Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Opera Mini beta 2 is out and it's good. They managed to make it so that data entry is done with the phone's T9, but it's integrated into the browser better so it's actually on the page instead of in a popup. T9 can also be used in the URL entry bar now which makes entering addresses a whole lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Symbian^4 revealed:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/10981_Symbian4_UI_Concept_Proposal_s.php

Ugh. This is supposed to be Symbian 2 generations from now?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The Sony Vivaz looks interesting. If only it didn't have that goddamned Euro 3G.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Civil posted:

Did SE finally get rid of that horrible charger interface? I can't tell from the pictures. I loved my last SE, but until they change to something more reasonable (Nokia has the right idea), I'll stick with the Nokia I have.

GSMArena says MicroUSB, which is potentially good. I don't see that crazy SE port in any of the photos:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_vivaz-3022.php

On the other hand, the good thing about that kind of port was that there wasn't anywhere for dust to get in like there is with the 3.5mm headphone jack on my N82.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Civil posted:

Microusb charging is fine with me, though I still prefer Nokia's new small jack. I just hope you don't have to load special software to charge from a PC.

Why would you need special software? Doesn't USB provide 5v by default even if it's on a computer?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Nokia announces: "We're tired of writing firmware updates for your lovely old phone. Buy a new phone."

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Am I the only one that is getting turned off of buying a Nokia phone any time in the near future with this Symbian^3 talk? There's not much point in buying a high-end Symbian^1 phone because knowing Nokia, they'll drop it like a hot potato the instant Symbian^3 comes out. And then in the meanwhile, if we wait and buy a Symbian^3 phone, it'll be a whole lot of growing pains while Android and iPhone keeps on trucking.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dr Tran posted:

New rumor: Nokia N98

http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-n98-qwerty-style-slider-leaked-1173717/
4" screen and looks like a sidekick

Well I suppose it's not too much of a departure considering it's basically the N97 with ridges on the side. But again, it's more about the software than the hardware these days.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

big mean giraffe posted:

I know they say stuff like Nokia uses resistive a lot because it's better for handwriting recognition but who are these freaks who are writing faster than they're typing?

Foreigners and their crazy moon languages.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Too little, too late.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Get the N97 for $150 then sell it for $500.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

LiquidRain posted:

Symbian, though? Wrong OS. :colbert:

Seriously. I can't possibly see anyone switching over from Android or iPhone to this as long as it's running Symbian. I find the design to be incredibly bland too, even more so than the Nexus One. Other than the camera module with the return of a xenon flash, I don't really see any reason to get excited over this. Nokia is still playing catch-up with the rest of the market.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Casao posted:

idk 12mp + xenon is p nice, and Symbian^3 looks like it won't be utterly unusable.

I said that the camera module is notable. 12MP is kind of a joke though on a sensor that tiny.

Honestly, this phone won't do anything other than keep diehard Nokia fans in the fold. The iPhone proved that it's all about the software, which is Nokia's weakest front. Rolling out a new OS with this phone alongside Maemo which is still in its infancy doesn't help matters. What good will Symbian^3 be if the bulk of the mobile developers have already jumped ship to other systems?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dr Tran posted:

A-GPS usually uses 6kb to get a location fix faster. That's probably what caused the data charges.

Most likely. I had that problem back when I was using my N82 on prepaid.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
There will be a version with 850 and 1900 bands, but it'll never actually get released because Nokia hates North America.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The video seems jerky. Do you suppose that's because my humble computer can't handle HD video nicely or because the N8 doesn't record video nicely?

Also, I'm glad they made somewhat of an attempt to make some reasonable video. Those first photos that came out were horrible and hardly the kind of photos that would sell the phone to anyone except hipster trash.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Looks like Nokia's CEO might get the door:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/30/nokia-ceo-olli-pekka-kallasuvo-being-replaced-to-soothe-frustrat/

According to the article, most of the gripes with his performance are basically the same ones we've been echoing here. Now let's all take a deep breath and repeat the Nokia users' mantra:

"It's good to see Nokia is taking steps in the right direction"

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

That's not bad as long as there's manual control over ISO, aperture and shutter speed available. The software seems to favour keeping the shutter speed around 1/30 which is too slow for anything but posed shots, landscapes or still life.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think Ricky and Rita nailed it in their post. Nokia will be the authors of their own doom.

One thing that really chafed me about Nokia that wasn't mentioned is that the company basically kept killing sales of their own devices by constantly announcing new devices almost as soon as a device was released, so there was little incentive to buy the just released one because a newer one with better features or that addressed gripes of the just released phone was due out in a few months.

