Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I'd love an invite (ezimmermannATgmail.com) if any are still available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Ebjan posted:

Sent you one!

Got it, many thanks! :)

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Hi Goons! While I'm not going to ask for funding, I would highly appreciate a simple vote cast for a commercial I made:

http://windiecityshootout.com/vote/

It's the one entitled "Edward Zimmermann", and it's a tongue in cheek reference to the use of archetyp--oh just watch it.

Thanks!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

BonoMan posted:

...I didn't understand what it was a commercial for.

It's for a 72 hour film race. My idea was to make a few of them, each portraying a common archetypal character (Gruff Protagonist, Flighty Love Interest, Sniveling Henchman), but I got distracted by other things. Thanks for checking it out at least! :)

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

BonoMan posted:

Which isn't a bad idea at all, but if that video wasn't on the page describing what the contest was for I would have absolutely no idea what I was looking at. There needs to be a marriage of your idea and something indicating what it was for.

Yeah looking back at it, I definitely think you're right. I'll have to pay closer attention to that for any future spec projects I take on.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Dynastocles posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for inspiring people to donate?

I personally feel that every kickstarter project should have a video featuring the people involved so the audience can get some kind of emotional connection. How are you marketing the KS page? If it's a play, then your two audiences would be people who could possibly go to see it, or people who can't but still have a connection to the material. Are you marketing the KS page to those two audiences?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

SydneyRoad posted:

Yep, I'm here to solicit myself. I have a comic series and right now I'm on Volume 2. I just recently released Volume 1 for free. Now I'm looking for funding help for the second volume so I can continue the story.

Here's the link to my Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnkolsun/reshoot-volume-2-the-art-of-violence

That is an abhorrent voice over. Had to take my hand off the mouse to not mute it. I would really just rather hear a pitch from a normal person.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Noah posted:

I was always curious about what makes a Kickstarter or Indiegogo or whatever more successful than others. I don't mean kickstarter's that clearly haven't had effort put in, I mean the ones that have a solid product to deliver, reasonable goal expectations and well defined donor rewards set up. Is it the advertising that really brings in the donors?

Kickstarters just seem so fickle at times.

I think it's pretty straightforward. Crowdfunding campaigns can be categorized one of two ways: pandering for donations or pre-selling products.

Donation campaigns are what people use to generate money for films (for instance). Sure, some film campaigns offer tangible rewards (DVDs), but the main purpose of the campaign is to get the film funded. The DVD is an afterthought. These campaigns need to engage the audience emotionally and personally. Show me a video where the filmmakers connect with me and make me feel like I'm part of the team and I'll open my wallet. The campaigns that fail are the ones that feel clinical, focus too much on the gadgets or technology, and that don't inspire confidence that the filmmakers can accomplish what they set out to do. Personally, when I see tangible rewards for really low donation levels, that raises a huge red flag. Offering a DVD for a $15 donation is insane: it probably costs $3-4 in design, materials, time, postage, and customer service. So that's almost a third of my donation being lost in creating the reward.

All the top campaigns are for the pre-selling of products. These seem to succeed or fail based on the pedigree of the design team, the slickness of the pitch, and the value of the product. I don't care about becoming part of the team with these, I just want to receive my reward as portrayed and in a timely fashion.

I think good marketing will help any project, but good KS campaign management is the real key to blowing past your original goal and raking in the gravy bucks.

Edit:

VVV - donation campaign. The video is just a montage of still shots with some text interspersed. I feel no emotional connection to the material or the filmmakers. I don't feel like I'd be coming aboard as a team member. No clear description of how the budget will be spent. It's on Indiegogo, so even if they can't raise enough money to complete the project, they will still keep my money. If he was giving out DVDs at the $5 reward level it would almost be a perfect anti-fundraising campaign.

It's a shame, because I kinda liked his prior short Akbar Khan.

Jalumibnkrayal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 1, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Noah posted:

What do you mean by this?

The best crowdfunding campaigns I've seen regularly update with new content, interviews, etc. New stretch goals are laid out with graphics and/or video. Run it like an actual fundraiser and give your potential audience new content to chew as often as you can create it so they keep checking back in. Maybe you can convince the $10 donator to become a $20 donator?

