Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America

caberham posted:

Do people still speak Cantonese or is it relegated to the older Chinese population?
Cantonese isn't that common, because Hokkiens and Teochews make up the majority of the Chinese population. You can try it, though, some of the older folk may understand you even if they're not Cantonese. Back then people understood multiple dialects, and HK movies and dramas have been popular for a long time.

quote:

It would be awesome if I can meet some of you guys or and have someone showing me around! Will treat dinner/coffee/copious amounts of alcohol :)
I'll be in China over 5-18 Dec, but if you're around outside of those dates I'd be very happy to show you around. I'm sure other SG goons will offer to meet up, too.

quote:

What kind of souvenirs can I get in SG? Does Bee Chang Heung really taste better in SG (I know silly question, but relatives are curious)?
I can't really think of good souvenirs from Singapore. No idea about Bee Cheng Hiang - is the style of bakkwa/rougan the same in HK? While you're in KL you should absolutely pick up the traditional sweets like coconut candy, dodol, etc. and drink any traditional cendol you come across. Oh, and pig out on durian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Yeah, most people I know speak Hokkien, only a small majority can actually speak Cantonese, though it's not that rare.

As far as I know Singapore really has no souvenirs worth buying, it's mostly food. Just buy lots of food. Unless you're a fan of those merlion statues.

I would like to meet up, but I have overprotective parents and all, so yeah. :downs:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

creamyhorror posted:

Oh, and pig out on durian.

OH HELL YES! I'm gonna have one everyday, that's the nice thing about South East Asia and Thailand, awesome Durian, Coconut, lychee and Longan! Philippines still have the best mangos and calamansi in the world though :colbert:

Deadly Chlorine posted:

I would like to meet up, but I have overprotective parents and all, so yeah. :downs:

:what: Well just tell your parents you are going out to meet some friends, and tell your friends to provide an Alibi. It's not like you are going to have random sex with strangers or anything... Or you can be passive aggressive, turn off your mobile phone and just leave the house. You can write a E/N thread after the poo poo storm :munch:

mania
Sep 9, 2004

caberham posted:

Does Bee Chang Heung really taste better in SG (I know silly question, but relatives are curious)?

According to my Mom and her friends from HK, yes it does taste better. Her friends buy tons of bwa kua to bring back home for their relatives each time they're here.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi everyone, I will be leaving Ho Chi Minh City on Dec 12 and arrive at Kuala Lumpur and leaving Singapore on the 19th. If anyone wants to hang out and do stuff that would be cool!

Ugh it's cold here in Hong Kong. Can't wait to get on the plane!

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
hello singagoons! I've been in singapore for over a week now, and I'm kind of liking the place. any suggestions for places to drink really really cheaply ? I feel like my SEA-inspired drinking habit is kind of hampered by your horribly expensive alcohol..

Locutus of Burg
Aug 1, 2003

o<:O

Klogdor posted:

hello singagoons! I've been in singapore for over a week now, and I'm kind of liking the place. any suggestions for places to drink really really cheaply ? I feel like my SEA-inspired drinking habit is kind of hampered by your horribly expensive alcohol..
If you feel like being trashy, bring store-bought alcohol and drink it at the Clarke Quay bridge. It's all good there.

william567
Dec 1, 2007
She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable
Is that bridge a sort of refuge for legal public drinking?

Locutus of Burg
Aug 1, 2003

o<:O

william567 posted:

Is that bridge a sort of refuge for legal public drinking?
I would say so although the 'don't do anything that would get you thrown out of a bar' principle still applies. But store-brought drink: Sure, go ahead. Also a lot of sociable young students and interns hang there so if you want to expand your network the bridge is not a terrible place for that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Can you (in general) not drink in public in Singapore? Basically the norm here in the US, but I got used to it being okay in Asia.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Hello! Singagoon here.

Yes, it is legal to drink along the streets in Singapore. In fact, that's how I used to do it when I was a poor student. (Pay entry to a club and get some booze from a store and hang out until it was time to dance)

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Yeah, it's perfectly fine, I've seen a lot of people do it. Get used to some uptight parents giving you that look, though.

william567
Dec 1, 2007
Coming to live there in two weeks time, very excited! Any general tips or advice you'd give?

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

I'm currently teaching in South Korea. I do virtual volunteer work for a not-for-profit organization in America. One of the women I work with grew up in Singapore and visits her family there each year. She assures me that the job market in the US is not going to improve for at least another two years, and Singapore is much better for raising a family (I'm married).

