Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

$19m/year is 223k/week pounds for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

w00bi posted:

$19m/year is 223k/week pounds for reference.

And I dont think tevez is anywhere near that. Papers will usually tack on all of the bonuses even if theres no way the player can get them. I bet he's got something like a 5m bonus if City qualify for the champions league, + a few million if hes top goalscorer etc etc.

Football writers dont pluck these figures out of thin air, but they definitely dont explain it properly, just write TOURE ON 200k A WEEK ITS NOT RIGHT!!! in big letters.

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

He's probably not over 200k but I would guess he's somewhere near 150k. That's $13m a year which still appears to be a large number.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

w00bi posted:

He's probably not over 200k but I would guess he's somewhere near 150k.

That would be my guess. I'd actually be shocked if there was a premier league player actually taking home more than 180k a week. I wouldnt be surprised if that was made up in bonuses however.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Bhyo posted:

And I dont think tevez is anywhere near that. Papers will usually tack on all of the bonuses even if theres no way the player can get them. I bet he's got something like a 5m bonus if City qualify for the champions league, + a few million if hes top goalscorer etc etc.

Football writers dont pluck these figures out of thin air, but they definitely dont explain it properly, just write TOURE ON 200k A WEEK ITS NOT RIGHT!!! in big letters.

Exactly. The only people who know his actual salary are Tevez, his agent and the club. You can make some decent guesswork from the public accounts but especially when there's high squad turnover it's very loose guesswork.

I also expect Kompany to be on far less, since he was signed under Thaksin, this was Ireland's big issue (and Sturridge) since there was reluctance to bring them up to pay parity with the new players. Obviously future club-captain Kompany is going to be closer but not in the same league pay-wise.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

w00bi posted:

That's $13m a year which still appears to be a large number.

excellent observation woobi. some of those salaries are absolutely shocking though, eto'o only on 8 million and ribery on 14 million.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Didn't one of Liverpool's players get his wage slip posted online once, and it showed that while the papers said he was on £X amount, it was more £X-£20k and then tax and then everything else.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Dear Sergio posted:

excellent observation woobi. some of those salaries are absolutely shocking though, eto'o only on 8 million and ribery on 14 million.

The only way the numbers mean anything at all is if you assume ESPN are equally inaccurate with every salary. The only sports you'll get decently accurate figures for are things like Tennis, Golf and Snooker where the prize pots are all named.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

ibroxmassive posted:

Didn't one of Liverpool's players get his wage slip posted online once, and it showed that while the papers said he was on £X amount, it was more £X-£20k and then tax and then everything else.

Think it was John Arne Riises.

edit: yeah.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Getafe were bought by Team Dubai who plan to rename them....Getafe Team Dubai. God drat that sounds absolutely awful.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...ccernet&cc=5901

Couch
May 16, 2004

COME ON TOT!
Looks like I have a new La Liga team to root for.

Come on you blues?

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
We should all move to Burundi and live like kings.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

^^^^ You mean Niue?

wicka posted:

All of their Formula 1 figures are grossly inflated, those are most assuredly not base salaries they have listed.

Kimi's still getting paid by Ferrari. His contract with them was $50 million a year.

Vettel is on a low salary but massive bonuses for doing stuff.

Hamilton and Alonso's salary are probably a bit more confusing because whilst santander is conisdered most likely a promotional thing I think they actually pay their salary to be on the team.

It is a lot of guesswork this stuff.

Are figures quoted in the media pre/post tax and all that?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
F1 as a sport is super-secretive about all things money

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MoPZiG posted:

ESPN just put up an interesting chart stating who is the highest paid athlete country by country.

Makes a good read. Man City truly is a king maker.

quote:

Vietnam Lee Nguyen soccer Vietnam, Becamex Binh Duong 180,000 $1,058

Lee Nguyen is actually American.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jollzwhin posted:

Exactly. The only people who know his actual salary are Tevez, his agent and the club. You can make some decent guesswork from the public accounts but especially when there's high squad turnover it's very loose guesswork.

Kia Joorabchian probably sold the information to a paper. I certainly wouldn't put it past him

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TomSellek posted:

Why do F1 drivers get paid so much?

It's the same as most sports, except that Formula 1 is absolutely ridiculous at the top level. When Michael Schumacher was at his peak, Ferrari were spending $250m per year simply on car development. Schumacher was pulling in $80m per year (including endorsements, but he's never exactly been the font of all charisma).

