Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Anyone else getting interested in the Asus EEE Slate EP121? The battery life is only 3.5 hours and it's expensive, but it seems like it would be great for digital art as it's a lightweight tablet but with Wacom digitizer and stylus and full Windows 7 for about the cost of a Cintiq of the same size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZyTpLYGNyk&feature=player_embedded
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Slate-EP121-1A011M-12-1-Inch-Tablet/dp/B004HKIIF8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
You could also probably get a used Graphire 2 or 3 for like $20.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Atarian posted:

I missed the first shipment of ep121's. I was really hoping that my order on the 8th would get me in. Now it's expected around Feb 22. This is torture.

*edit*
Just got bumped up. Expected delivery is Feb 8th!

I am quite jealous of you for that. I ordered mine on the 17th, so I will probably get it in late February if I'm lucky. I am really excited though, and I think it'll be worth the wait.

If anyone is curious about the digital art capabilities of the ep121, this guy put up a few videos comparing it to a cintiq, and one showing the indoor/outdoor display brightness. It looks like it won't disappoint.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Illztothathrillz#p/a/u/0/EeUq3rFfnxg

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
If anyone is still interested in the Asus ep121 tablet, the Microsoft store has reduced the price to $950 plus tax. It's expected to ship around 03/07/11.

Edit: Dead, nevermind.

MY ABACUS! fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 19, 2011

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I have been using the ASUS ep121 slate for about six months now. I'm mostly satisfied, but there are some problems. The battery life is terrible, and I had to RMA for a fan problem. Otherwise it's great. I think the Samsung Series 7 slate will be the best option when it's released. http://www.umpcportal.com/2011/09/samsung-series-7-tablet-hands-on-video/

I don't understand why people pay the absurd amount of money for a Cintiq, unless their employer is footing the bill. I know it's got more pressure sensitivity, but it's ridiculous how much they cost. Hopefully advancements in smartphones and tablets will create a more competitive atmosphere for pressure sensitive touch screen technology.

MY ABACUS! fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 6, 2011

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I'm sure you're right about the quality difference. I guess what I was thinking was more like what would happen if Apple suddenly decided they wanted a pressure sensitive stylus on iPads or Macbook screens. I think then the tides would shift a bit.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

anal butt posted:

Is there any site that sells just the pen stand that holds all the different tips? I lost that thing

Have you tried jamming it into a ball of kneaded rubber eraser?

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
You put it on that desk? You might as well have a pile of milk crates for a workstation.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Bored posted:

There's this, which is supposedly pretty good, even though you wouldn't be able to use the pressure sensitive stylus in photoshop with it.

I am sure there's a way to get the Surface Pro's digitizer to play nice with Photoshop. Pretty much every tablet with a Wacom digitizer seems to have driver woes out the rear end until you find just the right version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I just dug out my Intuos3 stylus only to find that the rubber on the top half toward the eraser is decaying and becoming sticky. I searched around a bit, but the only thing people had to say was wrap tape around it. Anyone have a better idea of how to clean it or something?