Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Okay, it's now Ovi Suite instead of PC Suite. Maybe this is old news, but I just bothered updating today.

It's incredibly loving slow on my laptop, and seems to be quite the resource hog. Why can't it be lean and mean like myphoneexplorer? It's doing the same drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

It appears to have all the design sense of a genuine NOKLA phone. Between the buttons at the top and the mysterious useless rounded bottom of the keypad, I'm not sure that it would be very comfortable or easy to operate.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Did SE finally get rid of that horrible charger interface? I can't tell from the pictures. I loved my last SE, but until they change to something more reasonable (Nokia has the right idea), I'll stick with the Nokia I have.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

HPL posted:

GSMArena says MicroUSB, which is potentially good. I don't see that crazy SE port in any of the photos:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_vivaz-3022.php

On the other hand, the good thing about that kind of port was that there wasn't anywhere for dust to get in like there is with the 3.5mm headphone jack on my N82.
Yeah, my n82 has the dust problem, but I don't think the 3.5mm jack has to mean that there's an air gap leading to the back of the screen.

Microusb charging is fine with me, though I still prefer Nokia's new small jack. I just hope you don't have to load special software to charge from a PC.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Not for all devices. It's really stupid.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

So, is the e72 really a downgrade from the e71? I know we were all excited when the e72 was announced, but after browsing the reviews on amazon, it seems like it took a turn for the worse, in terms of construction and software.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Is anyone rocking the e65? Dell keeps putting it up for sale for $200, and it looks tempting. The only thing really holding me back is the 1000 mAh battery, seems like it would have a hard time making it through the day if you like to tinker with it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

nerdrum posted:

a buddy of mine is willing to sell me his n97 for $150 bucks, I just upgraded to a 9700 Bold and I'm on t-mobile... the n97 is more or less the best looking piece of hardware ever felt which everyone seems to agree with, it just seems to be everything else about it thats a pile of poo poo. Anyone care to give me a bit of advice regarding if this is a good or bad idea?

What's more important to you - email or multimedia?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

jeeves posted:

I may sell my E71 soon, as I am getting tired of paying so much for a data plan I never use.

What do you guys think an unlocked E71 is worth these days, especially if it is in pretty good condition.

It works just fine without a data plan. Or is ATT forcing you to have a data plan because you're using it?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

If you're on AT&T, you should be paying $10-$15 for data
That's crap. My wife's perfectly happy on t-mobile with her e71. She's on the $6/mo plan for unlimited web, but they're happy to have you on a voice only plan with it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

And the C5 has been announced.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/03/02/nokia-c5-unveiled/

€135
I want this. If it has wifi, I'm completely sold. The camera might not hold up to my n82, but gently caress, 26 days of standby??? Even a week would be amazing.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Holy crap, that youtube app is amazing. Good interface with auto-complete, and my n82 streams stutter-free over edge.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I've never even bothered to try ovi maps. Is it any good? Google maps is already awesome for nearly anything I do.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Tech curmudgeon John C Dvorak is constantly saying how he prefers his E71 to all new comers on the TWIT podcasts he does. It kind of fits his personality, but I'm with him.

Personally, the thing that's keeping me from moving to a modern smartphone is my stubbornness to move up from t-mobile's $6/mo data plan. It works perfectly on my N82. I'm going to hop from unlocked phone to unlocked phone to avoid paying a $30/mo or whatever it is data plan. That poo poo adds up.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

You know you can buy unlocked Android phones right? Hell, the Nexus One up until quite recently only worked for 3G on t-mobile.
I had an unlocked G1 for a while - it didn't work with the t-zones plan. It did at one time, but t-mo closed the hole.

$20/mo is still more than I want to pay if I don't have to. I use gmail, google maps, and web browsing with what I have, and it works perfectly. And edge is perfectly fine for me, I'm not doing any heavy lifting. Everything I do works acceptably fast. Even the youtube app streams fine over edge.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah but something like the Nexus One will do all 3 of those things MUCH MUCH better.
I agree, Android kicks the poo poo out of s60 for most smartphone stuff. Even the G1 was far better than s60.