I have an MA in English and experience in copywriting and teaching. Would it be possible for me to obtain a job in Singapore given that virtually all Singaporeans speak perfect English? Where should I look?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

william567 posted:

Coming to live there in two weeks time, very excited! Any general tips or advice you'd give?

Well, what are you looking to do?

On the cleaner side of things, the Jurong Bird Park, the Zoo and especially the Night Safari are definitely places you should not miss.

For food, try as much as possible to eat hawker food, they are mostly clean and extremely tasty. Avoid food courts in shopping malls as they are usually expensive and the food just is not as tasty.

If you are looking for a beer, be sure to be all touristy and visit Clarke Quay. It is especially beautiful now with all the Christmas lights up. Clubs such as Attica and restaurants such as Brewerkz and Forbidden City are notable attractions.

One of things about dining out and drinking in Singapore is that it can get quite pricey, so you should plan for that.

If you are a foodie, Singapore is definitely a place for that with food available almost around the clock, for example in Geylang, our red light / late night entertainment district.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006

caberham posted:

Hi everyone, I will be leaving Ho Chi Minh City on Dec 12 and arrive at Kuala Lumpur and leaving Singapore on the 19th. If anyone wants to hang out and do stuff that would be cool!
Dude I went to China early and am back now. (In fact I was in Futian in Shenzhen for several hours!) Contact me if you're free to meet up. Other goons welcome.

Rabid Koala posted:

I have an MA in English and experience in copywriting and teaching. Would it be possible for me to obtain a job in Singapore given that virtually all Singaporeans speak perfect English? Where should I look?
I don't know about the job prospects for you, you could possibly make decent money as a teacher in an international school if you can secure a position. Failing that, English tuition should be able to support you (and you can get rich if you're some sort of super tutor).

I actually wanted to comment that "virtually all Singaporeans speak perfect English" is an extremely incorrect statement. It's more like "not many Singaporeans can speak perfect English", and "most Singaporeans speak Singlish and not English most of the time".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rabid Koala posted:

I'm currently teaching in South Korea. I do virtual volunteer work for a not-for-profit organization in America. One of the women I work with grew up in Singapore and visits her family there each year. She assures me that the job market in the US is not going to improve for at least another two years, and Singapore is much better for raising a family (I'm married).

You could teach in public schools by applying here. If you want to be a private tutor, make sure you're familiar with the local syllabus. At all levels, it's mostly just comprehension passages and essay writing. You can tutor students privately or through tuition centres. The latter is easier but you obviously lose some of the benefits.

Being a private tutor can be great. Higher pay than school teachers, flexible hours, getting to ditch rear end in a top hat students, avoiding office politics/school bureaucracy. Not to mention there is huge demand for private tutors, I imagine especially so for English tutors too. If you know what you're doing, you could be a very happy person.

creamyhorror got it right: not many Singaporeans have perfect English. English is actually the Achilles' heel for many top students - they can ace their sciences and maths but fail at English. Conversational English isn't a problem but written formal English is a common area of weakness.

If you don't want to teach, I'm not sure what else you could do. A degree in English isn't very respected in Singapore so you may have problems getting past some employers. I'm sure there are exceptions but you'll have to ask some of the corporate guys around. That said, job prospects here are probably going to be better than in the US for the foreseeable future.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just watched Tron by myself at the Cathay cineplex and the cineplex rocks! Im just sitting at the rucksack 2 hostel Listening to lovely Karaoke at a pub downstairs. If someone wants to do something this saturday or sunday together that would be awesome!

Singapore seems to be a nice and clean city, except the MRT is kind of a pain in the rear end when you have to walk so much for a transfer :( And like Hong Kong, I noticed that most poreans have a grudge against mainlanders!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

caberham posted:

OH HELL YES! I'm gonna have one everyday, that's the nice thing about South East Asia and Thailand, awesome Durian, Coconut, lychee and Longan! Philippines still have the best mangos and calamansi in the world though :colbert:

Also you should be eating mangosteens (mangkut -- the purple one) and custard apples (noi na - the super bumpy green one) constantly while in Thailand as they're exceedingly hard to find elsewhere. And delicious.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006

caberham posted:

I just watched Tron by myself at the Cathay cineplex and the cineplex rocks! Im just sitting at the rucksack 2 hostel Listening to lovely Karaoke at a pub downstairs. If someone wants to do something this saturday or sunday together that would be awesome!

Singapore seems to be a nice and clean city, except the MRT is kind of a pain in the rear end when you have to walk so much for a transfer :( And like Hong Kong, I noticed that most poreans have a grudge against mainlanders!
Get a prepaid SIM card ($15-18) and we can set something up. I'm doing wing chun with a friend tomorrow (today, actually) in the late morning near Dhoby Ghaut/City Hall, will be free after that. Rucksack Inn sounds nice, it's near Central mall, isn't it?

