Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The stroke of death is as a lover's pinch, Which hurts and is desired.

I've always wondered what the reason is that Nokia is supporting three operating systems. I can understand s40, because they need something to stick on their feature phones, but it seems to me that if they try to split resources between Maemo and Symbian they will end up with two half assed products. I hope they prove me wrong because I really like Maemo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Casao posted:

Not really. AOSP is decidedly different from the Android on the phones - skip the Google apps and anything relating to drivers/hardware. It took till the Cyanogen thing before AOSP even compiled properly, and months after that before it could make a phone call on the ADP1. It's getting their now, but the majority of user interface for Android isn't open source.

This is the real problem behind getting Android running on the n900. Getting all the backend stuff to work like the phone, sound and wifi just isn't there. I understand some progress is being made with the hacking community for the Milestone/Droid, seeing as the two devices are very similar from a hardware perspective.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

It may come as a surprise to you, but there is a very significant portion of the human population that uses languages that have more characters than can reasonably fit on a compact keyboard.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

nerdrum posted:

As a blackberry user I'm use to Operating systems that wouldn't have seemed innovative in 2005 let alone now so I wasn't really too worried about it until I actually got to use an n97 today.

Holy. loving. poo poo. How on earth did this phone get past beta? The gui seems to have six or thirteen revolving themes around it and none of them mesh or even seem coherent, it's slow as dog poo poo as a Video / Media player and it really doesn't seem to do anything well except Ovi Maps or Web Browsing -- And on the latter, it awful with anything flash intensive.

Is the n900 dramatically better or what's the deal? I really, really love the ergonomics of the n97 and the keyboard is the only thing thats ever felt comfortable to me except my blackberry and I can definitely sell the two together and get an n900 but it seems like its the size of the moon.

The N900 uses a completely different operating system. Look for the Maemo Megathread. It's more of a computer than a phone.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I don't know how things are in the states, but the N97 goes for around $5-600 here, so yeah, that's good.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

If this helps my favorite mobile electronics manufacturer become competetive again I'm all for it.

posted from my N900.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Well with the shift to QT, s^4 apps should be able to run on s^3, but yeah, don't expect the N8 to get anything other than a few bugfix updates.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Boy Genius report was saying it's the N9 but that doesn't make any sense because it is clearly running symbian.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I like my n900 but I think I would have been happier with an android phone. Really MeeGo is the only reason I can see this thing being worth the money I spent on it, because Maemo is definitely not a finished product compared to Android and iPhone. I won't be buying Nokia in the future unless something drastic changes, like Nokia deciding to support my phone with MeeGo.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I know that it's not symbian but since this is where everyone is posting it: I replaced my N900 with a Galaxy S today.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

sudo enjoy it
oh wait...

I figured I'd follow up on this now that I've spent some time with it, but it was actually easier to get root on the galaxy s than on the n900. Go figure. I really hope the recent staff changes helps Nokia get their poo poo in gear, because this is ridiculous.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Nokia really has the advantage that they have a lot further to fall than palm did. Still I hope it will take less than a year for them to turn things around.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Speaking of OVI, I recently got an email from Nokia telling me to get my poo poo off of OVI share because it's going to be shutting down.

e: It might have been OVI files. I can't remember because I never actually used either because Nokia never bothered to integrate any OVI services into the n900.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at Sep 16, 2010 around 04:28

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

According to the MeeGo wiki (who knows how up to date that is) They are currently a month behind schedule in beta. The netbook edition was supposed to hit this month. If the delay between netbook and handset editions is similar to where it was for 1.0, 1.1 (the "ready for public" version) will be out in January.

e: I like how the screenshot of the media player in the engadget review makes it look like the phone is straight out of 2005.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I signed up to attend a Nokia QT developer conference in Vancouver. Everyone gets an N8 development kit. Hopefully it includes a phone, It'd be pretty pro if I could use it for my software engineering class project. Typically every just makes iPhone apps for it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

I signed up for the one in LA. I'm not sure they're gonna give away dev kits like they did at CTIA, but I sure do hope so.

If you need more incentive to develop for Symbian, there's a $250000 grand prize and
$10 million dollars total in prizes to be had. More info here: http://www.callingallinnovators.com/10M/

Yeah but there's no way in hell I'm going to drop cash for a phone I'm never going to use in day to day life for a remote chance to win a boatload of cash. I'm not a betting man.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I actually like that they are going to do incremental updates, rather than monolithic updates for Symbian. Now if they can show me that they will provide software support in the form of updates with new features and functionalities ala Android, and make the OVI store not terrible, they may actually be able to win me back as a customer.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Because Symbian makes a bitchin' feature phone os, if only a lackluster smartphone os. Let MeeGo compete with iPhone, droid, HTC et al. I can't speak for the states, but in canada s60 devices only need the $10 feature phone data plan for everything to work as opposed to the much more expensive smartphone data plans.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Well I'm going to get to visit the Nokia R&D centre in Burnaby. They won't be giving out N8's willy nilly, but I have a chance to win one, so if I do I might be able to put some of what I learn to good use.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Welp, they sent an email out saying they were going to try to work out a schedule for the student QT training that work out for people that have to attend classes. When do they schedule it? On a Wednesday at 8:30 in the morning. Guess when classes are. In particular I have a presentation that day, so I guess I'm not going after all.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

This is probably the best move for Nokia (aside from maybe licensing webos). Why? Nokia would get lost amongst the crowd in the Android arms race. Nokia always has solid hardware, but it's rarely bleeding edge. There's not much wiggle room for them amongst Samsung, HTC, motorola and LG. They have a chance here to really shine as the premier Windows Phone manufacturer. They ARE going to have to work their asses off to bring WP7 up on par with Android and iOS though. I predict a heated battle over third place between HP, Nokia/Microsoft, and RIM.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm really surprised that they binned Symbian though. I honestly thought they were just going to push it down into their low end to make the dumbphone smarter.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

dissss posted:

I'd have thought it'd be even harder to differentiate themselves in WP7 given you can't chuck a skin over it like you could in Android.

