Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Boxman posted:

I hear they're going to put Straw Man in this one. :v:

What? How is that a strawman? Do you even know what that term means?

quote:

So, 2 and 3 are "unplayable?" :what: Those're probably the two best in the original series.

We're venturing into "opinion" territory here. I understand most people think 2 and 3 are the best, I personally disagree, possibly because I didn't get into Megaman that early. They're by no means bad games, I just prefer the ones with the charge shot. I mainly played the X series and the Game Boy games.

Orgophlax posted:

Any word on 10 being released for 360/PS3 also yet, or Wii still the only one mentioned?

They did this with MM9 as well. They announced it for Wiiware first and then later revealed it for the other two systems. No such announcement has been made yet for this one, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Cabbagepots posted:

What? How is that a strawman? Do you even know what that term means?

My love for puns has become my undoing. You're right, it's really more of an ad hominem. But "Ad Hominem Man" doesn't make any sense. :v:

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Swilo posted:

It was the same guys who did 9, right? Makes sense that the first wouldn't be so great if they had no experience, guess I'll cheat my way through that fight (I have literally given up at that spot on three separate playthroughs years apart) and finish it to play the others.

Yes, it was the same people - Inti Creates. I'm a bad fan and need to pick up 9 still. I'm really looking forward to the challenge. And more so now with 10. Sheep Man is awesome.

I want huge poster art of the covers of 9 and 10 in my living room. Too bad they only seem to be available in weird press kits.

Also - has anyone else had 'lag' issues with any of the collections for PS2/GC? I haven't had my Nintendo hooked up for ages, and felt like playing some old MM games a few months ago, and I couldn't for the life of me get past the jumps at the beginning of Toad Man's stage in MM4. I swear I couldn't have pressed the buttons any faster. Anyone else run into this?

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 13, 2009

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

What have I started?

I loved Mega Man as a kid, but my adult self just doesn't have the patience for them anymore. Mega Man games are hard and incredibly unforgiving. But I appreciate them for what they are, and they have provided me with some good times in my life.

You know Detective No. 27, I started my Zelda thread with a Question avatar, and look what happened to it. Maybe a kickass Mega Man avatar is in your future!

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked
I've always been a Mega Man fan and I got 9 when it first came out, but I never got the chance to play through all of the games. Fortunately someone I know lent me their copy of Mega Man Anniversary Collection and so I'm going through Mega Man 5.

Maybe it's because I was so indoctrinated by my childhood experiences, but while I found Mega Man games difficult they never felt particularly unfair, at least out of the original series. The X series is another matter entirely. Not only is it too unforgiving but it also has a few too many bells and whistles in my opinion.

One thing I really liked about 9 which I hope they continue with 10 is that the boss fights are all fun and for the most part difficult (the main exception being Galaxy man). I liked how even knowing the boss's patterns didn't necessarily make it an easy fight, and it's something that doesn't always happen in Mega Man games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RipVTide posted:

OK not cool you did not just call the Mega Man I-V spin off games.

I was referring to Mega Man Soccer, Power Battles, Battle Network, ect.

MokBa posted:

You know Detective No. 27, I started my Zelda thread with a Question avatar, and look what happened to it. Maybe a kickass Mega Man avatar is in your future!

I was considering on doing this exact thing on payday.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Megaman owns, I love these game's brutal difficulty and awesome music. Just real fun games to play overall. With that said I can't wait for Mega Man 10

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Did Megaman always have brutal gameplay? My memory may have just failed me, but to me there was a MASSIVE leap in difficulty after Megaman 3. Only recently I played one of the PS1 Megaman X games, and it was loving nuts. There was a driving segment at the beginning of one of the stages that made Battletoads' look simple.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did Megaman always have brutal gameplay? My memory may have just failed me, but to me there was a MASSIVE leap in difficulty after Megaman 3. Only recently I played one of the PS1 Megaman X games, and it was loving nuts. There was a driving segment at the beginning of one of the stages that made Battletoads' look simple.