Another thing is that once Nokia releases a phone, they basically cut it adrift as far as support goes. It's okay to buy an iPhone or Android phone right now because you know that when the next OS update comes with more good stuff, it'll be available for your device. If Nokia had made their phones so that they could be upgraded from S60 3rd edition to 5th edition or at least give 3rd edition some of the nice features of 5th like a customizable home screen or whatever, I think they would end up selling more phones because people wouldn't be as afraid to jump on one. It's stupid that Nokia is trying to sell us on the N8 when at the same time they're pumping up Meego. Why would I buy an N8 knowing it's a dead-end phone?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
For the N82 owners out there, I found a seller on eBay who has 2300mAh (though the auction says 1770mAh, so who knows) batteries, which is a lot more capacity than the stock battery which is around 1050mAh. Unlike the other extended batteries which are huge and need a special battery door, these ones fit under the stock door. The fit is rather tight with an unmodded door, but if you snap off the little fins on the inside of the door, everything fits just fine like the stock battery. Look for seller efoodlifecn.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Ovi store should be put in a gunny sack and thrown in the river. Also, whoever designed Nokia's text prediction system should be shot.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It often makes strange choices for words. For instance for short words, like four or five letters long, it will sometimes opt for the beginning of a long word or some other thing instead of going to the entire short word. For instance, if you want to type "on" or "no", the default word choice is "nn".

There also doesn't seem to be any accounting for frequency of use so if there are several choices for a key combo, it will always opt for the order programmed into it as opposed to whichever word you use most often.

And then there's the way it forgets custom words after a while no matter how often you use them.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Disco Cat posted:

Which phone/version of symbian are you using? Because my very old E51 predicts text in the exact opposite way. Most frequently used words are first, and if you want to change the word, you just type it three times in a row. And I still have custom words stored from 3 years ago.

N82. And if you want to type "at", it defaults to "bt". Grrrr.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Here's an article on the matter: http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/2010/05/dear-nokia-what-the-hell-did-you-to-t9.html

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Peven Stan posted:

The E72 port is micro-USB, which is an official standard.

It may be but it hasn't been accepted all that widely because it's not much of an improvement over mini-USB. Which I guess makes it a perfect match for Nokia.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Peven Stan posted:

Oh I concur completely, and I think it's a dick move on Nokia's part not to use mini-USB which is basically the same size.

That's what gets me. There's barely any improvement compared to the difference between USB and mini-USB. If it were something the size of a 3.5mm plug, that would be pretty cool though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Teeter posted:

Thanks a bunch for this. Worked great since I was able to download the java file and transfer through USB to circumvent the Ovi bullshit. Let's just hope that my phone's battery is good enough to record my cycling trips with GPS running. Battery life used to be amazing but has really gone to hell and I don't want to spend the money on the new one when I'd prefer to get a whole new phone.

Check eBay for high capacity batteries. I got a couple for my N82 and they're great. I can get around 5 or 6 hours of SportsTracker tracking out of one battery. And unlike an iPhone, when the battery dies, I can pop in another one and keep on trucking.

HPL fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 26, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Symbian is largely dead as a development platform too. The only people of note cranking out new software these days are Nokia Beta Labs.

By the way, going waaaay back to my T9 issues, that Nokia custom dictionary thing doesn't help. On the N82 the program is very limited in function.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Honestly, if I were going to buy a Nokia again, I'd wait until Meego is ready for prime time. It looks like developers are slowly starting to get the wheels rolling on that front as opposed to Symbian.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

LiquidRain posted:

Nope, they won't! Because the announcements this morning made sure that Nokia will stay Nokia. The E7 will have "software differences" from the N8. They haven't learned a single goddamned thing.

I would say that it will take at least a year before the leadership changes really start to pay off if they do.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Septimus posted:

If only Nokia would condense their smart phone line a little... perhaps Nokia's resources are spread too thin. Or their management's capabilities are not adequate.

My key points for the future for Nokia are:

-Ditch Symbian, keep S40 and Meego. Nokia dominates the el cheapo low-end phone market. S40 is perfect for that. There's no use in keeping on Symbian for low-end smartphones because in a year or two even low-end smartphones will have enough oomph to run Meego anyway. Also, consider renaming Meego so something less dorky. Don't devote too much energy to it, just think about it and discuss it around the water cooler.

-Bring the hardware up to current standards or beyond. Aside from camera modules, Nokia is lagging in almost every other department. Make 800x480 screens minimum standard for any future Meego handsets. Make it so Meego can scale resolution easily across handsets so if resolutions increase, the OS can adapt without major re-writes. Nokia held on to 320x240 for far too long and it hurt them by making many of their late S60 handsets seem horribly dated upon release. The N95 was awesome because it was ahead of the market. Nokia hasn't beat anyone to the punch in ages.

