Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locutus of Burg
Aug 1, 2003

o<:O
You really should if you're here, imho. Who doesn't love free-flow beer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America
I have a night class, but have fun dudes. (I'm not a big drinker anyhow.)

Ret
Sep 17, 2004

Wao lao. That was a good night gents.

Locutus of Burg
Aug 1, 2003

o<:O
Certainly was! A+, would do again.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Arietta posted:

Is it really that terrible? Any particular reasons? It would be nice just to keep it in mind. I always feel like it's somewhat similar to home when I'm there (Hawaii).

Let me help you get the Singapore experience.

First, make sure you have assets that can be reached by a Singaporean court. Secondly, have an old family friend slap you about the face and neck in front of friends and colleagues. Carefully read the Constitution and especially the bill of rights. Now burn it, it doesn't apply to you (this actually works in America now too - that's progress for you). That stuff is politics and should be left to the politicians. Next, turn over the contents of your current account to an impecunious relative and write a series of large checks to the state of Hawaii. Change your health care plan so that you have an enormous co-pay and only qualify for extremely substandard care in the worst hospital (but make sure your ward has a view of a hospital where very rich people get the best possible care). Move into a shoe-box apartment and make sure to pay at least $500,000 for it. If you vote against the incumbent in your next state election, you must vandalise the building. If you have any money prudently invested for your retirement or a rainy day, find a large, poorly-managed, poorly-capitalised institution with a history of lousy, high-risk speculative investments and donate all your savings to it. Tell them it's OK if they lose it all.

Finally, have your boyfriend strip you naked in a freezer, tie you to a chair and beat the loving poo poo out of you with a thick rubber hose. He should be sure to make you sign several statements admitting that your volunteer work at a soup kitchen is actually part of a communist subversive plot to undermine the US government. For good measure, he should be sure to threaten you and your family's lives and then lock you in your bedroom for a few months.*

When you're feeling OK with all of that, you're ready to hold a political rally and mildly criticise government policy. Or make people laugh at the Minister Mentor. Or suggest that powerful people should be held accountable when they make terrible investments and lose billions of dollars. Or criticise the use of the death penalty or the impartiality of the courts. Or ask what the government will do to protect you from the substandard Lehman Brothers investment products that a state-backed bank marketed to you back in 2007.

I will be in the public gallery to wave to you at your trial. A nice man in a black robe appointed by the government of Singapore will preside. He will know all about your case because a nice man in a white shirt from the civil service will be sure to call him beforehand and explain everything of relevance.

Remember all your worldly goods from step 1? Well, you don't have to worry about them any more!

Congratulations, you are now a Singaporean.

Now, if you really want to push the boat out, start an independent newspaper in Singapore and dare to make your own editorial policy.** I wonder if SA will still exist when you are released from indefinite detention?

I hope this was helpful to you and anyone else planning to visit or live in our pleasant Republic. Majulah Singapura, as we used to say.

* If you enjoy this sort of thing, that's cool because this is SA. But don't do it because that's not the point of the exercise. Plus you would just be fined and locked up some more if you admitted it.

** This is a Singaporean joke so it's OK if you don't get it: you can't actually do any of this in Singapore!

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006

Locutus of Burg posted:

Certainly was! A+, would do again.
Any hot chicks, cool stories?

Ret
Sep 17, 2004

Hey for a $500k you can get a pretty massive 5+ room shoe box sir.

I'm applying for PR but I am also going to watch the video you posted

creamyhorror posted:

Any hot chicks, cool stories?
I will post some pics below. But yeah I got home around 4 am after rolling around in grass near my place.

Thar be one goon in every photo cept the last 2

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

The bridge is our home for anyone looking for goons. And yes we do have stairs at one end of our house.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
Is this yourself, or do we have another goonsir here?

Looks like a lot of fun, chick is hot, etc., good work!

Ret
Sep 17, 2004

Alas tis not me

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
It's funny how often I chilled at bridge and I never knew it was a goon hangout.