Are you talking about X5's Squid Adler stage for the Jetbike section? I wouldn't exactly put that in the same category as the turbo tunnel for difficulty. Then again, i've always found X games far easier than Classic games simply due to X having far better air maneuverability than Megaman.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

Are you talking about X5's Squid Adler stage for the Jetbike section? I wouldn't exactly put that in the same category as the turbo tunnel for difficulty. Then again, i've always found X games far easier than Classic games simply due to X having far better air maneuverability than Megaman.
Maybe, I dunno. I just remember it being fast as all gently caress and Megaman (and his bike)'s sprite being HUGE and the screen area being comparatively small, so you couldn't see what was coming until literally a tenth of a second before it would kill you. I mean, through trial and error I eventually got it, but drat.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The only game in the original series I'd consider to be over-the-top difficult is the first one, with 5 and 6 being several shades easier than the others (maybe not 4 but who remembers anything about 4?). I'm used to the Wily Wars versions of the first three games so playing the originals on the GC collection always fucks me over due to some of the timing differences (Gemini Man!).

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006
Reading this thread reminded me of that live action Mega Man film someone was working on. It's one of those no-budget kinds of films.

http://www.megamanfilm.com/

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Orgophlax posted:

I do hope they bridge the gap between classic and X with this one though. Or at least start to.

There's a short appearance of an under-construction Zero in the arcade game
Megaman: The Power Fighters.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Can't wait for MM10. I really liked 9, really felt like I was a kid again and playing a Megaman game! That feeling of setting a brand new list of bosses, not knowing which levels to do first and what's ahead of me, it's a feeling I hadn't experienced for a long time!

I agree that the newer games just don't work...the controls are never as "tight" and they try to add too much unnecessary poo poo. I never liked the excess of poo poo in the X games, all of this boosting, wall hugging, scanning...it worked for the game but it seemed to make the core series too bloated.

I like how detractors of the retro style say that they want a modern update, when we list off games where it didn't work well they just say something like "well, those games weren't that good, but they could do better"! Yeah, like Capcom intentionally made those games bad or something, they've tried and it just doesn't work! The 8-bit series is really the gold standard for Megaman, it has perfect controls, plays well, and is fairly balanced. I'd rather have a retro game that I'll enjoy playing than some souped up crap that has no soul. Really, Megaman is the poster game for one that keeps trying to innovate and stay relevant despite all flaws, but people usually just complain that they're not the Megaman experience that we want. How ironic that after years of trying to push the series forward, we've come full circle with Capcom realizing exactly why we used to like Megaman games.

Megaman should never be a 3D-based game, just think of all of the problems that could potentially come across (and likely would) that will never occur in a 2D game. Legends was fantastic because they realized that it wouldn't work, and went in a completely different direction that fit the game style.

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 13, 2009

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Gammatron 64 posted:

Man, I'm so happy they're making another. If they just keep making one NES Megaman after another until the end of time, I will gladly buy every single one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I already gladly buy each and every new 2D Castlevania, too. If it's fun, I don't care if it's "innovative" and "fresh". I shameless;y admit that I am a nostalgia whore!

Agreed 100%. Mega Man is perfect the way it is. I'll look to other games or even different Mega Man spinoffs for something new. The general formula for the NES games is just so perfect, that I'd gladly play a new entry with nothing more than new levels and bosses every year until the end of existence, and happy as hell about it.

That being said, I really would like to see even a vague allusion to the gap between the original series and the X games, even if it's just something vague to speculate on.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm playing through Mega Man 1 again and goddamn is this game loving hard. Isn't this one the hardest in the series?

oaajbs
Aug 29, 2005

Fear the reaper!

Czar Like Stick posted:

The Gameboy Megaman IV & V games were even better than the NES games. That's where all the shops & new abilities originate in the main series.

I wish they would remake these for Wiiware. I hated trying to play on such a small colorless screen.

Also as for MM 10, I drifted into a coma when Sheepman was announced.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
I highly recomend watching Oyster's"Super Adventure Rockman" Let's Play, it's a fun fmv game that was originally only available to play in Japan, but Oyster translated it into English for so now we can all enjoy it together in this very well done lp.

As far as Mega Man 10 goes, I'm slightly disapointed that it is not 16-bit this time, but I played the hell out of 9 and I'm sure I'll do the same for this one.

Mr.Flibble fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 13, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
So I'm all for more 8-bit Mega Man goodness, but I'm saying it... I loved Mega Man & Bass—the SNES version, that is. The play control felt natural, Bass was just as fun to play as as Mega Man, the graphics were awesome, the CD database was fun to browse... If Proto Man was playable, I'd be 100% happy with that game. I can see why people didn't like the GBA version so much... Small screens can be extremely constricting.

