Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Even as a United fan I don't want to see Liverpool cease to exist due to financial reasons. Not that it'll happen of course, but I don't understand why people would want rival clubs to implode for reasons off the pitch. I'd like to see Steven Gerrard score ninety own goals with his left knee and then get red carded for diving, but there's not much joy to be had from lovely owners loving up a club, even if they are your rivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

It's not strictly Redknapp to be fair. If the financial backing hadn't been so awful, there might have been possibilities for the future. Imagine if the Arabs suddenly left City. You wouldn't blame Hughes for buying all those expensive players when the club went belly-up.

Although I do realize Redknapp is a self-serving oval office who signed players on ridiculous contracts. Just saying that if they'd had solid backing, it DID bring in solid results (an FA cup) compared to the costs. City are spending ten times as much and winning nothing so far.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

So basically we agree that there are two issues:

-Redknapp spent too much on wages
-The financial backers were shady scum

Either of these on their own wouldn't be so bad, but combined they led to financial ruin.

Had it only been one of them though, we'd be praising Pompy for breaking the monopoly on the FA cup through smart signings and fighting spirit and all that poo poo and discussing whether they could break into the top 6/7 spots next season.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

DickEmery posted:

Key will be persuading the Glazers to sell

This is the crux of the matter though isn't it. They wont sell.

BUT IF WE WAVE GREEN AND GOLD SCARVES IN THEM FACES THEYLL HAFTA SELL INNIT

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Dudley posted:

Champions League group tickets are half the price they were then, so yes, actually they are, admittedly only after the Rosenberg embarrassment but still it's more than a lot of clubs have done (Blackburn was trying to get £40 for a Carling cup match last I looked). In fairness I should mention Arsenal for this, who were offering very decently priced tickets for the Carling cup match I saw there, even if their organisation (which involved allocating about 5 minutes for 20,000 people to pick up tickets from the box office and then not delaying the match when it didn't work) was hilarious.

Regardless I mentioned it merely as a point that, from the point of view of the guy who actually goes to the odd game *REAL FANS*, then actually the regimes had its benefits compared to those elsewhere.

Rosenborg

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

holybartender posted:

Why has it been so difficult for him to get a passport?

More importantly, why is it so important to him?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I don't understand why Arsenal pay their players at all if they don't win things. Let's say Robin van Persie is on 100k/week. Drop him to 0 and tell him he'll get a quid for every goal he scores. To match his old salary he'll have to bang in a hundred thousand goals every weekend. Once he starts doing that, I can't see how Arsenal could do anything but win the league and the CL. I don't understand how a professional apartment company like Arsenal haven't thought of this

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

The PIKs are the Glazers personal debt, not the debt they dumped on United. They have probably just taken out another loan.

The debt payments on this debt will have been coming straight out of Uniteds pockets anyway, so it is a load off. There's speculation that a lot of the cash used to pay off the debt has come from United as well, but I'd still rather we have no transfer budget the next couple windows but fewer long-term debt issues than spend the 80m from the Ronaldo sale and then do a Leeds.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Well to be fair, the fact that it was leveraged doesn't strictly speak against him. The 591254 other points where he's being a retard do though.

In bizarro world where he has an actual case, he'd be owed the difference between the market value of the club and whatever value it's sold for against his will. The debt on the club is a separate issue.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The really funny sideeffect of the market value vs actual sale price dilemma happens when you're dealing with prices from both before and after the economic crisis hit.

I was at a trial a couple months ago where an old lady was swindled into selling her house for £400k even though it was appraised at £520k. She backed out of the deal after signing a contract, at which point the buyer sued her. Originally he sued her for the rights to buy the house at £400k still, but the lawsuit went past the point of the crisis, at which point he changed her claim to the £120k in cash he claimed he could have made by flipping the house instantly. I don't really blame him, as the house had fallen to £330k in market value at that point.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Lord Harris of Peckham walks into a bar

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Falls through it, surely?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IBgk05iL3Y

sorry, yes

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm not a professional footballer but could be called up by england if they wanted to.

err I'm pretty sure you couldn't seeing as you're a registered rower.

I, on the other hand, could play for England, as I don't row.

I'm not English but you get my point surely

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Not sure if that's still the rule. I think the team are just given x amount of medals to hand out, or maybe it's players who've played a certain amount and a few extras. If I remember right, that's how Larson got one for United.

As I recall it, clubs are given one for everyone on 10 games or more (sub appearances of 1 minute included) and they can then apply for special dispensation for further medals for players they believe have aided in the campaign but not played 10 games, which is what United did for Larsson.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

peanut- posted:

No reason for City to support it - they have all the money they want anyway, and ending collective bargaining would just serve to make their immediate rivals richer and more able to compete.

They'd be allowed to spend more money in spite of FFP though, so they'd stand to gain from it. I'm glad United are saying no, it's a disgusting suggestion.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Based on the last bolded bit though, EU are going to loving destroy the FCR. No way is that kosher with what the EU are doing elsewhere.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Duggimon is right though, if it was changed to include foreign clubs, the EU could care less about the rest. That one point though is so severely against european treaties that I'm pretty sure I could win that case in the european courts myself..

E: NOT GOING TO, THOUGH, DON'T WORRY

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Jose posted:

People realise that just because Redknapp can't spell and his writing is poo poo doesn't mean he can't read right? My handwriting is illegible to almost anyone else and I know loads of people who can't spell for poo poo

Yes but Finn has given like 10 of us here on TRP access to edit your posts into legible English after you post them, otherwise noone would ever read, let alone reply to, your posts. You can't tell Finn I told you this though. It's part of the secret Geordie Outreach program.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

When was the last time Rangers was out of Scotlands top division?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

willkill4food posted:

The truth is that a £100k a week player at Arsenal is probably a £150k a week player elsewhere.

