Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Didn't realise the offer is kronke taking over fizmans shares within 20 days of his death :(. Poor guy.

Timing kind of makes sense though. We are a year or two away from renewing major sponsorship deals that should bring in much more money then our current ones that had to be front loaded because of the stadium. The stadium is being paid off way ahead of schedule and another phase of flats has just been started. He's probably looked around and thinks the sport is going to grow world wide and with all his franchises he should be able to boost the image of the club fairly easily so if he gets in now he should be ahead of any price rises from all that extra income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

Timing kind of makes sense though. We are a year or two away from renewing major sponsorship deals that should bring in much more money then our current ones that had to be front loaded because of the stadium. The stadium is being paid off way ahead of schedule and another phase of flats has just been started. He's probably looked around and thinks the sport is going to grow world wide and with all his franchises he should be able to boost the image of the club fairly easily so if he gets in now he should be ahead of any price rises from all that extra income.

Pretty much this. Arsenal are about to go through their next stages of economic growth and so it makes a lot of sense to buy the club now before its value (hopefully) increases through the new deals.

I'm not sure what kind of effect any of this will have on the pitch. I don't think he is the type to meddle like an Abromovich, or the kind to pull the trigger on the manager if he doesn't get immediate results like the Sheik.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pong Lenis posted:

Arsenal are about to go through their next stages of economic growth

It's this sort of thing that makes Arsenal my favourite top six side :allears:

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Pong Lenis posted:

I'm not sure what kind of effect any of this will have on the pitch. I don't think he is the type to meddle like an Abromovich, or the kind to pull the trigger on the manager if he doesn't get immediate results like the Sheik.

He won't invest any more than the usual into the club, and neither will he put a mountain of debt on the club either. I guess it will be very much status quo, except for some changes in the board room. I guess (like most other american owners) he's in it to earn money and run it like a business rather than going wild with the cheque book like Abromovic and the sheiks at City.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

He's going to fire Wenger and bring in Bob Bradley.

History will regard this as a masterstroke.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Lots of stuff on the guardian site about Kroenke, but the only interesting bit is this one.

quote:

As the landlord of most Wal-Mart stores in the US, Kroenke is a very rich man indeed, but his wealth appears tied up in assets. His Arsenal takeover, valuing the club at £731m, means he will have to stump up £500m in cash if all the major shareholders take him up on his offer (and there is every reason to believe they will). No one can yet tell, however, if Kroneke, whose business affairs are enshrouded in the corporate darkness of Delaware, has that kind of money sitting in a bank account.

In Arsenal's board statement recommending that shareholders take up Kroenke's £11,750-a-share offer, it stressed the following: "Kroenke Sports Enterprises [the purchasing vehicle] has stated that the offer will not be funded by debt finance secured against the club." Fine. But that could be a little misleading: it doesn't matter where any debt finance might be secured, once he owns Arsenal outright there will be nothing to stop Kroenke taking £25m a year and more in dividends to pay for KSE's leveraged buyout. That might very well rouse the red army, for Arsenal cannot afford that kind of burden.

Kroenke has taken over a business that turned over £380m last year. But that staggering number, a record for any English football-club parent company, conceals an underlying football business that is relatively anaemic. The £157m of property profits deriving from flat sales at the redeveloped Highbury will not recur.

Football revenues last season were only 7% higher than they were in 2007-8. And with football revenues pretty flat, costs are rising: the wage bill is believed now to have climbed to around 54% of football turnover. Only when Arsenal's paltry £5.5m-a-year shirt sponsorship with Emirates – cheaply forward sold to raise cash for the stadium construction – ends in May 2014 will Arsenal's football business approach the level of Manchester United's.

And it's still just speculation.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
5.5m a year shirt sponsor for a club like arsenal, that's crazy. ours is 20m a year and that was secured during the club's worst season in 11 years or whatever

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Chuggo posted:

5.5m a year shirt sponsor for a club like arsenal, that's crazy. ours is 20m a year and that was secured during the club's worst season in 11 years or whatever

It's the same company who are paying loads to sponsor the stadium and they were in need of they money. It's very low though.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

He's going to fire Wenger and bring in Bob Bradley.

History will regard this as a masterstroke.

Jozy Altidore to Arsenal.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Chuggo posted:

According to Wikipedia Man Utd's is reportedly worth around 80million over four years.

How long does arsenals run for?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Thirteenth Step posted:

According to Wikipedia Man Utd's is reportedly worth around 80million over four years.

How long does arsenals run for?

May 2014 according to that article.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I wonder how much money was front loaded though

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Couch posted:

Someone post that write up about how Kroenke took over the MLS team and promised heaps but didn't really deliver.

Except he got them a brand new, great looking soccer specific stadium and they won MLS cup last year? :confused:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Jose posted:

I wonder how much money was front loaded though

basically all of it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

basically all of it

I was more after the amount

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Jose posted:

I was more after the amount

i think that figure is the deal averaged over the length of the contract. I've never seen any figures but i've read multiple times we took a massive massive hit per year in order to get the money up front

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Whatever money Arsenal lost on the sponsorhip Im sure theyll gain back shortly if the likes of Brazil end up playing at the Emirates ever year.

Goddamn that is unfair.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

MoPZiG posted:

Whatever money Arsenal lost on the sponsorhip Im sure theyll gain back shortly if the likes of Brazil end up playing at the Emirates ever year.

