Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have a Cintiq 21x and whenever I am not near it, I want to cry. It is essentially the love of my life. To be fair though, I could do essentially the same work with my old Intuos 3. The biggest difference is I use "Undo" less and my digital inking is more accurate.

Oh, and it meant I could have a dual-screen setup (since I have a desktop computer), which vastly improved my canvas space. But you could still have that and an Intous 3 for less than a Cintiq.

Pick fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As a plug-in model, you can get a very useable Huion Kamvas 13 for $219, which is a bit above your budget but might be worth looking into or saving up for.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cheese Thief posted:

My Cintiq 16" has a crack in the glass. Was thinking about contacting Wacom and asking them to fix it. Has anyone done this?

I've gotten them repaired before and it's a pretty easy process, take photos and they'll give you a quote before you commit also to see if it's worth it. They repair them domestically and it's a fast turnaround.

In my opinion, a Cintiq is completely worth it--having tried a few other devices, I still think they're top of the pack. The surface of the new Cintiqs is a dream to work on, the anti-glare is fantastic, and the resolution is absurd. Virtually zero parallax. I wouldn't consider anything else a bargain; they compromise on the things that make it comfortable and easy to work.

e: To clarify, I feel like the previous two generations of Cintiq really brought the name down quite a bit. There were a few models known for breaking, and they were light and better than the other tablets, but not by such an extent that it justified the price. It felt much more household-artist oriented, which made sense but I think made it harder to differentiate themselves. And I feel Wacom took a cold hard look and told their engineers the newest line had to loving blow poo poo out of the water or they were toast. Luckily, the new line blows poo poo out of the water. The current Cintiqs feel like a loving cadillac, and weigh about as much. (42 lbs!)

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 14, 2021