Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hahahahaha Natsuo's face went all shoujo sparkly for a second there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Sindai posted:

Oh god with new characters being introduced and how slow this comes out we'll all be dead before Natsuo beats up anyone important.

And yet it'll still make more progress than Hajime no Ippo.

Nice chapter though, introduces some more characters and builds upon current relationships/rivalries.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Don't compare that fight to HnI. It was drawn well, moved quickly and had a lot of variety. Teppu is a quality manga with good fights, interesting characters, and positive depictions of strong female characters. Hajime no Ippo is no longer any of those things.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I guess that's fair. I'd like to compare it to Berserk because both are released so infrequently, but it's moving a fair bit faster than that as well. I wish my favorite mangas were still good :saddowns:

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Teppu kind of suffers from the same problem of all my favorite sports mangas: I wish there was less sports, especially games that don't involve the main character. The best parts of the manga are just Natsuo walkin' around being a jerk and all awkward and stuff.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
I really liked that chapter. Good action, and a very nice depiction of mma. Fun to see Ringi sandbagging. Wish this stuff would come out faster!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Rakugoon posted:

Teppu kind of suffers from the same problem of all my favorite sports mangas: I wish there was less sports, especially games that don't involve the main character. The best parts of the manga are just Natsuo walkin' around being a jerk and all awkward and stuff.

I feel the opposite (not that I dislike Natsuo being a jerk). I feel like I'm actually learning some things about the world of competitive mixed martial arts. The mangaka has obviously done their research and their passion for the sport really shines through.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hey this is really good! Glad I stumbled on this thread, and decided to read it. Like everyone I also wish it came out more frequently, but bitching about it won't make it happen unfortunately. It has really memorable characters and it seems like the art, especially during the fight scenes has improved over the years too, I like watching artists learn and progress.

I wonder if my brother who doesn't really read manga but loves and does MMA would like it.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

a kitten posted:

I wonder if my brother who doesn't really read manga but loves and does MMA would like it.

Superstring posted:

I feel like I'm actually learning some things about the world of competitive mixed martial arts. The mangaka has obviously done their research and their passion for the sport really shines through.

If you're interested in MMA manga, might I recommend All Rounder Meguru? Pretty solid in its own right.

My only problem with Teppu is that new chapters come out monthly, which makes it hard to keep momentum in the thread, almost doesn't justify it, but I think that's been mentioned more than once in this thread.

Soth fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 14, 2011

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to All Rounder Meguru and helping me re-find Teppu. I'd read the first few chapters a while back, but I'd forgotten the title -- it was just "that neat manga with an rear end in a top hat protagonist getting into ladies' MMA, and it actually takes the premise seriously." I love Teppu for the characters, and I haven't gotten far in All Rounder, but the art is great and I'm glad I found it. It's interesting to see realistically portrayed fights in a manga.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
New chapter out. Not exactly sure what the title is referring to, though.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
lol at the box with "35 years old" out of nowhere.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

New chapter out. Not exactly sure what the title is referring to, though.

Is there anywhere else where I can read this ? Apparently somemanga is now private and doesn't let anyone else register... :sigh:

Found it.

theghostpt fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 8, 2011

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Goddamn I just thought of this series on the drive over this morning. I have some kind of magic thought process.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It lives!

e: the face of someone emotionally overwhelmed

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 21, 2011

genki
Nov 12, 2003
YES! I knew it was coming out around this time. Was worried the thread might actually fall off into archives. Thanks!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Yes, yes, yes!

Didn't know Cameron Diaz knew judo.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yay! So loving jazzed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Jesus god. That last page. :gonk:

I got shivers down my spine! Natsuo is terrifying[. I love it.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Gosh, gosh I wish this would get published in the US. There are a handful of folks I know who would eat this up, but balk at scanlations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rakugoon posted:

Goddamn I just thought of this series on the drive over this morning. I have some kind of magic thought process.
Think about this series at all times of the day. Please. I need more.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Crazy cat lady Cameron Diaz owns.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Endorph posted:

Think about this series at all times of the day. Please. I need more.

Sorry, if I did that Berserk would never update.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Cameron Diaz is so terrifying, she wins a grappling match by KO.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just read all 14 chapters back to back. What a good manga. Really want to read some more now :(

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

drat, I forgot about this, and how good it was. Really engaging.

