Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«35 »
Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

It definitely is a cool video and I'm glad you posted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JSW2
Apr 25, 2008

corpsed posted:

Currently on Sprint with a Galaxy S II variant, but about to switch to ATT so i can get an unlocked Nokia N9. The reviews I've read paint it as one of the best smartphones ever. Is that generally the consensus for you guys too? Also, are there any healthy sites for apps for the N9? I understand its ecosystem is poo poo, comparatively, but it can run Qt, correct? I wasn't sure if there was a repository for all things Qt or something. I don't really use many apps on android as it is, but would definitely like to peruse what's available, mainstream or not (obscure forums with Qt poo poo).

I have to say, I really love my N9. I'm even carrying it more than my iPhone 4S these days. The Nokia Store has a pretty decent selection of apps, and most people that put their apps on other repos have them there too. I'd also watch forum.meego.com for more announcements, and apps.formeego.com (when it's up). My-Meego.com is basically just a huge list of apps.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011

"On Monday, February 27, the first day of Mobile World Congress, Nokia will host
a press conference, where it will announce significant industry news."

Otik, you have some inside information you could share, even if there are Finnjas lurking around? Example will you be working for Microsoft in there future?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

varjoankka posted:

Otik, you have some inside information you could share, even if there are Finnjas lurking around? Example will you be working for Microsoft in there future?

Otik should probably keep a lower profile as it is.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011

I seriously donít expect anybody to break his or her NDAs. The post was meant to be a discussion opener. What significant industry news could mean, merger with Microsoft, a tablet from Nokia, something else?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

varjoankka posted:

I seriously donít expect anybody to break his or her NDAs. The post was meant to be a discussion opener. What significant industry news could mean, merger with Microsoft, a tablet from Nokia, something else?

Having gone through a couple of transitions like you're suggesting in the last few years, the employees are often the last to know and don't find out until it's publicly announced to avoid possible insider trading. If it is a merger/employee transition, unless Otik is directly involved in negotiating the deal he probably won't know.

Disclosure: I used to work for Nokia but honestly have no clue what this announcement could be.

Otik
Apr 5, 2005

Psycho log baby

Nokia's going to have a big presence at MWC, but I can't give any feedback on speculation - partially because much of it is as much a mystery to me as to everyone else, and partially because I'm not going to share anything that shouldn't be being shared. As Froist said, the big things filter through to employees last. To be honest, a lot of the stuff I know comes from following the blogs religiously.

And in response to Froist, they've loosened up a bit recently with employees talking about Nokia, as long as no confidential material is leaked. They actually encourage us to put friendly faces out there.

EDIT: Woah, I guess the WP7 app still needs work.

Otik fucked around with this message at Feb 24, 2012 around 15:59

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

A homeless person was out on the street, looked up at me and said, "Draft Manziel." Just like that.

And that convinced me, that the Cleveland Browns' fans wanted Manziel.

my friend's having an issue with the Nokia N8, and google isn't really being helpful. Basically, it appears the Facebook app makes it so she's always showing as online, which is understandably annoying. I've never touched a Nokia phone, but does anyone know if this is a known issue and/or if there's a way to fix this?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Never heard of this issue. I would try updating the app or changing the Facebook password.

Otik
Apr 5, 2005

Psycho log baby

Dr Tran posted:

Never heard of this issue. I would try updating the app or changing the Facebook password.

Also, update to Belle if they haven't already. It's not something I've read about either.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

41 megapixels!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

You would be wise not to take me lightly, Your Grace... and wiser still not to make of me a foe

Dr Tran posted:

41 megapixels!

So can anyone explain my in what regard Nokia is bending the truth here? Because I don't believe they managed to put 41 million real, useable pixels onto a sensor that's a tiny fraction of the size of a Hasselblad ~40 MP-sensor (37mm x 50mm - which is 1/3 of the size of the phone).

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Decius posted:

So can anyone explain my in what regard Nokia is bending the truth here? Because I don't believe they managed to put 41 million real, useable pixels onto a sensor that's a tiny fraction of the size of a Hasselblad ~40 MP-sensor (37mm x 50mm - which is 1/3 of the size of the phone).

These are supposed to be straight out of 808, no retouching. Resolution is 7152x5368.

http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com....02/Archive2.zip

thestoreroom
Apr 26, 2002

So that's how it's made...

The white paper available from here also goes some way to explaining the voodoo involved.

