Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Podolski, Sneijder and Muslera will all be gone for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/StuartJamesGNM/status/707895691650195456

Villa's wage bill went up assembling this piece of poo poo squad that has got back to back relegation written all over it :xd:

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Villa's wage bill went up assembling this piece of poo poo squad that has got back to back relegation written all over it :xd:

how is that possible... lambert signed league 1 players for us

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Someone audit Tims dogs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hardflip posted:

how is that possible... lambert signed league 1 players for us

Half the squad used to get Man City wages.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Yeah they are hosed on the pitch and off it. Not only do they have arguably the worst squad in PL history (Derby was worse but they at least tried), but they appear to be paying their players significantly more than most of the other PL clubs its a complete farce. If they weren't owned by a Billionaire they would be doing a Portsmouth the figures are that bad, instead they will need a miracle to turn it around within 3 years but relegation next year is a drat certainty as they likely won't be able to get rid of most of their squad in this Summer as nobody else would pay the wages they are currently on.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Do any of the players have relegation clauses in their wages? Villa would be stupid to still pay them pl wages

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Do any of the players have relegation clauses in their wages? Villa would be stupid to still pay them pl wages

Almost certainly not.

Anyone know of anywhere i can put a cheeky tenner on villa going down next year?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Almost certainly not.

Anyone know of anywhere i can put a cheeky tenner on villa going down next year?

I imagine with their debt situation and wages, the odds on that probably wouldn't be very good.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Those are the accounts for 2014/2015 right? So before Benteke and Delph being sold, before Vlaar/Senderos/Bent being released. Also covering Cleverley's loan wages, Lambert's payoff and Sherwood's contract.

Its likely not quite as bad as that now. Although obviously it won't be pretty when they lose Prem TV money next season.

They are run by morons but even they won't have been dumb enough not to have relegation clauses in all their new signings' contracts, although somehow they will still be paying Alan Hutton like 100k a week.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They're paying adama traore 70k a week so chances are most of the new signings got loads of money too

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Jose posted:

They're paying adama traore 70k a week so chances are most of the new signings got loads of money too

Yeah its not a good situation they are in by any means but its not double relegation / administration territory. I bet Newcastle were in worse shape when they went down.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

Those are the accounts for 2014/2015 right? So before Benteke and Delph being sold, before Vlaar/Senderos/Bent being released. Also covering Cleverley's loan wages, Lambert's payoff and Sherwood's contract.

Its likely not quite as bad as that now. Although obviously it won't be pretty when they lose Prem TV money next season.

They are run by morons but even they won't have been dumb enough not to have relegation clauses in all their new signings' contracts, although somehow they will still be paying Alan Hutton like 100k a week.

Lambert's payoff is the £3.3 million extra charge, separate from the wage bill.

Their wage bill puts them at about the 7th highest in the current PL, and not far off Tottenham's. Its staggeringly bad and in proportion to revenue a lot worse than even QPR's or Newcastle's were when they last got relegated. It will differ very little this year as they bought in a lot of players at inflated rates with the money they got from Benteke - so its likely they are also getting inflated salaries. Simply they are hosed and will be for a few years until they can get their finances in order, as their current wage bill wouldn't even be covered by the new PL TV deal even if they were in the PL next year, they have that little extra income coming in it would struggle to make up the difference to balance their books.

The extra income side of things is also interesting in that they have similar income as most of the smaller PL sides, so much for being a big club.

ukle fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 10, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
It's interesting because trying to cut the wage bill is what led to them being so awful in the first place.

It's amazing how many owners think they can sell their best players and not buy any real replacements and stay in the premier league.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It's interesting because trying to cut the wage bill is what led to them being so awful in the first place.

It's amazing how many owners think they can sell their best players and not buy any real replacements and stay in the premier league.

