Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Wacom needs to stop the madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Rabbi Satan posted:

Quoted for the loving truth. Wacom's gotten too comfortable in their lofty perch, and they're no longer innovating or even *trying* (As far as I know) to come up with the Holy Grail of on-the-go digital painting and sketching - I.E. a portable Cintiq, with actual long battery life, capable of running photoshop, painter, or whatever.

I'm looking at other alternatives to the Cintiq, but having lived in Hong Kong, right next to China's doorstep (Technically part of the Mainland since 1997, but still...), I know all too loving well the "quality" of Chinese produced merchandise - particularly electronics. Yes, there will always be good people and rotten apples in cultures where they are either perceived as Good or Bad in terms manufacturing reliable goods. But Jesus, the stuff in China is loving abysmally bad. At least the Chinese brands anyway. Even though Apple, Wacom, and pretty much everything is made in China these days, they at least still have quality control within their factories. Even if they do use child labour and try to cut corners.

But my research has led me to this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/other-products/108927.html

There are very, very few reviews for it, and it looks somewhat too good to be true. It looks like the Holy Grail - but only problem is, if it is, how come I or the wider digital art community has never heard of it?
The price of displays has continued to drop. The viability of bluetooth for stylus technology has also improved over the years. I had a small non-Wacom LCD tablet monitor back in 2004 or so (it was a Panoview or something), and it had an Aiptek stylus with a battery. It was OK, although the stylus was heavy and required a lot of force to activate. Wacom's technology is patented, and to be fair, it is the best thing out there.

But the whole stylus-on-glass thing has simply reached its maximum potential, in my opinion. The nature of the technology is inherently limiting and requires software to simulate way too much. The diversity and sensitivity of artists' tools bears almost no resemblance to the pen-tablet experience. You can't hold the stylus in anything but a precision/writing grip, which is exactly the opposite of how you properly hold pencils or paintbrushes. The lack of texture, nuance, tactile feedback of any kind is pretty inhumane. As much as the technology appears to improve, it never gets any closer to solving these basic insufficiencies.

Personally I've just given up on pure digital as artistic medium. At this point I'd rather deal with natural media, pigments, surfaces which reflect light instead of emitting it -- and have original paintings to sell when all is said and done. After 10 years of trying to make all-digital work for me, it was 75% frustration and struggle and only 25% satisfaction.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Be careful which one you buy if you do buy it - Frenden is posting a lot on his blog lately about how there are two different generations of that model, one of which is great and the other of which is ganked. They have two different digitizers.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Look into Manga Studio 5! Especially if you're on a Mac. SAI is wonderful and is my sentimental favorite, but MS5 looks like it might be a real contender.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Noah posted:

My main concern is: Does a really nice iMac 21.5" make one of those nice new cintiq display tablets unnecessary or vice versa. Would getting a powerful laptop, and the Cintiq be the better idea? Or getting the iMac with an Intuos be more efficient?

Money is definitely a factor, but the gift will be a joint family kind of gift, so I'm expecting it in the 2-3 thousand range. Just wondering what item, or combination of items, will have the most utility for at home graphic design studio.

Thanks!

The ability to work directly on the screen is the most important thing. You can attach a Cintiq to anything and it improves the working experience. The computer it's attached to doesn't even need to be all that powerful. When the iMac is obsolete, the Cintiq will still be valuable because you will be able to hook it up to whatever, Mac or PC.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
You definitely need a large workspace. I have an older model which is on an Ergotron arm, but I don't believe the newer ones are light enough to be put on an arm. The newer Cintiqs have their own stands which have a large footprint.

An extra monitor is never a bad thing. Depending on where the design work is going, you may have to work a bit to calibrate the color of the Cintiq with another display.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah that sounds pretty good to me at least.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
No, they use a different radio frequency. Even the various generations of Intuos aren't cross-compatible. You might be able to get a differently-shaped stylus that works for your model, though...

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Bored posted:

Thank you so much for this list. That's not sarcasm, in case you're wondering. How true is color on the 21ux?
I've got the 21UX and the color is a tiny bit washed out. Not horrible, but not fantastic.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

kefkafloyd posted:

If you like painting or doing calligraphy where rotating the brush during the middle of the stroke is essential to the process, yes.

I'm just throwing out an idea; I have the art pen and find it very useful, but I like to do calligraphy and hand lettering.

I've been on the fence about getting one of the newer art pens. I had the older model and liked how chunky it was, but I've heard the new one doesn't keep the nib in place, so it can just spin around as you move the stylus.

If the nib can move freely, how do you make sure it's aligned correctly with the pen rotation? :confused:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I am convinced that all Cintiqs are color-hosed. I have used several models and the color on them is ALWAYS WRONG. :argh:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yup. Also, curse God every day.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

Inthreeos Pro phi.