I've celebrated the last 2 halloweens there and many saturdays. I always like seeing the regulars, like one of the ladyboys, the dude with his bicycle full of lights blasting 80'ties hits and the backpacker dude playing a didgeridoo combined with trance music. And after a few hours his saliva dripping from the didgeridoo would from a long long line across the bridge. I haven't seen him in a while.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

a japanese pop icon posted:

I honestly think it's more a cultural thing. Singaporeans (in my experience) hate everything, including their own country. You'll get the same anger if you bring up other countries, Malays, mainland Chinese, Americans, Europeans, or any topic that's not food. They are as a whole very fun people but they're just raised to hate things I think!

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure 90% of singapore speaks English and it's taught in the schools. You'd have to teach foreigners, I think.

We do hate everything except food! And we speak English, we just do it pretty loving badly and won't admit it

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Kessel posted:

We do hate everything except food! And we speak English, we just do it pretty loving badly and won't admit it

Singapore food is so good even you hateful people couldn't hate it.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

What up Singapore goons! I moved out here in mid August from Hong Kong and recently got my employment pass as a researcher. I was wondering if there is any good live music in this city? I've been poking around and so far it seems pretty dead.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006

Quantum Cat posted:

What up Singapore goons! I moved out here in mid August from Hong Kong and recently got my employment pass as a researcher. I was wondering if there is any good live music in this city? I've been poking around and so far it seems pretty dead.
My information is semi-out-of-date, but possible suspects are Timbre (saw a good cover band there), Wala Wala, Jazz@Southbridge.

If you like film, you can check out The Screening Room on one of the nights when it shows a movie in its in-house screening room (lol). The rooftop bar is nice, too.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

Kessel posted:

我很高兴你和我同意。

Saya senang awak bersetuju.

I don't know Tamil.

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 23, 2010

william567
Dec 1, 2007
She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable
What's the action for NYE parties in Singapore this year?

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

william567 posted:

This, NYE club nights please. Can't find poo poo on what places like Zouk or Attica are doing, in fact can't find anything about anything NYE related online.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

william567 posted:

I would also be interested in this, I land on the 28th of December and will not let jet-lag determine what I can and can't do.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Thinking about applying for the Singapore branch at a job that would start next year. I've read this thread and all, but can anyone point me to a big/general list of basic laws that one should be aware of? I know about some of the more extreme examples (drugs), as well as things like chewing gum, but I was wondering if there was just more detailed information on things that won't get me into trouble.

Aside from that, I don't have anything too specific to ask in terms of living since this is so far in the future, but what's the internet like in terms of speed and price? What are the local TV shows like? Are video games reasonably priced/available?

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

Kenshirou posted:

Thinking about applying for the Singapore branch at a job that would start next year. I've read this thread and all, but can anyone point me to a big/general list of basic laws that one should be aware of? I know about some of the more extreme examples (drugs), as well as things like chewing gum, but I was wondering if there was just more detailed information on things that won't get me into trouble.

Aside from that, I don't have anything too specific to ask in terms of living since this is so far in the future, but what's the internet like in terms of speed and price? What are the local TV shows like? Are video games reasonably priced/available?

Some people I know get gum from Malaysia pretty often.

Internet is fine, everywhere I've talked to requires at least a six month commitment, I think it was around 600+ but I forgot. Local TV is loving awful, but there's plenty of channels that aren't local. Video games here seem weird to me, I've seen some new games that were cheaper than they would be in America and some that were considerably more expensive, I don't really know how it works. There are tons of places to buy used games though, and in Malaysia you can buy pirated games for like 1.5 Sing dollars. The game selection seems to be about the same though.

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 2, 2010

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

Cuatal posted:

Some people I know get gum from Malaysia pretty often.

Internet is fine, everywhere I've talked to requires at least a six month commitment, I think it was around 600+ but I forgot. Local TV is loving awful, but there's plenty of channels that aren't local. Video games seem weird here to me, I've seen some new games that were cheaper than they would be in America and some that were considerably more expensive, I don't really know how it works. There are tons of places to buy used games though, and in Malaysia you can buy pirated games for like 1.5 Sing dollars. The game selection seems to be about the same though.

Does BT work or is that blocked by most ISPs? Also for games are the versions usually Asian region or US region? Honestly I was worried that gaming there would suck in terms of supply, but that's nice to know that it's not really hard to find stuff. What about movies?

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

Kenshirou posted:

Does BT work or is that blocked by most ISPs? Also for games are the versions usually Asian region or US region? Honestly I was worried that gaming there would suck in terms of supply, but that's nice to know that it's not really hard to find stuff. What about movies?