-Think of North America! And I'm not just talking about frequencies, I'm also talking about software and after sales support. Yes Asia and Europe may have larger markets, but North America is the engine of the hype machine. Stop treating it like an unwanted stepchild.

-Release fewer handsets per year. You know why I never bought a N97, N86 or anything else after my N82? Every time a new model would come out, another model would be months away promising to address the issues of the model just released. Keep it to a max of one E-series, one N-series, one C-series and one or two bottom feeders per year or else buyers will get caught in a constant cycle of waiting. Make the time between release periods longer so people will resign themselves to actually buying model x or y knowing that it will be a while before the next model comes out.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Godzilla07 posted:

What services? Ovi is a gigantic pile of crap save Ovi Maps.

Oh yeah, another future point:

-Burn Ovi to the ground. All of it. Except Ovi Maps.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Am I the only one who finds the Nokia C3-01 the most intriguing phone of all the new Nokia releases?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dr Tran posted:

Or the soccer of smartphones. Americans hate it no matter how you spin it.

One figure that I saw recently was 70% in China. That's mindboggling.

Now are we talking about NOKIA or NOKLA?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Here's kind of an interesting article:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/21/pie-chart-apples-outrageous-share-of-the-mobile-industrys-profits/

It gives a good view into the whole Nokia vs iOS thing. It seems that Apple is selling fewer units than Nokia, but bringing in way more money, which sort of counters the usual Nokia line about how Nokia is still on top because they are moving so many units.

In my opinion, I think Apple is doing it right in that they make their phones aesthetically attractive to a wide audience as well as making the phones easy and fun to use. Plus they are adding value to the phones through their extensive App Store and system-wide OS updates. Nokia industrial design tends to be more male-oriented and using Symbian isn't nearly as cheery an experience with a cruder and more technical interface. Even small things like the system font are more pleasant on iOS.

The good thing about this if you're Nokia is that it's easily fixable if you care enough about it, it's a matter of whether they care or not. It's easy to scoff at "chick phones" but man, I can tell you I know a ton of women with iPhones so it's not a market to gloss over.

HPL fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 24, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Civil posted:

So, Sony Ericsson decided not to make any more Symbian phones, and now Samsung announced the same. Nokia is going to be pretty lonely, riding this boat alone.

They've done it before, they can do it again. There's only one iOS manufacturer too. It's not like Samsung was a huge seller of Symbian phones in the first place.

I know I've been down on Nokia the last little while, so I have to give them props where props are due. Huge kudos for making the N8 a true world phone with four 2G bands and all five HSDPA bands including 1700. I hope other manufacturers follow suit.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

American Jello posted:

Yeah this is more than likely a third (business, personal) phone that sits in the center console of the Bentley so they can get tickets to that sold out opera at the last minute.

This is my theory. They use an iPhone 4 for everything and leave the Vertu sitting around for show. I mean even rich people like playing Angry Birds.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I think 5/10 is a bit harsh, but the reviewer did make some good points like saying that this phone would have been king of the world if it had come out last year. I think the N8 shows that Nokia still has their game hardware-wise. If they put an 800x480 or better screen in it, it would be pretty much on par with anything else out today. I also agree that Nokia probably needs a clean break and should jump straight to MeeGo for their high-end phones instead of trying to drag Symbian kicking and screaming into the future.

Of course, knowing Nokia and the way they work with operating systems, MeeGo probably isn't anywhere near prime time yet. If they pooled their resources into one operating system, MeeGo would probably be very competitive with Android and iOS. The clean break would also mean that developers would have a fresh, clean slate to work with with a modern OS designed for phones with modern features instead of having to worry about things like supporting 320x240 screens and T9 keypads.

HPL fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 14, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Captain Charisma posted:

I understand why they don't go with Android, but Froyo on this thing would be amazing

I'm hardly a fan of the current state of Nokia, but I don't think they should be messing with Android. They have a potentially strong option with MeeGo, it's a matter of following through with it properly and fostering developer support instead of letting it become like Symbian where any software of note these days is mostly coming from Nokia itself. As blatant as Microsoft's approach is to getting apps on WP7(offering outright to pay developers to port popular apps), I think it's the right way to go to jump start a platform: get a good roster of killer apps happening so that people won't be leaving behind their favorite apps by switching platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
More Nokia-related drama:

"Symbian boss steps down effective immediately"

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/19/symbian-boss-steps-down-effective-immediately/

• Locked thread