Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peel posted:

Teppu is really refreshing. It's not often I read a manga where the female characters aren't sex objects or second fiddles, and actually look like capable members of their supposed profession. Beyond that, the characters are entertaining and the premise is functional enough, and I'm hardly a fan of sports manga.

(zorak change tag to )

Posted about this in the shounen thread, and I also really like how un-sexist Teppu is. First manga I think I've seen with completely non-sexualized characters who don't base their worth on or revolve in some way around a male character. Even Inio Asano, in works like Solanin, still has a female character whose life revolves to a large extent around her boyfriend. The girls of Teppu aren't in love with any guys and actually have the type of bodies that an MMA fighter would have. And the main character is 6 feet tall!

For Japan in particular it's an amazing accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Teek posted:

In any case, it's a nice refreshing change of pace to have realistic female characters in a manga.

It really is. I have a feeling Teppu might be one of the better sports oriented manga that's been written in the past several years, primarily because the characters seem really engaging and break a lot of stereotypes. Not only is the main character a tall, completely unsexualized girl, but she also has a "kinda dickish but super talented" personality that is in stark contrast to the "talent for...hard work!" cliche you usually see in shounen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chibi posted:

Just read this, and I can't stress enough how amazing the portrayal of women is in this. You never get to see women portrayed like this in manga, and it's just amazingly refreshing to see.

The sad thing is that I don't know if that's as much a good thing about Teppu as it is a really bad thing about the vast majority of other manga out there.

Does anyone have any idea what magazine Teppu is serialized in?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Guyver posted:

In good! Afternoon. The magazine is bi-monthly and Teppu's been running since gAfternoon started in '08 so there's only seven chapters.

Ah, thanks. The reason I was asking is that I was thinking other series offered in the same magazine might also be good since usually magazines carry a bunch of series with roughly the same demographic in mind.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mary Annette posted:

What sealed the deal for me is that other characters ALSO think Natsuo's a jerk. She's not "cool" or "misunderstood", and no one is buying her "god it sucks to be great at everything without really trying" bullshit because it is bullshit.

We might be in for a shonen sports manga where growing up means something more than "get Stronger™ to beat Rival™", and that would be awesome.

I also like the crazy eyes everyone gets just before clobberin time.

After the first two or three chapters she doesn't seem nearly as bad. She wants to beat eyebrows girl and presumably Ringi, but she's willing to work for it and is respectful towards other characters like Kontani (or whatever the name of that kinda butch Japanese MMA lady is).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, if you like this manga you might want to check out Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru. It does have some character cliches, but one nice "broken" cliche is that the main character starts out with gymnastics experience and is legitimately talented and in great shape. So sorta like Teppu you have a competent protagonist who isn't just some dumbass with a heart of gold and work ethic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I loved the gym chapter! I used to go to a Thai Boxing club and those training scenes really took me back. I quit because I realized I didn't have the "killer instinct" to take the sport seriously ( that is, hitting people made me feel uncomfortable ). Reading this makes me want to start going to a club again, just for the satisfyingly hard workout if nothing else! This must mean the author is doing a good job so I definitely recommend this manga. Besides, I enjoy rear end in a top hat protagonists :)

"I get some good sounds from you, too." Ha!

I agree. A lot of the training stuff reminded me of the warm-up exercises that we did back when I used to do Aiki-jujitsu (like aikido except more focused on the actual fighting aspects than the philosophy and stuff)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

L.E. Cheetah posted:

No, she definitely looks terrified. Somehow I don't think it's because he abuses her, but there's really no other way to read those facial expressions.

I don't know, to me it seems more like it's "awkwardness fear," and she's sweating/smiling because their relationship is really strained so there's a lot of pressure.

Could be either way though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Suben posted:

To get the spoiler stuff out of the way...

I don't know where people are getting that Natsuo is scared of her brother. I mean going by the flashback and that entire sequence when she sees him, especially this page, it's obvious that she's really nervous and sad over the fact their relationship is non-existant now and probably more than a little hostile on his end.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed that her lovely relationship with her brother is the main reason she has an equally lovely attitude when it comes to other people with her workaholic mother probably factoring into things as well. After all, why bother getting close to anyone when you're not even close to the ones you SHOULD be close to?

Really, strained relationships and trying to fix them seems like it's going to be a big theme in this series. You can see it crop up with Natsuo and Sanae (who used to be friends) and maybe a bit with Ringi and her father (since he seemed a bit more concerned with Yuzuko).

This is exactly my take on it.

When we find out for sure, we'll also find out which of us has asperger's or whatever that condition is where you can't read facial expressions correctly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

I can't wait until she starts dating :3:, though I guess the boy would have to be at least as strong as her to keep her interested.

Ugh, no. It would ruin this manga to have what is currently a cool, independent girl protagonist become preoccupied with a guy like every other female character in every other manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm no expert, but isn't therapy looked down on in Japan? Or maybe it was that mental illnesses like depression in such are considered fake and just an excuse to slack off so you just need to bootstrap harder, something like that, I dunno.

Yeah, it's looked down on a lot in Japan/Korea (maybe China also?). Which is why the Korean webcomic "Dr. Frost" is good/worthwhile. By itself it's just okay, but in the broader context of Korean society it's a really great thing that has probably lead to many people seeking help who wouldn't have otherwise.

• Locked thread