Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

With Mega Man 10's recent announcement, I feel a Mega Man discussion thread is in order. I'll go with the format of the successful Zelda thread.

In the year of 1987, a super franchise named Mega Man was created. Its said that Capcom originally wanted to make an Astro Boy game, but couldn't get the rights, so they went ahead and made their own property instead. The series probably has more sequels and spin offs than Zelda and Mario combined. The main series is approaching its tenth installment, 11 games in the X series, 4 in the Zero series, 2 in the ZX series, and 2 in the Legends series. Unlike the Zelda franchise, there is a mostly logical timeline. There are of course, other spin offs in other universes and such like the Battle Network games.

Most Mega Man games follow the same basic formula. Defeat 8 Robot Masters, steal their powers, and defeat Dr. Wily. What sets Mega Man apart from other games at the time was the ability to play through the Robot Master's stages in any order. Each Robot Master is weak to another Robot Master's power, so the goal was to figure out the best order to go through the game with.

Edit: Spikes kill you in one it. Don't touch them.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Characters:
Mega Man

Our hero, Mega Man (also known as Rockman) is basically a janitor robot, called to duty to save humanity from the evil Dr. Wily. He has a mega buster used to blow poo poo up.

Dr. Light

Raped Sue Dibney and was lobotomized by Zatanna, this eventually lead to the downfall of the Justice League when Batman...wait, wrong Dr. Light.

Dr. Thomas Light

Creator of Mega Man. His goal is to preserve the utopian society in which the game takes place. His arch rival is...

Dr. Albert Wily

Dr. Wily the series's antagonist. He may not be as menacing as Ganondorf, but at least he's got a better personal trainer than Dr. Robotnik. Now, if only he could balance his budget.

Protoman

Mega Man's mysterious brother. Is he good? Is he evil? Is he a jerk? Nobody knows.

Rush

Flying dog.

Next: Mega Man 1.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Still praying for mega man legends 3. Also don't forget about the sweet cartoon show they used to have.

thatsdumb youredumb
Sep 9, 2002

crime fighting hog posted:

Still praying for mega man legends 3. Also don't forget about the sweet cartoon show they used to have.

Fighting... to save... the world! World! World! World! World!

The Year 20XX
Mar 26, 2008

Minimal typos.

I remember the Mega Man X episode of that show, the crossover blew my mind at the time.

DriveC
Oct 27, 2008

Going to Gamestop at midnight for Halo: ODST. Didn't pre order. The guy on the phone told me I *might* get a copy. Whatever dude.
Am I alone in greatly preferring the X series to the main series? The 8-bit games are too rigid for my taste. The SNES X games are all pretty much awesome and while the PSX games are getting into crazy territory with the animes and generally ridiculous poo poo I still prefer them to the main series.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

DriveC posted:

Am I alone in greatly preferring the X series to the main series?

I too preferred the X series. After playing X and X2 I just couldn't get into the older games.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DriveC posted:

Am I alone in greatly preferring the X series to the main series? The 8-bit games are too rigid for my taste. The SNES X games are all pretty much awesome and while the PSX games are getting into crazy territory with the animes and generally ridiculous poo poo I still prefer them to the main series.

I actually prefer the 8-bit gameplay, but I wish to god that they put SNES L-R weapon swap in Mega Man 10. It's a pain in the rear end having to pause every time, and that's just an accessibility feature, really.

While I'm wishing, I hope to god Mega Man 10 is easy enough for me to play it. I can beat maybe two stages in 9, and the sheer rear end in a top hat difficulty is enough to put me off ever touching it again. I can beat Mega Man 2 and at least make some progress in others, but the fun just disappears for me when I have to make so many pixel-perfect jumps.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I actually prefer the 8-bit gameplay, but I wish to god that they put SNES L-R weapon swap in Mega Man 10. It's a pain in the rear end having to pause every time, and that's just an accessibility feature, really.

I really like using the wiimote as an NES controller, but I wouldn't be opposed to weapon swap if they mapped it to the wiimote's A and B buttons.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Mega Man X is probably my favorite game ever, despite never, EVER being able to finish off Sigma. I just can't kill him. Never even put a dent in his health meter. Everything else in the game is just great. I found just about everything other than the Street Fighter Fireballwithout any guides.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I too prefer the X series, simply because I can dash everywhere at blinding speed. I really hate what the X series has become though and I really hope they do an X9 that's an SNES remake, ie: MM9 and 10

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The original series has overall more consistent quality, but when the X series is good it is bloody good so it balances out a bit. X6 was an abomination though, after that I just stopped with the series. I hear X7 isn't much better, but X8 is a bit of a return to form.

I thought 9 was perfect difficulty-wise (if you die it's usually your own fault) and it became my second favorite in the series next to 3 after beating it, so I'm looking forward to 10.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Japanese sourcebooks for these games have so many weird details. Including what Units the Mavericks in X used to belong to, what the Units were, et cetera.

Also that Dr. Light is a Texan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

Also that Dr. Light is a Texan.

Holy crap. This explains why Dr. Light's songs by The Protomen have that western feel to them.

Tazzo da Clown
Oct 21, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Its said that Capcom originally wanted to make an Astro Boy game, but couldn't get the rights, so they went ahead and made their own property instead.

