Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Reiche posted:

That really is the best part and I hope there will be more like it. I am looking forward the when she does lose for the first time though.

I really can't wait for her to fight Sanae again. I'm also hoping that's where her first loss comes from since I figure Natsuo's first loss coming to her would be a lot more dramatic than it would some random fighter or even Yuzuko or Ringi (who we already know are probably way above her right now).

I think it does a great job of making you both like and dislike Natsuo as well. It's easy to see or infer why she's a complete bitch but at the same time I really can't wait for Sanae (or anyone, really) to put her in her place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Batterypowered7 posted:

I can't wait until she starts dating :3:, though I guess the boy would have to be at least as strong as her to keep her interested.

And have a thing for tall girls

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Suben posted:

I think it does a great job of making you both like and dislike Natsuo as well. It's easy to see or infer why she's a complete bitch but at the same time I really can't wait for Sanae (or anyone, really) to put her in her place.

It's funny: I'm actually waiting (and a longer wait it will be) for exactly the opposite. It's gonna be glorious when she beats Ringi, especially.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

bhsman posted:

And have a thing for tall girls

He'll be 6'3" or something. It'll work.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Batterypowered7 posted:

He'll be 6'3" or something. It'll work.

So, essentially, Kongoh Bancho. :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

So, essentially, Kongoh Bancho. :v:

:aaa:

"Hello, Captain Osaka? I'd like to commission you to draw a six-chapter doujinshi! ...Yes, I'll hold."

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Oh god think of the children

dead monkeys
Aug 22, 2005

hehe i'll teach ya the ropes kid
I don't read much manga but am really enjoying this can anyone recommend something similar not necessarily about MMA just anything good, will definitely check out All Rounder Meguru.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The chillness and only-somewhat-twisted protagonist actually remind me a lot of Hoshi no Samidare/The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer.

If you're okay with something Martial-Arty, but much more brutally villainous, I could recommend Shamo. Of course, I always recommend Shamo, because I'm just that kind of guy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If you are talking about serious girls doing things competently without flashing skin or obsessing over guys, then I'm afraid you are out of luck as far as manga is concerned. Teppuu is the exception that proves the rule for misogyny in manga. For manwha, Veritas has very strong female characters, though of course they are heavily sexualized.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Serious Frolicking posted:

If you are talking about serious girls doing things competently without flashing skin or obsessing over guys, then I'm afraid you are out of luck as far as manga is concerned. Teppuu is the exception that proves the rule for misogyny in manga. For manwha, Veritas has very strong female characters, though of course they are heavily sexualized.

Claymore's pretty great too, even though it has nothing to do with MMA.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Veritas has very strong female characters, though of course they are heavily sexualized.

This is actually untrue. Very few, if any female characters in Veritas are the least bit strong.

Go skim over it again and see how many instances of Damsel-in-Distress you can find.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Swamp Zero posted:

This is actually untrue. Very few, if any female characters in Veritas are the least bit strong.

Go skim over it again and see how many instances of Damsel-in-Distress you can find.

Um, Madoka got beaten up by Fire Dragon once? Aside from that one fight, no one has rescued a single female character. Well, I guess there was Hyunmi's fight with the doll, where another girl provided unwanted assistance before she was told to stop.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Um, Madoka got beaten up by Fire Dragon once? Aside from that one fight, no one has rescued a single female character. Well, I guess there was Hyunmi's fight with the doll, where another girl provided unwanted assistance before she was told to stop.

Madoka vs Guesong Bro. R.I.P. Guesong Bro.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Dont make me run through the chapters

Madoka. She lost to some dude on a flashback, was helpless, she got owned by fire dragon, she won againt bro tho. Then she got drunk and a had a breakdown.

Yuri hasn't done a single thing besides being a mewling kitten in flashbacks and almost getting raped by bro?

Her sister hasn't done anything either except drool

the black haired bitch hasn't done anything but get owned by gangryong once

And thats what I remember right now. Basically they just say that the women are strong but all the actual events happening show them being weak.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Swamp Zero posted:

Dont make me run through the chapters

Madoka. She lost to some dude on a flashback, was helpless, she got owned by fire dragon, she won againt bro tho. Then she got drunk and a had a breakdown.

Yuri hasn't done a single thing besides being a mewling kitten in flashbacks and almost getting raped by bro?

Her sister hasn't done anything either except drool

the black haired bitch hasn't done anything but get owned by gangryong once

And thats what I remember right now. Basically they just say that the women are strong but all the actual events happening show them being weak.

Madoka also beat Guesong into a bloody pulp once. Yuri killed Guesong. Vera killed Lightning Tiger. Hyunmi killed Guesong again. Shinra has been pretty much all talk so far, though.

What you seem to be missing is that the female characters win and lose on their own, without needing a guy to rescue or avenge them. Also, the male characters lose just as much if not more often. Gangryong has spent most of the series getting stomped into the ground, and Rud was in a similar position in the past. Guhoo, Paul and of course Guesong spent most of their time getting beaten up. Fire Dragon easily handled Madoka, but he also took on the three guys who were with her with equal ease. Why focus on Madoka losing there and not say, Hayato?