PonchAxis posted:

I'm playing through Mega Man 1 again and goddamn is this game loving hard. Isn't this one the hardest in the series?
The only distinctly haunting memory I have of the first game is the Yellow Devil. Mega Man 2, on the other hand, was an rear end-rapist of a game. Just thinking about Quick Man's stage (and having to choose between getting through the lasers on luck alone and getting rear end-raped by Quick Man himself) and the Crash Bomb boss in Wily's second stage makes me never want to play that game again. But I will, because everything else about it is awesome.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cabbagepots posted:

I just sort of half-smiled when I find out about it, and I was hopeful that it was just a graphical thing and hopefully it would throw an interesting gameplay twist somewhere within, then I bought it and found out that it was basically just a Megaman 3 romhack with absolutely nothing new.

And being a Mega Man 3 romhack of exceptional quality and polish it managed to be one of my best gaming purchases of all time, dollar for dollar (at least adjusting for inflation.) And I'm not even that much of a Mega Man fan. Of course, that might be part of why I don't give a poo poo if they don't really do anything with the series except more of the same.

One thing I don't get, though. I see people talking about Mega Man 9 being hard, but really it seemed to be easier than pretty much any of the original 8-bit games (maybe about the same as 4, I guess.) Sure, the first time through was a little rougher due to a sprinkling of Kaizo-esque romhack bullshit, but having learned where the sucker punches are coming from I found it to be a breeze compared to most of the old games.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Since this thread is about general Mega Man discussion, I thought I should direct you all to these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kVfvg5eOi0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeblEjcv_Ks&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bptz3bXDaM0&feature=related

This dude is pretty much the best Mega Man X player I've seen. He essentially goes into the games and dissects them to the point where he's able to beat them without taking damage and following some pretty strict requirements. Those are his X4 videos, but he's got stuff for pretty much all the X series except 7 and 8, and videos for the Zero series as well. Pretty cool stuff.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I remember playing X5 when it released and it was a lot of fun.....until one of the last stages where you fought the Yellow Devil. MotherFUCKER I was never able to beat that guy. I think I threw a controller in frustration with that boss gently caress.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 13, 2009

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked

CloseFriend posted:

So I'm all for more 8-bit Mega Man goodness, but I'm saying it... I loved Mega Man & Bass—the SNES version, that is. The play control felt natural, Bass was just as fun to play as as Mega Man, the graphics were awesome, the CD database was fun to browse... If Proto Man was playable, I'd be 100% happy with that game. I can see why people didn't like the GBA version so much... Small screens can be extremely constricting.

The Nintendo Power article says they're planning a third playable character for Mega Man 10. In all likelihood, that character is probably going to be Bass.

Or Roll.

But probably Bass.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

fivegears4reverse posted:

Since this thread is about general Mega Man discussion, I thought I should direct you all to these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kVfvg5eOi0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeblEjcv_Ks&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bptz3bXDaM0&feature=related

This dude is pretty much the best Mega Man X player I've seen. He essentially goes into the games and dissects them to the point where he's able to beat them without taking damage and following some pretty strict requirements. Those are his X4 videos, but he's got stuff for pretty much all the X series except 7 and 8, and videos for the Zero series as well. Pretty cool stuff.

That's our very own Violen. He is amazing.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

This dude is pretty much the best Mega Man X player I've seen. He essentially goes into the games and dissects them to the point where he's able to beat them without taking damage and following some pretty strict requirements.

I can almost do that with the SNES X games, I love Megaman X and have it memorized pretty well :shobon:

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
I really wish they would do a MMX9 in the SNES MMX style. I feel MMX lost a lot once it left the 16-bit platforms. MMX8 was the best game in the series in years but still not quite up to X1 & X2.

quote:

I remember playing X5 when it released and it was a lot of fun.....until one of the last stages where you fought the Yellow Devil. MotherFUCKER I was never able to beat that guy. I think I threw a controller in frustration with that boss gently caress.
You can duck in MMX5 by holding down. That's probably your problem. :ssh:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You fucker, i didn't know who raped Sue Dibny yet. I was right in the middle of that arc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fonzarelli posted:

You fucker, i didn't know who raped Sue Dibny yet. I was right in the middle of that arc.