Goddamn that is unfair.

Out of interest, do you know what the situation be if West Ham wanted to do similar with the Olympic Stadium? Like, will they get any money from it or how is the ownership going to be set up there?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Out of interest, do you know what the situation be if West Ham wanted to do similar with the Olympic Stadium? Like, will they get any money from it or how is the ownership going to be set up there?

Pretty sure we are going to go bankrupt either through upgrading the shitbox or losing a court battle to Spurs, all while stuck in the colaship.

To win the bid we've had to leverage most of the utility of the stadium going forward to Newham Council and LiveNation promoters I think aswell.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
David Dein was dodgy as gently caress and did a lot to normalise the use of 'superagents' by most of the big european clubs. He might have done well for Arsenal (with several caveats) but he's bad news for the sport as a whole

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MrBling posted:

Lots of stuff on the guardian site about Kroenke, but the only interesting bit is this one.

And it's still just speculation.

I think he probably does have enough cash, and if he doesn't then his wife does (she's a Walmart heiress) but he also has to sell two of the four other sports teams he owns. He bought the St. Louis Rams last year and the NFL doesn't allow you to own major US sports teams in other cities. MLS doesn't count as major per NFL rules, but he has to give up control of his NBA and NHL teams by 2014. I imagine that will net him a decent amount of money.

Also Kroenke usually doesn't do any meddling in the way his teams are run.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

wicka posted:

the NFL doesn't allow you to own major US sports teams in other cities.

Why's that?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Why's that?

I assume something to do with having owners who are actually invested in the success of the team and aren't just there to make money. They forbid corporate owners as well.

wicka fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 11, 2011

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Seems strange that they can tell you what to do with the rest of your business.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Shop at Wal-mart, support Arsenal.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Mickolution posted:

Welcome to the NFL, owning a good NFL franchise is worth more than owning an NHL/NBA franchise combined probably.

It happens all the time when owners buy into teams - former Skins owner was the owner of the Lakers, but had to sell them when he bought the team. It makes the league uber-financially stable in a lot of ways (that and it's loving super popular obviously).

But yes, I think he'll have plenty of money rather than just assets after he dumps the NHL/NBA teams he owns.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Mickolution posted:

Honestly, the English FA could do a lot worse than importing some of the business models/rules used in American sports. Isn't it something like 50 English clubs that have gone into administration in the last 20 years or so?

The level of play in MLS is pretty much poo poo, but their business model is rock solid. If MLS had been run the way a lot of English clubs are, the league would have imploded inside of 10 years.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Oh for fucks sake.

adumb
Mar 27, 2004

innocuous metrosexual.
Lipstick Apathy

adumb fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 26, 2012

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

WhiteShad0w posted:

Honestly, the English FA could do a lot worse than importing some of the business models/rules used in American sports. Isn't it something like 50 English clubs that have gone into administration in the last 20 years or so?

The level of play in MLS is pretty much poo poo, but their business model is rock solid. If MLS had been run the way a lot of English clubs are, the league would have imploded inside of 10 years.

Don't go there.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

WhiteShad0w posted:

In terms of running the clubs, maybe, but I fail to see what right the NFL has to tell you how to run your other businesses.

Prob best to stop this discussion now though, the natives will get angsty again.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Mickolution posted:

In terms of running the clubs, maybe, but I fail to see what right the NFL has to tell you how to run your other businesses.

Prob best to stop this discussion now though, the natives will get angsty again.

I'm not suggesting wholesale changes, but people are always moaning about football being dead and uneven playing fields from a business perspective, but then not open to any suggestions about how things could change.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Stop stop stop.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Mickolution posted:

Remember you're not buying a business, you're buying a franchise, and the franchiser can set whatever conditions that they think will be best for their business.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

adumb posted:

again, if arsenal fans aren't ecstatic about this, they are loving retarded. so i guess i understand why you lot are still wringing your hands and looking for dirt.

it's not a done deal yet, i don't know anything about him and considering other high profile american owners in the premier league i don't think it's unreasonable to be a bit cautious about this.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

euroboy posted:

it's not a done deal yet, i don't know anything about him and considering other high profile american owners in the premier league i don't think it's unreasonable to be a bit cautious about this.

Like I said before, he's historically been a very hands-off owner, and all early indications are that nothing in the day-today running of the club will change (e.g. Hill-Wood is staying on as chairman).

adumb
Mar 27, 2004

innocuous metrosexual.
Lipstick Apathy

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

NattyBo posted:

Welcome to the NFL, owning a good NFL franchise is worth more than owning an NHL/NBA franchise combined probably.

It happens all the time when owners buy into teams - former Skins owner was the owner of the Lakers, but had to sell them when he bought the team. It makes the league uber-financially stable in a lot of ways (that and it's loving super popular obviously).

But yes, I think he'll have plenty of money rather than just assets after he dumps the NHL/NBA teams he owns.

What happens if the team owner can't find someone who wants to buy the team?

adumb
Mar 27, 2004

innocuous metrosexual.
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

I came across something that might be interesting to a few people here (with the whole Kroenke business) a while back, the SA thread from when Glazer took over at Man U (requirse archives). Interesting to see parallels between what was said then and what's being said about Kroenke tbh.

• Locked thread