It is pretty baffling how they can reduce player quality and player wages year on year and still end up increasing their wage bill tbh

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The looming broadcasting deal had average individual wages increase faster than the club could manage I imagine.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Blue Star Error posted:

It is pretty baffling how they can reduce player quality and player wages year on year and still end up increasing their wage bill tbh
For like 5 years they've been in a cycle of "cut squad back - play like poo poo - panic buy - recover a little - cut squad back - play like poo poo..." and all those panic buys have been throwing huge money at people like Darren Bent

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

St Evan Echoes posted:

For like 5 years they've been in a cycle of "cut squad back - play like poo poo - panic buy - recover a little - cut squad back - play like poo poo..." and all those panic buys have been throwing huge money at people like Darren Bent

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. If Lerner had spent properly when replacing Young, Milner, Downing, Dunne, Collins, Benteke, etc, they wouldn't have spent so much on panic buys.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Manchester United's value has dropped 400 million pounds since the start of the season

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

And yet they're richer than ever.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

It's official that LvG is harming the United brand then.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
That whole public offering was weird. No voting power, just sorta floats with how well United is doing, I guess?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36021218

Swansea fans are split into two camps re: the takeover at the minute; those who say "£100m of new investment is great for the club!" and those who point out that the £100m the papers keep harping on about will be paid to the current shareholders and nothing has been promised to the football club itself.

Huw Jenkins is going to keep him £5m salary and bonuses while selling out the club to crooks.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Everyone's favourite plucky little breath of fresh air Bournemouth have been fined £7.6m for breaking football league FFP rules. They had a £30m wage bill with £13m income lol

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Blue Star Error posted:

Everyone's favourite plucky little breath of fresh air Bournemouth have been fined £7.6m for breaking football league FFP rules. They had a £30m wage bill with £13m income lol

I love it, "You don't have enough money to pay your players their wages based on your income, so we're taking more money away from you"

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

pik_d posted:

I love it, "You don't have enough money to pay your players their wages based on your income, so we're taking more money away from you"

Well they have enough money now, because they got promoted by cheating while morally upstanding law abiding clubs such as Leeds languish in the championship

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Blue Star Error posted:

Well they have enough money now, because they got promoted by cheating while morally upstanding law abiding clubs such as Leeds languish in the championship

Oh well in that case I don't see the problem.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

7.6m is pretty little considering how much of a boost promotion is

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

https://twitter.com/officialbantams/status/734390197329272833

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-GLO_PydqU

just what the bantams need

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

More details -

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/14509055.CONFIRMED__Bradford_City_taken_over_by_Germans/

This has come out of the blue. It wont be for asset striping as the club owns nothing as it lost it all when they almost went out of business. At a guess they see it as a good opportunity, which it is - IF they can either buy the old ground back or build a new one, which is probably the better idea as the old one is in a semi crap location.

ukle fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 22, 2016

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The saga of Rangers continues: the new board is now bringing a civil action against Mike Ashley, Sports Direct and former board members allied with Ashley.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

I think this is part of the 'deals were signed that were clearly in conflict with personal and legal interests' part of the saga

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

I think this is part of the 'deals were signed that were clearly in conflict with personal and legal interests' part of the saga

I'd assume the utterly horrible "only 4p from every pound of items sold in the Rangers Megastore actually goes to Rangers" deal was one of those deals? Because that's basically peak Mike Ashley.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

I'd assume the utterly horrible "only 4p from every pound of items sold in the Rangers Megastore actually goes to Rangers" deal was one of those deals? Because that's basically peak Mike Ashley.

Yer, the one with the 7 year break and a one way confidentiality clause

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

Tbf to ashley, fair play if he found people that stupid to sign it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Tbf to ashley, fair play if he found people that stupid to sign it.

The unfairness is what the court case is about!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

I know they were Scottish people but under the mental capacity act you have to assume they are able to sign a contract.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Total Meatlove posted:

It's going to be hard to ask for a contract to be unwound after you've accepted the money for three years.

Also:

I know they were Scottish people but under the mental capacity act you have to assume they are able to sign a contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
arsenal have become the first team to earn more than £100m for playing in the premier league

• Locked thread