DudeOnCrack
Jul 22, 2003
Well would you look at that, a new chapter! http://www.mangafox.com/manga/teppuu/v04/c015/

Goddamn her brother is a dick, I really wanna see her beat the poo poo out of him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That chapter was incredible, even by the standards set by the rest of the series.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holy poo poo this manga is so good.

Glad we got to experience Natsuo's sadistic side again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Seeing Natsuo act like a little sister is profoundly bizarre.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Jesus Christ. So that's her brother, eh? I suppose he proves what they say, then. Monsters aren't born... they're made.

The Blind Eye
Dec 12, 2011

As a man who has three younger sisters I must say I have never laughed so nervously at a cartoon before. That said it turned to hysterics when the music started, oh God this is hilarious.I love anime I love you Japan. I'm sorry I doubted this season. I love you Shinbo and Nisio Isin and ADTRW.

DrSunshine posted:

Jesus Christ. So that's her brother, eh? I suppose he proves what they say, then. Monsters aren't born... they're made.

Agreed. The question is who forged whom? Im getting the feeling the brokeness is going to go both ways.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Their mother hasn't appeared at all, has she? Like, not even as a silhouette in a flashback.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
The last time he showed up, there was speculation based on a few flashback panels that Natsuo probably protected him from somebody (bullies?) in the past, and he reacted to it badly, ending up as a shut-in. Based on this chapter he seems to have lashed out at her in some way, but it still doesn't fully explain why Natsuo seems to be so terrified of him.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Holy crap, Natsuo's hosed up. I don't think I've ever disliked a protagonist this much. Not because she's badly written or full of tropes, but because she's just so unlikable, the kind of person I would hate to have to interact with. She's self-centered and sadistic, and everyone knows it. The fact that her teacher is thinking "I've failed as an instructor" and hoping that Natsuo fails is pretty telling, and Natsuo actively tried to humiliate and toy with her opponent for the entire match. Not a classy lady.

And then you get to the end of the chapter where she looks genuinely happy and wanting to brag to her family about her achievement, and then the brother thing happens, and then suddenly we see this other side of her and suddenly she's weirdly sympathetic again.

Why does this have to come out so slowly?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Puukko naamassa posted:

but it still doesn't fully explain why Natsuo seems to be so terrified of him.
She was just trying to save him and now her beloved big brother hates her forever. :smith:

Sure she could beat the tar out of him but it wouldn't help.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 11, 2012

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

All-Rounder Meguru is up to chapter 56. I really like the way this manga sets up side characters and their backstories.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

blastron posted:

Holy crap, Natsuo's hosed up. I don't think I've ever disliked a protagonist this much. Not because she's badly written or full of tropes, but because she's just so unlikable, the kind of person I would hate to have to interact with. She's self-centered and sadistic, and everyone knows it. The fact that her teacher is thinking "I've failed as an instructor" and hoping that Natsuo fails is pretty telling, and Natsuo actively tried to humiliate and toy with her opponent for the entire match. Not a classy lady.

And then you get to the end of the chapter where she looks genuinely happy and wanting to brag to her family about her achievement, and then the brother thing happens, and then suddenly we see this other side of her and suddenly she's weirdly sympathetic again.

Why does this have to come out so slowly?

Someone said earlier that she's a sports manga villain written as a protagonist.

And it's awesome.

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.
Natsuo is in the running for my favorite protagonist ever. This is the first sports-manga I ever got more than two chapters into before eye rolling and dropping. From the onset the question on my mind was "how did she reach this place (mentally)" as that will define her. We have been teased twice now.

I never want to read about someone who has to work hard to make the smallest gains at some arbitrary activity and gradually build themselves up while befriending everyone they meet. I want to read about someone who can almost effortlessly excel at a given task, and then ram head-on into the brick walls of other people's jealousy and related reactions to that. That's the wall I want to see them overcome. Either by crushing them, or squeezing some respect out of them.

All she did just now was return her training-buddy's arrogance tenfold. I idly wonder how their dynamic will change after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I thought she was just trying to get as much practice under real competition conditions as possible. It's not her fault that her opponent wasn't good enough to make it interesting. :smug:

• Locked thread