I think if you're not spending 10 hours a week on your KS campaign you're leaving money on the table.

quote:

I'm curious because in a few months, maybe even July, I will be part of a group of guys who will be doing a Kickstarter/Indiegogo for an anthology of comics to be the flagship of a comic label the main guy has started. It'll be as you say, a pre-selling product, of something we are already creating with or without the kickstarter.

If you're willing to do it without crowdfunding, why should anyone give you money? I imagine it will be cheaper as a pre-order or have some other bonus content?

quote:

Like that Dead West Kickstarter above, it seems to deliver a fully realized product, the donor rewards seem well priced, and its seems clear what he is using the money for, and while his goal is a little lofty, he only seems to have gathered some $700 for it. Is it a lack of advertising? Or something else.

His video is poor quality. I don't know who the people on the project are or why they're doing it. To be honest it looks like two buddies are making a comic book, with one writing the story and the other doing the artwork. Instead of them doing it for free for the passion of it, they're asking for $12,000. Why? Are they going to use $8,000 in digital ink? Do they have to license Frankenstein's monster from the Mary Shelley estate? I don't know, but it's a poor pitch, and their campaign demonstrates that, in my opinion.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

eggyolk posted:

Self quoting because I didn't realize there is a Kickstarter specific thread.

Your work is gorgeous, but there's no video. You've got a $15 reward which is mailing a physical print as a reward: how much of the reward will that eat up (I'm ignorant and don't know what a giclee print is)?

Someone just glancing at your page might become confused because Hylonomica is similar enough in visual elements that it looks like you've already done the piece, or one nearly identical to a lepton like myself. You also mention wanting to publish a 20 page book of artwork at a cost of ~$50 per book. Is this the reward book you're giving away @ $80?

I think the main thing working against this campaign is that I don't get the feeling you need the money. If you've been making lots of centaur booby paintings already, why does this one need crowdfunding? I didn't read about anything about your life or process which necessitates this one needing crowdfunding. Did you lose your job(s)? Was there some emergency expense that now makes you choose between the art you love making and your two day jobs? You are very talented, but your pitch does not win me over.

Specifically I would suggest you ditch the photo of all your paints where you mention how much they cost. I get the feeling that as a donator I'd be reimbursing you for purchases you've already made, and that makes my wallet close pretty fast.

Edit: ^^^ How can it be made without the $5,400 in funding and remotely resemble the original project? This is why I don't ever support Indiegogo projects (sorry non-US folks).

Jalumibnkrayal fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 18, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

eggyolk posted:

Thanks for the advice Jalumibnkrayal. I revised the story to be more thorough about why I'm seeking crowd funding.

Now it's clear to me why you need crowdfunding. Excellent.

quote:

The video is still in the works. I might rush and film it with my cell phone if my friend with the nice DSLR doesn't come through soon.

IMO it's worth it. Shakycam cellphone videos don't inspire a lot of confidence. There will be a lot of people who will go to your page, watch the video, and make their decision before they scroll down and read what you've written.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

One of my best friends is planning on being on the crew making a documentary, and they're hoping to fund it with Kickstarter. They've got a decent crew with them and quite a lot of experience between them, I'm really looking forward to seeing the results. There's a lot of documentaries which are like "let me make a film about my bumfuck town, America, and I only need 500,000 US!"

Sometimes those costs are overblown, but many times they're just reasonable.

quote:

I'd love to see this documentary (there's not enough South American documentaries!), and for only 10k I think that's a really realistic/reasonable goal.

$10k to do what they are setting out to do is in no way reasonable. $8 a day in expenses (total) for the two hosts + however many crew? And this is projecting forward two years? Come on...this budget won't last a month let alone 18-24. $6,000 to edit + market + distribute? Is this guerilla marketing for something else?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

eggyolk posted:

Welp, after trying for three days to get footage for a video I'm going to go live without one. My studio is directly over the Brooklyn Queens Expressway so the noise drowns out everything. Seeing that Secret Darude CD's project succeeded without a video gives some hope.

Fair enough. Best of luck fellow Goon!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

OmNom posted:

Though it isn't exactly art related, I launched my food campaign 15 days ago. I would love some feedback that might help me draw in more funders. This money would make it so much easier to actually launch the new line effectively. Take a look at what I have and let me know what I can do better.

In the first 15 seconds you disparage IT workers, athletes, and doctors. You literally say people become doctors to get rich, but you make cookies "to help people". It takes over 60 seconds for you to get to what it actually is you're making (vegan cookies), and we never actually get to see the cookies in any appreciable size.