Sorry, I'm not very good at internet stuff, do you mean BitTorrent? If so, yes. My laptop is a Gateway and I haven't had any problems with any of the games I've bought. My DS that I bought in America also hasn't had any problems. I don't have any experience with PS3s or 360s or Wiis though. Older movies here are quite cheap but I've seen new DVDs for around 40 Sing dollars (I think that's around 35ish USD). Much like video games, you can buy pirated movies in Malaysia extremely cheap.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Do they just not check your poo poo when taking stuff in from Malaysia?

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

Kenshirou posted:

Sometimes they do, but I just left mine on the bus. As far as I know they don't check the buses at all.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Kenshirou posted:

Unless you're really, really unlucky, you can hide stuff like chewing gum in a bag. They only take a small look in the car, unless as I said, you're really unlucky.

I'm using Singnet and Bittorrent isn't blocked, though. Also there's an assload of games to be bought at Funan, it's not that bad, really, and from what I've seen most games that are region specific are US region, for some reason.

Also hello there, I'm a native Singaporean. :)

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Kenshirou posted:

Not really. It's more of a fast glance in your trunk when traveling by car and I don't ever remember being checked when I traveled by bus.

I've only been caught once, and that was because we left 2 cartons of gum right at top of the bags of snacks we bought. It was right in the customs guy's face when the car boot opened.

I only know/heard of 2 other people who got caught: someone from my family's church who got stopped when customs found a pack of gum in her hand bag on our way back from a church retreat and a colleague's friend who got caught with pirated dvds.

For the gum, they took it away and gave a verbal warning. The dvds, customs took it away, got the guy's details, gave him a warning and told him that they'd be making a visit to his place of residence within the next year. He promptly threw/gave away all his pirated stuff when he reached home.

Kenshirou posted:

BT works, but according to a news article a couple of months ago, the traffic to high bandwidth apps/sites was throttled during peak hours. I'm on Starhub, the other major isp.

I think it's the asian region for games. This site - http://www.play-asia.com/ - offers both us and asia regions for xbox games.

For PC games, I remember buying local on release date tends to be cheaper then what I'd pay on steam. (Thought that may be due to unfavourable exchange rates at the time) Any game older then six months is probably cheaper to get on steam since retail prices for games never really seem to fall much.

Movie dvds are mostly in region 3, though you'll occasionally find other regions that were imported in (most often region 1). New movie dvds are around $25-$30 SGD.

Local tv is terrible, that's why we have cable. The two companies offering cable (Singtel & Starhub) also offer internet and mobile services, there's normally some sort of offer if you sign up for all 3 (cable, mobile, internet).

mania fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 3, 2010

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Thanks for the posts. So it's still at least possible to DL American shows from BT, even if it might get throttled at times then? For Steam does your stuff activate fine with the local keys on your foreign account? From what I've read, Blu-rays are Region 1, so it would be cool to be able to buy local on those if they're relatively cheap and recent.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
Blu-rays are horribly expensive here AFAIK, that's why some people order them from the US. BT is mostly not blocked, but the speeds will vary depending on your area (my cable connection sucks for BT, for instance, while my friend's runs like mad all day and night).

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Yup. Sometimes I get insane speeds and somewhere else the download inches forward at 10kbps. I think the speed should be suitable enough to download shows. Seconded to not buy Blu-rays here. Seriously just buy a DVD unless you're planning to import.

I'm using Steam and it's working fine, I think it's not really region based.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Sucks about Blu-rays. You can usually order them from Play-Asia if they're somewhat popular releases, which is what I did in Japan to deal their high prices. Do they have bandwidth caps or check for downloading shows and whatnot?

How's the health care/hopsital system? It seems pretty good based on what I've read, but I'm just curious to hear some first-hand opinions.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

From what I've experienced, they throttle your downloads at certain times of the day. I've personally never got terrific speeds and I don't think the faster plans are worth the dough. The speeds here are shockingly backward compared to countries like Hong Kong and Japan.

They don't check what you download. Some of the local folks are still spooked out about illegal downloading though, since a local anime distributor tracked down torrent downloaders and demanded thousands in compensation a couple of years ago. Anyone worth their salt doesn't give a poo poo though, and internet piracy is rampant.

