Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Crap, proximity sensor on my 920 is acting up. I can see dust having built up in the front-facing camera, and it seems reasonable to speculate that the same has happened in the proximity sensor. Anyone had these problems before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
I think this is old news for most but...
Nokia Music+ launched, http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/01/27/more-from-your-music/

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I can't believe I'm actually considering buying a n9. I've held on to my E72 for almost 4 years now thinking they would have to release some kind of compelling product but I'm drawing a blank.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011

Peven Stan posted:

Man, I can't believe I'm actually considering buying a n9. I've held on to my E72 for almost 4 years now thinking they would have to release some kind of compelling product but I'm drawing a blank.

I would wait couple of weeks, just to see if the rumours of a new high end lumia are true, theres a Nokia MWC 2013 event on February 25th.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

varjoankka posted:

I would wait couple of weeks, just to see if the rumours of a new high end lumia are true, theres a Nokia MWC 2013 event on February 25th.

I think windows phone is a loving disaster. They should've really stuck with meego :smith:

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Peven Stan posted:

I think windows phone is a loving disaster. They should've really stuck with meego :smith:
No matter how Windows Phone does, it can't be worse than what MeeGo was, since with Windows Phone they've at least gotten phones out there and in the stores.

In retrospect I think MeeGo was doomed from the start, with mismanagement and bad partners.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011

Peven Stan posted:

Friend of mine who works for Nokia uses N9, he really seems to like it and says the same thing as you did.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Sure, harmattan is great. And then there is Sailfish, which may pick up where Nokia left off.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Got my tax return and ordered a Lumia 620 to replace my aging E72. Long live windows phone I guess.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I went to allaboutsymbian the other day for old times sake and the folks on there are in their "hiding deep in the bunker" days, still ranting about battery life and multitasking.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HPL posted:

I went to allaboutsymbian the other day for old times sake and the folks on there are in their "hiding deep in the bunker" days, still ranting about battery life and multitasking.

To be fair, I would charge my E72 twice a week or so. I have to charge my Lumia 620 every day or other day.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Peven Stan posted:

To be fair, I would charge my E72 twice a week or so. I have to charge my Lumia 620 every day or other day.
My E7 has to be charged every day...sometimes it doesn't make it till the end of the day:(

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Is there a real release date for Nokia 301? All I can find is february articles talking about it being released the next month.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Nokia announced the Asha 501
http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/05/09/meet-the-next-generation-nokia-asha-501/

Engadget has a hands on
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/09/nokia-asha-501-hands-on/

It has Swipe, double tap to unlock, and other features from the N9. No 3G or wifi, it's only dual band 2G but it is dual sim. MSRP is $100US due in June.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Jolla just announced their phone. https://join.jolla.com/en Hell I just got in on the preorder, that thing looks awesome.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
Any of you guys still rocking an 808 Pureview? Going to purchase one next week. Pretty sick of Windows Phone even though my Lumia 920 is nice enough. Hate the OS though. Not sure why.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

corpsed posted:

Any of you guys still rocking an 808 Pureview? Going to purchase one next week. Pretty sick of Windows Phone even though my Lumia 920 is nice enough. Hate the OS though. Not sure why.
I got Saturday shipping the week it was first available.
Be sure to get the Nokia branded case with the cover. The hump scratches easily.
Also get a tripod adapter. You can do some really cool poo poo playing with the settings.
If you take it to concerts, turn off image stabilization for video.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

corpsed posted:

You hate the OS but you're not sure why?

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"

Rent posted:

You hate the OS but you're not sure why?

I'm a Symbian man at heart, I guess. Out of all the OSes it feels the most right for me personally, behind which I'd rate WebOS as my 2nd favorite. But yeah, can't really put my finger on why I dislike Windows Phone OS, really. Just not a fan.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Last Symbian shipments to be delivered this summer.
http://mynokiablog.com/2013/06/11/last-symbian-shipments-this-summer/

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The sunset is coming into view:

Nokia in acquisition talks with Microsoft? http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/06/...job-after-2012/

quote:

So what happens now? Here are some quick thoughts:

-Stephen Elop is as good as gone as Nokia CEO. Unless Lumia sales magically start getting traction, and start growing much faster than they had grown up to now, or Microsoft gets back with a better offer, he will be gone before the end of this year.
-Nokia Windows Phone exclusivity will end with Elop’s tenure, and we may see the first Nokia Android phone sometime next year. But don’t expect the true PureView Android phone anytime soon. It took Nokia 18 months to rewrite PV algorithms from Symbian to Windows Phone. So unless Nokia has a secret imaging team working on Android version for months now, it will take a lot of time 41 megapixel Nokia Android to show up.
-Nokia will become a company for sale, for real this time. While they were pretending to chart an independent course, or when they were talking to Microsoft expecting a good price, there was no reason for Nokia to entertain competing offers. Or anyone to seriously consider buying it. Nobody was more interested in Nokia than Microsoft and nobody could offer a better deal. With Microsoft out of the picture – things are very different now.