Looks like tmo's Android data plan is $30/mo. That's almost $300/yr more than I'm paying now. That's a hard sell.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

E5: ($250 E72 with less buttons and a better homescreen)
http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/04/13/nokia-e5-revealed/

Holy Jesus, 29 days of standby, and 18.5 hours of talk time? Omitted from the article are Wifi and GPS - any idea if they're included? If so, I might have a new contender for my next phone.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Peven Stan posted:

what do y'all use for threaded SMS? Is iSMS-free business edition worth the 12 bucks or sO?

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/conversation

I'm using this on my n82 and it's terrific.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I have a UPnP AV capable NAS that I use to put all my music and movies on so I can stream them to my ps3's to have movies over the network. I discovered that my N82 has something called "Hom. med." (home media, I assume) that functions as both a UPnP AV server and player. This means that I can connect to my NAS and play movies directly over my phone, or I can enable the server on my phone to play movies, pictures, or music from my phone through the PS3. Awesome.

Problem is that when I want to play a movie from the NAS, it insists on downloading the whole drat thing before playing it, rather than streaming it. And if I've encoded a movie with a bitrate that's too high, it won't play the video at all, just the audio.

Do any of the newer N-series devices still have this application, and is the media playback more robust? I was jazzed when I saw I could do this, but it has some limitations. Also, my wife's e71 doesn't have this app, which is kind of a bummer, but I suppose it's to be expected, as the n-series are media devices and the e-series are for business apps.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

First video sample from the N8 is quite jaw dropping.
http://vimeo.com/11266224

Incredible. If that's the real deal, I'll forgive the lagging UI design and pop this phone to the top of my want list.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Teeter posted:

I'm looking for a method (or a free app) that will prevent a particular person from sending me any SMS. Calls are okay though. Everything I've dug up so far has been shareware and as annoying as it is I don't want to drop $15 just to not have to manually ignore texts. Anybody have advice?

e: using an E71
Have you tried the direct method? Telling them to stop?

Otherwise, you may have better luck calling your provider and seeing what options they offer.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

And I thought UIQ was dead, here's the Motorola Razr3
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/05/02/more-on-the-motorola-razr3/
Didn't they have UIQ on a RIZR model a year or two ago? I heard it was a buggy piece of poo poo and a complete flop.

Here it is.
http://www.unwiredview.com/2007/09/18/motorola-rizr-z10-press-pics-and-specs/

Oh well, anything is better than the stock moto UI.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Isn't the E71 regarded as a better phone? It's also easily found around the same price.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

b0nes posted:

Is there a program that will synch up my contacts with my Gmail/google voice account?
I'm gonna dust off my N82 and get it fixed and working again.

Speaking of dusting off a N82, mine is covered with dust inside the screen. I'm always wiping the screen hoping that it's somehow outside the phone rather than inside. If I do manage to get the face off to wipe the dust away, is there anything I should do to prevent dust from getting right back in?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I have a N82 with chinese markings on t-mo, using t-zones internet access. Everything normally works great.

When I go to Ovi store, I get "We're sorry. Ovi Store is currently not available for your device..."

I know Ovi isn't great, but there's some stuff on there I was hoping to try out. Any clues?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

Try browsing via store.ovi.com
Same error message. It even suggests going to store.ovi.com, but clicking the link goes to the same error page.

I hooked up to PC Suite and made sure I'm on the latest firmware. Ovi fails whether through browsing in the web browser or the icon in Apps/. I created an account on my PC just fine, and when I send to mobile, it sends a link via SMS which just directs me to the error page.

Nokia, you're not instilling a lot of confidence in your brand here. Google isn't getting me very far, either.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Same behavior when it's plugged in to AC?

Did it experience any physical jarring prior to the problem happening? A drop or a crush?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I recently retired my n82 in favor of a cheap Android phone and am blown away by how far behind S60 feels now. PC Suite/Ovi and infrequent updates exacerbate the disparity. I hope Nokia is supporting more recent devices better now. I miss the camera on my n82, but that's about it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

HPL posted:

N82. And if you want to type "at", it defaults to "bt". Grrrr.

Mine had the exact same problem you describe. Not the at/bt problem, but countless others. Forgetting words, trying obscure words prior to common ones, not recognizing common words I frequently used. Frustrating.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Are we all jumping ship? I went from my n82 to a mytouch, and my wife just switched from her e71 to a mytouch slide.