Mega Man even looks a bit like Astro Boy in the ending of the first game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kduzi0ZyKjY

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Why do you say 11 games in the X series, but only 10 of the original? Are you counting games things like Xtreme, but not the GB Mega man ones? How about the Mega Man & Bass, or the Power Battles, Soccer?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

Why do you say 11 games in the X series, but only 10 of the original? Are you counting games things like Xtreme, but not the GB Mega man ones? How about the Mega Man & Bass, or the Power Battles, Soccer?

I was taking a look at what Wikipedia said. I don't know much about the X games, honestly. I wasn't even gonna begin to count the other spin off games.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
This would seem to be the correct thread to post a link to the Protomen website.

For my part, I've been grinding through 9 for the past month. God drat that's a hard game but every minor victory is like the second coming of the lord.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I prefer X1,X2, and X3 to anything that came after it. Megaman Zero I dislike the designs, game mechanics, and there's too much plot factoring in to everything. X1,X2,X3 had a bit more plot than classic, but not much more.

I also have three games from the Battle Network games, which I have a love hate relationship with since I LOVE their battle system but it is the only part of the game I like.

DriveC
Oct 27, 2008

Going to Gamestop at midnight for Halo: ODST. Didn't pre order. The guy on the phone told me I *might* get a copy. Whatever dude.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the music yet. The whole X series has pretty consistently excellent music. My personal favorite from X1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYdSLaVu9p4&feature=related

Tazzo da Clown
Oct 21, 2008

DriveC posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the music yet. The whole X series has pretty consistently excellent music. My personal favorite from X1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYdSLaVu9p4&feature=related

The fan community for the music is also great. Of course there's OCRemix, but there's also a ridiculous amount of doujin albums available in Japan.

Example, the album Megalomania by Dangerous Mezashi Cat:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2E1EEE4EA09F2C9A

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

This would seem to be the correct thread to post a link to the Protomen website.

For my part, I've been grinding through 9 for the past month. God drat that's a hard game but every minor victory is like the second coming of the lord.

I'm gonna do a whole write up on these guys, I just wanna do reviews of the first few games beforehand. They're easily one of my favorite bands.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Every Mega Man game that is not Mega Man 2 is inferior because they lack the Metal Blade.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
How can you make an OP for a Mega Man appreciation thread and not have a gigantic picture of spikes?

gently caress spikes.

Also, gently caress spikes at the very bottom of really long drops that you have absolutely no time to react to.

Further, gently caress spikes at the very bottom of really long drops lines with spikes that you have absolutely no time to react to.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have made an amendment to the OP.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Psyker posted:

How can you make an OP for a Mega Man appreciation thread and not have a gigantic picture of spikes?

gently caress spikes.

Also, gently caress spikes at the very bottom of really long drops that you have absolutely no time to react to.

Further, gently caress spikes at the very bottom of really long drops lines with spikes that you have absolutely no time to react to.

You thought the current spikes were bad? Just imagine if Wily had his way! :science:

*edit*
I'm blind :eng99:

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 12, 2009

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~

Not trying to be a dick, but it's in the second post.

riding gravity
May 7, 2007

Still praying for mega man legends 3.

At this point I'd be happy if they released Megaman Legends on the PSN. Come on Capcom!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tell me about the Megaman RPGs. There's at least 10 of these loving things on the handhelds alone. Are any of them any good?

DocBrown
Apr 11, 2007

by Ozma
Mega Man 10 better finally bridge Mega Man X. They don't even have to end the series just make some allusions.

riding gravity
May 7, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Tell me about the Megaman RPGs. There's at least 10 of these loving things on the handhelds alone. Are any of them any good?

I only ever played the very first Megaman Battle Network on the GBA. I loved it at the time, it's pretty lighthearted with a neat setting and an involved and customizable battle system. Soon after I stopped playing RPGs altogether so I never got into any of the 6 billion other iterations.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
How did you NOT post this in the OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUEO9Mfmn4M

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Megaman-inspired music/videos? I got another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUEO9Mfmn4M

Megaman 2 nerd-rap. It gets awesome 40 seconds in.

Edit: Motherfucker^^

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 12, 2009

DocBrown
Apr 11, 2007

by Ozma
Let's all post obscure Megaman stuff and be shocked that it wasn't posted already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAeU3-w92lU

Megaman vs all Megaman 2 bosses at once reprogrammed game.

DocBrown fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 12, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Most of the MM9 arrange album sucked but the Tornado Man arrangement by the MM8 guy is awesome (original here).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I always liked the vocal audio, despite how drag and drop it probably was to put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmnCJ9RFMqw

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Liquid Penguins posted:

Awesome video. Crash Man is the best part.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Liquid Penguins posted:

The better question is how I made it so far in life without having seen something so awesome.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
Since someone mentioned The Protomen, I'm going to have to mention some completely awesome guys: The Megas (http://www.myspace.com/themegas - my personal favorite is "The Annihilation of Monsteropolis").

Also, while I grew up playing the original series since the first one, I also think that the good X games are certainly near perfect. I really wish they didn't make as many bad ones as they did, though. I own all of them, but haven't beaten anything since 5 because of how terrible they were. I hear X8 fixed a lot of stuff, but after 7 I just didn't give enough of a drat to play it at the time. Not sure why I bought it at the time, but I guess I'll give it a shot in the future at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well, while we're posting awesome Mega Man themed videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OJqdthb0jA