You also never talk about the product itself. What kinds of cookies are you making? How are they different from the ones already available in every grocery store everywhere? Doing a quick search on Walmart shows 78 matches for gluten-free cookies and 33 matches for vegan cookies. How much will they cost?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

TraderStav posted:

Hey guys, do you like Zombies? Do you also like terrifying and immersive experiences? Well, I am involved with a very bold Indiegogo campaign that I am sure will excite your senses. This is not a movie, nor a game, this is an actual REAL ZOMBIE AMUSEMENT PARK.

Ugh.

Do you have any experience with ANY of the aspects of this business? Have you ever run an amusement park? Have you ever run a combat LARP? Have you walked through a single one of these buildings with an inspector and gone, "Hey, so what would we have to do to make this safe enough for an indeterminate number of people to run around in very quickly and probably sleep in?" I would be shocked if it cost less than $200k just to set up and insure your parking lot.

I played NERO and similar combat LARPs for a decade, and even getting together 50 people to swing foam swords at each other at a campsite is a logistical and insurance nightmare. We had small one story cabins safe enough for boyscouts to use, and people got hurt very often. You're talking about residential and industrial ruins and stairwells and people running around at night. Are you high?

Plus enjoy the super awesome situation when someone's girlfriend gets turned into a zombie and she gets separated from her boyfriend and has to go join 30 strange men for the rest of the night.

This is hands down the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen. If you're out of highschool I don't know how this isn't ringing massive alarm bells in your head. Everyone has had this idea or a version of it. It doesn't exist for a very good reason.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

OmNom posted:

This video should have a more informative bent to it. Thoughts? And thanks for the feedback.

Personally I think this video is better. It shows the products, explains the hole in the market that they fill, explains why you need the money, etc. Any reason you're not putting this on Kickstarter?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

eggyolk posted:

You know, this is exactly what somebody did. :monocle:

Congrats! :)

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

TraderStav posted:

But gently caress yeah, this thing is going to be hard to pull off. That's why we need the money to figure it all out.

You can easily figure out how unrealistic your vision is before spending a single cent, let alone $145,000 of other people's money. People in this thread have explained this in detail, for free. It's not like you need to go shopping at the Knowledge Store and membership costs six figures. Just think about your idea for a bit, use Google, and you can save everyone a lot of time and money.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Edit: I am a moron. My apologies TraderStav.

Jalumibnkrayal fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 29, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

freaktrain posted:

Each character in the Z-Com Short will have their own sort of character teaser trailer that tries to build the character up a little more, since a 10-min short can't really do that.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice with this. First, you're putting up footage that doesn't look good. It's all handheld and wobbly, it's natural lighting, the audio isn't great, and for some reason you rendered it in some tiny resolution that is smaller than the kickstarter video window. None of this inspires confidence.

Second, you should decide what it is you want to make. The nice thing about a short film is that it's a snack for the mind: self contained, wraps up nicely, delicious. Why are you making teasers for a 10 minute short? Just make the short! If you were making a feature, I could see maybe having some tasty extra footage would be useful, but you're not...you're making a short.

Finally, $9,000 is a lot to make a short. With no significant social or topical tie-in, you really need to differentiate your short from the millions of other zombie projects in some way.

quote:

I want to put my Short in a number of festivals

Never ever say this. It's so common as to be meaningless. Instead, demonstrate that you've done the research on a handful of target festivals. What kinds of movies do they accept? What types tend to win? Who were the judges that year? Are they going to repeat the year you intend on submitting.

quote:

and hopefully turn it into something bigger.

It won't. Sorry, but it just won't. Don't make this hoping that someone will be so amazed by your "noble military type" character that they will put $100,000 in your pocket to make a feature around him. Realize that you're making a short film, and that the short film is a calling card and demonstration of your abilities, and strive to do your absolute best at that one thing.

I'm also skeptical about physical rewards at low donation levels. How much are the patches costing to produce and ship?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

OppositeOfLove posted:

I updated my Kickstarter with some new videos and more are coming - would you mind giving me some feedback?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1743646288/flotilla-a-post-apocolyptic-coming-of-age-tale

Why did you choose that setting and attire for your video? Your book isn't about hiking or sleeping on park benches, so it's kind of an odd choice. Even if all you have nearby is a small lake, your book is called Flotilla: pitch your KS in a boat!