Yeah, some Singaporeans don't have a good impression of mainlanders. Not sure how you noticed that, though, or have you been talking to Singaporeans?

The lousy MRT transfers are between the old lines (N-S and E-W) and the new ones (North-East and Circle). That's the drawback of staying along the N-E line, where many hostels are located...

william567
Dec 1, 2007
How do you find the rucksack inn 2? I'm booked there for a week starting from next sunday, if you're still around.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I had a fun time with creamyhorror today. We had delicious hawker noodles near lavender station for lunch. Insane long line up but the fried noodles were really good. The night safari was amazingly fun and I spent too much time waiting and watching the animals moving around and seeing flying squirrels zip around trees in the dark! But my stop in Singapore was not as action packed as the rest of my trip because it was my last leg and I just felt like relaxing instead of going out there and explore everything as much as I can with a 7 kg backpack of photo gear.

I definitely will come to Singapore again for a longer duration as I feel that the city is more fun to live in for a week or 2 than staying for 3 days. Going to sentosa, trying camping at the out lying islands and enjoying the greenery of a modern city. Most SE Asian cities and even Tokyo are just huge concrete blobs. I love the cleanliness and abundant amount of greenery in Singapore!

As for the rucksack inn, it's situated on Hong Kong street and is inbetween clark Quay station and China town station. Just walk along south bridge road and you will find it. Personally though, Ruck sack is bigger in space but more expensive and not as comfortable to sleep at night compared to beary good/nice. The karaoke place just stopped singing at 4:18am. And there's karaoke everynight. Cancel and switch to beary good if you can. Springier mattresses and nicer blankets.

But then, it's the crowd that also makes the hostel stay fun and I suspect people tend to mingle with each other a bit more in ruck sack since there's a nicer common room.

Awesome McAwesome
Jul 25, 2007
Yes I am!
I wish I had found this thread before I went to Singapore over New Years, but regardless, I had a great time! I was pleasantly surprised at the biking I was able to do on Pulau Ubin. If anyone is headed to Singapore and has an extra day on their itinerary, you need to go to Ubin, rent a bike and just set off.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby
looks like im doing 3 nights in singapore this month on business. anything decent to pick up as souvenirs or snacks that i cant get elsewhere? i'll be in the CBD at the intercontinental.. should be able to finish up everything on day one and have another day and a half to kill.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

gently caress it rained a lot over the past week. Siloso Beach Party was super fun for NYE.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006

Awesome McAwesome posted:

I wish I had found this thread before I went to Singapore over New Years, but regardless, I had a great time! I was pleasantly surprised at the biking I was able to do on Pulau Ubin. If anyone is headed to Singapore and has an extra day on their itinerary, you need to go to Ubin, rent a bike and just set off.
Glad you went biking on Ubin, it's good fun. I would've brought caberham there if there'd been time.

quote:

looks like im doing 3 nights in singapore this month on business. anything decent to pick up as souvenirs or snacks that i cant get elsewhere? i'll be in the CBD at the intercontinental.. should be able to finish up everything on day one and have another day and a half to kill.
Maybe Bee Cheng Hiang bakkwa/肉干, which supposedly is better than that in HK. But there's not much souvenir/snack-wise that's really uniquely Singaporean.

- You can walk around the more individualistic shops in the very pleasant Ann Siang Hill area (Club St, Amoy St, etc.) and find ornaments and sundry stuff there, plus one or two artsy bookstores.

- Or head to Katong in the east and sample the Nyonya/Malay food in the area, and the Katong laksa. Katong laksa is loving delicious.

- Little India has some interesting sights - e.g. the Post-Museum, a small oasis of progressive and free culture, and a few decent bars and eateries.

- If you like books you can go to Bras Basah Complex (a short walk from City Hall MRT), which has a goodly number of bookstores.

creamyhorror fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 7, 2011

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

creamyhorror posted:

Glad you went biking on Ubin, it's good fun. I would've brought caberham there if there'd been time.

Maybe Bee Cheng Hiang bakkwa/肉干, which supposedly is better than that in HK. But there's not much souvenir/snack-wise that's really uniquely Singaporean.

- You can walk around the more individualistic shops in the very pleasant Ann Siang Hill area (Club St, Amoy St, etc.) and find ornaments and sundry stuff there, plus one or two artsy bookstores.

- Or head to Katong in the east and sample the Nyonya/Malay food in the area, and the Katong laksa. Katong laksa is loving delicious.

