Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
sky shark
Jun 9, 2004
WALKING ARGUMENT FOR GUN CONTROL

I masturbate to Matthew Bracken books and long to kill black people. Also I leave guns laying around for criminals to steal.

I want a 106UR. I must have one. UNF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I masturbate to Matthew Bracken books and long to kill black people. Also I leave guns laying around for criminals to steal.

cheese posted:

That gun gives me a raging mega boner. Very smooth looking without going tactilol.

everything you need on an ak. nothing you don't.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

gently caress the triangle stock. If you want a sidefolder, you might as well go for the Arsenal, or an ACE side folder. But the sheer compactness of this setup has a lot going for it.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

You can switch out a standard side folder for this one though, right?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

5.45?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

The Automator posted:

If you're like 6'3" or taller, get a NATO length. Warsaw length is the short standard stock which is perfect for anyone like 6'2" or shorter.
The correct answer is "remove any standard AK stock and replace it with a side folding ACE stock"

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

SixthFloorFreak posted:

I'm too lazy to rewatch it, but it sure looks like his helmet is on backwards.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

SixthFloorFreak posted:

does it make me a bad person to like Haley's AK?

Only thing missing is a side folding stock, so no. Notice the enhanced mag release on the new one that allows the trigger finger to drop the mag. Not sure what MRD he's running up front instead of the aimpoint though.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Craptacular posted:

It's a Docter Optic or one of its many clones.

Yeah, I meant I wasn't sure which brand. Could be a Trijicon, Doctor, J-point, Burris, or an Insight RMR or something. Those look like Larue Irondot ears on it too, right?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

As I understand it, most non-saiga Arsenal guns are largely Bulgarian.

Yeah, that was my impression too. The Bulgarian guns were supposed to be some of the best AK style rifles out there.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

What's the hivemind opinion on the Midwest Industries AK rails?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Yeah, it's really just a matter of spot welding and pressing poo poo. I've got a press, jigs and all sorts of crap needed to build but never got around to buying a welder so all these kits I purchased are just sitting around. If you have everything you need, it's a matter of having time, it's not hard at all.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

daskrolator posted:

Tenngalil on uzitalk's website is http://www.hillbillyfirearms.com/welcome.htm which leads you to his email, which is as follows: jeff at hillbillyfirearms dot com

He will build any galil to your spec from any variety of parts, from kits + receivers, to kits + golanis. He does provide what he has coined as the "golani special" where he he will fix a variety of the common problems with the golanis, even if means re-barreling it.

Here's some of his work

Found my next gun.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

commissargribb posted:

I'm still hoping and praying for arsenal/kvar to start making and importing Bizon kits.

No poo poo. I'd be all over them.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Misha for the love of god, please tell Arsenal to make Bizons

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

incredibull posted:

Funny you should post this because I have a huge boner for the Vityaz, which is the box-fed version of the Bizon that you posted. Turns out nobody liked the weird Pringles mag on the Bizon. Vityaz is basically an AK that thinks its an MP5.

poo poo, I like it. You can go super prone with one, not to mention it takes up very little space when folded. A SBR version with the cylindrical mag and QD suppressor would be tits in a briefcase or toolbag setup

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

commissargribb posted:

More pics of the Bizon with gas system (or lack there of really).

Yep, I still want it. With the cylindrical mag. I don't care how fubar or wonky it is.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I'm wondering how the barrel changes out since it's billed as multicaliber

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

incredibull posted:

Not sure what you mean. It's probably the same as any other AK in any caliber that they exist in, though without inside pics it's hard to tell if it's still a standard pinned barrel/trunnion.

Well all of the descriptions say that it takes all current AK mags, so I'm guessing that this is a multicaliber rifle... so I'm curious how it changes caliber.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

incredibull posted:

Still not sure I'm following you. Are you suggesting that they're saying a single rife itself is multicaliber without a barrel change? I don't think that's it at all. I think they're just saying that your current magazines for caliber X will work with this rifle when it is chambered for caliber X as well.

