Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Vincent Valentine posted:

There's so long between chapters in this you practically need a 5-page refresher just to remember what the gently caress you read months ago.

The chapters are quite long to compensate, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

hey this is pretty good! i like how all the unlikable, ugly characters are the protagonists while all the antagonists are nice, capable people with good attitudes

Reversal of the standard sports manga.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

Tricking me into thinking there was a new chapter again. Argh!

I'm a douche sometimes.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Now all there needs to be is a Black Lagoon update and I'm set for the month.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Guyver posted:

You won't be getting it for a while Black Lagoon is on hiatus in the magazine it runs in and they haven't said when it's coming back.

I know... a man can dream though...

a man can dream...

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I love this manga, so much.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

drat, I forgot about this, and how good it was. Really engaging.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Kinda feeling sorry for the girl who got destroyed by Sanae, that's probably not going to heal for a while.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

zerosix posted:

oh god that face on the last pannel.

i love this outsider deconstruction on the overly talented cheerful shonen character and its effects on others. :allears:

Yeah, it also kinda makes Natsuo more sympathetic in a weird twisted way. When she goes out to ruin people's hopes and dreams she's honest about it instead of it being just a side effect of being too awesome.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I feel the difference between Natsuo and Yuzuko is that Natsuo can tell that she is crushing peoples hopes and dreams when she beats them, granted she's a bit of a sadist because she enjoys doing so when it's someone who rubs her the wrong way, but at least she is aware of what she is doing. Yuzuko has so little regard for her opponents that she can't even see what she is doing to them and that lack of care and empathy in Yuzuko makes her feel almost inhuman. With Yuzuko saying "That was fun! Lets do it again some time! :haw:" after crushing someone who thought they stood a chance against her it's no wonder that she can come off as cruel and ignorant.

It's probably rooting for the one who feels human. Natsuo is an rear end in a top hat and probably sadistic too, but you can kinda deal with that with a small "Wow, rear end in a top hat." Everyone knows a few assholes, a lot are probably friends with them, but a preppy MMA Terminator is a lot harder to get behind because there's an almost uncanny valley effect there with the disconect between personality and straight dominance.

quote:

Well, it is a sport, and people enter the matches willingly, so "crushing" is a pretty strong verb to use, especially since Yuzuko finished her last fight with a submission hold and everyone remarked that the were evenly matched.

Now, if she delivered that perky line to a defeated opponent who was trying to keep her broken nose from falling off her face, yeah, it would be very sadistic...
It's more saying that to someone who is obviously mentally braking after the match like it was just a friendly spar. They were sayign that her career is pretty much over because of that loss, so she's crushed in the mental sense, if not the physical one.

It's probably easier to come back from a bad loss if the winners were outright assholes about it, in a "next time you fucker" way, getting motivation, there's nothing really you can get from losing quickly to a friendly opponent if you had your heart set on victory. It's a major setback and you can't even use anger for motivation because they were nice to you, making you feel like the rear end in a top hat for being mad at them.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

What I find kind of weird is that it seems to me like Yuzuko and Ringi are backwards. Yuzuko feels to me like she fights because it's all she really knows, and the concept of not fighting is foreign to her. It isn't even strictly about fun (though she does enjoy it) as a matter of it being her life in a way that it isn't for other fighters. That seems like it would fit what little we know about Ringi (that her father's basically raised her on MMA), but as I recall Ringi overall seems relatively more balanced as a person while Yuzuko seems to almost completely lack any theory of mind whatsoever.

Then again, it's been a while since I read through everything, so maybe I should go back through it again instead of going off my piss-poor memory.

Maybe it's because Ringi is the daughter and not the apprentice. She probably already knows all sides of MMA as a business and a sport so she's probably got a more balanced idea of what it means to be an MMA fighter.

I'm just glad there's actual discussion in between chapters...

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

:sbahj:
I missed this manga.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Looks like the next chapters are going to be shorter, but after this adrenaline rollercoaster of a fight I think a bit of a cooldown is needed.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Apropriate music for this chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwBH3Fj1zSc

So does that mean we're getting a "Burning Hearts" montage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

coathat posted:

I don't know why y'all are so depressed that was a hilarious dream.

Both hilarious and saddening. Natsuo is pretty much completely hosed in the head, and MMA is not known for helping people get through mental issues as it is using them to pummel other people.

• Locked thread