I picked up an Asus EEE note a little bit ago. It's a really nice idea that never got the love and versioning it really needed. One of the cool things is that it doubles as a digitizer on Windows machines. It's the older bastard cousin of the Wacom Companion Hybrid. My only real complaint is that I haven't found a way to adjust the pressure curve to suit my style.
Oh yeah, I used to have one of those. Have you messed around with the software on it yet? There's a great little community for it here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus-eee-line/

It runs Linux and the software is Qt-based, so if you have Linux experience and C++ ability you can do all kinds of fun stuff.
Once you get the package manager running, if you want you can try the drawing app I jury-rigged for it: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus-eee-line/47605-neeeondraw-modified-sketching-app-eeenote.html

The source code is there on the last page of that thread.

Here are some drawings I made with the program:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Neo Duckberg posted:

Am I dumb for replacing my broken Intuos4 with... An Intuos4?

Yes, you should replace it with an Intuos 3. :v:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

SexyBlindfold posted:

Hey, I won an Intuos5 on a contest, and it's been pretty sweet so far (at least when compared to my busted up Genius 8x6), but every once in a while and for no particular reason the drivers (all updated) seem to fart up and die, and then I have to either unplug it or restart my computer for it to work properly again (pen sensitivity, extra buttons, etc). Is this standard fare for wacom tablets?

As far as I know. I've had that problem with every Wacom product I've ever owned.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

MeKeV posted:

As someone that has only drawn with a mouse so far, would an old generation Fujitsu t730 for GB£250 bet a silly purchase at this point in time?

Actual spec would be 500gb, though that's hardly the deciding factor.

I don't know anything about the screen/digitiser quality, I just came across the offer and it got me wondering.

My main question mark is on the 2GB of ram, as someone who often works on large gimp files.

Main use is pretty-fying architectural images, colouring up technical CAD drawings and similar. Soft, but mostly straightish lines.

Am I best off long term just learning straight on a none screen wacom tablet rather than the fujitsu? For UK price comparison, a small current gen Intuous (bamboo rebrand) pen+touch is £75.

As a tablet PC owner I can tell you that the screen size can be very cramped. When you factor in all the software interface elements, as well as the decrease in accuracy near the edges of the screen, your real useful tablet screen area is about a 4x6" rectangle. That is good for doing very detailed touch-up work, but often uncomfortably small when working on large images.

For coloring/touch-up stuff, I don't think you'll have much difficulty using a non-screen tablet. The disconnect gets unacceptable when you're doing things like inking comics where, if you're not working directly on screen, you're making the same mark 25 times and hitting Undo until it's finally correct. But other than that type of unforgiving work, it doesn't take long to get used to the hand-eye disconnect after the first couple months of practice.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Don't get anything that isn't Wacom.*

*Except for external devices like the Monoprice/Huion/etc.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
When it comes to all-in-one tablets, there are a couple of non-Wacom systems out there (Ntrig, and whatever the heck is in the Dell Venue Pro), and they're all terrible.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
You might want to look into a Surface or other Windows based tablet, OneNote has a lot of features for people doing math. Like it can translate math handwriting to pretty equations, and it can do calculus.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

the_lion posted:

My Pro 2 had hardware issues, and got replaced with a Pro 3. Very happy.

However, using the Surface App to modify the N-Trig pen pressure to get it right requires you to change your login to a Microsoft account to install it from the Windows store.

Is there a way around that? Don't really want my login being my Microsoft account really.
I tried the App once, but it also doesn't appear to pick up the pen for me.

Microsoft is moving toward using the MS login for everything, not much you can do there.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Honestly the only way that working at a cintiq has ever been comfortable for me has been when I made a makeshift standing desk for it. But unfortunately I moved and don't have the same furniture anymore. :(

Working on it at a seated position is awkward and gets painful after a while.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

kefkafloyd posted:

I would suggest looking at an Ergotron sit-stand arm. Frown Town's got one there on their 27HD. You can clamp it on to any desk or table and position the cintiq any way you want and use it standing up or sitting down.

I use the regular LX arm on the DTK21 and position it like a drawing board in my lap and I find working on it that way to be quite good.

I have the LX arm but found it gets in the way of the bulge that sticks out the back of the unit. Maybe I should get the sit-stand arm instead... :confused:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I use mine mostly for 2d animation and digital painting, and in that case I want the screen to be tilted slightly away from me like a drafting table or animation desk. One issue I have is that Wacom styluses have these teeny weeny tips that don't really reflect how I use real pencils. When I draw I tend to use the side of the pencil most often, and rarely do I ever use the tip portion. The tilt responsiveness of the drivers is great, but it's still a weird, unnatural grip.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

kefkafloyd posted:

The old Inutos 3 era 6D Art pen was really good for this. It had a big fat chisel nib. I really liked it a lot. The current Art Pen is just a standard pen with fatter nibs (or skinny chisel nibs).

