Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Atarian posted:

I preordered this 2 days ago. It is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm willing to sacrifice the levels of sensitivity for the form factor and power this thing has. Can't wait to get it.

This looks extremely promising. Please keep us posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I have a Wacom rep coming to my school to show off the new Cintiq and demo a thing or two.

You guys have any questions you would like me to ask?

I kinda wish I could easily sell my Cintiq 12WX for the newest 21UX they will be showing off. No trade-in program that I know of.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

The rep just left. He said there MAY be a 15 inch Cintiq in the future. He acknowledged the problems with the breakout box in the 12WX version. Specifically, having a breakout box is stupid. I pointed out it was even more stupid to have a separate box with no additional DVI splitter.

I gotta say: The new 21 inch Cintiq is amazing. I really like the strips on the back now. Used to always brush across those strips accidently and by having them on the back, it really fixes that.
More buttons and greater sensitivity, really make it amazing.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

WTF is a 9mm? Or were you talking about a gun?

Bamboos are the first to have touch screens and the Wacom guy said we would probably see those touch screens in the next gen of Intuos tablets.

Considering what the Cintiq's cost, I feel like they should already be in at least those higher end models. I think they are testing it out with the lower end models.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

HardCoil posted:

Could you link to those?

Yeah - I am really curious about this too.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

neonnoodle posted:

Lazy Nezumi

This is a standalone tool which makes your mouse/tablet into a kind of towing rope for the cursor. It's great for drawing smooth curves in programs like PS where there is no averaging or smoothing.

I can't make this work in Photoshop at school. Will try it at home. Great idea!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Alchemy = fun and free
http://al.chemy.org/

Lazy Nezumi is great but too buggy to use. At least in CS4.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 17, 2011

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Though I love my cintiq 12wx, I very much want to upgrade to the new 21 inch cintiq. If anyone is interested in a (slightly) used 12wx, please PM me. I am in Los Angeles but I am willing to ship most places. Wanted to ask you guys before attempting ebay.

(Feel free to PM me about details)

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 16, 2011

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Actually I have found that the Wacom Intuos 4 stylus does work with the Cintiq. Not sure about any other ones however. I am pretty sure the intuos 3's do not work.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I have never had any color problems but my tablet will flash "out of sync" easily. This is because I am running a non powered video splitter however, so I don't think it always gets the signal strength it needs and then I need to restart etc.

Does anyone know of any vendor that sells 21 inch cintiqs that aren't back ordered? Seems like they are out of stock almost everywhere and where they aren't there is a sizeable markup.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 13, 2011

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Jesus . . . Amazon is $200 less than my local vendor (Mac Hollywood) for the 21 inch cintiq but there is a 2-4 month wait for shipping! :bang:

Might as well just go ahead and pay the extra just to be able to go pick it up in person when it arrives.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Halx posted:

Wacom has facing supply shortages for key components related to the screen for a while now. Unfortunately these have have been exacerbated recently by the Japan earthquake.

That's true. Mac Hollywood said exactly the same thing. Waiting on parts due to the Japan disaster, yadda, yadda. Sounds like I should just save the 200$ and order on Amazon, knowing that the wait will probably be about the same regardless.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

drat it. How long before we have multitouch Wacom's and at what (ridiculous) price point?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/12/wacom-cintiq-21ux-multitouch-tablet-caught-in-the-wilderness-of/

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

This brings up a very interesting question for me.

I am in the market to buy a new cintiq ORRR or tablet PC / android tablet.

The new cintiq 21 is around 2k. For that money I can get a pretty good tablet PC or a drat GOOD android tablet.

The haggling point for me is whether it is more important as a portable device for on the go sketching / surfing. The android should be fine for this. Or, will I be using it more zbrush / maya 3d apps etc. in which case the cintiq would be more appropriate (and more expensive!). There is also the strong possibility that there will be a new multitouch 15inch cintiq around the corner.

My friend's Asus tablet PC also seems to handle 2d well and 3d OK, despite being an intel GPU. His tablet is a little over 1k but pretty adequate for both 2d and 3d.

So . . . up to $500 for an android honeycomb tablet with sketchbook . . . or $1k or more for the auss tabletPC . . . or $2k for the cintiq, unless I want to wait for the new version.

What do you guys think?