But more seriously, something is definitely wrong with your campaign if you have 8,000 likes on FB, 700 followers on Twitter, and you only have $35 after a week. The fact that your fans don't want to give you any money at all is very troubling.

You say that the book is already written, edited, and published. Your business expenses after that point are really mundane: no one feels like a hero because they donated money for you to buy Google ads.

I also think it's shady that you're implying that your novel could transcend fiction and actually save our oceans. Plus your two tongue-in-cheek updates about free food might rub people the wrong way if they don't know you're joking.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

OppositeOfLove posted:

I know, it's making me crazy too. I can kill the updates - I was experimenting to see what people would respond to.

So the videos look weird and I should re-shoot?

Scrap the project entirely or what?

I was all for shooting the video in a boat but I don't have one and the dock I was going to shoot on was taken over by fisherman so this was a last-second alternative.

In your campaign I believe you ask for the money to let you pay these expenses while writing your next novel. Why not just do a KS campaign to write the novel? That's a much easier sell for everyone involved. But I'm just one person so I don't know.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

I think you're going to be a victim of your own success. You're going to mail me a print to order comic book with color for $5? You're going to mail me a 110 page comic book for $15? That + promo cards + t-shirt for $50? I think your rewards need to be shifted toward a few tiers. $5 should be PDF of one comic, $15 PDF of the anthology, then at $25 someone gets a print copy of Afterman, $50 they get the anthology.

By all accounts, fulfilling physical rewards loving sucks, and very few campaigns seem to take into account the cost of shipping materials, the time to ship them, quality control, shipping costs, etc. What if someone's gets damaged or lost in the mail? What if there is a printing error?

The project packaging is a little odd. You're launching a comic + an anthology of 15 comics. Why not an anthology of 16 comics? Also the name of the anthology: I really thought it consisted of comics about being in college and gaining weight.

I haven't read a comic in ages so I can't predict your success based on the material, but the artwork you show and your personalities are enjoyable. I think you'll meet your $3000 goal. Unfortunately you launched on IG, with flexible funding, so it's going to turn a lot of people off on that basis alone.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

codyclarke posted:

However, I can't make Siobhan on a Shredder or Rehearsals budget. It's just not possible. There are many locations, including several unavoidably expensive ones, and we also need much more equipment than the bare amount I own. Every penny of that $20,000 will be seen on screen.

Then why are you running a flexible funding campaign?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Noah posted:

We aren't looking to make scads of money, we just want to get our product in the hands of our donors with as low a cost as we can. We're working with a printer that we fully trust and are confident moving forward with them on all issues ranging from printing errors to quality control.

I guess it's significantly cheaper to print this stuff than I thought. Awesome. :)

quote:

The main reason why Afterman and The Freshmen Fifteen are bundled separately is so that both intellectual properties are distinct in their own right. Also Afterman is in full color where as the anthology is in black and white except for the color cover.

Makes sense. I guess it also doesn't hurt to have two products at different pricepoints at your convention booth.

quote:

If our biggest problem is shipping a ton of books, we will be glad to take on that problem. Thank you for the feedback though, and being very courteous about it. We really appreciate anyone who gives us a look.

Thanks for sharing the project.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

BirdOfPlay posted:

So, considering we only have one tier (at $15) and sinse this is a prepayment campaign, would we actually be better served at IndieGoGo? (Note, RocketHub has been ruled out because it lacks "all-or-nothing")

I don't see why you'd be better off at IG over KS. IG has a smaller audience, but maybe T-shirt projects do better there? KS has a special category if you have a video and are seeking less than $1,000.

quote:

Regardless of platform, will we be shown how much our backers actually backed us with beyond what tier level they reached? (i.e. a backer in Denmark only pays $15 for the shirt)

I'm sure it does, as people manually input an amount they're donating, then click on one of the reward levels they qualify for.

quote:

And, related, can we withhold the reward because they didn't cover the additional shipping requirements?

Why not make a second reward tier for international shipping?

quote:

And yes, we're practically ready to launch the Kickstarter now. So, these are all probably just pre-game jitters mixed anxiety about learning a different approach (IndieGoGo) right before launch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Why don't you release your image publicly then people who really want it can plug it into CafePress or one of the other shops? I know it will be more expensive, but we're talking a difference of $10-15 per shirt right? Is such a miniscule level of savings worth the hassle of all this? It just seems like there are so many opportunities for things to go wrong (wrong size, printer fuckups, "lost" shirts). You can take all those problems onto your shoulders, or you can pay a little bit more and make them CafePress' problems.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

OppositeOfLove posted:

This is after a bunch of effort, re-shoots, editing, negotiation and learning After Effects overnight to bring in the graphics. Dying to know what you think. And, for comparison, here's my original video that made people hate me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAMxVawKNvY

Your campaign is a disaster.

The videos are better shot. I don't think the fake static or after effects really add anything, but that might just be me griping. The video you made with that lady is kinda compelling: she is selling it very well. But her connection to the material isn't clear, so it feels like an odd paid spokesperson gig. Referencing the kickstarter campaign at all is an odd choice, at it makes it hard for you to include that video in further fundraising (without editing). In the video she also proclaims that you have fans all over the world, and that your next novel will be a smash hit. These claims fly directly in the face of the fact you can't raise a few hundred dollars on KS.

Your message is still a mess. The first paragraph of your KS campaign is:

"The hottest indie teen sci-fi novel of 2012 will be the hottest indie sci-fi teen series of 2013! Work isn't boring if you're naked!"

It just screams that you're not taking the project seriously. Further down in your description you have the big header "FLOTILLA IS FOR YOU!" followed by a bullet list of negative characteristics ("If you think it's okay to be pretty and dumb", etc). When people normally encounter a large bold header followed by a bullet list, they associate the header with what follows.

You're at 1% of your goal with 10 days left. I think your effort and clout would be better spent thinking about your post-KS plan. Hence why it was an odd decision to get a spokesperson to pimp a stillborn crowdfunding campaign instead of the IP itself.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

BirdOfPlay posted:

So I guess the real thing is, I just want to see if it'll work out after having seem other such projects just not really even try. Granted, interest has probably completely fizzled by this point (I'm still waiting for the KS to be reviewed over the entirety of this weekend), but I'm only planning on quitting this thing once the KS fails.

I just can't grasp why you'd want to take on this kind of responsibility and liability for a tiny print run of a t-shirt about a thread on a comedy forum. At least tell me that you have another dozen t-shirt designs lined up and you're going to use this as a promotional opportunity to found your design company. If your answer is to really set this whole thing up just to make 50 prints of a t-shirt, I don't know what to say.

quote:

Plus, this way, the creator has a chance to know if people really are out there with his shirt.

Just provide the link to the pre-made cafepress t-shirt and you'll definitely know how many people have ordered it.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

MSubjack posted:

My name is Michael Subjack and I'm currently trying to raise funds for the opening scene of my feature-length adaptation of Eerie, Indiana, an NBC show that ran from 1991-92 (I imagine a few of you remember it). I was able to get Joe Dante to speak on behalf of the project (very cool guy) and I'm trying to raise a lot of money to make this happen. Obviously donations are awesome but raising awareness for it is also very useful at this stage. If you can help in any way, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

J4KS is now a thing I guess.

$90,000 to film an opening scene of an adaptation of a single season show from the early 90s. And, of course, it's a flexible funding campaign.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

MSubjack posted:

And it's a flexible funding campaign because $90,000 is a lot but I can still make it work for less than that. I mention that in the description, if you missed it.

Whats the absolute minimum you need to make it work? If you receive less than that amount, will you refund people? Of course not, because if you were ok with this, you'd do a fixed funding campaign for the real minimum.

quote:

What does "of course" imply? I can send you a budget outline if you're that curious.

It's very common right now for people to put up flex funding campaigns for everything under the sun, because any money that comes in is "free money". You set an absurdly high goal which won't be met, so then you can tell your donators thanks for their help but you can't really do anything with the $3,000 you raised. Then you make vague gestures that you're going to continue looking for fundraising elsewhere blah blah blah.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

MSubjack posted:

If you're not interested in the project, fine. Implying I'm going to walk with people's money is pretty lovely, though.

I can be curt sometimes, however: you join the forums and in your first post you ask for $90,000. You claim you've been a filmmaker since you were 14 yet you don't talk about or link to your past work. These are reasons to be skeptical, right? Now, it looks like you've got some other stuff uploaded to the same account that hosts the IG video, but I doubt many people are going to go looking for it. Which is a shame because it shows what you're capable of.

I apologize for questioning your motives.