- Little India has some interesting sights - e.g. the Post-Museum, a small oasis of progressive and free culture, and a few decent bars and eateries.

- If you like books you can go to Bras Basah Complex (a short walk from City Hall MRT), which has a goodly number of bookstores.

welp... sounds like malay food if i run into anything interesting... BUT, is this true what i see? I can get actual quality PORT in singapore? sounds like time to stock up :D

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

welp... sounds like malay food if i run into anything interesting... BUT, is this true what i see? I can get actual quality PORT in singapore? sounds like time to stock up :D
I didn't know that. Seems like it'd be expensive, what with all the alcohol taxes here...

Have fun, let me/us know if you need further details.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

creamyhorror posted:

I didn't know that. Seems like it'd be expensive, what with all the alcohol taxes here...

Have fun, let me/us know if you need further details.

a poo poo port here will easily sell for 3-4 times what it should be... actual real port... if you can actually find it is in the hundreds. if blowing $50 for a decent port is actually possible im all there

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Kaya toast rocks! And yes, Bakkwa tastes better in Singapore!

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

a poo poo port here will easily sell for 3-4 times what it should be... actual real port... if you can actually find it is in the hundreds. if blowing $50 for a decent port is actually possible im all there
You'll want to check out the duty-free airport alcohol store then - I'm not sure if they have much/any port, but it's worth a shot.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Awesome McAwesome posted:

Ubin biking owns, more people should do it

The last time I went, the bike rental man told me it was a lost art

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Hey I moved out here a few months back and now that I'm settled in(scored a job) I was hoping see if any sing goons would be up for drinks or something over the long weekend?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Hey William567, if you didn't get with that Canadian tonight I'll be disappointed.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Have any of you been to Marina Bay Sands? The infinity pool on top of the building looks amazing. I want to go to Singapore just to swim in it (yes, I know you have to be a hotel guest).

I remember reading a forum thread a few months ago where a Singaporean dad was talking about buying his 5 year old daughter an iPad now that she's in preschool and will be learning. When people questioned why, he said he wants to give her an equal footing with her peers technologically and he doesn't want her to fall behind. Is he just nuts or are a lot of parents like that over there?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

SnowWolf posted:

Have any of you been to Marina Bay Sands? The infinity pool on top of the building looks amazing. I want to go to Singapore just to swim in it (yes, I know you have to be a hotel guest).

I remember reading a forum thread a few months ago where a Singaporean dad was talking about buying his 5 year old daughter an iPad now that she's in preschool and will be learning. When people questioned why, he said he wants to give her an equal footing with her peers technologically and he doesn't want her to fall behind. Is he just nuts or are a lot of parents like that over there?

Kaisu or however it's spelled is a very powerful force here. It's a cultural thing that they don't want to lose out on anything to anyone. But as for the iPad, its also a status symbol out here, because nobody really uses them for anything productive.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006

SnowWolf posted:

I haven't, been intending to do it sometime. Maybe over the lunar new year period with some friends.

quote:

What thread was this? I find it hard to believe a Singaporean would actually ask about something like that on SA, in that it's just so...out of place. Anyway, he's pretty much a rare case. Kids most certainly don't carry iPads around. More to the point, most parents don't really understand the educational capabilities of gadgets. That dad must have been a big progressive thinker and tech geek.

I will say that there are real uses to tablets and smartphones for learning, but I haven't met any of my countrymen who's using a spaced repetition system on them, for example.

creamyhorror fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 20, 2011

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby
Ok, im here for one more day and i have a shopping list for the gf. what's the general pricing on cosmetics and where's the best place to try hitting up?

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

creamyhorror posted:

What thread was this? I find it hard to believe a Singaporean would actually ask about something like that on SA, in that it's just so...out of place. Anyway, he's pretty much nuts. Kids most certainly don't carry iPads around. More to the point, most parents don't really understand the educational capabilities of gadgets. That dad must have been a big progressive thinker and tech geek.

I will say that there are real uses to tablets and smartphones for learning, but I haven't met any of my countrymen who's using a spaced repetition system on them, for example.

It wasn't on SA luckily. I dug up the thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1009470

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Ok, im here for one more day and i have a shopping list for the gf. what's the general pricing on cosmetics and where's the best place to try hitting up?
No idea, sorry. Maybe a female Singapore goon, that rarest of creatures (okay I think we have one actually), will appear to tell you.

SnowWolf posted:

It wasn't on SA luckily. I dug up the thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1009470
Basically what I expected (gadget lover plus liberal parent), but his unabashed, unashamed admission of being kiasu is quite disagreeable.

• Locked thread