Honestly, I am just considering an inkling to hold me over until the new cintiq comes out. $200 preicepoint is pretty great for what it is. No one seems to have a release date and amazon is already backordered.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah, I really wish Wacom had at least one serious comepetitor!! No serious artist buys any other tablets other than Wacom.

paberu: I had a Cintiq 12 UX but ended up selling it because it wasn't as portable as I wanted and honestly, the 21 version is better for a number of reasons. Also - I am very, very curious about the pricepoint for the new 15 inch multitouch model they have coming out soon.

My friend has the ASUS ep121 and has been trying to convince me to buy that over the cintiq. I have been arguing that the Asus doesn't have an nvidia GPU and the i5 isn't powerful enough for 3d. However, I have used it at his place, and I admit for 2d stuff there doesn't seem to be any lag.

So again my options are:

Android tablet (that Samsung looks cool!) = cheapest and most portable for on the go sketching.

Asus tablet = costs as much as a laptop @ around 1000$ but has the tablet built in.
Cons include battery life and relatively crappy specs.

Cintiq = I want the 21 inch but @ around 2000$ I am willing to wait on the new model for hopefully a better price point.

EDIT: The Asus doesn't appear to have a wacom digitizer.
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/
Which android tablets have Wacom digitizers? Any of them?
Does anyone know where I can find a list of Wacom enabled devices?
The thing is, I already have a pretty powerful laptop and wireless intuos 4. This means that getting a tablet for on the go sketching seems silly until my laptop breaks or just gets too old.

The inkling is also a GREAT (cost effective!) solution for on the go stuff until I can afford the cintiq or the new one comes out.
I am VERY hesitant to buy ANY portable device with a stylus unless it is a Wacom digitizer.

People tell me (including my friend with the Asus) that specs don't matter as much any more because and i5 with an Intel GPU is plenty for 2d apps. I am still really picky though and would rather have a wacom digitizer AND decent specs in my portable device. I want to sculpt in 3d on the go too!!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 7, 2011

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

paberu posted:

The EP121 has a wacom digitizer ;) (I have one). It's great for being able to sketch in SB pro on a plane, on a couch etc. I wouldn't use it to do any production work however given the choice. It runs Zbrush ok, and is quite useable for rough work (one of my friends sculpts on it while watching tv).

The 12UX is quite small and for the price isn't really worth it - even given that you can run it off a powerfull computer you still are limited by the size to do more rough work, at which point the ep121 makes more sense given it's portability. EP121 over Cintiq 12 anyday.

For 2D the EP121 is pleanty, SB pro and Sai run really well on it. Photoshop is useable too but it's interface on a tablet can't compare to SB pro.

I didn't know there is a 15" cintiq coming out :S, I thought only the 24" was the new revision...

Also I can't see the point in inkling, get a nice scanner and pocket the change.

Do any of the cintiqs EVER have a price drop? As far as I know, neither of the older models have dropped since the new one came out.

I have a scanner but honestly it saves a LOT of time to use the inkling. However most of my sketchbook drawings are in pencil sooooo . . . I am rethinking the idea of getting one.

At this point my laptop still works pretty well, so dropping a grand or more on the Asus seems counterproductive. I still badly want the 21 inch cintiq but I was really hoping the new one would drive down the price a little. Frankly I don't think the new one is all worth the upgrade. When did HD become a selling point for Wacom? :rolleyes:

What is Sai? Never heard of it.

Good to see you posting to the drawing thread BTW.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Arrowsmith posted:

sigma 6, or anyone else with the Intuos4 Bluetooth:

I recently picked up a sealed, new-in-box I4 BT (@ US$399) to replace a stolen Intuos 4 Small. It's still in the box because I can't return it if I open it up and don't like it. Is there anything performance- and usability-wise about the wireless version that will make me wish I got the wired I4 M instead?

I have no problem justifying the higher cost of the wireless version, so price-differential is of no concern at all. The only potential issues I can think of would be choppy or lagged input, especially because I am also using a BT keyboard, mouse, and trackpad which might interfere with one another.

I also liked using the mouse that came with my I4S, most of all the fact that it didn't need batteries and was one less peripheral eating up BT "channels"/"spectrum"/whatever-the-proper-term-is. I'm assuming I could get one of those at some point down the road (as I can't really get anything mail-ordered at the moment, which is why I'm paying full retail for the I4 BT in the first place)?

To anyone who has used both wired and wireless I4s, I'd be most appreciative for you sharing your experience and/or opinions on this. Thank you!