You didn't even find out Sue was raped until you find out who did it!

Anyway, back in Mega Man related stuff: I'm hoping that the 8-bit Mega Man does mean that they eventually go back to the X series. While I liked the Zero games, they were really not anything like the X games. I'd like to see them go back to the basics there. No Axl, maybe Zero, just animal-themed robot enemies, armor pieces and a hidden Street Fighter move somewhere.

DriveC
Oct 27, 2008

Going to Gamestop at midnight for Halo: ODST. Didn't pre order. The guy on the phone told me I *might* get a copy. Whatever dude.

ImpAtom posted:

You didn't even find out Sue was raped until you find out who did it!

Anyway, back in Mega Man related stuff: I'm hoping that the 8-bit Mega Man does mean that they eventually go back to the X series. While I liked the Zero games, they were really not anything like the X games. I'd like to see them go back to the basics there. No Axl, maybe Zero, just animal-themed robot enemies, armor pieces and a hidden Street Fighter move somewhere.

I wouldn't be opposed to such a game with the PSX tech I would just hope they get rid of most of the needlessly complex gameplay mechanics as you suggest. That and jettisoning the anime would be pretty much awesome.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Zero was fantastic in X4, but I would definitely love to see them revisit the old MMX style. You can justify cutting the anime because, hey, it's a downloadable game. No space for full motion video!

Mechahamster
Oct 9, 2007
Tiny paws of doom
It took me 19 years and this thread to realize heat Man is a friggin' cigarette lighter.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Mechahamster posted:

It took me 19 years and this thread to realize heat Man is a friggin' cigarette lighter.

I figured it out in 2007, which means it took me 20 years. You must not have had parents that smoked.

EDIT: it was 19 years for me, too, if I bothered to remember that MM2 came out in 1988 and not 1987. Goddamn it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 13, 2009

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Mechahamster posted:

Did you know that when you're using Heat Man's weapon, you can hold down the fire button to charge it up?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kegwen posted:

Zero was fantastic in X4, but I would definitely love to see them revisit the old MMX style. You can justify cutting the anime because, hey, it's a downloadable game. No space for full motion video!

I downloaded Maverick Hunter from PSN last week and guess what? It has about 30 minutes worth of anime in it. (Wii is the only current gen console with too strict size limitations.) It also helps bridge the gap between the original and X series since it has Light having a chat with X.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just wish they'd make another Megaman X: Command Mission.

But I also liked X6 - Zero played better in that one than in any other.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MokBa posted:

What have I started?

I loved Mega Man as a kid, but my adult self just doesn't have the patience for them anymore. Mega Man games are hard and incredibly unforgiving. But I appreciate them for what they are, and they have provided me with some good times in my life.
When I first played Mega Man 9, I had this exact reaction. I sort of wrote the game off and was angry at myself for buying it. Then I played with friends while drinking. Suddenly, we were all six years old again and watching the other person play was just as fun as playing yourself. "poo poo! MOVE! GET THE THING! KILL THAT GUY! DON'T JUMP YET!" You lose a lot, yes, but dying in a MegaMan game that's well-made leaves you with the impression that you hosed up and should try again, not that the game is mean and designed by retards.

If you haven't tried drinking and playing with friends who played Megaman as a kid, I'd recommend it. It changes the entire experience.

MegaMan 9 is the most fun I've had playing a video game in about seven years.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Levantine posted:

I just wish they'd make another Megaman X: Command Mission.

But I also liked X6 - Zero played better in that one than in any other.

I could never get the hang of his sword slashing in X6.

I think it was because at the time, I had already played the first or second Zero title, and X6 Zero just didn't feel nearly as smooth.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I could never get the hang of his sword slashing in X6.

I think it was because at the time, I had already played the first or second Zero title, and X6 Zero just didn't feel nearly as smooth.

I had the exact opposite experience - I never could get into the Zero series because it felt like you had to be too precise to get anything done. I loved Zero's awesome saber arc and the upgrades that let you cut bullets and poo poo were badass.

Sir_TaxALot
Jul 31, 2008
Everyone is having videos they can't believe hasn't been posted yet, so here goes mine !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLzCfUM7BM8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

DriveC posted:

That and jettisoning the anime would be pretty much awesome.

I really, really like Mega Man X4, but holy moly those cutscenes were bad.