Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13313804.stm

Plymouths' creditors have accept the deal. 0.77p for every pound. Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Midnight- posted:

this owns (in the sense that seeing a club dissolve would be so sad)

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Midnight- posted:

it's a relief but at the same time it's loving shameful how badly we've treated the creditors (parasites excluded). worried by the nature of some of the bids though - yes it's great we'll continue as a league club but 2 out of the 3 interested parties look like they're concerned largely - probably only - with the property development opportunities

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

it's a relief but at the same time it's loving shameful how badly we've treated the creditors (parasites excluded). worried by the nature of some of the bids though - yes it's great we'll continue as a league club but 2 out of the 3 interested parties look like they're concerned largely - probably only - with the property development opportunities

That's because there's no opportunity left in the football team :smugdog:

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

quote:

Queens Park Rangers supporters have reacted angrily after learning they will be charged up to £72 to watch their team in the Barclays Premier League next season.

Club owners Flavio Briatore, Bernie Ecclestone and Lakshmi Mittal are cashing in on the club's promotion back to the top flight by hiking the prices of both matchday and season tickets.

The cheapest tickets will be £47 while season tickets are up by almost 40% from last term, although with four home games less in the Premier League compared to the npower Championship, the increase is even more in real terms.

The price rises were widely predicted but have still been met with dismay by many Rangers fans.

"It's an absolute disgrace and, yet again, underlines the total contempt the owners of QPR have for the fans," said Paul Finney of the Independent R's website. "Flavio Briatore's dream is a 'boutique' club, which has an exclusive feel to it and is the place for wealthy people to be seen.

"Not only is that a slap in the face of QPR supporters, it is not in the long-term interests of a club that has two other Premier League clubs (Chelsea and Fulham) on its doorstep."

Those prices are nuts. What kind of state are QPR's finances in for the owners to think that these ticket prices are justifiable? Or is the intention really to price out the oi polloi and rif raff?

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
QPR are mean rich, their owners combined wealth dwarfs Man City. Abramovich is worth £8bn, Lakshmi Mittal who owns 20% of QPR is worth £18bn. Ecclestone is worth another couple of billion, Briatore another billion or so.

Loftus Road's tiny too. I really think they give no fucks about who's paying them, they've just decided to maximise the £ for the seats available.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Bacon of the Sea posted:

QPR are mean rich, their owners combined wealth dwarfs Man City. Abramovich is worth £8bn, Lakshmi Mittal who owns 20% of QPR is worth £18bn. Ecclestone is worth another couple of billion, Briatore another billion or so.

Loftus Road's tiny too. I really think they give no fucks about who's paying them, they've just decided to maximise the £ for the seats available.

i thought abramovich was about 15bn?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I also suspect Sheikh Mansour's family are helping fund Man City

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chuggo posted:

i thought abramovich was about 15bn?

He lost a lot in the financial crisis.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE
QPR must have some galactico signings lined up

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Biggy_ posted:

QPR must have some galactico signings lined up

Either that or corporate boxes filled with shoes.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
QPR will be buying the best 30 year old Championship journeymen that money can buy.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
crosspost

someone mentioned secondary sponsors the other day and how good united are at bringing in extra revenue with them, and it seems liverpool have taken another step in the right direction by announcing a three year deal with honda motorbikes

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

i think they signed the wrong Honda

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
how can you t

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
What is red and falls over easily in traffic?

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
wooo yayyy wooo yayyy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13614706.stm

quote:

Convers Sports Initiatives, controlled by London-based Russian businessman Vladimir Antonov, have completed their takeover of Portsmouth.

They purchased the Championship club from Sports Holdings (Asia) Ltd after "several months of negotiations".

Portsmouth chief executive David Lampitt said: "I am pleased to welcome the club's new owners and very much look forward to working with them.

"In CSI, I believe we have found owners who will take the long-term view."

CSI owners Antonov, Roman Dubov and former Leeds United chief executive Chris Akers have passed the Football League's fit and proper persons' test. (wooo)

They already own a growing list of sports teams, franchises and rights, with current interests including the World Rally Championship, PowerPlay Golf, Spartak Moscow ice hockey team, Ferrari Team Russia and the Isle of Man TT motorcycle race.

" We have taken this club during the worst times and brought it to safe grounds from near extinction"

Balram Chainrai, Levi Kushnir and Deepak Chainrai Outgoing Portsmouth owners

Antonov, 36, said: "We have conducted extensive due diligence and held detailed negotiations with a number of clubs in the English Premier League, Championship, League One and Scottish Premier League over the past 12 months.

