Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
EDIT: I apologize about the bad tag.

About
Teppu is a new manga about mixed martial arts. The protagonist is a girl who's basically very good at sports, arrogant and pretty loving sadistic. She's bored with just owning everyone, and when a couple of pro mixed martial art girls transfer in her school, she also starts doing it.

Where it's at:
Manga has slow releases thus far, usually 2 months between chapters. There are 5 scanlated chapters out at the moment. Releases are done by Animexis. As for the raws, there seems to be 1 new chapter every 2 months, going by the "to be continued in xx/xx/xx" messages at the last pages, so RAWS should be at around chapter 6, with chapter 7 coming soon.

So is it any good?
Well, it starts slow, and with a 2-months/chapter pace it's gonna take a shitload of time to get anything resolved, but so far it's looking good.
It has good art, fairly interesting characters and all the makings of a good sports manga approaching: tournaments, training, competition. The fights themselves are sorta like Holyland, same level of realism, only way shorter and not described at all.

Summary from Onemanga:

quote:

Ishidou Natsuo is a gifted girl who can achieve anything she wants in sports. Because of this she is permanently bored, as there aren’t any real challenges to her abilites to make her feel alive. One day she receives an invitation of a merry girl to join her martial arts club. Irritated by her happy expression, Natsuo decides to accept the invitation just as a pretext to beat her up, but she receives a shocking surprise.

Swamp Zero fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
On your advisement, I've read chapter 1 of this manga. It is pretty interesting! I like the feel -- it's a bit like "Airmaster", if the Airmaster manga was not so ugly!

Thank you for the recommendation.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Teppu is really refreshing. It's not often I read a manga where the female characters aren't sex objects or second fiddles, and actually look like capable members of their supposed profession. Beyond that, the characters are entertaining and the premise is functional enough, and I'm hardly a fan of sports manga.

(zorak change tag to )

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Word. Plus it's actually good.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 25, 2009

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peel posted:

Teppu is really refreshing. It's not often I read a manga where the female characters aren't sex objects or second fiddles, and actually look like capable members of their supposed profession. Beyond that, the characters are entertaining and the premise is functional enough, and I'm hardly a fan of sports manga.

(zorak change tag to )

Posted about this in the shounen thread, and I also really like how un-sexist Teppu is. First manga I think I've seen with completely non-sexualized characters who don't base their worth on or revolve in some way around a male character. Even Inio Asano, in works like Solanin, still has a female character whose life revolves to a large extent around her boyfriend. The girls of Teppu aren't in love with any guys and actually have the type of bodies that an MMA fighter would have. And the main character is 6 feet tall!

For Japan in particular it's an amazing accomplishment.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Arm locks, Kimuras and triangle chokes? I am so loving sold on this.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I have never been into MMA but this looks fairly interesting. Natsuo does come off as a major bitch but it does look like her development will entertaining.

Oh yeah, eyebrows. Sexy eyebrows.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mexican Samurai
Nov 12, 2005
A new chapter was released today:

http://www.onemanga.com/Teppu/6/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Lovin' that chapter title.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
This series is surprising engaging. Hope the pace of translation picks up!

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Remo posted:

This series is surprising engaging. Hope the pace of translation picks up!

Sorry to say, it's the publishing speed that slows this. Releases are at worst 1 chapter behind. It's a 1 per 2 months chapter kind of thing :(

Still it was a great chapter, covered a lot of groundwork and got us that much closer to the good parts. And that new girl is pretty interesting.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Wow, I thought the scanlation had been totally dropped on this. I last checked in on it months ago with 4 chapters done.

I originally had a sinking feeling that the notable lack of sexual objectification had either sunk publication in Japan or scanlation interest here. Happy to know I was wrong.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Does anyone know the gender of the mangaka? From the interview in chapter 5, it seemed like a guy. But I know sometimes new female mangaka adopt a male pseudonym when starting out because of an apparent bias against them.

If this is their first big break I guess it may not be known who they really are. In any case, it's a nice refreshing change of pace to have realistic female characters in a manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Teek posted:

In any case, it's a nice refreshing change of pace to have realistic female characters in a manga.

It really is. I have a feeling Teppu might be one of the better sports oriented manga that's been written in the past several years, primarily because the characters seem really engaging and break a lot of stereotypes. Not only is the main character a tall, completely unsexualized girl, but she also has a "kinda dickish but super talented" personality that is in stark contrast to the "talent for...hard work!" cliche you usually see in shounen.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What I really like about it is that it goes into quite a lot of detail about the whole "sport" of it -- outlining the moves and such. I like to learn about things, and MMA has a lot to learn about!

chibi
Feb 11, 2004

Just read this, and I can't stress enough how amazing the portrayal of women is in this. You never get to see women portrayed like this in manga, and it's just amazingly refreshing to see.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

"I get some good sounds from you, too."

Loving this manga.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
As if the Beginner's Guide to MMA book didn't get me, the NOT Chris Cyborg appearance did.

The mangaka is going to get way better at depicting moves some day. My only complaint so far is there's no life in the MMA moves just yet. It just feels like s/he traced random MMA images.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chibi posted:

Just read this, and I can't stress enough how amazing the portrayal of women is in this. You never get to see women portrayed like this in manga, and it's just amazingly refreshing to see.

The sad thing is that I don't know if that's as much a good thing about Teppu as it is a really bad thing about the vast majority of other manga out there.

Does anyone have any idea what magazine Teppu is serialized in?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I'm really liking this so far.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Does anyone have any idea what magazine Teppu is serialized in?
In good! Afternoon. The magazine is bi-monthly and Teppu's been running since gAfternoon started in '08 so there's only seven chapters.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 30, 2009

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Guyver posted:

In good! Afternoon. The magazine is bi-monthly and Teppu's been running since gAfternoon started in '08 so there's only seven chapters.

Ah, thanks. The reason I was asking is that I was thinking other series offered in the same magazine might also be good since usually magazines carry a bunch of series with roughly the same demographic in mind.

7thLevelOfYar
Sep 30, 2003
You will be judged harshly.
It's like if Sakaki started beating up the rest of the cast of Azumanga Daioh!

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Is it just me or are the Teppu chapters really long?

I don't mind it, of course, but I can't recall anything i've read taking this long per chapter to read.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's really weird reading a manga of this type where the protagonist is the least likeable. Least INTERESTING, I'm used to, but Natsuuuuuo is a jerk, and I hope Ringi or Eyebrows pulls her stupid head off

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Is it just me or are the Teppu chapters really long?

I don't mind it, of course, but I can't recall anything i've read taking this long per chapter to read.

Well, like it's stated a few posts above, the manga is bi-monthly, so chapters won't come out very often. So you're going to get long chapters.

And my own opinion of the manga is that I don't think I've ever read one where the females are nonsexualized. The first time I saw Ringi in just her MMA outfit which showed her arms, legs, and abdomen I did a double-take because I can't really think of any other mangas where you see all the muscles developed (especially the abs).

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's really weird reading a manga of this type where the protagonist is the least likeable. Least INTERESTING, I'm used to, but Natsuuuuuo is a jerk, and I hope Ringi or Eyebrows pulls her stupid head off

What sealed the deal for me is that other characters ALSO think Natsuo's a jerk. She's not "cool" or "misunderstood", and no one is buying her "god it sucks to be great at everything without really trying" bullshit because it is bullshit.

We might be in for a shonen sports manga where growing up means something more than "get Stronger™ to beat Rival™", and that would be awesome.

I also like the crazy eyes everyone gets just before clobberin time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mary Annette posted:

What sealed the deal for me is that other characters ALSO think Natsuo's a jerk. She's not "cool" or "misunderstood", and no one is buying her "god it sucks to be great at everything without really trying" bullshit because it is bullshit.

