Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Big Taff Man posted:

Wow nice of you to have a dig at me here Ninpo

If the cap fits...

The way United treated season ticket holders was bad enough when I had mine, and that was before they brought that stupid poo poo in about "maybe losing your league seat if you don't pay for cup games" or whatever the gently caress that bollocks was.

The prices are ridiculous given the size of the stadium and its location, however ticket costs across English football are utter exploitation. I'm sorry if you took that personally, but how else do you see ticket prices changing, if the majority don't vote with their feet and remain willing to pay that sort of money, with those sorts of stipulations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
The taking of a league seat for not paying for a cup was because people tried to cheat the season ticket agreement by using dodgy card details to avoid paying for games.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Ninpo posted:

The prices are ridiculous given the size of the stadium and its location, however ticket costs across English football are utter exploitation. I'm sorry if you took that personally, but how else do you see ticket prices changing, if the majority don't vote with their feet and remain willing to pay that sort of money, with those sorts of stipulations?

Agreed. As long as people are willing to pay, it is in the best interest of the clubs to charge as much as possible. And I'm sorry if it's too much for a "working class" person to take her family to 19 games a season but it's the elite level of football and it's not unreasonable to charge accordingly. If you're poor maybe go once or twice a year? Or maybe support a team further down the pyramid?

Also, as far as I can tell, most matches are on TV and online. This isn't the 60s where going to live matches was the only way to see your team play. In fact I bet most Man United fans have never even been in England, yet they're just as passionate and knowledage as the locals.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

jyrka posted:

In fact I bet most Man United fans have never even been in England, yet they're just as passionate and knowledage as the locals.

Hahaha

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
Taff you only had a sniff at a season ticket in the last few years because thousands of fans who've had them in their families for generations gave them up in protest since 2005. The waiting list used to be decades long.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Source please!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

jyrka posted:

Agreed. As long as people are willing to pay, it is in the best interest of the clubs to charge as much as possible. And I'm sorry if it's too much for a "working class" person to take her family to 19 games a season but it's the elite level of football and it's not unreasonable to charge accordingly. If you're poor maybe go once or twice a year? Or maybe support a team further down the pyramid?

Also, as far as I can tell, most matches are on TV and online. This isn't the 60s where going to live matches was the only way to see your team play. In fact I bet most Man United fans have never even been in England, yet they're just as passionate and knowledage as the locals.

lol where is this from?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Sorry but I will not stand for teary-eyed nostalgic "working class" people trying to monopolise football tickets. And I will not apologise for it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Remember all the supporters protesting when Man Utd signed Rooney, Rio, Berbatov and Di Maria? Those supporters knew they were going to be priced out.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

"Waah waah, I want something expensive for much less than it is worth."

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
jyrka, I have to ask: are you trolling or are you seriously this retarded?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
jyrka is Estonian, I don't think they have trolls over there.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

oliwan posted:

jyrka, I have to ask: are you trolling or are you seriously this retarded?

Thanks for asking. Yes, I am seriously this retarded that I believe in fairness.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Locals are poors and plebs (except in London), don't romanticize them please

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

jyrka posted:

Thanks for asking. Yes, I am seriously this retarded that I believe in fairness.
I can't tell if you're kidding either, and this just made it worse haha

Who's your team again?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Hoops posted:

I can't tell if you're kidding either, and this just made it worse haha

Who's your team again?

Sunderland. I used to like Newcastle as a kid but I am such a contrarian, even towards myself, that I switched to Sunderland.

That is true by the way. As is that fact that I think it's not outrageous to raise the price when you have a decades long waiting list.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

excuse me lady posted:

Taff you only had a sniff at a season ticket in the last few years because thousands of fans who've had them in their families for generations gave them up in protest since 2005. The waiting list used to be decades long.

I know, I was on it.

Last year they still had season tickets for sale in january.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

jyrka posted:

That is true by the way. As is that fact that I think it's not outrageous to raise the price when you have a decades long waiting list.

yes, I too think that greed is cool and good!

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
The prices wouldn't be so bad if the premier league weren't so loving retarded with televising games

Oh no, we can't show games at 3pm on a Saturday because people won't go to watch some loving league 2 game

Piss off

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

oliwan posted:

I think the prices are too high and a ripoff too but evidently not enough "Mancs" agree. The owners should charge the market price otherwise middlemen would just make up the difference scalping. our Estonian friend is right. If enough people stopped paying they'd have to lower it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

oliwan posted:

Why is it greedy to charge a fair price for things? Why do you want to get one over on the club you claim to love so much?

jyrka fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 9, 2016

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

jyrka posted:

Why is it greedy to charge a fair price for things? Why do you want to get one over on the club you claim to love so much?

What's your opinion of Martin Shkreli?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Strawman posted:

Don't know too much about him but he's probably been vilified unfairly and inaccurately by the media. I quite like him.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white

Strawman posted:

Unlikable, money grabbing dickhead, but still probably liverpool's best centerback.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Stoke froze ticket prices for the ninth straight season.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Primpod posted:

Unlikable, money grabbing dickhead, but still probably liverpool's best centerback.
lol

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Byolante posted:

Stoke froze ticket prices for the ninth straight season.

Reminder: don't use Bet365

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Ulisses FC, Armenian runner-ups last season, are about to withdraw from the league due to financial troubles.

This could potentially mean the exclusion of Armenian clubs from European games, since they wouldn't have enough clubs to satisfy the minimum of eight rule.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Healbot posted:

Ulisses FC, Armenian runner-ups last season, are about to withdraw from the league due to financial troubles.

This could potentially mean the exclusion of Armenian clubs from European games, since they wouldn't have enough clubs to satisfy the minimum of eight rule.

Gutted that we won't be able to see the Armenian leagues finest teams in the CL

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Healbot posted:

Interesting. Latvia finished last season with 7 teams as well but as far as I know they're still in Europe. Maybe it's because they disqualified a team rather than a team withdrawing.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Healbot posted:

I'm hearing they're going on a 10 year tour of the aegean

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm hearing they're going on a 10 year tour of the aegean

heh

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Massive Floating Head of DEAD MAN'S SHOE: awright Ray

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Please use BET365 so my season tickets continue to be cheap and Stoke continues to spend money on players like imbula.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I missed something, any reason BET365 is especially bad?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dudley posted:

I missed something, any reason BET365 is especially bad?

No, the joke was just that Bet365 is owned by the same people that own Stoke.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MrBling posted:

No, the joke was just that Bet365 is owned by the same people that own Stoke.

Also Stoke was originally subsidised the way Man City and Chelsea are. Stoke's owner was doing it for different reasons and the club is more self sufficient now but there is no way we would have got promoted and stayed up with the stature of the club at the time without a rich owner who was also a diehard fan. Coates was more interested in making something the potteries could be proud of than a vanity project really but the process was the same.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Galatasaray have been barred from entering any UEFA competition they qualify for in the next two years. The club also has to reduce future spending on players.

The clubs sugar daddy went out last year (?) and now they're hosed.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
RIP Bundes-Poldi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

He'll be one of the first to go, being their highest paid player I think.

• Locked thread