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 20, 2013

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I just read this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/20/microsoft_nokia_merger_no_go/

quote:

Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia's mobile phone business – the deal you probably assumed would happen sooner or later – has been scuppered before talks were even made public, according to a new report.

On Wednesday, the Wall Street Journal wrote that Microsoft has been engaged in "advanced talks" to snap up the Finnish mobile maker, but that those discussions have recently broken down and are not likely to resume.

Redmond reportedly couldn't negotiate the price it wanted for Nokia, which currently has a market capitalization of around $14.3bn.

What's more, Microsoft was said to be leery of Nokia's weak position in the smartphone market, where it currently trails behind Apple and Samsung.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

The sunset is coming into view:

Nokia in acquisition talks with Microsoft? http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/06/...job-after-2012/

I'd actually disagree with pretty much everything in that article. Microsoft is interested in Nokia because Windows phone right now lives and dies with Nokia. The fact that Microsoft isn't going to by Nokia doesn't necessarily mean that Nokia will now throw itself at any suitor. Nokia is a shadow of itself but if anything is on a slow upswing.

Other than Microsoft, there isn't really anyone else who is in a position to make Nokia an offer better than going it alone. In regards to Nokia's windows phone exclusivity, I said this without knowing the true development costs with Android, but if feasible, they probably would be better off with phones in both ecosystems. That said, Nokia androids would be in a similar position as HTC. They wouldn't be able to match Samsung's vertical integration or advertising. At least now, Microsoft shares some of the advertising budget. Additionally, carriers are genuinely interested in a third ecosystem hence Verizon advertising for Nokia as well. They lose all of that with Android. That said, their brand cachet would give them more sales in Europe with Android more likely.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
This is kind a longshot in a thread that's been dead for a couple of weeks, but does anyone have an E71 sitting around in a drawer somewhere that they'd be willing to use to wipe a microSD card for me with? I just upgraded to a Lumia 521 from a 1st gen Windows Phone 7 device and the 32GB card I had in the old phone can apparently only be formatted by certain vintage Symbian devices.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Naffer posted:

This is kind a longshot in a thread that's been dead for a couple of weeks, but does anyone have an E71 sitting around in a drawer somewhere that they'd be willing to use to wipe a microSD card for me with? I just upgraded to a Lumia 521 from a 1st gen Windows Phone 7 device and the 32GB card I had in the old phone can apparently only be formatted by certain vintage Symbian devices.

Man that's really weird. I have an E72, would that work?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If the disk shows up under Windows can't you clear the partitions off/format using the Disk Management utility under Administrative Tools?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

If the disk shows up under Windows can't you clear the partitions off/format using the Disk Management utility under Administrative Tools?

Windows' built in disk manager can only see the first partition on SD cards. If you have more than one, you'll need some software like EaseSUS Partition Master that can read all of the partitions on the card and wipe out what you don't want.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Peven Stan posted:

Man that's really weird. I have an E72, would that work?

Yea that should work. I PMed you.

So the longer story is that Windows Phone 7 implemented a pretty uncommon portion of the SD card spec that sets a unique password on the card itself that binds the card to devices that know the password. It's uncommon enough that Windows, Linux and Mac don't support reading, writing or formatting cards that have this thing enabled. I have a nice cardreader on my laptop and it sees the disk but diskpart and format both refuse to touch it. Most devices ignore the card as if it isn't inserted.

Anyways, Nokia apparently implemented support for this weirdo security in certain versions of Symbian. If you're interested there's a bit of discussion here: http://lifeinthefastlaneok.wordpress.com/2010/11/20/microsd-card-use-with-windows-phone-7-device/

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nokia and Blackberry should merge into one even bigger mess.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Where did it go so wrong for Nokia? They *used* to be the biggest and the best; everyone I knew had a Nokia be it the 5110, or the 8190 later on.
Hell the E7 I have is the only phone on the market that suits my tastes in phone with a nice querty keyboard (I hate touch screen keypads). Shame I will never get an upgrade to the E7.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Jut posted:

Where did it go so wrong for Nokia? They *used* to be the biggest and the best; everyone I knew had a Nokia be it the 5110, or the 8190 later on.
Hell the E7 I have is the only phone on the market that suits my tastes in phone with a nice querty keyboard (I hate touch screen keypads). Shame I will never get an upgrade to the E7.