We might be in for a shonen sports manga where growing up means something more than "get Stronger™ to beat Rival™", and that would be awesome.

I also like the crazy eyes everyone gets just before clobberin time.

After the first two or three chapters she doesn't seem nearly as bad. She wants to beat eyebrows girl and presumably Ringi, but she's willing to work for it and is respectful towards other characters like Kontani (or whatever the name of that kinda butch Japanese MMA lady is).

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I was wondering where all the MMA manga was. You'd think that after Pride it'd be a more popular subject. Anyway it seems alright so far, I'll just wait for Nats to actually start competing.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I'm loving it so far. It's like a slice-of-life genre, but...with MMA fighting. And considering how MMA has a lot of full body contact, I really respect that it's not sexualized at all.

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'

MadDuck posted:

I'm loving it so far. It's like a slice-of-life genre, but...with MMA fighting. And considering how MMA has a lot of full body contact, I really respect that it's not sexualized at all.

You can always take things out of context.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nguyen Leet posted:

I really wonder what people thought when I practiced grappling with that other dude in my dojo? :gay:

But seriously speaking, that One and a half hour of ground grappling (no strikes allowed) was the most intense MA experience in my hawaiian kenpo classes in the year. Hell I even got loving mad because I missed a class due to work and it HAD to be another ground grapple one. I even got a rear naked choke on the other guy, it was awesome.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
As far as Natsuo being unlikeable goes: Her attitude is basically more like the Rival character in most sports series, whereas just-having-fun Yuzuko is more like what you would expect out of a protagonist.

That reversal is probably a big reason why I quite like this so far, so thanks OP for the tip.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's good that she gets this little glint-in-the-eye thing and gets totally hosed with by the girl who's only 177 cm tall because if she just went around and was arrogant all the time this comic would be pretty boring.

Nguyen Leet posted:

Sanae is not impressed. :geno:

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I'm pretty impressed with this so far. The main character already has stand up skills from doing full contact karate, but the mangaka is willing to let her suck at everything else, and even brings up her bad habits like not protecting her face. She's not getting on the mat and turning into some ridiculous grappling phenom, she's working at her skills in a normal way. Very refreshing, since I was expecting some Hajime no Ippo-style shonen silliness mixed into the fighting to make it more interesting to people who don't know what's up.

The author seems to have either trained before or is an uber-fan too. All those exercises are standard warmups that I've seen before, and the positioning for the grappling is logical. Plus they brought up cardio as a limiting factor, instead of something you just have to push through with your MANLY SPIRIT. Gotta admit, the headbutt guard pass made me laugh though, and it's entirely believable for that level of skill.

quote:

As if the Beginner's Guide to MMA book didn't get me, the NOT Chris Cyborg appearance did.

Ha, I noticed that similarity too. I guess that makes the teacher Megumi Fujii? Ringi's dad is an obvious analog for Rickson, so I wonder what they're gonna do with him.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

7thLevelOfYar posted:

It's like if Sakaki started beating up the rest of the cast of Azumanga Daioh!

This is exactly what I was thinking, even to the extent of putting Sakaki's voice actress as Natsuo's voice in my mind.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

This is exactly what I was thinking, even to the extent of putting Sakaki's voice actress as Natsuo's voice in my mind.

For some reason I think Natsuo looks like Revy from Black Lagoon. Maybe it was the way she had her hair up in a couple scenes.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

MH Knights posted:

For some reason I think Natsuo looks like Revy from Black Lagoon. Maybe it was the way she had her hair up in a couple scenes.

Good to know I wasn't the only one that thought this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Everything I have to say about this manga has already been said, right down to Natsuo being like an Evil Sakaki, but it still owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, if you like this manga you might want to check out Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru. It does have some character cliches, but one nice "broken" cliche is that the main character starts out with gymnastics experience and is legitimately talented and in great shape. So sorta like Teppu you have a competent protagonist who isn't just some dumbass with a heart of gold and work ethic.

• Locked thread