It is actual gender equality, not just swapping the same old gender roles like Claymore. Look at the upcoming match-ups. You can't tell who will win or lose based on gender, and even Gangryong might lose considering that is what he usually does.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

There's so long between chapters in this you practically need a 5-page refresher just to remember what the gently caress you read months ago.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Yuri is the older sister, not Vera.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

bhsman posted:

Yuri is the older sister, not Vera.

Oh, right. Vera did still indirectly get LT killed, though.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Vincent Valentine posted:

There's so long between chapters in this you practically need a 5-page refresher just to remember what the gently caress you read months ago.

I just read it from the beginning cuz it's that good and the beginning chapters are so full of awesome smug bitchiness

And it's only 9 chapters so far

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I don't post much 'round these parts but I wanted to chime in and agree that this series is such a breath of fresh air that I can forgive its few growing pains. Let's review:

-The women aren't eye candy. Hell, the main trainer at the gym has a face like an anvil. Still, if you told me she was based on a real person I would believe it because that's exactly what she looks like.

-The female characters are strong and not in the trite "grrl power!!!" sort of way. They've worked hard and they are what they are. Male fighters are still treated as a sort of gold standard but some dude got his teeth kicked in by a Brazilian teenager in chapter 2 so WTF.

-This manga flips every trope and stereotype around. It's almost like reading the average sports manga from the other side. The main character is naturally talented, bored because nobody can challenge her, and she gets into the sport for all the wrong reasons but still manages to have a pretty good work ethic. A lot of the supporting characters in her gym are drawn like the throw away villains in most other sports mangas. It's delicious.

I can't imagine much commercial success for this serious but I'm just so drat happy to realize that some artist in Japan has noticed all the worn out tropes they've been leaning on. I'm mightily impressed that the artist can reverse so many stereotypes and still tell a good story.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 25, 2010

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

McCracAttack posted:

-This manga flips every trope and stereotype around. It's almost like reading the average sports manga from the other side. The main character is naturally talented, bored because nobody can challenge her, and she gets into the sport for all the wrong reasons but still manages to have a pretty good work ethic. A lot of the supporting characters in her gym are drawn like the throw away villains in most other sports mangas. It's delicious.

This is the main thing that hooked me. I'm not very involved in the personalities or goals or anything of any of the characters yet as it's fairly short, but this so far has been enough for me to keep reading.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Vincent Valentine posted:

The chapters are quite long to compensate, though.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
aaaaaaaaaa I thought there was a new chapter :smith:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Swamp Zero posted:

aaaaaaaaaa I thought there was a new chapter :smith:

Me too. And me replying is going to make someone else think the same.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Batterypowered7 posted:

Me too. And me replying is going to make someone else think the same.

Goddamnit!

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

ub posted:

Goddamnit!

Now you are doing it! ... crap, now I am doing it!

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Could you guys please stop bumping this thread? thanks

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
hey this is pretty good! i like how all the unlikable, ugly characters are the protagonists while all the antagonists are nice, capable people with good attitudes

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

hey this is pretty good! i like how all the unlikable, ugly characters are the protagonists while all the antagonists are nice, capable people with good attitudes

Finally a protagonist I can relate with.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

TenementFunster posted:

She's not ulikeable...

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

Reversal of the standard sports manga.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Reversal of the standard sports manga.

Tricking me into thinking there was a new chapter again. Argh!

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

What?! No!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

I can't wait until she starts dating :3:, though I guess the boy would have to be at least as strong as her to keep her interested.

Ugh, no. It would ruin this manga to have what is currently a cool, independent girl protagonist become preoccupied with a guy like every other female character in every other manga.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

(Since this day is already cursed for updateless posts repeatedly raising and dashing my hopes...)

I agree with you, but just because she was dating wouldn't mean she was pre-occupied with the date-ee.

Think of every anime with a collected, cool, male main character that has a romantic interest. He mostly still just does all the bad rear end poo poo that has to be done, he just also spares a tender moment for the flustered female. A reversal of that could be cool.

Or you could just go the Airmaster route, I guess. I haven't read it all yet, but it seems that while other characters fall for the main character, she doesn't really pay attention to them.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The best part about it as a possiblity would have to be that it wouldn't even be a tender moment. It'd just be like "Okay, yeah, I guess you can buy me dinner... thanks..." *awkward silence" "Okay gotta go."

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Heck she might just go out with some dude and crush his hopes and dreams. "Nah, this was boring, thanks for dinner though. Bye."

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Also, the only way she's ever going on a date is if her friend pushes them both into it. So that has some room for comedy.

But no this manga is fine with what it's already doing. Maybe if it turns into one of those mangas that seem to run forever... but I doubt it. Unless it's officially sponsored by the sport (is it?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Rakugoon posted:

The best part about it as a possiblity would have to be that it wouldn't even be a tender moment. It'd just be like "Okay, yeah, I guess you can buy me dinner... thanks..." *awkward silence" "Okay gotta go."

And afterwards she's all like "...I think that went pretty well."

• Locked thread