Otherwise, there is nothing about the AK design that ties it to a specific caliber. Russian AKs in 5.45, 5.56, and 7.62x39 all share the same dimensions for magazines (not the whole mag, but the area that inserts into the receiver), barrel outside diameters (for the most part), and such. All that's required is the correct barrel, bolt, and magazine for the desired caliber. So in essence the AK already is "multicaliber". It's not until you get into some of the large calibers or AK-based shotguns that a lot of the basic receiver/barrel design changes a bit to accommodate physically larger cartridges.

The AK as a series may be multicaliber, however, the specific models are not.

The promo pictures show it as AK-12 with 5.45 5.56 and 7.62x39 listed next to it. See: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...rifle_2-tfb.jpg

Text descriptions from various sights list a "Light" and "Heavy" model similar to the SCAR. Given the boner the industry has with multi caliber rifles these days (SCAR, ACR / Masada, ARs in every flavor) and that this is a new design and they go out of their way to say that all the mags fit, I'm wondering if this is going to have the capability of being multi-caliber with a quick barrel change, or if it's stuck in a single caliber like standard AK models

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

The Rat posted:

That one's supposed to be okay, but I've never handled it.

Ultimak rails are solid but very heavy and will throw off the balance of the rifle a bit.

If you're starting from scratch (ie, haven't bought any rails yet), I would go with the extended version of this: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_96/1...Hand_Guard.html

That way you can really reach out there and control the gun without having enormously heavy handguards.

Similarly, I'm a pretty big fan of the Sampson because you can have your optics mounted over the dustcover, but they are EXPENSIVE

This MI solution looks like a great one.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Yeah, why not use rail covers?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I don't see what is so great / terrible about it. It looks pretty slim, but otherwise how is it markedly different from an Ultimak?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I can't remember the consensus, but is there an AK side mount scope rail that lets the side folding stocks fold, or does that necessitate a stock replacement? I'm eyeballing that Midwest rail they have - http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...category_id=433 but if that doesn't work I can always mount one of their universal rail kits

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

incredibull posted:

Factory left-side folder? I don't believe they will work with any side rail mount at all. The left-side folders - whether triangle or solid - will fold flush to the receiver only when the side rail is unused.

Which is stupid as gently caress. Goddamn it Russians! I wish someone made an adapter that allowed me to replace the conventional plastic side folder with an AR style stock that ALSO cleared the rail

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

daskrolator posted:

I bought one of these this week, going to mount an aimpoint t1 micro on it next week. will take pictures.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...category_id=421

Please post reports ASAP

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I have 2 unfired krink 7.62 bulgarian underfolders or something I need to put together. I bought them for $500 each back in the day

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

That samson krink rail looks pretty cool. I wonder if it will work on my sbr

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Exactly. That Midwest universal is just about perfect. Only the amount of rails you need for actual use, leave the rest blank. Unless you are a weirdo like mysel that prefers the fat grip of grip panels over rails.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Welp... looks like it's between this and the MI AK universal rail

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

They never made those for 7.62x39 right?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

28_days posted:

Didn't the son of Tapco's owner used to be a goon? Is he still around? He seemed pretty cool--but took a lot of crap.

I think they made him a mod.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

For fucks sake, why has nobody made an adapter that allows you to swap out the russian side folding stock for a AR compatible one. Knock out a pin, replace, mount AR stock, done.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Seriously, how the gently caress is it that nobody has made a drop in replacement for the standard left side folding stock plate to allow mounting an alternate stock.

ACE you are missing out on a million theoretical internet bucks

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

incredibull posted:

I would guess it's because a stock has to be specifically designed for the left-side folding mechanism in order to actuate the retainer latch, or else the stock will just flop around.
Don't care, there's workarounds. Only time the stock is going to be folded is when it's not actually being carried anyhow, so that point is moot for me. Worst case scenario, you have a latch adapter or even a magnet attached to the stock so when folded it sticks to the receiver.

Mishaco posted:

I talked about why making replacement left-side folding stocks would be a dumb idea a page or two ago.

Really it would be dumb. Almost as dumb as NATO length stocks on AKs.
The advantage would be the ability to mount a varying LOP stock onto an AK without having drill out or cut the trunion, for one. Hence the huge popularity of the ACE AR-stock-on-AK systems already out there.