"We ultimately selected Portsmouth because of its history, loyal fan base and its potential to return to the Premier League. (pahahah)

"The supporters are amongst the most passionate in the game and that gives the business a strong foundation to build on.

"We look forward to working with all those connected with Portsmouth including the management, players, employees and sponsors, as well as developing close ties with the city of Portsmouth and the community."

CSI were behind a failed bid for Bournemouth last summer, but have been successful on this occasion in securing the sale of Portsmouth from Hong Kong businessman Balram Chainrai, director of Sports Holdings (Asia) Ltd. (A definite real company)

Chainrai first took over at Fratton Park in February 2010, placing Portsmouth in administration after initially investing £17m in the club, and "reluctantly" assuming control when previous owner Ali Al Faraj defaulted on loan payments due to him.

"I'm very pleased that it is now complete and we can start to put plans in place for the future."

David Lampitt

Portsmouth, debt ridden at the time, were the first Premier League club to enter administration and were consequently deducted nine points on their way to relegation from the top flight.

Following the club's exit from administration in October 2010, Chainrai retook the reigns, and has since run the club along with fellow Sports Holdings' directors Levi Kushnir and Deepak Chainrai.

They preserved their Championship status this season with a 16th-placed finish under the guidance of manager Steve Cotterill, but soon after taking over, Chainrai admitted that he was "not the right man for the club long-term".

Chief executive Lampitt continued: "It has been a complex process, which has been conducted very professionally throughout. I'm very pleased that it is now complete and we can start to put plans in place for the future.

"We are pleased to be looking ahead but may I also take this opportunity to thank Balu Chainrai, Levi Kushnir and Deepak Chainrai for their contribution in seeing the club through a very difficult period in its recent history."

An outgoing statement from the former owners on the Portsmouth website said: "We are delighted to hand over Portsmouth to CSI. We believe that CSI will lead Portsmouth into a bright future.

"As we committed to do, we have taken this club during the worst times and brought it to safe grounds from near extinction. The club was going through a very difficult period and now is being handed over to a strong, able and willing group.

"We would like to thank Steve Cotterill, the manager, and his team, David Lampitt, the chief executive, and his management team and all the club's staff for the hard work and sleepless nights in bringing the club to where it is now."

A statement from CSI added: "We would also like to thank Mr Chainrai and his executive management team for their stewardship of Portsmouth Football Club through one of the most difficult times in its history, pre and post-administration last year."

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Edit: I posted something old by mistake, woops.

c0burn fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 5, 2011

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:
For those of you who didn't believe me about United's massive cash pile, there's a nice article on andersred: http://andersred.blogspot.com/2011/06/facts-about-manchester-uniteds-cash.html

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

I never said it would be spent on players, just that we have the cash pile. Same as Arsenal.

Obviously the debt is still a massive worry, but that doesn't mean the business doesn't have cash to spend if need be.

The real question with United is how the gently caress the PIK loans got paid off.

delicious beef fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 13, 2011

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Marcotti's new WSJ article is a pretty good summary on the futility of football for most clubs.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Reports say the Glazers are looking at floating the club on the Hong Kong Stock Exhange valuing the club at 1.7 billion

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Taff posted:

Reports say the Glazers are looking at floating the club on the Hong Kong Stock Exhange valuing the club at 1.7 billion

Getting out before Ferguson leaves the club in limbo is a sage move.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Taff posted:

if this happens make man utd move and play in the hong kong league imo

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

if this happens make man utd move and play in the hong kong league imo

HK Dons

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Half the teams in the Spanish first and second division filed for bankruptcy or are nearing that point (21 out of 42).

And the best thing is: once filed until the 30th of June the club cannot be forcefully relegated (which happens when you cannot pay your player wages) thanks to a loving stupid court ruling, meaning clubs that are financially sane get the shaft.

Go Spain!

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

Moved,

delicious beef posted:

The bond repayments (to bond holders rather than a bank( are counted as exceptionals in the balance sheet and when I read through the documents it wasn't actually clear as to how exceptional items are counted in terms of FFP, especially in the first few years. United have a positive 'break-even', Chelsea don't. If it's break-even that UEFA use then United qualify and Chelsea don't.

I think all the speculation now will be a lot more clear, say, next Summer. I remember from reading the guidelines that UEFA can ask for a lot of documentation to follow the exact money trail so I expect a lot of case-by-case basis. Precedents will be set, decisions made, etc. UEFA is probably aware of the impact holding companies have on club finances so I wouldn't doubt something coming out this year regarding how the finances of the club and holding companies are related to the financial rules.

