Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

liverpools owners tried to flip it
I'm not sure how that makes a difference.

Potential buyers looked at Liverpool and saw that the debt made any purchase a poor financial decision. United isn't there yet, but that debt is growing. If they don't sell in a few years, there'll be too much risk involved to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.

s0meb0dy0 posted:

I'm not sure how that makes a difference.

Potential buyers looked at Liverpool and saw that the debt made any purchase a poor financial decision. United isn't there yet, but that debt is growing. If they don't sell in a few years, there'll be too much risk involved to buy it.

There are differences, but you're right in so much as they're not massive either way.

H+G were cash poor and couldn't raise any more money to refinance the club on anything close to favourable terms. The Glazer's got their bond issue that bought them another 4 years. However, Liverpool's debt was owed solely to one company, a company that actually acted pretty responsibly when the crunch time hit, the mish-mash of investors that took up United bond won't (and by the nature of the bond issue, can't) do the same.

The interesting thing about United finances is the 'missing' chunk of debt, where it got shifted to, where it got refinanced, or who bought it. As it stands we don't know and probably won't know unless things hit the fan.

The Glazer's ownership of united is just as much of a cancer on them as H+G was on Liverpool, it's just taking longer due to bite to the relative starting positions and availability of credit/assets to guarantee against.

You just can't support that levels of loss year after year while only paying interest on debt. They've either got some master plan to flip it we can't see, or are simply holding on in the hopes of some massive internet streaming/individual TV rights contracts to come about. But both of these are years and years away at minimum. But without the latter anyone buying it will think the same thing - 'these guys are ****ed, we can get this cheaper if we play hard ball or let them fail first'.

The summer after next will be the interesting one at United, because they can probably blag their way through this next window without that much investment in players, but they can't stretch that next summer as well - not with the holes that their squad will have by then.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Allyn posted:

Pretty sure the rules only check to see whether the club makes an operating profit, not a net profit. The cost of paying interest isn't calculated as part of operating profit. United have turned an operating profit for the last four years, but only turned a net profit in one of those (when they sold Ronaldo). Which means they'll never even be close to losing a European spot.

pretty sure a huge part of the rules is interest from takeovers will be counted. I think stadium debt won't be though

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Podcast with some uefa dude who made up the fair play rules or some poo poo

http://www.beyondthepitch.net/podcasts/edition/index.cfm/beyond-the-pitch/2011/03/20/uefa-financial-play/

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Can anyone who's familiar explain what's going on with the La Liga money and why games are being postponed?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Once per matchday one game is free to watch on Spanish TV. The clubs want all of their games on PPV (and thereby demand more money from the TV stations; €800m instead of €620m) and threaten the government with strike (not strictly a strike as it's the clubs that want it, not the players or staff).

To show that they mean it, the upcoming matchday has been postponed by a week. Seven clubs of La Liga (Villarreal, Sevilla, Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad San Sebastián, Espanyol Barcelona, Real Saragossa and Málaga) were against it though.

It is expected that the government doesn't buckle under the 'pressure', losing the one free game a week might be a deciding factor in the next elections.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Nice to see a couple of the bigger clubs making a stand as well. Not that they make much anyway due to the poo poo deal all of Spains clubs get

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
How is the free game decided? Is it a case of every team has 2 home games free to air per season or are they selected somehow?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's usually the last game on Saturday at 10pm.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Healbot posted:

Once per matchday one game is free to watch on Spanish TV. The clubs want all of their games on PPV (and thereby demand more money from the TV stations; €800m instead of €620m) and threaten the government with strike (not strictly a strike as it's the clubs that want it, not the players or staff).

To show that they mean it, the upcoming matchday has been postponed by a week. Seven clubs of La Liga (Villarreal, Sevilla, Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad San Sebastián, Espanyol Barcelona, Real Saragossa and Málaga) were against it though.

It is expected that the government doesn't buckle under the 'pressure', losing the one free game a week might be a deciding factor in the next elections.

Isn't it kinda of shortsighted to have all the games on pay-per-view? What about recruiting new fans etc

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

hhhmmm posted:

Isn't it kinda of shortsighted to have all the games on pay-per-view? What about recruiting new fans etc

Who cares about fans when you only perceive moving money-pouches (it'd be a PR-disaster if it wasn't so pathetic)?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

hhhmmm posted:

I assume by pay-per-view he means subscription channels like the way the Premier League is on Sky/ESPN rather than a pay by the game set-up?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mickolution posted:

I assume by pay-per-view he means subscription channels like the way the Premier League is on Sky/ESPN rather than a pay by the game set-up?

I am not so sure. I remember hearing a few years ago that all spanish games were televised there but they were all but one on a pay per view basis. I would assume that it's still the same.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Wow, didn't know that.

Big Black Sock
Mar 12, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I am not so sure. I remember hearing a few years ago that all spanish games were televised there but they were all but one on a pay per view basis. I would assume that it's still the same.
Any idea on how much the games cost? Depending on the price this sounds like either the best or worst case scenario for a fan.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Big Black Sock posted:

Any idea on how much the games cost? Depending on the price this sounds like either the best or worst case scenario for a fan.

Some very old info (2001) I found on the web says that back then all games were pay per view, save for one on broadcast TV, and all games were about €5 except Real Madrid or Barcelona games which were €10.

Johnny Mnemonic
Apr 8, 2007

Sudowoodo used woodhump! It's super-effective.
cheaper than some of the lovely packages americans have to pay for to see eggball out of market (directv) or even cable sports plans

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Johnny Mnemonic posted:

cheaper than some of the lovely packages americans have to pay for to see eggball out of market (directv) or even cable sports plans

Off topic a little bit but I would gladly pay per game for NFL sunday ticket. It sucks spending $300 per year so I can watch 13 games (broncos are usually nationally televised like, 3 times a year so those 3 are exempt from the package) games per season.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I see United are suing their own fans now. Brilliant.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

c0burn posted:

I see United are suing their own fans now. Brilliant.
You mean McKenna I take it?

I wish they wouldn't but any company would do the same if their client list was posted online.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
You're as bad as the deluded bellends on RefCafe.

I agree on the company thing though. You removed Football Club from your badge, after all.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Manchester United P.L.C never forget

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

c0burn posted:

You're as bad as the deluded bellends on RefCafe.

What did I say that was objectionable? I wish they wouldn't do it but every major club would do the same thing to protect their corporate clients, you're delusional if you think Liverpool wouldn't have done the same thing in the same position.

It's hardly the Redskins suing a 72-year old: http://www.rmmag.com/Magazine/PrintTemplate.cfm?AID=4012

delicious beef fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 26, 2011

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I mentioned this at the time, but the company I work for had their name on the list. Load of United fans decided it was a great idea to plaster the front of our building with "Love United Hate Glazer" stickers. Removing them ended up damaging our sign as the paint got pulled off.

My boss ended up kicking off with United over the data leak, and we put a sign in the window saying that we supported the campaign and had reduced the amount of tickets we bought.

Lowden Swain
Jul 11, 2006
can't hold his mud

Johnny Mnemonic posted:

It is literally "make a stupid generalized comment about American sports" day, is it?

Huge difference between there being 4-6 games a week (approximately 25 to 40% of all competitions) being on free television (no annual license required either) and every single game being PPV.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Taff posted:

My boss ended up kicking off with United over the data leak, and we put a sign in the window saying that we supported the campaign and had reduced the amount of tickets we bought.

lol that's nearly as bad as all the fans you see wearing this years shirt with green and gold scarves

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
GLazers! sell up NOW or i'll buy less tickets. not no tickets. but less tickets. how do yyou like that M$lc$m?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

GLazers! sell up NOW or i'll buy less tickets. not no tickets. but less tickets. how do yyou like that M$lc$m?

Pretty sure Malcom's dead, he hasn't been seen for like 5 years.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

c0burn posted:

Pretty sure Malcom's dead, he hasn't been seen for like 5 years.

Neither has Kim Jong-il. Co-incidence?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Bhyo posted:

Neither has Kim Jong-il. Co-incidence?

Really makes you think

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Just FYI:

German second division football club TSV 1860 Munich is in desperate need of almost 9 million Euros until Friday or they'll face bankrupcy and relegation to the fourth (!!!) league.

On the weekend there was a huge demo in Munich with around 100.000 participants. That was the one against nuclear power. A total of 150 fans of 1860 meanwhile stood on Munichs Marienplatz in dire desparation. The atmosphere supposedly was very aggravated and in the following night the FC Bayern HQ was vandalised with blue paint, being 1860s colour.

Why would they attack Bayern now? Because they offered to "The Lions" from insolvency (again) by loaning them the money they need at a 4% interest rate (2% to the bank, 2% to Bayern).
1860 still ows Bayern around ? 2mio in rent for the Allianz Arena.

1860s president Schäfer was called a traitor on several banners while meeting with fans on the weekend because he talked to Bayern about the loan offer. In the end the deal was called off.

The fans seem to agree that the death of their club is inevitable and somehow a good thing, a chance to start anew. They will be especially ecstatic about the prospect of not playing in the Allianz Arena anymore, since the contracts are only binding down to the third league. They will most probably play in the Grünwalder Stadion again if they get relegated, together with Bayern Munich II who will most probably get relegated to the fourth league as well (they suck poo poo). So there will be still a derby in Munich :)

Well let's wait and see what the next five days bring, perhaps they somehow manage to postpone the inevitable again for a few months...

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

That's what happens when your (old) management is not only criminally incompetent but also criminal.

Healbot fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 28, 2011

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

lol that's nearly as bad as all the fans you see wearing this years shirt with green and gold scarves

Well it was a difficult one, as we were using them to take corporate clients to matches. The amount of seats we had taken had been reduced already, and we wont be renewing them at the end of this season.

It just seems silly that the fans decided the best idea for the data leak was to vandalise properties .

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Is the sign ok though? It must have been a waking nightmare seeing stickers on things.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

BunnyX posted:

Is the sign ok though? It must have been a waking nightmare seeing stickers on things.

The stickers pulled paint off it and we had to have it touched up. All is well now.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Taff posted:

The stickers pulled paint off it and we had to have it touched up. All is well now.

I hope the people who did this are prosecuted to the full extent of the law. No excuses for stuff like this in football imo.

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 28, 2011

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
My dad almost died trying to get some stickers off a sign once so this is a subject very close to my heart. Do you have photos of the damage?

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

I hope the people who did this are prosecuted to the full extent of the law. No excuses for stuff like this in football imo.

The real horrors of the Glazer regime.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

BunnyX posted:

My dad almost died trying to get some stickers off a sign once so this is a subject very close to my heart. Do you have photos of the damage?

Good news, I do indeed. Heres a small portion of the horrors that awaited me when I came to work that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Taff posted:

Good news, I do indeed. Heres a small portion of the horrors that awaited me when I came to work that day

dear god....

• Locked thread