Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Couch posted:

Surely they aren't that hard up? Don't you basically have to be in administration to not get the license?

Didn't they change the rules post Portsmouth and now you have to provide financials that show you can operate for the coming season? Apparently Yeung is mortgaging poo poo like crazy to put more money into the club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

delicious beef posted:

Did Arsenal really predict constantly rising matchday income? Because at some point you can't really charge more money, inflation apart.

Hey man people will pay crazy money to see that fancy dan tippy tappy football.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MattWPBS posted:

Little bit of paper saying "we tried to give you a scarf, but you were out".

loving hell. :laugh: :golfclap:

The free scarf:

edit: not all screens are 1920 pixels wide.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 2, 2011

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

delicious beef posted:

Season ticket prices will never come down in nominal terms unless the team totallly collapses, and they're unlikely to ever drop in real terms, especially with wages rising so strongly.

In terms of the Glazers taking money out, I think we'll have to see what happens because of the IPO, I don't think it's clear yet what the money will be used for or if we'll be paying dividends regularly on those shares. Remember we're paying £50m or so in interest and debt repayment each year, that coulf easily go to the Glazers, though I suspect they'll be cautious, try and build a larger cash pile to solve any on-pitch issues quickly. The other question is if they'll hang on to the club when the debt is cleared, we'll be in a very strong position, especially if their money spinning efforts keep paying dividends, so they could do very well in a sale.

Also for all the financial and on-pitch health, we've had over £450m come out of the club to cover the debt, and that doesn't count paying ofd the PIKs, which is still a mystery. That's enough money to buy the players that would have allowed us to compete with Barca and make it a contest.

Have United ever gone on any kind of crazy spending spree to topple a rival though? When Juventus were arguably one of the best teams in Europe, if memory serves me there was only two marquee signings the year we won the treble in Yorke and Stam?

Yes there have been big signings but they've usually come good or gotten rid of quickly when not. Apart from Veron I can't think of any expensive flops and Veron wasn't exactly gash, he just didn't really fit.

Ferguson has always preferred to bring through youth or buy young and it's paid off. One of the first things he did when he came to United was completely reorganise the youth system, it was always the idea to develop internally when possible. Not even the best youth systems produce a "class of 92" every year.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TyChan posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/sep/19/everton-broadcast-income-mortgage

This is an interesting move by Everton. I don't know how closely they'll be skirting relegation either this season or the next, but it's always a risk to bet on getting broadcast income that far ahead of time. Didn't Leeds United do this under Risdale?

Leeds did it with Champions League money, iirc. Everton are currently a side that should be comfortably in the top half of the table at the end of this season, next season too unless they lose Cahill/Coleman/Baines/Jagielka in some kind of "oh poo poo we're broke" fire sale.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

i dunno i guess if they can prove he refused to play they can sack him for gross misconduct and i hope they do because they don't need him anymore and if anyone is going to fire a shot across the bows of players misbehaving it's city since united caved in to rooney

Yeah look how horribly that turned out for us

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Galley slaves on hundreds of thousands of pounds a week.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
People forgetting that Rooney's contract was up for renewal and if it was not renewed Rooney would have left for either a drastically reduced fee or even free later on, itt.

greazeball posted:

Usually saying sorry and admitting you were wrong doesn't result in you getting the thing you are supposedly sorry about and are now saying is wrong.

How did United "give" Rooney a wish to leave or a belief there was a lack of ambition at the club, as those were the things he was wrong about idgi

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mickolution posted:

Do you really believe he reckoned United lacked ambition though? It was about money.

Do you really believe everything else you're saying happened? Newsflash, agents feed bullshit to the press all the time. Rooney apologised and he's performing for the club so I don't give a poo poo.

That said, the "ambition" statement isn't necessarily all that outlandish I believe the last major signing United made prior to the contract bollocks was Berbatov?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao Liverpool haven't even broken back into the top four yet and they already think they can get more cash from Sky than the rest of the none top fours?

gently caress the gently caress off.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

8raz posted:

And as we all know, the current top four are always the most profitable.

:what:

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

8raz posted:

I don't see what's so hard to understand.

The post you initially replied to, apparently.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

United posted pre-tax losses of like £80m in 09-10. City followed suit with £130m in losses over the same period. Granted, the latter was not in the top four, but that trend isn't likely to change. Maybe you're thinking of revenue?

What the hell has any of what you or 8raz said, got to do with me basically saying "Lol, Liverpool want to try and angle for more money off Sky already, they're not even back in the top four yet"?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Oh Em Gee posted:

Who the gently caress thinks its a great idea to build a team on loans? Surely they will just flounder in the bottom half of the table while their revolving door of mercenary cunts struggle to play with any sense of unity.

The guy who stands to make a fucktruckton of money from it obviously. Isn't Willie the guy in the dock with 'Arry?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jollzwhin posted:

He was Barton and Ireland's agent amongst others and our new owners pretty much banned him from the club.

...and yet Joorabchian..

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

"an unprecedented £800m"

:stare:

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

cheshire?

I can't tell if you're being an idiot or this is a poor joke, but the Etihad isn't in Cheshire.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Already posted this in the Premier League thread, but maybe it should go here too, a new kit deal should go someway to getting City closer to FFP if it's true.

