Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
It would be nice if there was even an atom of light in this plethora of poo to make us feel better. As it is, we're coming up to a year of financial insecurity and boardroom hijinks where the only plus point has been beating Liverpool 2:0 - and even that might be erased from history.

Winning the Cup was nice (not to mention it was also a laugh leading against AC Milan 2:0 in a competitive game) but losing the club over it doesn't quite seem worthwhile.

Gaydamak can gently caress right off really. He had two options when it came to selling up and he chose Al Fahim, which kick-started the merry go round of awfulness. To complain about the confusion of ownership when he's a pretty significant contributing factor negates any sympathy for his missing £30 mil. A part of me hopes we go into administration sooner rather than later so he can do one.

I don't think I've been aware of who our next game is against since the start of the season. There's genuinely no point in having an interest in what's going on on the pitch as it doesn't matter, we're not going to make it to the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
I still can't quite work out how we managed to get the embargo partially lifted. We are just completely and utterly buggered, we're going to be playing with jumpers for goalposts next.

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
But that contradicts what our directors have been saying, that we don't need to sell players. How odd.

I think most Pomp fans have expected Kaboul to leave for a while now, and whilst he is our best player, I'm more wary of losing Begovic now. He's proven to be a top notch keeper that has prevented us from being embarassed a few times this season. That's not to say that we are currently going down with our dignity intact, but it's not as if we're losing 5:0 to Wigan week in week out as of yet.

edit: gently caress me

13.18 Skysports.com understands Tottenham are closing in a move for Portsmouth goalkeeper Asmir Begovic.

Badgerman fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 28, 2010

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
It was more of a pisstake at how horrible a job the board has done in taking a Premier League club and forcing them to fold before they were even relegated.

I really don't know what to make of Storrie, I'm sure he's ate a lot of poo poo being where he is, but if it's true that he's one of the highest paid Chief Execs then I'm struggling to find any sympathy for the bloke.

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
I'm interested in how we expect to gather £60m from selling Belhadj, Wilson and Boateng. There's not £10m there.

Hmmm, football is poo poo again.

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
It's pretty sad that the most viable option for our survival rests in another club purchasing us so as to pip another club to 4th in the league.

We should have gone into administration a while back really. Now our only hope is to just sell anything not nailed down, at which point we can't field a squad and it's game over anyway.

It's going to be bizarre if we do go out of business. Not having a club to follow after the circus that has been Portsmouth all of these years is going to be hard to adjust to. I might just follow Newcastle to try and mimic the experience.

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?

ibroxmassive posted:

But you won't get the experience of not being able to move anywhere in town on a saturday or gunwharf banning people in football tops or watching bitter fat men mumbling about playing harder as they walk back from the pub*.

*Ok the last one but still.

I'm rather fortunate in that I no longer live in Portsmouth, but that kind of buggers me over in the event of an AFC Wimbledon scenario. Whilst it would be a laugh for Portsmouth to continue in the 3rd tier of the women's basket-weaving division, it's going to be nigh on impossible to follow the regular goings on.

Hopefully someone makes a film or a book or something about the demise of the club though because it's a cracking story. It's been incredible watching my club die at the hands of Franco-Russian arms dealers, Engish (and Serbian) tax dodgers and possibly the only Arabs about without a penny.

Storrie, Redknapp, Gaydamaks Jr & Snr, Fahim, Faraj, Jacobs, Chanrai etc. have all left us up the duff really.

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
Christ, I've done my best to avoid stories on our financial crisis but listening to this 5live forum is just a loving train wreck. Local businesses that have done work for the club haven't been paid and they're having to take legal action, at which point the club hastily work out a monthly payment schedule only to fob them off after 1 payment.

And Sol Campbell, what a charitable guy. Fair play, what with him being offered daft money, but the idea that he will be one of the first to be paid if the club does get liquidated is beyond depressing.

And Azougy... a convicted fraudstar who was in control of our finances for a few months last year. I've got no idea how I glossed over him.

It's just really loving sad at the end of the day. We buy half of Spurs, sell them all back (as well as a few others) and we still end up owing them money. Complete loving incompetence people at every level of the club except for probably Avram Grant.

Hooray, it's over. Hopefully we're laid to rest soon as we've now had a year of this nonsense and we all know that there's not going to be a happy ending.

Badgerman fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 18, 2010

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
It took way too long for this to happen.

I hate my club.

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?

Jose posted:

Well yes but I'm sure Portsmouth had a whole team of accounts bleating away that they were hosed if they didn't change for a long time.

I don't know really, Storrie has said recently that he should have personally stopped Gaydamak from going through with a few transfers but he decided against it. Even then, I can't imagine many accounts-minded folk extolling the viability of such deals even back then. That makes me think that there might have been a few people on the sidelines that raised the issue of a rather large black hole in our finances, only for Storrie to overrule them.

What's awful is that I cannot point to anyone at the club whom I can think has the best interests of the club at heart. Avram Grant is the only person there who seems to have the slightest inkling of what this means to the fans, and he's been there for a few months . Most of the players we currently have we do not own. The rest we sold and the players that actually played for the shirt are long gone. Gary O'Neil and Matty Taylor were probably two of the biggest fan favourite types we had and we flogged them cheap just to keep us going that little bit longer.

It's been a non-stop shower of poo poo for over a year now with our best players being sold, incompetent managers being hired by incompetent board members, absolutely diabolical PR work, shady investors, corrupt staff, tax evasion charges etc. etc.. Everyone involved behind the scenes seems to be in it only to further their own ends - Gaydamak pretty much killed us but the only reason we haven't been left to fold is that there are so many people that expect a return from a failing football club.

I've spent the past year waiting for this time to come, but now we're going to be dragged bollock-naked through the mud just to finish us off. We're going to be left with a below-average Championship squad in a few months and we'll be lucky to maintain that come next season.

poo poo.

edit: Also I have to say it's utter tripe saying that other clubs are going to go face a similar fate in the near future. We have been so horribly mis-managed that we have several different partied that lay claim to different aspects of the club. Funnily enough West Ham have a far greater debt that us, but they have the luxury of having an all-roofed stadium as well as being situated in an area where rich cunts just roll in for the sake of it. We are just hosed and are beyond an unattractive proposition to new investors. We don't have anything going for us and we are about to drop like a loving stone from this point onwards.

Badgerman fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 27, 2010

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
Ahah, literally as it seemed that we were beginning to turn the corner. I knew we were still hosed but I kind of thought that it wouldn't come to this.

By the sounds of it Gaydamak is just interested in forcing the club into oblivion... Great.

Who to support next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
That feels like glory hunting at this point.

• Locked thread