They've changed the rules since then to limit the amount of testing you can do and the amount of parts you can use, simply because it was literally scaring teams out of the sport, and even the major manufacturers couldn't justify the cost of participating, let alone private teams.

But yeah, you can easily go out and hire a rookie driver (well, a F3000 or IndyCar champion, but for the purposes of this level, a rookie driver) for $500,000 a year, but if you want someone who's consistently proven at F1 level, you have to pay a certain amount, and if you want someone who's actually a world champion then the $15m-a-year contracts come up.

I mean, if the car you've just built cost $100m to develop, you probably don't want Takuma Sato driving it.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

wicka posted:

Lee Nguyen is actually American.

But if both his parents are Vietnamese hen he is probably a citizen of Vietnam as well. Might be the factor here.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
If Craig Adams counts for Brunei then Nguyen can count for Vietnam.

Couch
May 16, 2004

COME ON TOT!
It would be quite easy for someone's pay to get out. There must be at least a few people in the club who see how much Tevez is paid and similarly you'd assume people at his bank must know.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Here's a bit of a cross-post from the EPL thread. Liverpool apparently just struck the largest kit deal in UK football history.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1379466/Liverpools-mammoth-25m-year-Warrior-kit-deal-rewrites-record-books.html

quote:

Liverpool have wrapped up a £25m-a-year kit deal with Boston-based company Warrior Sports — a record for English football and twice what adidas currently pay.

Nike’s deal with Manchester United is worth £23.5m.

I'm sorry it's a Daily Mail link, but I don't have a Times subscription.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm curious what this company's plan is. They currently make only lacrosse and hockey gear. I guess this is an interesting way to make a splash. All their clothes look pretty normal, but this is definitely branching out for them.

http://warriorsports.com/index.html

Couch
May 16, 2004

COME ON TOT!
ffs our Under Armour deal is only £10m.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TyChan posted:

Here's a bit of a cross-post from the EPL thread. Liverpool apparently just struck the largest kit deal in UK football history.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1379466/Liverpools-mammoth-25m-year-Warrior-kit-deal-rewrites-record-books.html

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm curious what this company's plan is. They currently make only lacrosse and hockey gear. I guess this is an interesting way to make a splash. All their clothes look pretty normal, but this is definitely branching out for them.

That's...odd.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Warrior wtf

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

TyChan posted:

have they done a robinho and got confused with another team from near that area that plays in red?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

have they done a robinho and got confused with another team from near that area that plays in red?

No.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Plymouth Argyle are in £17.7m of debt and are offering creditors 0.7 pence in the pound.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

Plymouth Argyle are in £17.7m of debt and are offering creditors 0.7 pence in the pound.

loving hell, the taxman nearly killed pompey for more than that

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
But wasn't that because pompey owed a large amount of their money to the taxman directly?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

well goodbye plymouth argyle. Didn't pompey offer 10p in the pound? think the situation of the club was summed up when the manager was wearing a training top with the old managers name still on it

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

But wasn't that because pompey owed a large amount of their money to the taxman directly?

Don't Argyle?

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

well goodbye plymouth argyle. Didn't pompey offer 10p in the pound?

yeah and that was considered generous at the time

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Dear Sergio posted:

Mark Gonzalez

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

TyChan posted:

Sounds good to me, least we'll have somehting unique and the money's excellent. Sick of seeing Adidas recolouring shirts and passing them off as unique.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

c0burn posted:

Sounds good to me, least we'll have somehting unique and the money's excellent. Sick of seeing Adidas recolouring shirts and passing them off as unique.

I do love the three stripes though :\ (just wish they were more subtle)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TyChan posted:

Looks to me like this is a sign of NESV coming good financially. Admittedly that's literally only because it's a Boston-based company that has previously not been involved in football, but to me it looks like a good sign.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

vyelkin posted:

Looks to me like this is a sign of NESV coming good financially. Admittedly that's literally only because it's a Boston-based company that has previously not been involved in football, but to me it looks like a good sign.

Michigan is nowhere near Boston.

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

oldman posted:

Michigan is nowhere near Boston.

No but Boston is near Boston, and New Balance happens to be in Boston.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:
United's deal with Nike is worth about £25m this year, but it's hard to say for sure because it was signed 10 years ago and goes up year by year.

The new France deal is supposed to be £35m iirc, which is definitely the gold standard. I wonder if club deals tend to be more or less valuable than national teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Money is money and I will take it. Between 50m for a broken Torres and this, NESV have already proven themselves better at finances than H&G ever were.

• Locked thread