But here's a question that is actually pertinent: have you secured the rights to make this adaptation?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

MSubjack posted:

I've got Vimeo and YouTube pages which are easy enough to seek out. Crowd funding videos should be succinct and honestly, I've never found a few seconds from somebody's short or commercial to be necessarily indicative of them as filmmakers. lovely movies can have dynamite trailers. Maybe I've lost a few potential donations because I didn't include a five second clip of a short film I did but I doubt it's going to make a substantial difference in the long run.

How much do you expect to raise with the campaign at this point? Do you think you'll make the $90k? Do you expect to get over half? You seem to be confident in your approach to crowdfunding, so I'm interested where your expectations are.

quote:

As for the rights, I've hired an attorney to help me with that and we have closed in on who has them. It's not easy getting a straight answer because I'm not a major studio with millions at my disposal but it is something I'm working hard on and taking very seriously. So that's about as "legit" as I can be, at least on an internet message board.

Just so we're clear, you had filmmaking professionals and instructors greenlight this project despite the fact that you haven't even found out if the rights are available? What's the game plan if you can't get the rights? I can't be the first person to ask you these questions.

quote:

I was honestly under the impression everything everyone needed to know was on the IndieGoGo page.

I didn't see the part on your page where you talk about how you don't have the rights yet. If I make an IG campaign to make Star Wars Episodes 7-9, whether I have the rights or not is kind of a big deal. Maybe I have Carrie Fisher talk it up in the video, but it doesn't mean I can legally do the thing I am asking money to do.

quote:

I addressed not raising the full amount and the quality of the video should indicate I have some skill in filmmaking. I was able to get a major filmmaker to speak on it and it's a property that doesn't have a Twin Peaks or Star Trek-level following but it still has a following. Why would I try anything nefarious if I'm being that open? What's left to be skeptical of? Even my message board name on here is my real name.

Google tells me you also have threads on CHUD and NeoGaf about this project. Neither of those threads have gotten a single reply. You even have a post history on CHUD. Until I did, it looks like no one actually engaged you about your project. Why do you think that is?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

MSubjack posted:

At this point, we're going in circles. What's left? You can ask me all the questions you want but based on YOUR post history, you have a tendency to heavily criticize anyone doing crowd funding without making any contributions, so why am I trying to justify myself and my project to you? Based on the two guys who posted after you, the smug "I'm hitting you with some truth" attitude doesn't really seem to apply. You're hitting me with your truth and if this thread is any indication, you're pretty alone there.

I'm sorry I've wasted your time. You are eager for me to stop asking questions so I'll comply.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

The Scarlet Hot Dog posted:

Thank you guys in advance for any support, and thank you ExtraNoise for the thread. This project has been a year in the making, and a lot of love has been put into this. :hfive: 29 days to go!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awesomerobo/awesomerobo-apparel

Very well put together campaign. I hope you have some stretch goals in mind.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

ZnCu posted:

I'm doing a little Kickstarter to try to create a line of plush toys based on a character from my comic:

It's a good looking plush toy, and the shot where he's leering over the blue robot was goofy in a great way. I think you would have really benefited by getting a tripod and a slider to do a more professional video.

Showing us the product is half the objective. Who are you? What inspired you to make this rust monster plushy? This is an incredible opportunity to get people to notice not only this one product, but you and your brand. Don't squander it.

quote:

The hardest part was coming up with the reward tiers, since other than "one of them toys there" I didn't really know what else to offer.

Accessories. Make unique themed hats at the $100 level. Construction hat, pirate hat, ninja mask, tripoint cap, chefs hat, baseball cap, etc. The only thing better than a cute goofy thing is one with a silly hat on it. At the $150 level, include a Bag of Dice Holding that has velcro that attaches to his hands or on his back or something.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Wright posted:

Just a little update on the fine art prints inspired by Breaking Bad posted earlier in the thread.

If you haven't been keeping up with the show, just be careful with that link because there's a pretty big spoiler illustrated.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Iucounu posted:

I am one half of a two man band. I'm out of the country for the foreseeable future, and we need high quality band pictures!

I need someone who is very good at photoshop to piece together some high res band photos for us. We need them within the next couple of days.

Because we are starting from scratch, you can tell us what you need from us for source images.

I am willing to pay decent money for these services, let me know what you think is reasonable.