UGH I know, I have one of these and it was the best but it's not compatible with anything anymore. The new art pen is hardly a proper replacement.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, that sucks. I waited a full year to get my hands on a 21UX back in the day, they have some supply chain problems and the demand is the same regardless. :(

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I've been using felt nibs on my 21UX for four years or so and have not scratched the screen. The risk I believe is in getting a piece of grit stuck in the felt, not the nib itself scratching the screen.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
buy a roll of newsprint and some graphite pencils

Edit: But really, though, trying to learn how to draw for the first time using a tablet as your medium is generally not a great idea. For one thing, it keeps you tethered to your computer, which encourages drawing from photos and not from life. Drawing on a tablet is tough, and if you're just starting out you run the risk of improving more slowly than you would if you just buy a stack of paper and get going.

I speak from personal experience. I wasted about 5 good years of time when I could have been improving much faster, because I was wrestling with both basic draftsmanship AND the weirdness of digital drawing at the same time.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 29, 2015

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

windex posted:

Not trying to make you angrier, but the one I just got here in Japan is basically perfect. You have the worst luck of all time. :(

Bad cell phone unbox/install photos in my tiny not particularly super clean Tokyo apartment: http://imgur.com/a/sQLyQ

I spent a good 20 minutes looking for dead pixels on black/white.

My guess is that North America is stocked with the first revision of tablets, which they did have issues with. This one was manufactured in April 2015, per the warranty card. Is yours dated?

The sub-par units go to the gaijin. :911:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Well, Wacom's gone and changed their product naming system again! :supaburn:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Only the Pro supports the Pencil (for now) but the tracking and tilt etc. are all BETTER than a Wacom.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
The Intuos 3 is the best best best one. It's really durable. Get another one on eBay.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Corel Painter has a new fluid dynamics engine for watercolor effects. It's very good, but it's also complicated. It's so fiddly that I'd prefer to use real paint TBH.

FYI: I sell a watercolor brush kit for Photoshop (use discount code sagoon for $3 off). It doesn't do the fluid dynamics stuff that Rebelle or Painter does, but I'm still proud of what it can do. Because of the way it's designed, it doesn't use a ton of CPU cycles and so it runs fast on older computers even in high-resolution documents.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Teflon Don posted:

Use the grey spring nib

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yo

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
It's good but imperfect. It's very hard to go back to the Intuos style after using one because it's so much easier to make the marks where you want them, obviously. However, one of the big issues is ergonomics. Sitting in front of one, even when it's at an incline, can be rough on your back and drawing arm. I have an Ergotron arm and it's still pretty uncomfortable after long periods. As far as I know, the DPI is still about 100. That's OK, but not amazing. If you're accustomed to a Retina or 4K screen, it'll be a step down. Likewise, Cintiqs are notorious for having inconsistent color, so you might have to calibrate yours. The parallax of the glass thickness annoys some people because it creates a small offset between the cursor and the stylus tip.

I have the older 21UX which has a cool stand with a gimbal thingy in the center so you can rotate it around on its stand. I think the 22HD still has that one, but they removed it for the bigger 24/27 inch models. Are you looking at the one with the touchscreen? People say it doesn't work very well, but I haven't tried it.

All in all, I am glad I bought one. It was somewhat disappointing for a while because it's so expensive and yet still not quite perfect, but :shrug: oh well. It's paid for itself in the 5 or so years I've had it.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
But it's warm :3:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Get a used Intuos3 on eBay.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Short answer is not really.

Long answer is, there are various degrees of film texture that you can get. None of them are that rough because it compromises screen visibility too much. The roughest texture you can buy is still way smoother than the smoothest paper.

There is a company that will send you a sample envelope of all the textures of film they sell so you can try them out. I don't have the company name in front of me at the moment but I will post it later.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I have not owned either, but here is what I know from a technical specs standpoint:

Cintiq Companion:
- stylus supports tilt
- has hardware ExpressKeys
- crappy battery life
- textured screen surface
- very little sign of robust support on the part of the manufacturer. They have abandoned earlier models, so beware of that.
- very wide aspect ratio for the screen (more widescreen)

Surface Book:
- non Wacom stylus, so the cursor can lag when hovering. Still some issues with jittery lines when working very slowly and tightly.
- there have been some complaints about power/sleep issues and MS has been slow to fix them
- very slick screen
- detachable keyboard, but you can't use it when the screen is detached (it doesn't do wireless)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Want to hear something kind of gross? Almost all the "serious" artists I know/follow on social media are getting iPads Pro. :gay: