Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Nope, no data plan. Which is why I felt qualified to answer what Septimus was asking :)

What's the point of having a smartphone without a data plan? Is there like a 100% free WLAN where you live? Just curious.

edit: Guess I shouldn't even be in this thread since I have a N900, but not having a data plan would cripple me so much I can't even imagine it. (Having unlimited 15mbit data for $20 a month helps though.)

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

Septimus posted:

Well, in my situation wifi is freely available everywhere except in a moving car. That's where the unassisted GPS comes in. Why pay for costly data plans? I would get a garmin or something before doing that.

Ah, cheers. I just may be biased since my 3g data is the only internet I have (MultiSIM phone/3g modem at home). I just can't imagine having a smartphone without internet access 100%.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

LiquidRain posted:

The latest Ovi Maps supports downloading maps right on your phone. It's on the Ovi Store. If you can't get version 3.6, then I guess they've only released it for S^3 so far.

3.06 is for older v5 touchscreens also. I just updated it on my 5800 which I only use as a navigator nowadays. It's pretty nifty. Dunno if it's in the store but you can download it straight from http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/ovi-maps-for-mobile-v3-06/download_and_installation

edit: After playing with the 5800 for a few moments I'm absolutely sure I'll never buy a phone without a hardware keyboard again. And not to buy a new phone before my N900 completely dies.

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 18, 2011

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

sethsez posted:

A resistive touchscreen from 2008 on Symbian isn't exactly the gold standard for touch screen keyboards, you know. In fact, it's probably one of the worst out there... even the Blackberry Storm has a better keyboard, and that thing was a joke.

I have never tried out a capacitive touchscreen, so I really don't know. I should probably go to a shop and play around with one.

Also:

• Locked thread