Or like others mentioned, UEFA will drop it the second they have to kick out a big club.

I found this in the pdf

quote:

Net debt: A club’s net player transfers balance (i.e. net of accounts receivable from players’ transfers and accounts payable from players’ transfers) and net borrowings (i.e. bank overdrafts and loans, owner and/or related party loans and finance leases less cash and cash equivalents). Net debt does not include trade or other payables.

I think holding companies fall into related party.

Annex VI also goes into what you have to disclose and what counts.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

That net debt figure just means that more information might be requested if net debt is more than turnover, it's not something used to pass or fail teams. The relevant bit for United is

quote:

Finance costs include interest and other costs incurred by an entity in respect
of the borrowing of funds, including interest on bank overdrafts and on bank
and other loans, and finance charges in respect of finance leases.
Dividends are distributions to holders of equity instruments. If dividends are
recognised in the financial statements then, regardless of whether the
dividends are presented in the profit and loss account or an alternative
statement, the amount of dividends must be included as relevant expenses.

This means the regular interest payments on the bonds are counted, which is around £45m a year. The one off charge from this year which led to the massive loss won't be counted, and according to andersred's calculations, United would qualify for FFP of the most recent figures, along with Arsenal and Spurs.

The BBC backs this up: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9450671.stm

Like I was saying, United have a positive break-even, even if they have a negative PBT. This might change if the Glazer's started taking out their dividends. Chelsea don't have a positive break-even

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

delicious beef posted:

This means the regular interest payments on the bonds are counted, which is around £45m a year.

By the holding company, right? I guess Part D and E is what deals with this owner/company finances and how it relates to the club.

quote:

The one off charge from this year which led to the massive loss won't be counted, and according to andersred's calculations, United would qualify for FFP of the most recent figures, along with Arsenal and Spurs.

The BBC backs this up: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9450671.stm

Like I was saying, United have a positive break-even, even if they have a negative PBT. This might change if the Glazer's started taking out their dividends. Chelsea don't have a positive break-even

Yeah I see the 121m one-off now. I'm confused why it gets ignored though by UEFA, can you clarify? Also thanks for the mention of andersred, reading the blog now. It seems that the commercial increase is helping United but the blog points out this will be a challenge to maintain.

w00bi fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 21, 2011

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

It looks like Chelsea is -52m in the break even category. Chelsea's staff cost is 173m, 40m higher than the next closest United.

Looking at one of the Chelsea articles this popped out.

quote:

Chelsea's total staff costs rose an eye watering 12.8% [Excluding Scolari payoffs in 08-09] Staff costs are 84% of revenue vs. 46% at United and 47% at Arsenal (and a bonkers 107% at City).

The sacking of Arnesen and a lot of the scouting network should hopefully get that 84% down. And hopefully with the shipping out of older players on large wages this year and the next the 173m will go down. Although the transfers of Torres/Luiz add another 70m to the transfer balance, the bigger issue is going to be the staff cost change the next few years as UEFA starts paying attention. The club also raised ticket prices to try to bump that 67m matchday revenue closer to United's 100m. If you take the ticket price increase with the same attendance you have an increase to 78m matchday revenue (+11m). I doubt the attendance multiplying factor will remain the same so it's probably going to be less than 78m. So staff cost reduction or bust.

w00bi fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 21, 2011

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

Staff costs are going to have to fall for every big team in Europe, it's the real threat to team's survival, especially with growth being several times faster than turnover growth. Wages have utterly exploded in the past few years, and City and Chelsea really haven't helped that (even if they're not paying players £200k a week, they are forcing up wages not just for superstars but also average players on big teams). Revenues will also go up, ticket prices will be squeezed as high as they can be and corporate entertainment will become very very important, but it's wages falling that is vital vital vital.

w00bi posted:

By the holding company, right? I guess Part D and E is what deals with this owner/company finances and how it relates to the club.

Yeah I see the 121m one-off now. I'm confused why it gets ignored though by UEFA, can you clarify? Also thanks for the mention of andersred, reading the blog now. It seems that the commercial increase is helping United most of all but the blog points out this will be a challenge to maintain.

Red Football Ltd makes those payments and loses money, that's the ultimate holding company iirc. Having reread the document I think those payments will be counted, but it might be different if Red Football Ltd also did other things, it would certainly make things more complicated. I wouldn't be surprised if UEFA mandated a corporate structure that makes it very clear what income and costs are associated with the club.