I can't say I am impressed with the bluetooth. The pairing doesn't always work well and I have to go back and re-pair the device a lot. Even though windows sees the device it can be unresponsive. I then have to go and remove and re-add the bluetooth device and it works again. On top of this, I find the wireless aspect of this is iffy - giving me stuttering / dropping when trying to draw. When plugged in, it seems fine however.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

If anyone is looking to buy a Cintiq 24HD, I'd recommend Studica over Tekserve. Tekserve, despite having "free shipping" listed on their site, will actually charge you $175 or so for freight shipping. Studica is the cheapest UPS ground shipper out there - I spent $42 on signature confirmation delivery and it came super quick, too (it was 7 day ground and I got it in 3).

Studica is great. I live in LA though, so I am going to try Mac Hollywood. A wacom rep told me they are pretty well stocked. Just trying to decide between the 24HD and the 21UX . . . the refurb 21UX was $1800 but I am wary of buying used hardware. Still 1800 vs 2100 vs 2500 is a huge difference.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Mac Hollywood. It is $2200 for the 21 inch and $2600 for the 24HD. No refurbs in stock.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 17, 2012

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Beanpants posted:

I bought my brand new 21UX off of amazon around the holidays for $1999, but it looks like they're out of stock from amazon themselves and only have it from other sellers for at least $300 more than that. If you can bite the bullet, it is worth it though. It's changed my life completely in the short time I've had it. You might have extra luck by searching by their actual model numbers as opposed to just the shorthand "21 UX" and "24 HD" names they ship under. When I was shopping around, it didn't show up on amazon as a 21UX, but rather the Wacom DTK-2100, and it was down quite a bit in the search results below other sellers.

I tried both the 21 and the 24 before buying, and honestly the 24 isn't worth the extra cost. Widescreen doesn't mean poo poo to me as far as drawing goes, and losing the ability to manually rotate the screen is a big knock against it. I know they're going to phase out the 21's, but if you can get one, that's what I'd go for on both price and performance.

I bought an ergonomic arm in preparation for the cintiq. This one.

I believe it is the right one, but my friend tells me that it may not be strong enough. He has the same one and claims the cintiq is a little too heavy for it.
I bought it because of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJZlLF3chxo

Thank you for the advice!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Well, that's depressing. I wasn't planning on sending back the ergotron but now I have to give this more thought. Sounds like my friend was absolutely right. I was hoping to be able to use the cintiq standing or sitting. I have a standing workstation setup right now, so I was just going to clamp the ergotron to the high platform my other monitors are on and paint on it like an easel.

Sounds like it won't be able to hold itself in mid air. Crap. That is a big let down. That you tube video I posted shows the cintiq being held fairly high up before he brings it down to the desk and lap.

WTF?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 3, 2012

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

neonnoodle posted:

:words:

That really sucks. The whole point of the arm is so that you wouldn't have to have support underneath the thing. I assumed I would be able to use it standing or sitting when I bought the ergotron.

Just sent an email to a wacom rep asking about any newer cintiq models coming out or more portable wacom devices. Also - why doesn't the inkling seem to work as advertised?!? The reviews are dismal.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

neonnoodle posted:

Yes, I had also hoped to use the Cintiq standing, as I also have a standing desk. You can put some supports under the screen at standing height, like a cardboard box, and thus it doesn't sink down when it's raised up.

Artist rendering

This pic is not true if you have the ergatron LX arm. I am incredibly happy with my ergatron arm and I can raise or lower it to standing or sitting position. It can rotate freely on just about any axis and extends pretty far. I was afraid that the weight would be too much for it but as long as you find the right screws to tighten, you can really pose the arm any way you want. Amazing to be able to spin my cintiq 360 degrees and extend it several feet up or down.

Best purchase I have made in years!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Yup. That's it. Section 7 page 6. That was the pain in the butt screw to find but once you find it, you can make sure the arm doesn't sink with the weight of the cintiq.

VVV I have the same one. The screw is INSIDE the arm closest to the cintiq. You need to tighten it quite a bit to hold the weight of the cintiq. VVV

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 15, 2012

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

neonnoodle posted:

Wacom needs to stop the madness

QFT. For too long they have had a monopoly and their prices reflect that.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

neonnoodle posted:

The price of displays has continued to drop. The viability of bluetooth for stylus technology has also improved over the years. I had a small non-Wacom LCD tablet monitor back in 2004 or so (it was a Panoview or something), and it had an Aiptek stylus with a battery. It was OK, although the stylus was heavy and required a lot of force to activate. Wacom's technology is patented, and to be fair, it is the best thing out there.

But the whole stylus-on-glass thing has simply reached its maximum potential, in my opinion. The nature of the technology is inherently limiting and requires software to simulate way too much. The diversity and sensitivity of artists' tools bears almost no resemblance to the pen-tablet experience. You can't hold the stylus in anything but a precision/writing grip, which is exactly the opposite of how you properly hold pencils or paintbrushes. The lack of texture, nuance, tactile feedback of any kind is pretty inhumane. As much as the technology appears to improve, it never gets any closer to solving these basic insufficiencies.

Personally I've just given up on pure digital as artistic medium. At this point I'd rather deal with natural media, pigments, surfaces which reflect light instead of emitting it -- and have original paintings to sell when all is said and done. After 10 years of trying to make all-digital work for me, it was 75% frustration and struggle and only 25% satisfaction.

I agree about the original paintings part. Having a solid piece of canvas / wood / et al. will never be replaced by a photoshop file.

However there are people who pull off digital paintings, print them on canvas, and display them in fine art galleries. This is happening more and more I think.

Personally, I have been interested in combining digital with traditional as much as possible. Make photoshop painting, print it out, transfer it to wood with wintergreen oil or something similar and then paint acrylic or watercolor over that. Conversely, lots of people draw on paper first, scan and then augment in photoshop. Digital illustrators often start this way and finally switch to 100% digital.

There are pros and cons to each. Figuring out how best to combine them is the hard part.

As for Wacom. I own wacom products and love them and agree they are the standard. Do they need to be so expensive? gently caress no. You are paying for the industry standard. You get what you pay for. As far as I know, nobody makes BETTER tablets than wacom but I am really happy to finally see some viable competition with monoprice.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Listerine posted:

One of the springs on my cintiq stand is hosed, and now I can't lower the tablet from vertical. Does anyone have any experience with getting a stand repaired, and are there any OEM replacement products that I should look into?

Don't get a stand. Seriously. Get an eragtron arm. It goes with the cintiq like PBJ. I love mine and they are completely adjustable.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Halx posted:

I use this with an older Cintiq:
http://www.amazon.com/HP-BT861AT-Single-Monitor-Arm/dp/B00455GH58

It is exactly the same as the Ergotron LX, but the finish is all black instead of black and chrome. (compare to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00358RIRC)

The top part of the clamp is covered in that dense foam rubber padding so it won't hurt the surface. The part of the clamp that contacts the underside of the table is a metal plate which might make some marks, but only where you can't see.

That's the one. drat. Kind of wish I knew about the cheaper, generic black one when I bought mine.

Does anyone know which arms work with the new cintiqs?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Mentioned this in the 3d thread but didn't get much of a response:

I am interested in the best slate/tablet or highend laptop for sculpting zbrush on the go and am struggling with the issue of portability vs. power. Wanted to know who here sculpts and/or paints on a mobile computer and what do they recommend?

Are PC slates good enough to use zbrush / photoshop without too much lag at medium to high resolution?

The samsung slates seem really nice but I am very tempted to just go ahead and get nice Asus highend laptop with a monoprice tablet vs. the samsung.

Alternatively, maybe get the laptop for 3d and find a decent android tablet for life drawing stuff etc.

What do you guys think?

Is the wacom digitizer really THAT important anymore?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a tablet for 3d work?

Preferrably one which has the Haswell chip and preferrably not an I5.

I have been looking at:

Thinkpad X230T
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thinkpad-x230t-review-benchmark,3229.html

Samsung ATIV
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/XE700T1C-A04US

Or maybe a Fujitsu or Asus transformer?

Wacom is working on its own version of a tablet but I haven't seen any news on it.

I don't really want a Surface Pro and I am not sure I can wait for Lenovo to refresh their X230T with Haswell.

What is the best option for a cintiq on the go? Wait . . . or pull the trigger on the X230T or maybe the Samsung slate? Do you guys have strong feelings about transformers vs. tablets? At this point, a stronger transformer appeals over a weaker slate for zbrush etc.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Main reason is that the Surface Pro only has an I5 in it and the X230T I can outfit with an I7 and up to 16 gigs of ram. This makes a HUGE difference for Zbrush and probably Photoshop too.

The Lenovo Helix or the Samsung Slates are really nice too but are pricier and most of the slates are I5s.

I think it will take a few months before Haswell CPUs really start showing up in tablets and Wacom is being really quiet about the specs for their PC tablet.

Why would I pick a lower performing Surface Pro, which is already aging compared to some of the Lenovo products and the Asus transformers?

EDIT:

Here is a pretty good review on the Autodesk website:
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/pointsnap/lenovo-thinkpad-x230t-review

BOTH the X230T and the Helix have Wacom digitizers. Helix is supposed to go to 2k levels of sensitivity, but the drivers don't work properly and therefore neither the Helix nor the Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro have pressure sensitivity!! Seems like kind of a deal breaker to me. However, the X230T doesn't have that problem, despite being a little older.

Anyone have an opinion on the "S Pens" that Samsung features? Seems like that also has 2k levels of sensitivity, but I don't know if they have driver issues like the Helix or Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 25, 2013

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

The Lenovo Helix looks like a better alternative to the X230T because it is newer tech and doesn't have the same display resolution issue.

I was just hoping to finally get a portable digital sketchpad which will be strong enough to work in 3d, or at least sculpt in zbrush.

Not sure if I will be able to wait the 2-3 months it might take for the Haswell chips to be common in these tablets. May not be financially possible in the next month or two.

Alternatively, I can get a monoprice tablet with a really powerful laptop for the same price but then I sacrifice portability and drawing on the screen.

Portable tablet vs. portable workstation.

I already have a cintiq 21ux at home so this is for on the go. I am looking for a portable cintiq but ideally something more powerful than a I5.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 25, 2013

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

ACanofPepsi posted:

It makes a bit of a difference to give Zbrush the full 4GB it is capable of using, while the rest of your OS is 64-bit using the rest of the 6/8GB RAM a laptop would have. Going 64-bit would probably be a game-changer though.

I am buying it with the future in mind. Zbrush 5 is supposed to be 64bit.

The Helix is 8gigs but I wish it was more or at least upgradeable.

The Cons:
No buttons on tablet! (this was one of the better parts of the X230T)
Very glossy screen (not sure about this outside etc.)
Weird hinge and flap which will mean more moving parts = more chance to break.
Intel GPU
Wacom driver issues (??)
Expensive

The Pros:
2k wacom digitizer / IPS screen
I7 and 8gigs of ram in tablet/laptop hybrid
"Rip and flip" modes of display.
Battery life

There really are more cons than pros but the Helix is still one of the best options out there and so far the reviews on amazon are pretty good.

I am really curious to see what the Surface Pro 2 will be like as well as Wacom's tablet/laptop hybrid. The wait is killing me.

Oh man. . .
Didn't realize there were so many touch sensitive tablets on the market!

Samsung ATIV XE700T1C-A01US Smart PC Pro 700T
(successor to slate 7)

ASUS Taichi 21-DH71
(2 screens!)

ASUS Transformer Book TX300CA-DH71

Anyone know where I can find a good list of tablets which have Wacom digitizers?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 27, 2013

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Good advice and makes the argument for a tablet a lot more valid. Up until now, those devices made no sense to me.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

If she likes to paint, get her the art pen, which supports rotation.

Is that any cintiq?

Just wondering if it is worth it for the 21UX. As far as I know, some of the brushes in photoshop will detect the angle you are drawing with and adapt. This may only be CS6 however. Not sure.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Is this the pen you are referring to?

Is it really that useful?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Saw this at SIGGRAPH 2013.

Pretty freakin cool.

Black Ink.

Never seen custom brush manipulation like that before. Very cool for quick concept painting stuff.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks Turnways.

Do you think it is worth almost twice what the surface pro costs?

Sounds like I should opt for the cintiq companion if I want to use zbrush. The surface isn't as strong, right?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I am really struggling between the Surface 2 pro vs. the Cintiq Companion.

As far as I can tell:

Surface 2 pro = fold out keyboard, small, I5, wacom digitizer = a little less than 1k.
Cintiq Companion = no keyboard, bigger, I7, wacom digitizer = around 2k.

Is having an I7, and a little more screen size really worth an additional 1k? (No keyboard either!)

Discuss.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks guys. Looks like I will be avoiding the Cintiq Companion and opting for a Surface 2 Pro.

The zbrush / icon size issue should be solvable by using shift + M to activate the magnifier function. Looking forward to finally sculpting / painting on the go.

The fact that the Surface Pro is half the price of the Cintiq Companion is some kind of joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thank you. That's good to know. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I am glad people are finally making tablets with artists in mind. I mean... vs. business professionals, or whoever the hell they were targeted at when they first came out. Never did understand the logic of a powerful all in one tablet with no wacom digitizer or equivalent. Although, admittedly, the Yoga is pretty cool.