Where it did for everyone else, the iPhone came out while riding the huge wave of iPod popularity.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I'm going on vacation in November and I wouldn't mind a rechargeable battery pack, just as a backup, for my Lumia 920. I'm hoping to find one that has a micro-usb male cable included, and at the very least be good for a full charge. I'd like something small-wallet-sized - like, half the thickness of a deck of cards or so. Any recommendations? The Mophie Juicepack Micro looks about ideal but it doesn't list the 920 as being compatible.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 3, 2013

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Not sure if wallet sized and good for a full charge is possible anymore.

I scored a Nokia DC-16 at Comic-Con. It can fill up my 808. Not worth the $40 it sells for.

This similar one seems to have good reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower%C2%A...75494057&sr=1-5

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Nokia started to lose ground when Apple changed the phone game to quality over quantity whereas Nokia was all about the quantity. They put out too many phones too fast. It was like a constant cycle of beta testing because they could never focus on a particular phone long enough to work out the bugs.

I think what kept Nokia from righting the ship earlier was that they would always point to their strong feature phone sales and emerging markets sales for low-end smartphones as evidence that everything was fine. Meanwhile, Android snuck up from behind and took those away too.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Not only that, but before Apple and Android hit, if you wanted to upgrade your smartphone's OS, you had to buy a new smartphone. Never mind that the one you have is actually technically better, they're still going to put out a slightly inferior model with newer software :mad:

That being said I still kind of miss my N82 / N8. If it wasn't for the awful email client and inferior onscreen keyboard I'd probably still be using my N8. Sometimes I'm half tempted to jump into the 808 but I need something more mobile-officey now that I'm never home.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 3, 2013

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Where it did for everyone else, the iPhone came out while riding the huge wave of iPod popularity.

And it was then two years before Nokia released a flagship phone with a touchscreen, which even then was resistive rather than capacitive, which was dogged with software bugs, which ran an OS less sexy to the general public than iOS and actually still had a hardware keyboard.

Firmware bugs aside I loved the N97. But then the problem was Nokia didn't need a phone geeks liked, they needed a phone that everyone liked. People say Nokia used to be full of engineers - well it showed in how they handled the iPhone; technically their response was correct, in reality it was awful.

I think the N97 was 'the moment'. It still generated enough interest to have dragged them back into the game, but post that everything has been catch up. And that's coming from a European where Nokia wasn't already fighting an uphill battle with people's phone buying habits.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think the N95 and N82 era was the peak. After that, it was downhill. The N95 was the phone everyone wanted. The problem was that smartphone software and culture just hadn't matured enough at the time for it to go huge. The data plans were nowhere near competitive as well. In Canada, it used to cost a ton of money per month just for 25MB of data. That plus if you wanted a Nokia smartphone in North America, you had to buy one at full price rather than get one from a carrier on subsidy, so it was too expensive for a lot of people. And even then it was usually an import phone that Nokia USA or Canada refused to support and may or may not have had North American GSM/3G bands.

Really, a large of Nokia's failure on the smartphone front could be chalked up to the way they said "gently caress you" to North America for too long. They were too content with their sales in Europe and Asia. It took a company like Apple to create something so desirable that even the North American carriers were desperate to bend over backwards and come out with competitive data plans. It's commonplace now, but back before the iPhone, the idea of an affordable 6GB/month data plan in Canada was absolutely unthinkable.

HPL fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 3, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nokia maps' offline support is still 10000x better than Google or any other competitor. I miss it a lot when travelling and without wifi access.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I am probably remembering this wrong, but I remember a time when a lot of Nokia's phones were off contract only. As a poor student I could not afford them, but always wanted one. Am I wrong in remembering that?

EDIT: I am talking in the US only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

eXXon posted:

Nokia maps' offline support is still 10000x better than Google or any other competitor. I miss it a lot when travelling and without wifi access.

It's one of the big deciders on me buying an E7 a couple of years back. The GPS is far superior to anything I've used on Android. It's taken me across Europe three times with no problems.

• Locked thread