The £121m is what it cost to change over the debt from the old loans to the new bond issue. It was a one-off, 'exceptional', and isn't connected to day-to-day and year-to-year flows of money in and out of the business. The bonds are going to cost around £45m a year in interest and there might be other exceptionals to come if things get rearranged again but United's losses will drop because the PIKs are paid off (nobody knows how). The PIKS were probably paid off this year so as to avoid FFP difficulties.

UEFA are interested in clubs not losing money in their business activities, costs of restructuring aren't really important in that regard. It's like if you were looking at investing in a company and they had bought a smaller company the year before - the cost of that acquisition would make it look like their PBT had dropped, but in reality it wouldn't have changed their ability to make money year on year.

delicious beef fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 21, 2011

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

Yeah I see now why UEFA wouldn't look too hard at the 121m. And even if they did, it won't be there next year when the monitoring starts anyway.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

It's just not relevant because it doesn't impact on the business's ability to make profits doing it's everyday activities.

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

delicious beef posted:

Wages have utterly exploded in the past few years, and City and Chelsea really haven't helped that (even if they're not paying players £200k a week, they are forcing up wages not just for superstars but also average players on big teams). It's wages falling that is vital vital vital.

Yeah, the departures of Michael Ballack, Joe Cole, Juliano Belletti, Ricardo Carvalho will shave ~£20m off that 173m figure. I can imagine Zhirkov, Drogba, Anelka, and Malouda by themselves would take off another huge sum if they all go. Lampard's contract is up in 2013 and Terry's in 2014. They account for ~£17m per year.

w00bi fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 21, 2011

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

w00bi posted:

Yeah, the departures of Michael Ballack, Joe Cole, Juliano Belletti, Ricardo Carvalho will shave ~£20m off that 173m figure. I can imagine Zhirkov, Drogba, Anelka, and Malouda by themselves would take off another huge sum if they all go. Lampard's contract is up in 2013 and Terry's in 2014. They account for ~£17m per year.
But won't they get caught paying huge transfer fees to replace those players? The clubs wages will go down, but I'm not sure it'd be much of a net win. If you cut two players each making a crazy 200k/week, you can only spend 20m to break even over the year. It'll bring down long-term costs, but I don't think long-term is their issue.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

Players coming in won't be on small wages either - what's Torres rumoured to be on?

Wages just have to go down in general across the industry.

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

s0meb0dy0 posted:

But won't they get caught paying huge transfer fees to replace those players? The clubs wages will go down, but I'm not sure it'd be much of a net win. If you cut two players each making a crazy 200k/week, you can only spend 20m to break even over the year. It'll bring down long-term costs, but I don't think long-term is their issue.

If Chelsea buys young players on low(er) wages now they won't have to keep spending in two-three years.

delicious beef posted:

Players coming in won't be on small wages either - what's Torres rumoured to be on?

Torres is probably somewhere around 150k. But both Ramires and Luiz are ~40k. I would expect Lukaku and de Bruyne to be around there. If Modric comes it would probably be around 100k. Can't see Neymar going above 70-80k. The goal has to be getting players under 100k at least. Remember that Chelsea gave Shevchenko and Ballack both 130k when they joined. Those days have to be over.

w00bi fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 21, 2011

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

w00bi posted:

but they've got to replace them as at least four of them are pretty important first team players. If they buy in stars that's the savings pretty much cancelled out, if they actually put faith in some of their better youths and they become the replacements they'll still want wages befitting their squad status relative to other key players after a year or two tops. That's assuming they aren't on stupid wages anyway - Daniel Sturridge, for example, was asking for £75,000 a week from City when he left so he's presumably on at least half that to Not Play For Chelsea Ever

e: Luiz on £40k sounds really really low for a Brazilian international coming from another club where he could have earnt at least very nearly that without moving

Babby Thatcher fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

The problem is that you can't just cut wages inside Chelsea because all your good players will move to City or Madrid where they can get paid more.

w00bi posted:

If Chelsea buys young players on low(er) wages now they won't have to keep spending in two-three years.

Torres is probably somewhere around 150k. But both Ramires and Luiz are ~40k. I would expect Lukaku and de Bruyne to be around there. If Modric comes it would probably be around 100k. Can't see Neymar going above 70-80k. The goal has to be getting players under 100k at least. Remember that Chelsea gave Shevchenko and Ballack both 130k when they joined. Those days have to be over.

Neymar will need massive wages, he's getting paid a fortune at Santos because a bunch of the endorsements are tied to his connection to the club.

• Locked thread