Otik
Apr 5, 2005

Psycho log baby

Yeah, it's genuinely a 41mp sensor, and it is possible to take pictures at a resolution up to 38mp - but where it really excels is when the images are resized to 8, 5 or 3mp, using the data from the full sensor.

Also, the sensor is HUGE. It's something like 2.5x the size of the N8's sensor, which was already big.

This is all stuff I've read publicly - I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Why are they skimping with the video? Rather than HD, they should be offering 4k on that monster.

Otik
Apr 5, 2005

Psycho log baby

I have no idea if the hardware would support it (I'd be surprised if it did, 4K is a LOT of pixels) but I'm hoping everything will be open enough to allow hackers to do some crazy poo poo with the camera.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

I'm more interested in the fact that the processor is twice the speed of my n8's - I find my n8's camera to be plenty good for what I use it for, but sometimes it just feels slow.

While I don't mind Belle, I can wait until they implement Pureview into a Windows device.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup

Welp, guess I'll be replacing my N8 with the 808 instead of the iPhone 5.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Welp, guess I'll be replacing my N8 with the 808 instead of the iPhone 5.

You and me both.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

So I'm traveling to Mexico in March and want a good camera / onboard GPS navigation phone. I have both ATT and T-Mobile. Would grabbing an open box N8 from Amazon and tossing Belle on the N8 be a good idea? I'd like to keep the phone around for photos and navigation after my trip and the N8 looks like the best option.

Also is the N9 a good idea? I'm a phone whore who started on Symbian (N95) so I know what I'm getting into.

Both the N8 and N9 work on ATT and TMo 3g right?

Edit: I'm just gonna grab an N8 from Amazon for $250. Good by me.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at Feb 29, 2012 around 07:26

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Nokia is to ship another update to the Lumia 800. Another round of battery life improvements etc., but the update also addresses a bug introduced in the 8107 build, namely that the hardware button backlights were off unless you had the brightness set to low or automatically adjust. Which is nice, because this build will include the previously-released disappearing keyboard fix, which has begun plaguing me daily.

Other issues corrected are the auto-white imbalance in the camera, and the bass reproduction in audio playback has been improved. No word yet on a delivery date other than "soon".

Source, among others.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

"My ugly duckling"

Decius posted:

The sensor is giant size. It's bigger than any p&s and close to the Nikon 1 system size. Its pixel size is alot smaller. It basically sacrifices dynamic range and high ISO for more detail.

However, the image quality is still pretty good. It's almost as good as the Nikon 1, which is a $500 system. So $600 for a camera with crappy phone feature is a good deal.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2012 around 02:16

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

A couple of informative images:

1/3.2" is sensor size of the iPhone 4s
1/1.83" is the N8 (not pictured, in case you're wondering)

The pixels on the iPhone 4s and 808 are the same size

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

I'm getting the 808 the moment it drops. If nothing else, for the ability to have a camera with me at all times that happens to make calls and stuff.

On a related note, is it wrong for me to actually like my N8 and Belle...and I own a Galaxy Nexus (and a self-proclaimed Android geek). The N8 actually does all I need it to do and takes balls out photos.

I can't believe I'm considering keeping the N8 as my daily driver. It feels...so...90's...but I like it that way.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2012 around 03:07

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

hotsauce posted:

I'm getting the 808 the moment it drops. If nothing else, for the ability to have a camera with me at all times that happens to make calls and stuff.

On a related note, is it wrong for me to actually like my N8 and Belle...and I own a Galaxy Nexus (and a self-proclaimed Android geek). The N8 actually does all I need it to do and takes balls out photos.

I can't believe I'm considering keeping the N8 as my daily driver. It feels...so...90's...but I like it that way.

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokias-jo-ha...-windows-phone/

Nokia, please allow me to give you my money for this camera in a windows phone.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Naffer posted:

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokias-jo-ha...-windows-phone/

Nokia, please allow me to give you my money for this camera in a windows phone.

I will drop Android like a rock if this camera lands in a WP.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I'm thinking of getting the 808 as well for the camera although I was also considering the N9. My concern about the 808 was if it can beat a normal P&S camera in image quality as well as providing good cell phone service

The N9 is mostly for its free software setup (although I have a N800 so I'm somewhat biased there) and that it uses micro SIM so I could my iPhone 4 SIM with no problem.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

The 808 uses a micro sim and is pentaband 3G.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Dr Tran posted:

The 808 uses a micro sim and is pentaband 3G.