Not that I in any way agree with or care about the article as a whole but that discrepancy is clearly covered within the manager variable mentioned in the quote.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Someone post that photoshop Liverpool fans did when the deal was announced where the logo said Standards Ruined, tia

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

TyChan posted:

It was "Standards Corrupted" and it was intended as a protest statement against Hicks and Gillett.

Close enough eh

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds rather weird:

trem_two posted:

Lazarus said the remaining 180 games (EPL clubs play games that do not count toward league standings)

I mean.. I can only assume they're talking about FA/League cup games because anythign else would be just entirely daft, but then neither cup is mentioned anywhere in that release at all.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

Also, does it not matter if the game is sold out? I hate to bring up the NFL, but here the game is only blacked out if there are remaining tickets. That seems a bit more reasonable.

The NFL doesn't have lower leagues that needs the attendance too, which is the key reason for the blackouts.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Change format entirely:

Every weekend, at 8 in the morning on saturday, The Game starts. Two randomly drawn teams from the English League du Soleil commence playing eachother at Wembley. Every hour, two new teams take their place. Keep rotating this until monday morning at 8. 72 hours of non stop football! There's 20 teams in the league so each team would have to play every 9 hours, leaving plenty of time for sleep. And since The Game would be on all the time, there'd be no reason to choose between Asia and the Americas. The Game is for everyone!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

St Evan Echoes posted:

This but winner stays on

poo poo, yes.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Guesstimate Crohns posted:

the fa ring up your accountant and call him bad names

They'll have to be careful what they call Chelsea or they'll have a complaint on their hand

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

That puts him right about 180k/week if I'm reading it correctly, seems fairly close to those FM estimates.

E:
Carlos Tevez - £180,000
Yaya Toure - £180,000
David Sliva - £160,000
Samir Nasri - £140,000
Edin Dzeko - £120,000
Vincent Kompany - £120,000
Kolo Toure - £120,000
Sergio Aguero - £120,000
Javi Garcia - £110,000
Maicon - £110,000
Mario Balotelli - £100,000
Joleon Lescott - £94,000
Gael Clichy - £90,000
James Milner - £85,000
Gareth Barry - £80,000
Joe Hart - £80,000
Matija Nastasic - £75,000
Pablo Zabaleta - £70,000
Aleksandar Kolarov - £65,000
Micah Richards - £60,000
Jack Rodwell - £55,000
Scott Sinclair - £55,000
Costel Pantilimon - £20,000
John Guidetti - £10,000

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Chelsea saying they made £28 mil profit on their transfers seems perfectly reasonable. Now excuse me while I drive my flying car to the moon for a milkshake.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

willkill4food posted:

They had £28m in player sales, not net. That includes Matic, Jack Cork, Zhirkov, Mancienne, Gokhan Tore, Rajkovic, Alex and Anelka.

Then perhaps they should stop learning the meaning of words from Bitcoin people because the club literally used the word 'profit'.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Didion posted:

£100 million, which players are you guys talking of to reach that sum?

Edit:

Can I ask your reasoning for finding this unbelievable?

I'm sorry but if you're arguing on the side of Chelsea being fiscally prudent, the burden of proof rests firmly on your shoulders. Tell me in a thousand words or less how they're anywhere NEAR a "profit" of 1 pound on transfers let alone 28 million.

E: Clarification

The Mash fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 23, 2012

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

They were talking about David Moyes being 'the best paid Premier League manager' on Talksport yesterday. I guess that's not true then?

The only way that would be true would be Wage As A Percentage Of Transfer Budget

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The best ever Brøndby moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLJnd1kJRss

Grouped with Bayern, Barca and United in the 98-99 CL, they managed to mega-fluke a win in their first game vs Bayern, courtesy of this brilliant Allan Ravn goal, while United and Barca drew in the other game. As a result, Brøndby were top of the group after the first round and all the Danish papers went mental with hype over how far Brøndby would go. It all came crashing down of course and Brøndby got utterly stuffed in the other five games.

Bonus info: Brøndby was the only team in that group NOT represented in the final as it was played at Camp Nou between Bayern and United.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If he sticks around for another 15 years?

We're gonna have to train more managers.

How long does it take for a burned bridge to rebuild itself? There's talks now of Mourinho returning and I reckon in another couple of years, he could just do the full Grant/Scolari/Hiddink/AVB/RDM/Benitez cycle again too

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

You missed out Ancelotti.

oh for fucks sake

It's like a revolving door isn't it

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Allyn posted:

Portsmouth are officially out of administration, hooray!

The mutilated corpse of football twitches!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Hegav posted:

Ok think I found the explanation for the tax credit. They registered their holding company in the Cayman Islands when they listed on NYSE. Here's their corporate structure

football is dead.png

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Say you pay 100M in taxes one year, and then calculation the next year shows you really only should have paid 40M,

This happens to me all the time to be fair

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Honest question, how much of the commercial revenue is from sponsorships related to Citys owners? That's always been the obvious way of getting around FFP rules and the article doesn't mention that aspect at all. Matchday and broadcasting revenue going up is definitely a good thing for City either way, at least as far as meeting FFP goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Also, there's very little skill distinction when it comes to nurses. The Lionel Messi of diaper changing, spongebaths and IVs isn't going to be attractive enough to other hospitals to warrant offering outrageous salaries in order to poach him or her.

• Locked thread