Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
This is the thread for posting photos of yourself and showing off your self-portrait skills!

Thoughts for rules:
  • Post as many pictures as you want!
  • Don't make fun of the way people look. Be kind.

That's it for now.

Here's me--

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 30, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Hop Pocket posted:

Dexter!

:lol:

Now that's cruel. But funny.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 1, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 1, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Peter Mansbridge posted:

Only shot I could find of me shooting.

Fan picture from the 2009 Roger's Cup, I'm on the left:

That's pretty cool. Do you have the resulting shot?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

Took this one today.

:golfclap:

Nice.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Bread Zeppelin posted:

This is pretty much incredible. How the hell did you get up there?

Here's one I took today because I was bored:

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 1, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I said it was a self-portrait. :haw:

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 30, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

First one is this:

http://www.adorama.com/SALFB1010PG.html

Second is this:

http://www.backdropoutlet.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AB502

drat, that's expensive. Do you not have room for a background stand and seamless rolls? It's a much cheaper way to go. See here. Plus, the paper doesn't crease, or if it does get creased just cut it off and pull down some more. I have had my seamless paper for over a year now.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 3, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Yeah, getting the paper to the location is the tough part. My background stand, on the other hand, collapses down into a 4ft by 1ft bag with a shoulder sling that I can take anywhere. But on the flip side of that coin, I can't stand ironing background fabric, and while folding it is really handy it tends to get crumpled, and that can get annoying.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

SAD crosspost

A+ for effort, but I can tell it's staged. I think the hardest part about taking self-portraits is making yourself look expressionless, which this shot deserves in my opinion. You sort of have that self-conscious glimmer that says "I know I'm taking a picture of myself." It's like watching an actor who knows he's acting so the performance is unconvincing. When I'm doing self-portraits I usually take an absurd number of pictures specifically for this purpose, so that my self-consciousness dies out and I just grow tired or something, and the expression is more realistic.

In this one, I don't trust that what you're looking at is real. I don't believe that something has caught your attention. You're just looking away for the purpose of the photo, but you're trying to convince us that you're looking at something real. Maybe you could have fooled yourself by having something thrown in the air or dropped by a timer or by a friend. Maybe you could have set an alarm clock to go off and suddenly when it did you would look over at it, and then take the picture. It would generate a "real" reaction, a real look of the eyes towards something.

Otherwise, I think this is a great photo and it looks like you've pulled inspiration from a number of other photographers. But I can't get past the expression. I'm a tough critic, though. If 20 people say they like this you should go with that.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I think if you're going to prop your chin on your hand and look in a specific direction with great meaning you should feel that motivation within you naturally, and let it happen. In the back of your mind you might know "this is all just for a photograph" but you have let some of that go. The trick is figuring out ways of making this motivation happen so that you are doing this for a real reason. But you could also try doing it through repetition, like I might do, because that tends to wash away the feelings of self-consciousness and eventually, one of the frames works the way it's intended.

You did a fantastic job on the lighting and the setup, and it's not what I would consider a bad picture by any stretch. But I would have sat there and captured 30 more frames just for variation. Hey, it's digital, why not.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

azathosk posted:

This is me, and the Yashica I was trying out:

Eivind & Yashica by azathosk, on Flickr

Either you had a very large mirror outside or somebody else took this picture... hence, not a self-portrait! Ha!

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Whoops! Missed the OP!

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

torgeaux posted:

You do realize YOU are the OP, right?

Yes, I do recall that fact.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

My first self-portrait. Also the first time I ever used studio lights.

It's not really a self-portrait. It's more like a picture of your camera.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Me on the left:

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Would you say this is an OK self portrait? I shot it two years ago, I haven't changed much except lost a bit of weight. Is the B&W conversion not quite right or does it look okay? Does the hand look stupid? I know I look kind of serious in it but I am a pretty serious person so I would rather have a serious look than a smiley face.

Do you feel it needs brightening? What do you think of a square crop? Perhaps I should brighten up my eyes?

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

nonanone posted:

The crop up top kind of makes it look like you've got no hair up top. Even if you don't, you could fake that bit so it looks like you do. It depends on what you're using the picture for. If it's for selling yourself, it's really quite off-putting, and even if you look goofy with a smile, it's a lot more comfortable. If it's for artistic purposes, I think however you actually are is probably how it should go, and if it's for facebook, you need a much higher angle, as if a phone is tilted towards your face. The hand looks kind of stupid no matter what though.

I'm not very good at taking self-portraits. I haven't done enough of them to really get good, as it requires a certain amount of familiarity with yourself, I think, to achieve something good -- unless you just get lucky. Some people are naturally good at self-portraits and that becomes their main focus. Anyway, I appreciate the critique even though you think "the hand looks stupid no matter what"! It wasn't planned that way. I think I probably took 20 or so shots and just found a position that felt relaxed and took the picture.

rio posted:

Was messing around after playing a wedding gig at the shore today. Haven't tried many self portraits. Shot with a 16mm, so I tried to minimize the distortion in post.

DSC08934.jpg by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

I think this is a great self-portrait that you should definitely keep. Great moment.

Elite Taco posted:

I got a ringlight:

Pipe down there, Mr. Hot Shot! Ooooh, you've got a ringlight. You want a medal? Huh?? You know I could make a ring light out of tupperware.

Nah, I'm kidding. You look pretty bling there. Keep it up!

• Locked thread