Local TV is indeed terrible. If you plan to watch any TV at all, you'll need cable. HBO, movies, sports, news networks. I kinda liked the Russian channel when they had it free for a while.

If you're looking for video games, there are a few reliable game stores scattered across Singapore. Qisahn, Playboxx and Funzcentre are the good names I've heard (google them, they all have websites). Beware of tourist traps in Lucky Plaza and Sim Lim Square.

You get a choice between private and public healthcare here. The latter is subsidised substantially for locals; foreigners are probably better off going private. Standards are high and you won't die here too easily.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006

Vegetable posted:

You get a choice between private and public healthcare here. The latter is subsidised substantially for locals; foreigners are probably better off going private.
Why go private? You get charged much more for service and expertise that generally isn't any better. Public is the way to go even if you don't get any subsidy, especially the National University Hospital, National Skin Centre, etc. Very modern, good docs, and very reasonable fees.

quote:

From what I've experienced, they throttle your downloads at certain times of the day.
It's probably just heavy traffic. BT speeds are high in the morning and early afternoon, from some informal study I read on a blog, and plummet after that, which jives with the simpler explanation that there're just too many people using the narrow net pipe that connects Singapore to the world.

creamyhorror fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 5, 2010

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

creamyhorror posted:

Why go private? You get charged much more for service and expertise that generally isn't any better. Public is the way to go even if you don't get any subsidy, especially the National University Hospital, National Skin Centre, etc. Very modern, good docs, and very reasonable fees.
Should have explained that my experience was largely with clinics rather than hospitals. The waiting times for public clinics are usually very long, up to two hours for me. I fully agree with you though, the public hospitals are top-class.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Thanks for the replies. I don't really have anything else to ask at the moment but everything seems pretty great.

william567
Dec 1, 2007
Can anyone recommend a phone carrier? Preferably one that does month to month plans.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Should have explained that my experience was largely with clinics rather than hospitals. The waiting times for public clinics are usually very long, up to two hours for me. I fully agree with you though, the public hospitals are top-class.
Ah, I totally forgot you might be talking about the polyclinics, it didn't even strike me :doh: I suspect many Singaporeans don't even bother going to them. It's either the GP or the hospital for my family, usually. Mainly because of the waiting times at the polyclinics, as you said.

william567 posted:

Can anyone recommend a phone carrier? Preferably one that does month to month plans.
What do you mean by month to month? The two main types of phone service here are postpaid (i.e. the usual monthly subscription contract) and prepaid (stored-value refillable cards). All 3 providers have mostly similar pricing and reliability for both, though IIRC M1 and StarHub tend to be a bit cheaper. The postpaid plans have a contract period of two years, so if you're staying for less than that someone else will have to tell you if there's a better option for you.

creamyhorror fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 7, 2010

william567
Dec 1, 2007
Yeah I'm referring to a post paid plan where you arnt in a two year contract but instead 'month to month'.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

a japanese pop icon posted:

I honestly think it's more a cultural thing. Singaporeans (in my experience) hate everything, including their own country. You'll get the same anger if you bring up other countries, Malays, mainland Chinese, Americans, Europeans, or any topic that's not food. They are as a whole very fun people but they're just raised to hate things I think!
Singaporeans can complain about everything and anything. It's in our blood.

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

alkanphel posted:

Singaporeans can complain about everything and anything. It's in our blood.

Yeah I have never heard more complaints than from Singaporeans over trivial things. It's funny because they all "hate" Singapore but if you diss Singapore at all they get hyper defensive, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi Singapore goons, I'm from Hong Kong and am thinking of traveling around SEA for 2 weeks during December. I'm thinking of going from Bangkok ---> Siam Reap --> Ho Chi min city and then take a plane to KL.

Do people still speak Cantonese or is it relegated to the older Chinese population? It would be awesome if I can meet some of you guys or and have someone showing me around! Will treat dinner/coffee/copious amounts of alcohol :)

What kind of souvenirs can I get in SG? Does Bee Chang Heung really taste better in SG (I know silly question, but relatives are curious)?

Air Asia rocks, too bad there's not flight from SG to HKG, but a flight to KL is so cheap so who cares!

• Locked thread