As far as scope rail clearance, people already deal with that with their existing ACE side folders too.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

incredibull posted:

Hey if you can make something work, more power to you. I just don't think there's a huge demand for it. As I said a while back, I think most buyers of left-folding AKs intended from the start to use the gun in combination with the stock types that it was designed for.

And most purchasers of fixed stock AKs don't? Yet here we are with this viable market of people taking a goddamn hacksaw to their AK rifle to cut off the tangs.

Hell, if it's done right you can still mount a standard ACE hinge on it, which wouldn't flop around... you'd just have two hinges, the factory and the ACE.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Ceros_X posted:

What about keeping the mechanism but changing out the type of stock? ie, going from a wire stock to a skeleton stock?

Exactly. Pop out the pin, put in a new block with an AR buffer adaptor, roll in cash. I don't know why you guys are having such a conniption over this? gently caress removing the trunion, all I'm looking for is a drop in part that let's me pop on an AR stock

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Mishaco posted:

We're having a problem with it because you don't seem to get it.

The left side folding stock only comes on $1k Arsenals and Arsenal only makes a couple hundred of them a year. People buy those guns for that stock.
If you want an M4/AR style stock or any other type, just don't buy an SLR. Get an SGL with a standard rear trunion or a WASR or a Waffen Werkes or any thing at all else.

Instead of buying an SLR-107F for $900+ and then taking off the solid stock, buying an adapter and then buying an AR stock; just buy an SGL for $700 with a fixed stock, remove the fixed stock, and install your AR stock. Plenty of companies make drop-in stocks for that standard style on the SGL/WASR/whatever.

Ace isn't much interested in making a specialized adapter for the SLR because there are not many of them out there compared to WASRs and even SGLs. Hell, the SLR hasn't even been imported for 2 years until recently. Ace can barely keep up with their current workload.

Are you getting it yet?

People who buy SLRs want either the triangle skeleton stock or the solid one. People who want AR stocks buy WASRs, SGLs, or even SIG556s with M4 type lowers.

There is no advantage to an SLR over an SGL, EXCEPT that left-side folding stock. Honestly, in all of my years of AK'ing, no one has even asked for an adapter but you.

Like Incredible said too, it would be difficult to make a stock witha different LOP, that could still use the SLR's latching mechanism and a stock that couldn't latch closed would be a no-go for 99% of shooters.

We're not slamming on you man, just we don't understand why you want such a piece of hardware.

Because I have 3 SLR rifles already that I'd much rather have AR stocks on? Hence my searching for an adapter? Because I don't want to buy 3 new 5.56 AK's when it'd be super awesome for me (and everyone else who has already bought a SLR) to be able to just pop a pin and switch out the stock? Get the picture yet?

If I didn't already own the rifles, I'd say gently caress it and buy 3 fixed stock 5.56 AKs and just cut the tang off and mount ACE side folders.... like thousands of people have done in the past.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

daskrolator posted:

If one could fabricate the locking lug on the folding stock out of steel and weld a pignose stock to it, it would likely be the easiest solution (I'm assuming the link below is made out of steel and not aluminum or plastic). A way more complicated way would be to turn out the adapter in a lathe then do the locking lug in an end mill.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply...IGA-AK47/Detail

Pretty much what I envisioned: Have the locking lug have two mounting holes on it, then screw the appropriate adapter onto those holes.

http://riflestocks.com/store/product57.html

Manufacture the end of that, but designed to drop into the existing hinge & lock mechanism. Attach AR-15 stock adaptor, away we go.

Anyhow, gently caress it, I might just sell them and buy fixed stock 5.56 ak's instead and abortion them up. I'm surprised that there's so few of these available, I'd have thought that Arsenal / KVar was doing thousands of rifles with these a year, not a couple hundred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

daskrolator posted:

If you end up doing it put me down for one. Hell, if I can get access to a mill I may just try to build the locking lug myself and add two mounting holes.

No kidding, I'd pay $75 a piece

«2 »