Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MrBling posted:

Lots of stuff on the guardian site about Kroenke, but the only interesting bit is this one.

And it's still just speculation.

I think he probably does have enough cash, and if he doesn't then his wife does (she's a Walmart heiress) but he also has to sell two of the four other sports teams he owns. He bought the St. Louis Rams last year and the NFL doesn't allow you to own major US sports teams in other cities. MLS doesn't count as major per NFL rules, but he has to give up control of his NBA and NHL teams by 2014. I imagine that will net him a decent amount of money.

Also Kroenke usually doesn't do any meddling in the way his teams are run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Why's that?

I assume something to do with having owners who are actually invested in the success of the team and aren't just there to make money. They forbid corporate owners as well.

wicka fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 11, 2011

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

euroboy posted:

it's not a done deal yet, i don't know anything about him and considering other high profile american owners in the premier league i don't think it's unreasonable to be a bit cautious about this.

Like I said before, he's historically been a very hands-off owner, and all early indications are that nothing in the day-today running of the club will change (e.g. Hill-Wood is staying on as chairman).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Couch posted:

Someone (not me) wrote something about his ownership and the general theme was that they were doing well independently of his ownership.

Investing in and building the stadium was entirely his choice, though, and it means he's willing to spending a couple hundred million dollars on the team without getting any major short-term return.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TyChan posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ol-of-club.html

The Arsenal Supporters Trust is not going to accept Kroenke's offer and is encouraging others not do so either. I'm not sure if this really means much, but they seem to be big believers that no one person should own the club.

It doesn't mean anything other than they want to keep their tiny, irrelevant amount of shares. Kroenke will own 60+ percent of the club regardless of whether or not the AST and Usmanov sell, it's a non-issue.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Masonity posted:

The difference between 99.9% ownership and 100% ownership is that in the former case the minority shareholders can sue the owner if he runs the club to their detriment, stopping him from taking huge dividends to pay back external debts.

75% and 90% are the real magic numbers though. At 75% he could do a Glazers and internalise debt, and at 90% he could compulsory purchase all outstanding shares.

That's assuming he'd do any of those things anyway of course.

You can't blame anyone for being skeptical but it's nonetheless bizarre to look at a guy who owns several other sports teams and expect him to run Arsenal in entirely different way simply because other foreign owners have hosed up in the past.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Aside from lifting the trophy did the rapids ever look like champions last season to you? And the stadium is a multi-purpose venue for many KSE vehicles. Lacrosse, football, soccer, concerts, etc... There's also a reason it says colorado and not rapids on the seats. It's a KSE stadium, not a Rapids stadium.

He doesn't even own the stadium.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

HinderedUseless posted:

I can't think of an individual that straight up owns a stadium in the US.

Robert Kraft

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MoPZiG posted:

ESPN just put up an interesting chart stating who is the highest paid athlete country by country.

Makes a good read. Man City truly is a king maker.

quote:

"Annual Salary" represents only base salary from the most recently completed season or calendar year from each sport, and excludes any other source of compensation

All of their Formula 1 figures are grossly inflated, those are most assuredly not base salaries they have listed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TomSellek posted:

Why do F1 drivers get paid so much?

Like I said, that article is incredible misleading. They probably make that much after endorsements, but ESPN claims that's all base salary (i.e. only the money they get from the teams) and that's not true.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MoPZiG posted:

ESPN just put up an interesting chart stating who is the highest paid athlete country by country.

Makes a good read. Man City truly is a king maker.

quote:

Vietnam Lee Nguyen soccer Vietnam, Becamex Binh Duong 180,000 $1,058

Lee Nguyen is actually American.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TyChan posted:

Here's a bit of a cross-post from the EPL thread. Liverpool apparently just struck the largest kit deal in UK football history.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1379466/Liverpools-mammoth-25m-year-Warrior-kit-deal-rewrites-record-books.html

I'm sorry it's a Daily Mail link, but I don't have a Times subscription.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm curious what this company's plan is. They currently make only lacrosse and hockey gear. I guess this is an interesting way to make a splash. All their clothes look pretty normal, but this is definitely branching out for them.

http://warriorsports.com/index.html

That's...odd.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Arsenal released their financial statements: http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/documents/sep_12/gun__1348755692_ARSENAL_HOLDINGS_PLC_year_end_.pdf

Property turnover down, football turnover up, world keeps turning.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Mash posted:

I mean.. I can only assume they're talking about FA/League cup games because anythign else would be just entirely daft, but then neither cup is mentioned anywhere in that release at all.

I came to that conclusion as well, but the wording is extremely confusing. I also didn't know cup TV rights were sold in the same package as the PL.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rycalawre posted:

And if you are a shareholder you get free entry to home games if you are ever in Asturias.

Well I am 100% pissing away some money on this.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ninpo posted:

Perhaps if Arsenal weren't doing this:

Then ticket prices wouldn't need to be so high and starting players could still be paid a wage that they actually earn. Not to mention the massive wages their youngsters get paid.

Half of those players are on loan.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

....so....?

We're not paying all of those wages.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Last season only Bendtner and Denilson were out on loan. Also, having only four completely useless players on ~60k wages isn't much of a consolation at all. Especially when there's no sign anybody is eventually going to pick them up.

That's nice. But four of those players are getting paid by other clubs, and three of the other four (not Santos) are out of contract at the end of this season. So it's not really a problem that's remotely worth discussing. Plus, it's pretty disingenuous to suggest that ticket prices would fall if the eight of them suddenly left. Arsenal are basically averaging a sellout across all competitions, they're not going to lower ticket prices out of the kindness of their hearts.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ninpo posted:

Oh right, I didn't realise those laughable contracts were signed in a vacuum and that Arsenal haven't done it with players before and won't again.

How much was Almunia on again?

You are correct, Arsenal's financial situation has been and always will be exactly the same.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TelekineticBear! posted:

I think soldiers and nurses should get paid more than footballers

i was going to suggest that maybe they would if people filled 80,000 seat stadiums to watch people nurse and fight wars but then i remembered gladiators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

That's because their point of reference is major American sports teams, most of which are very profitable.

No, they are not.

• Locked thread