Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blobman
Mar 17, 2001
Forum Veteran
Hello fine citizens of the Internet! I haven't posted on SA in years, so please bare with me if I make any gaffs in posting or etiquette. I tried to be mindful of the rules, but if I missed something let me know and I'll fix it.

I remember SA having some extremely talented members and I need matte painting help. I directed and shot a 15,000 graduate film about four years ago that I am still working on. It's a post-apocalyptic romantic comedy about nuclear winter. It's been an incredibly complicated learning process which was made harder by having to pay off the debt myself, finish school, and move to LA. It's forced me to learn Mocha, Nuke, Illustrator, After Effects, a bit of Cinema 4d and Boujou, and is threatening me with Dpit 2.

While I can make a workable composite, rotoscope well, erase a dude/building from a shot, and perform some cludgy camera projection mapping, I am hopeless with digital matte paintings. I've been trying to do all the digital work myself as I have almost no money to pay anyone, but I have to ask for help if this project is ever going to get finished. I've been trying and my Photoshop skills can't bridge the gap to make my matte painted shots believable. I have about 12 shots of people running around outside through a destroyed city. I also have two shots which need to take barren locations and make them lush and green (Denver's weather did the opposite of what was needed for 5 straight shoots). I have a lot of reference photography from the locations and I need someone to create the paintings/composites in .PSD form split by depth.

The movie was shot in Denver and an old missile bunker in Nebraska.

I am seeking a digital matte painter or a Photoshop compositor which can work using my reference photos or images that are royalty free.

https://vimeo.com/18906978 This should introduce what my work looks like.

http://www.krisboruff.com/blog/ This should give you an insight into the sort of work that has gone into the film so far. There are also some before and after shots from the film.

Here is an example shot from the film of what I've been trying:
Original:

Attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

Reasonably successful matte composite:

Before:

After:

If people would like to see more, I can post some of the other work and a few of the complicated monitor replacements I went through. If anyone has questions or is interested in getting involved, please message me.

Thanks for your time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU