Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Nate Silver did a thing on the distribution of fans across different sporting leagues.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-distribution-of-fandom-in-pro-leagues/

I find some of it flawed when thinking about the premier league but it does make a good point that there is no middle class in football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Fists Up posted:

Nate Silver did a thing on the distribution of fans across different sporting leagues.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-distribution-of-fandom-in-pro-leagues/

I find some of it flawed when thinking about the premier league but it does make a good point that there is no middle class in football.

That was more pointless stat wankery and the busting out of the gini coefficient just took the piss. loving hell, that article.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

No you see Google searches are like a sports team's currency, furthermore

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10

St Evan Echoes posted:

No you see Google searches are like a sports team's currency, furthermore

\

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Nate Silver, 2010 posted:

Did you know that labour are hosed and future elections will be between the tories and lib-dems?

Is Ritchie King the climate change denier?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Why are they using Google and not Twitter?

Someone give me a PhD in stats and a six figure job please

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Strawman posted:

Is Ritchie King the climate change denier?

He is. He's also a real twat in real life.

I was at a conference that had him and Richard Littlejohn on the same panel, and I swear the smugness that came off the two was overpowering.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

BeIn Sports (aka Qatar Sports Investments) is on a global crusade to own all of the football: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/03/psg-world-cup-football-tv-rights-qatar

quote:

The trajectory blazed by PSG since the club was bought in April 2011 by Qatar Sports Investments, an arm of the $115bn Qatar Investment Authority that has stakes in a global portfolio that stretches from Credit Suisse to the owner of Heathrow airport, is even steeper than those other grand projects at Stamford Bridge and Manchester City's Etihad Stadium.

The high-profile Qatari spending spree has been well-documented. But the parallel attempt to invest hundreds of millions of pounds in a global network of TV channels is also key to its ambitions. The same man, the suave Khelaifi, oversees both the PSG project and the global suite of sports channels.

As with PSG, it is in France where its impact has been felt most keenly, sparking a bitter battle with the incumbent Canal Plus that has parallels with the fierce bidding war for top-flight football between Sky and BT in the UK.

Arriving on the scene in France in 2012, a year after the PSG acquisition, the rebranded al-Jazeera Sport surprised Canal Plus with a clever bidding strategy. It left it with eight of the 10 weekly Ligue 1 games – albeit not the first-choice matches – for a third of the price paid by its rival. Between them, the two broadcasters pay a total of €607m over the course of the three-year deal. BeIn Sports subsequently landed Champions League rights, prompting a competition complaint to regulators from Canal Plus, the establishment player that believed the brash newcomer was being run at an uncompetitive loss. The BeIn Sports channels massively undercut the existing player but it insists it has long‑term ambitions to become profitable – the rhetoric is not unlike that surrounding PSG.

To take advantage of the rivalry, the Ligue de Football Professionnel, the body that runs the French league, has brought forward the auction for its 2016 to 2020 rights – prompting another complaint to regulators from Canal Plus.

If the two auctions go BeIn Sports' way, it would strengthen Qatar's grip on French sport, as owner of the biggest club in the country and of the most influential sports broadcaster.

When Sky attempted a similar strategy in England, launching a bid for Manchester United, it was stymied by a fan backlash and competition regulators. In France, they have been largely ushered in with open arms.

BeIn Sports also launched aggressively into the US, using the rights for the Spanish and Italian leagues to put it on the map. In Canada, it has jumped through complex regulatory hoops to acquire a Canadian subsidiary and satisfy licence conditions.

It has also launched operations in Hong Kong and Indonesia. During the last Premier League rights auction it thought carefully about entering the £3.1bn battle between Sky and BT before concluding there was better value, and potentially more leverage, to be found elsewhere.

That could yet change, with the Premier League also considering launching an early auction to take advantage of the likely competition.

Rumours persist that BeIn Sports could take a substantial stake in Silvio Berlusconi's Mediaset, which would give it a foothold not only in Italy but also in Spain, where Mediaset owns 41% of the broadcaster that has the rights to the games played by the national side.

Sports broadcasting insiders believe that its ambitions are limitless and that it is engaged in a race with Fox International and, to a lesser extent, Discovery, to establish a network of sports channels around the world to rival ESPN and Star Sports.

"They are voracious with their ambition and they have all the money in the world to match it. There is nothing they can't do," said one. "What drives it is their need to be one of the top five broadcasters in the world by 2022."

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

greazeball posted:

BeIn Sports (aka Qatar Sports Investments) is on a global crusade to own all of the football: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/03/psg-world-cup-football-tv-rights-qatar

to be fair if they go via the NBC model I'm not going to complain

also gently caress Murdoch he represents everything wrong with modern media

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

quote:

the establishment player that believed the brash newcomer was being run at an uncompetitive loss. The BeIn Sports channels massively undercut the existing player but it insists it has long‑term ambitions to become profitable – the rhetoric is not unlike that surrounding PSG.

Ah yes the Wal-Mart strategy of undercutting all the local competition then raising prices when you have a monopoly.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Peanut President posted:

Ah yes the Wal-Mart strategy of undercutting all the local competition then raising prices when you have a monopoly.
In less than a year BeIn helped annihilate the two major football-centric channels in the United States: GOL TV (English) and Fox Soccer Channel, which had been around for fifteen years.

At the end, Fox Soccer Channel was so bereft of programming that they didn't even get a sign-off; Fox just decided that 6:00 a.m. on their last day programming would change from whatever it was they had left to reruns of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (the channel was being changed into FXX).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Other than the announcers, which are a problem on any American football show, beIn has some quality coverage. I just wish they'd straighten out their online rights and do the thing that NBC does with the Prem streaming wise because that is really fantastic.

e: It was annouying as poo poo for the half season or so that I didn't have the loving channel though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wish BeIn would improve their coverage of the non-Spanish leagues, but I suppose that's to be expected. At least La Liga is actually really fun to watch this year.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:siren: Season ticket boycott is on :siren:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26995469

quote:

Dave King: Rangers board have acted in bad faith

By Richard Wilson
BBC Scotland
Dave King has urged Rangers fans not to buy season tickets and has accused the board of an "extreme act of bad faith".
The former Ibrox director is upset the club have asked fans to renew their season tickets before the completion of a review of the business's operations.
King will set up a bank account for fans to pay their renewal money into and act as custodian alongside former Rangers captain Richard Gough.

Rather than give your club the money for your season ticket you should pay it into a fund controlled by someone just convicted of fraud, who will give it to the club when they give him security over the stadium. The club will still agree to let you in to games because ........

It's impossible for a listed company to give security over their main asset to some random malcontent :ssh:

If the fans take this up in any great numbers it will almost certainly lead to

admin 2 - rangers 3

quote:

Rangers' recent finances
Club posted a £14m loss for 13 months to June 2013
Interim results revealed £3.5m loss for six months to December
Loans of £1.5m agreed with directors for working capital
Season ticket prices increased up to 25% for season 2014-15

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I wish BeIn would improve their coverage of the non-Spanish leagues, but I suppose that's to be expected. At least La Liga is actually really fun to watch this year.

The Serie A coverage isn't terrible, just pray that RM or Barcelona aren't playing in anything remotely important at the same time as the Serie A games. I mean it's not great but it's better than nothing, and it's in HD.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

jre posted:

:siren: Season ticket boycott is on :siren:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26995469

Rather than give your club the money for your season ticket you should pay it into a fund controlled by someone just convicted of fraud, who will give it to the club when they give him security over the stadium. The club will still agree to let you in to games because ........

It's impossible for a listed company to give security over their main asset to some random malcontent :ssh:

If the fans take this up in any great numbers it will almost certainly lead to

admin 2 - rangers 3

I say this every time Rangers are mentioned, but it's never not incredible that they are going bankrupt again while getting 50,000 attendances and only having to beat literal amateur and semi-pro teams.

It's one thing going bankrupt competing to get into Europe, it's another to go bankrupt against teams for who the criteria for getting a game is "has two legs and is willing to live in Brechin".

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I say this every time Rangers are mentioned, but it's never not incredible that they are going bankrupt again while getting 50,000 attendances and only having to beat literal amateur and semi-pro teams.

It's one thing going bankrupt competing to get into Europe, it's another to go bankrupt against teams for who the criteria for getting a game is "has two legs and is willing to live in Brechin".

When you're being run by actual gangsters and people whose idea of a good business plan is "repeat the 'for every fiver Celtic spend, we will spend ten' model that got Oldco Rangers bankrupt in the first place", it's not that hard to imagine.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

When you're being run by actual gangsters and people whose idea of a good business plan is "repeat the 'for every fiver Celtic spend, we will spend ten' model that got Oldco Rangers bankrupt in the first place", it's not that hard to imagine.
The average Rangers fan is even thicker than the average football fan, so they can keep getting away with it too.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm a newbie to finances of football, but I've seen Rangers mentioned a lot in here, both an English side and a Scottish one (I think). It feels like both have been loving up mightily, but how hosed are each compared to a normal side?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Great White Hope posted:

I'm a newbie to finances of football, but I've seen Rangers mentioned a lot in here, both an English side and a Scottish one (I think). It feels like both have been loving up mightily, but how hosed are each compared to a normal side?

Queens Park Rangers are an English side and they're more hosed than most premier league teams.

Rangers are a Scottish side and they're probably in the worst financial shape of any team in the world.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Great White Hope posted:

QPR, the English side, are probably pretty hosed but they at least have a legitimate businessman in charge and they might even get promoted this year, so they'll possibly be fine.

Glasgow Rangers are run by crooks and have at least the second highest outgoings of any team in Scotland despite being in their third tier. They are properly hosed.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Just for added confusion there is also a Scottish team called Queens Park but I don't know anything about their financial situation

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Blue Screen Error posted:

Just for added confusion there is also a Scottish team called Queens Park but I don't know anything about their financial situation
They're an amateur side so they're probably hilariously rich compared to Rangers

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Great White Hope posted:

The original Glasgow Rangers went completely bust due to crazy overspend and were liquidated. The v2 version started again in the bottom division and have amazingly been worse run than the original and have a 99% wages to turnover ratio to win a part time league with literal plumbers and postmen as the opposition.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So ESPN has a headline saying UEFA was going to value PSG's at half of what it was signed on.

I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1802680/uefa-halves-value-paris-saint-germain-sponsorship-deal-qatar-tourism-authority?cc=5901

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Akileese posted:

So ESPN has a headline saying UEFA was going to value PSG's at half of what it was signed on.

I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1802680/uefa-halves-value-paris-saint-germain-sponsorship-deal-qatar-tourism-authority?cc=5901
Still more than I expected given the original story about "settlements" for Man City and PSG. I figured it would only be direct monetary penalties, effectively transparent bribery.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

tetsuo posted:

Still more than I expected given the original story about "settlements" for Man City and PSG. I figured it would only be direct monetary penalties, effectively transparent bribery.

No, that's still where we are. This article is just saying that PSG won't get credited with all the income from their endorsement deal when they're calculating FFP.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
This is brilliant. It turns out FFP is actually a clever scheme to get really rich clubs to pay a bunch of money to UEFA. Fair play indeed.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

blue footed boobie posted:

No, that's still where we are. This article is just saying that PSG won't get credited with all the income from their endorsement deal when they're calculating FFP.
Embedded video mentioned a reduction to CL squad size as well as the fine + reduction in marketing budget.

edit: I mean, yeah it's still pretty sketchy and not at all a great "punishment", and won't be until things like competition bans go into effect.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
Agree with FFP or not, it's all kind of irrelevant, the first time a club gets a 'ban' in a few years, they'll be a huge court case and it'll all fall apart.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

City will have to pay a £50m fine to UEFA for breaking FFP rules and they will only be able to register 21 players for the CL next season instead of the usual 25 man squad.

http://news.sky.com/story/1256043/man-city-fined-50m-for-breaking-finance-rules

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
The fine is meaningless to city, and the squad limit fairly pointless. But what does "the team will have to freeze their Champions League spending." mean, do we think.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
FFP is a great scheme to line the pockets of all the UEFA executives

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

They have to include 8 home grown in that 21, plus It'll have a wage cap and the fine is spread over 3 years so I suspect will be included in their ffp spending going forward.

City could have been disbanded and people would still piss and moan about FFP.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

They have to include 8 home grown in that 21, plus It'll have a wage cap and the fine is spread over 3 years so I suspect will be included in their ffp spending going forward.

City could have been disbanded and people would still piss and moan about FFP.
No that would actually be v cool.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

euroboy posted:

City will have to pay a £50m fine to UEFA for breaking FFP rules and they will only be able to register 21 players for the CL next season instead of the usual 25 man squad.

http://news.sky.com/story/1256043/man-city-fined-50m-for-breaking-finance-rules

I love how FFP has just turned into blatant racketeering by UEFA.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's a massive penalty if it stands. Massive enough that City are surely going to drag it into a real court.

How are Real and Barca avoiding falling foul of any of this stuff?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

peanut- posted:

It's a massive penalty if it stands. Massive enough that City are surely going to drag it into a real court.

Legitimate revenue?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

peanut- posted:

Something about Rossell and FIFA delagate's children's bank accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

peanut- posted:

• Locked thread