Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
The Glazers' business model is borrow money using the club/ground as collateral then put themselves on the payroll.

So they get a fat paycheck and the club has to make huge interest payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...

Fat Turkey posted:

I'm surprised there's not more discussion about this.

In a year when you win your national league, a league cup, the World Club Cup and come 2nd in the Champions' League, and STILL come out with a £32m loss, and require selling off your capital assets to pull a profit, then it smells like there is something hideously wrong with your business model.

That's a fantastic season in anyone's books. For it to be not enough to keep you profitable, something is broken.

We already knew, the Glazers have taken out retardedly stupid loan deals to finance the buy out, and now the club have to pay huge interest on them.

As soon as they get these PIKs covered with lower interest loans they will be fine.

I don't think selling Ronaldo has much to do with turning a profit, it's a drop in the ocean as far as the debt is concerned and even if we hadn't sold him we would have lost less money than Chelsea, it was just too good a price to turn down.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...

Fat Turkey posted:

I might be wrong but from reading this paragraph, I get the idea that you think the idea of the club having debt is bad. This is not true. The debt a football club can have needn't be any worse than the debt you enter when you buy a mortgage. They don't NEED to sell off capital assets to pay off the debt ASAP in a perfect world, because the business is financed to gradually pay off or at the very least maintain the level of debt+interest. The problem stems from the fact that Man Utd can have a fantastic seaosn and still be £33m in the shitter.

Also, it didn't lessen your debt at all, it just made you more liquid.

That was pretty much my point, saying that we had to sell Ronaldo to cover debt is dumb, 'cos it doesn't even come close.

Getting a mortgage to buy a house is not bad debt, as long as you can afford the payments, we can't right now, that's why they are trying to cover these high interest PIKs, which will escalate from $100m to $500m with lower interest loans.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...

TyChan posted:

I don't think it's just United fans who need to be reminded of this. Your point is exactly what I was trying to drill into brapbrapbrap's head in the EPL thread earlier this week. I don't think it stuck.

That's because he's a myopic united hating moron.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...

brapbrapbrap posted:

What I'm saying is that it's very easy for Man Utd fans to say they want their club to be relegated to get back to grass roots, owned by the fans etc (and this is not the first time I've heard this view expressed), as they can posture and pretend to be REAL FANS when in reality they're comfortable in the knowledge that it'll almost certainly never happen.

And it also makes them hypocrites because if they REALLY did want to go back to grass roots etc they'd piss off and support FC United. But they don't because that would mean giving up £30 million players, Champions League etc. Hypocrites.

Yes, the obvious solution to the problem of having greedy owners who are bankrupting the club whilst lining their own pcokets is to support another club.

Genius.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
Yes, encouraging clubs to be fiscally responsible insead of spunking money like a lottery winning chav indicates a a clear anti city bias.

I mean they're the only club to spend a ridiculous amount of money on players recently, right?

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

It's more that they're banging on about trying to secure the long-term stability of clubs while the regulations would do more damage to City when it's pretty clear that our long term stability is probably looking better than yours at this moment in time.

This is also complete moon logic:
Seems reasonable to put a stop to clubs like Chelsea, city and to a lesser extent Real pumping huge amounts of money into a club and artificially driving up transfer prices and wages in an attempt to buy short term success.

They're not saying you can't invest in the club, just that, if you do, you have to return a profit on it.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

especially as Arsenal had an amazing team to play with while the academy started up

Arsene's method of becoming a top four team.

First start with a top two team and sell your best players.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

Vladimir Weiss is off at Rangers to get experience

Yeah he's getting experience of the bench.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
why isn't MOTD available on iplayer or is it now, and if so, how can I watch it from the US?

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
If David Luiz is on 40k he must have a worse agent (or the same?) as van der Vaart

And lol 60k for Sturridge to literally not play

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...

w00bi posted:

I think I remember Sturridge saying he came to Chelsea to win stuff. And he already has two medals so he probably thinks he made the right choice.

what did Bolton win?

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

also, 13 minutes in each season

so £13k a minute, surprised more teams weren't jumping on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...