Thanks!

band at heavymeta dot net

If you don't get much of a response from this thread (pretty much used for crowdfunding projects) you can try http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1450923 or just making a new thread in SA-Mart.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Lanithro posted:

We've just launched a campaign on IndieGoGo for our indie film, Panic.
We're hoping to raise 20k in a little more than a month, and you can help us do it!

We shot a concept trailer over a weekend which is tacked onto the end of the campaign video, so please check it out.

(I know you're just the DP, but this is a critique of the crowdfunding campaign so most of it is probably for the producer/campaign manager)

The good:

You have a video.
The filmmaker talks to his prospective donors about the project.
The rewards won't consume a majority of the money donated.
You offer some insight into the tone of the film.

The not so good:

Your project is based in the US, but you're on Indiegogo. You're going to get significantly fewer projects views than if you launched on Kickstarter. Therefore you need to have a much higher donation rate to make up for this.

You have a flexible funding campaign. This tends to project insecurity about the project (at best). This is further muddled in the campaign description by saying that the $20k is actually seed money to take to a production studio or something in hopes someone will match it to increase the budget further. Or if you only raise $20k, you will make it for this microbudget amount. What if you only raise $5k? What happens then? Can you deliver the same kind of film you pitched? Probably not.

You have a 45 day campaign. Shorter campaigns tend to do better than longer ones. All campaigns suffer from a lull in the middle, so all that's happening is you're having a longer lull period. The first few days and the last few days are all that matter for the majority of campaigns.

I think the filmmaker pitch could have used a few more takes. He's nervous, and that's fine because he's a behind the camera person. But you can work on it and do it a few times until it's just solid. It's just like a scene in a movie: he's the actor, he has a script, and he has to nail his beats. It's not worth taking chances over.

The concept trailer tries to do too much. The stills look good, but the video is handheld, the audio (especially in the fast food place) is troublesome, and the fight scene is unconvincing. Again, I think a well rehearsed single scene that let you focus on the acting and tone would have served you better. The interaction in the car has eye line problems (driver is looking at someone in the back seat).

You've got a shot if you have a really in depth marketing plan to pimp this campaign. If you're just linking it on facebook, you're probably not going to raise more than $3,000. Good luck.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

doczoid posted:

My first venture into this crowd funding thingie (in Australia so had to go with indiegogo):

Anti-mold lens caps!

A video would be a good idea. Your rewards are also kind of abstract. Pay money now for a discount later isn't as easy a sell as pay money now for the product later. Why not pick a few common lens cap sizes and give $20 donors one of their choice?

Any reason why you are going with flexible funding? You can still do fixed funding on IG. What if you don't raise enough to hit the MOQ amount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

The Tragic Hero posted:

Anyone remember Neovella? If not, good! I'm launching https://www.pen.fm soon as a reincarnation of Neovella, and more!

I don't know anything about online publishing.

The quality of the video leaves a lot to be desired. Inconsistent cellphone footage of a bunch of caricatures using your product is not a convincing demo. The title sequences are very low effort: no capitalization, buzzwords, etc. Finally, I don't know why you need $25K. Did medical bills just pop up? Someone about to get evicted? Those are things that people can relate to. But if you just want to get paid for doing something you're going to do anyway, that's a much harder sell.

Is this a social game? The video makes it seem like this guy starts off writing something, then gets trolled, but enjoys being trolled and people dogpile on. I got a definite DrawSomething vibe from it. There also seems to be a timer that counts down when people are writing. I would have preferred a straightforward video that talks about the service and showcases a serious collaborative effort. But then I realized that you can pretty much do that with Google Drive + Gchat right now.

But then in the IG campaign it talks about publishing. Apparently Amazon charges too much for self-publishers, but I didn't see specifics on how much your site will charge. As rewards you offer publishing credits, but what do those get you? What are the legal ramifications of me trying to sell a work that both myself and another person worked on? Even if you are cheaper than Amazon, how will you measure up in terms of exposure? While actually turning a word doc into an e-reader capable file is an obstacle for some authors, I bet the bigger reason they sign on to Amazon is because of the massive customer base.

I think the social writing game idea is cool, and I think more publishing competition is cool. I just don't know about them being packaged together. And I guess I'm getting old, but the idea of creating another account on another website just makes me feel fatigued. Especially when it's a friend-circle setup, so not only do I have to make an account, I have to get my friends to as well.