Aside from Motorola the big Android handset producers are also doing WP7 models remember.

HTC, Samsung, and LG will likely always prioritize their Android phones over their Windows phones. Nokia has an opportunity here to be the quintessential Windows Phone experience. Depending on the nature of the partnership with Microsoft they can own the hardware and software experience in much the same manner that Apple does to make a really slick product. At least if they are smart they will.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

dissss posted:

The whole point of WP7s relatively strict hardware requirements is that any WP7 phone should provide the 'quintessential Windows Phone experience'.

Anyway it'll be interesting to see what happens to the track - six months from now and we'll know if this move has paid off

Really?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/...indows-phone-7/

It looks like Nokia will be able to do whatever they want with it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

whatever7 posted:

If MS really let them do it do you think HTC and Samsung will continue to make phones for WP7?

HTC, Samsung, and LG will continue making WP7 phones as long as they think they can make money doing so. Nokia still needs to establish a beachhead in North America, and until then those three are the only real source of Windows phones in this market. I couldn't see them giving up on the platform until then.

dissss posted:

They say they can but won't.

Certainly sounds like they're all talk and will be just another hardware OEM

If they are smart they'll take advantage of the leeway Microsoft is giving them on this. Nokia needs a killer feature that makes people want to buy their phone over the other WP7 devices out there, otherwise you are right and they'll just be a second rate OEM.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Or they could make lovely rear end WP7 phones and send them to die.

Having phones in the US carriers lineups has nothing to do with the quality of the phones but everything to do with carrier relationship. Having a WP7 phone is by no means a guarantee you get to get in the carriers stores.

You asked if HTC et al. would stop making WP7 phones because of this and I answered with a definitive no, because there would be no reason for them to stop.

All I'm saying is what I think Nokia should do to succeed. I'm not saying what they will do. I'm not a fortune teller, or time traveler. If I was, I sure as hell wouldn't be on this thing.

whatever7 posted:

What leeway you are speaking of?

From the top of this very page that you quoted earlier. No other manufacturer gets this deal. This is why we don't have sense on HTC windows phones.

ZShakespeare posted:

Really?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/...indows-phone-7/

It looks like Nokia will be able to do whatever they want with it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I came from a Nokia N900 to a Desire Z with a brief stopover in Samsungland. It's fantastic.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I've been running the CM7 nightlies, and for the most part I just leave wifi, gps and automatic brightness on, and it makes it through the day easily. Some days when I'm out more I have to manage that stuff though. It's about the same as the Galaxy S and light years beyond the N900. The biggest factor I noticed is that you REALLY need to turn off wifi when you aren't using it or the gps, and turn on airplane mode when you are in an area with no signal (one of SFU's classrooms concrete bunkers).

If you really want to get a lot of life out of an android you could always try juice defender. Also at one point I had a tasker profile that would disable mobile data when the device was asleep and turn it on every 10 minutes to check for emails etc and the thing would go for a couple of days. Mugen power makes an 1800mah battery that fits in with the stock cover too.

All that being said, I wish it was better. The phone could really have benefited from at 1500mah battery.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news..._death_have.php

Take a look at the slide, 2nd image. Does anyone else think this will even happen?

*continues waiting for 1.1*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Well who would buy a Symbian phone after last week's announcement if they think they'll never get an update?

fake edit: The same people who thought they were going to get updates with any Nokia phone.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The Meego tablet interface was impressive a year ago when it debuted. It looks like it hasn't changed at all since then, and looks bad compared to Honeycomb.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm waiting for the day that there is a really good Android camera phone.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

After using an on-screen keyboard exclusively for the past year or so, I could never go back to a fat, bulky physical keyboard phone.

I know people who profess the opposite to the point where it seems to be a largely religious argument between the two. Between my old Galaxy S and my Desire Z, I learned that I can swing both ways.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Maemo's multitasking and IM integration was phenomenal. Pretty much the only things I miss.

e: oh yeah, built in python interpreter was cool for my nerd cred.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

So apparently 1.1 should have given me Ovi Store back with a full wipe/reformat. It didn't.

And on top of that Nokia Canada/Flextronics refuses to reflash my phone because it's "not Canadian." I bought it from Newegg.ca.

gently caress Nokia. I'm done. I want to throw this thing against a wall.

That's what happened to me when the PR 1.1 update bricked my N900 using Nokia's own update software. I got lucky that I was only a couple of days outside of my return period and Newegg is awesome so they replaced it. Neither Nokia Canada nor Nokia USA would touch it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

If I needed cheap phone for Wind Mobile or Mobilicity, I'd definitely pick that up over the Huawei they are offering in that price range.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

When I bought the n900 all I wanted to be happy was to be able to send a text message with one hand. A feature I presumed would come with the update that added Portrait mode support that all the blogs said Nokia had promised.

I was very sad as too will you.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

We have a portrait qwerty android phone here is Canada, and it is absolutely terrible. BMG might be big and mean, but he's right on this one. Once you get used to screen typing, it's a breeze. It took me about a month, though I'm coming from landscape qwerty land.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Peven Stan posted:

It takes loving forever to acquire a satellite without network usage though, if the E72 is any indicator .

Judging by my experience with the N900, and the Galaxy S (World's shittiest GPS in a phone), this is generally the case. At least for getting a "cold lock".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'd also like to point out that there are a bazillion other camera apps on the market that give you a better experience than the admittedly poor AOSP camera app that comes with Cyanogenmod.