I knew about pentaband but not that it was micro sim

Is micro sim widely used outside the iPhone 4/s and N9 & soon the 808? At least the adapters are cheap.

Otik
Apr 5, 2005

Psycho log baby

Island Nation posted:

I knew about pentaband but not that it was micro sim

Is micro sim widely used outside the iPhone 4/s and N9 & soon the 808? At least the adapters are cheap.

The Lumia devices use it as well. I believe it's increasing in popularity because of how little spare space there is in modern devices.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Island Nation posted:

I'm thinking of getting the 808 as well for the camera although I was also considering the N9. My concern about the 808 was if it can beat a normal P&S camera in image quality as well as providing good cell phone service

The N9 is mostly for its free software setup (although I have a N800 so I'm somewhat biased there) and that it uses micro SIM so I could my iPhone 4 SIM with no problem.

Those microsim adapters are literally two for a dollar I don't understand how that could make an impact in your purchasing decision LOL

So is there anyway to get a Android or Symbian app working on an N9 yet? I'm asking specifically for Whatsapp.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Those microsim adapters are literally two for a dollar I don't understand how that could make an impact in your purchasing decision LOL

So is there anyway to get a Android or Symbian app working on an N9 yet? I'm asking specifically for Whatsapp.

Yes but why buy a 2 dollar hooker to hold your microsim when you can buy a $400 hooker to hold your microsim? Sorry did I say hooker? I mean a non working $2 piece of plastic vs. a $400 piece of plastic that also makes phone calls. On the down side you can't put the $400 piece of plastic in your 808 or an iPhone so it does make swapping poo poo around a little bit harder.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Web Jew.0 posted:

It doesn't make much a difference but my concern was over how many phones and carriers use micro sim. I was under the impression it was only a few and I didn't want to be restricted. I was more concerned about getting a phone that wasn't locked down by carrier or ecosystem.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Island Nation posted:

It doesn't make much a difference but my concern was over how many phones and carriers use micro sim. I was under the impression it was only a few and I didn't want to be restricted. I was more concerned about getting a phone that wasn't locked down by carrier or ecosystem.

If you care buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SIM-Cut...s/dp/B003UEWF8I

You can use it to punch your current sim (it works well) and then you can use your current sim in either a full size (using the included adapters) or as a microsim.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Anyone else with a Lumia 800 got scrolling problems? I just updated to 8107 to make sure I don't miss the subsequent update, and now the screen seems to register half my scroll gestures as taps, so navigation has become a nightmare. Is there a way to correct this, other than rolling back to the previous software?

corpsed
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"

Welp, as I posted not too long ago in this thread about switching from a SGSII to an N9, I am now posting how I'll be switching from the N9 to the N808 as soon as it's available. Symbian was my first smartphone OS and I'll always love it. Belle is rather superb, too. Can't wait to get in on that PureView action. Screw Windows Phone.

Also, to the person asking about Android apps on Meego: http://openmobile.co/pdf/Data_Sheet...eGo_Tizen_5.pdf
Since the other Alien Dalvik project seems to now be dead in the water, the ACL project linked above seems to be the best option for Android apps on Meego. Anyone have any experience with ACL?

corpsed fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2012 around 15:25

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

corpsed posted:

Welp, as I posted not too long ago in this thread about switching from a SGSII to an N9, I am now posting how I'll be switching from the N9 to the N808 as soon as it's available. Symbian was my first smartphone OS and I'll always love it. Belle is rather superb, too. Can't wait to get in on that PureView action. Screw Windows Phone.

Is your primary reason for abandoning the N9 the poor app selection?

corpsed
Jul 14, 2007

Septimus posted:

Is your primary reason for abandoning the N9 the poor app selection?

Actually, no, not at all. I have zero qualms with my N9, and the app selection surprisingly surpassed my expectations anyway. All the fundamental apps I need are available in the store.

The only reason I'm switching to the 808 is because I'm an extremely fickle smartphone user. I've paid so many early termination fees just to switch carriers to try the latest and greatest. So no, my ditching my N9 has precisely nothing to do with any sort of dissatisfaction with it whatsoever. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corpsed
Jul 14, 2007

On a related note, is anyone interested in buying my black 16GB Nokia N9 in superb 9.8/10 condition? Could cut you guys a good deal on it. I have to remain on Sprint since it is $30 less per month than AT&T for more features and true unlimited data. I'll post a sale thread in SA-Mart shortly.

«35 »