Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
I got some hands-on time N8 today, not really that impressed. It's big improvement but it's still very much Symbian :( Which is too bad, since the hardware is really nice. Too bad Nokia is still trying to force Ovi on people, for example all social networking integration goes through some Ovi application that takes forever to start, also browser is pretty terrible compared to competitors or N900. Their hardware design teams are still top notch but they really need to stop outsourcing their non-OS software development to cheapest bidder.

Personally though, unless they get N8-style phone with Meego out soon I'm switching over to Android, I'm tired of trying to get Google Calendar syncing to work with N900. And I'm not going to invest in Exchange server of my own for one man telecom consulting business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

sleepwalkers posted:

I'm of the belief that anyone who says they require a QWERTY keyboard on a phone simply hasn't used a halfway decent Android or iPhone handset. If you simply give yourself time to adjust, you will be typing faster in a week or two.
Onscreen keyboard eats display real estate and text prediction doesn't work so well in every language. Especially when writing in my native finnish I often find myself missing my N900, though in every other way I prefer my Nexus S despite Googles localization being just terrible. Give me E7 with any other OS than Symbian and I'd buy it in heartbeat.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
Nokia site for N9: http://swipe.nokia.com/

Also qwerty version is now officially N950 but only limited amount will be produced and they'll be sold to developers only.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Decius posted:

So can anyone explain my in what regard Nokia is bending the truth here? Because I don't believe they managed to put 41 million real, useable pixels onto a sensor that's a tiny fraction of the size of a Hasselblad ~40 MP-sensor (37mm x 50mm - which is 1/3 of the size of the phone).

These are supposed to be straight out of 808, no retouching. Resolution is 7152x5368.

http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Archive2.zip

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Dr Tran posted:

I'm confused why Nokia went with a proprietary cable for the wireless charger plate instead of micro-USB.
Probably something related to power output, USB connectors are only rated up to certain wattage. Depending on efficiency of wireless charging, charging phone at reasonable rate might push it over what microUSB connectors can carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Peven Stan posted:

I think windows phone is a loving disaster. They should've really stuck with meego :smith:
No matter how Windows Phone does, it can't be worse than what MeeGo was, since with Windows Phone they've at least gotten phones out there and in the stores.

In retrospect I think MeeGo was doomed from the start, with mismanagement and bad partners.

• Locked thread