I tried to stay loyal, and I really tried to like Nokia, but they're getting dusted by the competition. If you're already paying for a data plan, there are shitloads of phones that will give you a better experience over that connection.

I suppose they still do very well in the niche where you don't have a data plan, but that seems to be a shrinking segment.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Why the hell would you buy a MyTouch at this point? The hardware's creeping close to 2 years old, and it'll probably never even see 2.2 officially.
We're getting off topic, but it was super cheap and a huge upgrade (except the camera) from my n82. I don't care about official updates, cyanogen is really good, and I can run a modern version of android. Sure, it's not as fast as other android phones, but it still runs most apps and is speedy enough for now. Things like the multi-touch web browser and the app library absolutely crush what I could do on s60.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

If you got it for $100-$150 off of Craigslist, that's fine. If you bought it on-contract, you wasted your subsidy.

$95 off SA-mart. And we're on t-mo's even more plus plan, so no subsidy.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

VERTiG0 posted:

I got the Desire until I can find an iPhone4 here in Canada, which is loving impossible unless you're a sperglord who has plenty of free time to spend waiting in line all day in front of stores hoping that a shipment arrives.

The Galaxy S is an amazing phone, but no flash and the fact that I can't get one for less than $500 off-contract nixed that for me. I paid $382.49 + tax for this Desire, brand new from Telus without contract through the team webstore. Gonna unlock it and toss my Rogers SIM in there.
The iphone4 isn't much of an upgrade over the Desire. You already have a top-notch phone.

And since android is the topic of conversation in this here Symbian thread, my wife got a mytouch slide, which is replacing her E71. She misses the E71 battery life, which is pretty loving stellar compared to most other smartphones, and the keyboard had a really nice feel.

Speaking of, anyone want to buy an E71? I've got a thread in the SA Mart.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Teeter posted:

fake e: I love how the symbian thread has devolved in to people jumping ship for android or blackberry. They've really shot themselves in the foot here
I think a lot of us held a candle because they are nice phones, they've just been left in the dust by a lack of support and are blown away by the features other devices offer. If you're dropping $20 or $30 on a data plan, you want something that's going to be very useful, and s60 is a dinosaur compared to ios or android.

I loved my n82 and it's wonderful build quality and camera, but Nokia's website, the slim and lovely app selection, and a lovely PC suite / Ovi store just left a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm wondering how symbian is holding up in Europe, they had a staggering amount of the market not too long ago, something like 40 or 50% of smartphones. I can't imagine that will possibly be the case as competitive android devices start flooding every carrier.

The only niche that Nokia has a change of flourishing in is featurephones where people don't need a data plan to get the full use out of their devices. It just seems like that market is drying up as people get used to having a mobile internet device.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

200th Poster posted:

Nokia really has the advantage that they have a lot further to fall than palm did. Still I hope it will take less than a year for them to turn things around.

Solution: Make android handsets. Nokia has always made good hardware. Throw out all the S^X poo poo and just go with a platform that has some support and apps behind it instead of blindly brewing their own. Then they could ride the wave instead of having it crash on top of them.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

200th Poster posted:

Speaking of OVI, I recently got an email from Nokia telling me to get my poo poo off of OVI share because it's going to be shutting down.

Nice to see Nokia treating their faithful so well.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

nerdz posted:

Whoa, hadn't seem that. My next phone will be an E72 with a touch screen, my perfect phone (maybe with another OS?).

Motorola Charm? It looks like hell, but might fit the bill.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

nerdz posted:

That completely does it! But I really don't like motorola, even if they managed to move on from the RAZR delusions.

I lot of people are very happy with their droid line on verizon. I'd buy one if it suited my needs, and I HATED their razr line. But if you're buying an android phone, make sure the 'community' is going to support it, in the event that the manufacturer does not (see Cliq phones and Moto's lack of OS support).

As far as threaded SMS, I ran conversations on my N82, and it worked just fine. hosed up that they didn't implement that on the E73. Threaded SMS makes sooo much sense.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

So, Sony Ericsson decided not to make any more Symbian phones, and now Samsung announced the same. Nokia is going to be pretty lonely, riding this boat alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/11/vertu-constellation-quest-coming-soon-finally-puts-qwerty-in/

Is that a Vertu with s60? Finally, your hard earned $10,000 will get you a phone that is only a couple years behind the wave, rather than a decade back.

• Locked thread