Its worth £26million a year, the same figure that Umbro pay the FA to make the national team shirts. A ridiculous jump from the £6million a year we currently get.

Still its in the Star on Sunday, so almost certainly bollocks.

I hate to break this to you, but £26m less whatever the old kit deal was, isn't going to make much of a dent at all in City's hilarious overspending.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I hate to break it to you, but the multi-multi-multi billionaire Arabs who own Manchester City don't give a gently caress.

UEFA will. Or are you expecting UEFA to back pedal on the whole FFP thing?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Reminder that FLJ is a Manchester United fan. The same Manchester United that enjoyed several years of unopposed financial dominance as a result of a league structure heavily weighed in their favour, who is now complaining because Manchester City are spending at a level that his heavily indebted club cannot hope to match.

Irony, delicious etc.

I know you think it's evil that United became a PLC but how was the league structure in our favour?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

The massive influx of Sky money that ensured that the top stayed there until a Russian gangster, a chicken farmer or an oil sheikh buys their place from them?

Also I don't think that's evil tbh.

I don't see any difference between prize and tv money, and money invested by a new owner.

The Sky money was evenly distributed though?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Prove it.

:laugh:

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Thought not.

It's general knowledge the TV rights are evenly distributed, if you claim otherwise the burden is on you to prove otherwise.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So what are "Facility Fees" and "Merit Payments"? Genuine question because some of those gaps are pushing £20m you'd expect clubs on the thin end of the wedge to complain more, considering the TV agreement is supposed to be equal.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Citing the breaking of transfer records is sensationalist strawman nonsense. Newcastle have broken it too, what the gently caress have they won? Jack Walker gave Blackburn a blank chequebook and got precisely one trophy from it and they wouldn't even have got that if Cantona hadn't decided to add "being a violent steward" to his CV.

The most successful periods in United history, including the dominance of the 90s has been on the back of the youth academy and a sound talisman or two to build the team around, not buying All The Players. To compare Fergie's transfer policy post 94 with anything remotely resembling Chelsea or City is loving ludicrous. Pre 94 United were looking to challenge for the league title while also rebuilding the youth academy from the ground up. Claiming United bought the trophies they got is utter crap.

There's also a world of loving difference between making money via football and football merchandising and happening to be the club some bored rich oval office picked.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 22, 2011

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Spangly A posted:

thank god that the process of being a football club includes being handed wads of money by sky execs, that's totally different from being handed wads of money by arabs

For televised FOOTBALL. Are you brain damaged? Were you this indignant about the televised football money West Ham got from Sky? You've only been without it for five minutes. Where do you think your parachute payments came from, the moon?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

There is no difference between what Manchester United have done for the last 20 years, and what Manchester City are doing now.

Flaps this is utterly ridiculous.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

It's absolutely not. You're blinkered.

It is and given your usual opinions on all things football, you know it is. You're trotting out ridiculous ABU rhetoric at this point. Making the most out of your own marketing potential and running your club as a sound business is worlds apart from random bored rich bottomless pockets oil boya buying an expensive toy to play with.

Spangly A posted:

Your ninja edits are always funny but lol are you saying I should be grateful for the fact that my club is paid a pitiful sum by sky to attempt to stave off the insolvency problem that is a direct result of their interference in football because this is a new level of stupid

Wait, Sky are why clubs have money problems now? Yet you're calling me stupid? A second ago Sky give away far too much money.

However if you think 20m is what would have turned dead last into championship contenders...

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

What point are you trying to make? Try making it in one sentence.

I think he's saying you're a oval office if you equate running an entire club with a bottomless pit of blood money, with a club getting money out of Nike owned sweatshops then stand back and say "yeah exactly the same".

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
CSI Portsmouth :xd:

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Ted posted:

Let's travel off to Spain to see how La Liga clubs are finding ways to raise money in a tough economic environment...

Ahahahaha loving incredible

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Saurus posted:

My bad, I meant if they can't pay their players and aren't allowed to sell their players until the end of the season, it massively fucks them over because they have to let a bunch of people go for a free instead of getting money for them because of the dumb as hell transfer window rules.

There's nothing wrong with the transfer window.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah...

There's nothing wrong with the transfer window.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Saurus posted:

The transfer window might be fine but there should be special dispensation built in for clubs that are in financial trouble

Perhaps clubs should be run better rather than granting them special rules when they contrive to go down the shitter, while other clubs who might, say, have an injury crisis, are still restricted by transfer windows.

If you want to campaign for rule changes to stop clubs going into administration/financial problems, then hop on the "Make the fit and proper owner test less of a loving joke" bandwagon.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Clubs with injury problems are allowed dispensation though.

Emergency loans though right? Not buy/sell.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lot 49 posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/17/manchester-united-debt-glazers

United's 3rd quarter results are out.

Summary: Over the last nine months the Glazers have taken £250,000 per day out of United (for interest payments and bond buy backs) but that wasn't enough to stop the total debt increasing by £26m.

Yeah but we fell out of the Champions League retardedly early. Also financial reports bitching about using cash to pay off debt is loving retarded. Debt costs more interest than cash can accrue at the moment, getting shot of debt thus reducing interest paid saves more money in the long run.

Think about it. You have a credit card with a balance of 10,000 owing at 18% APR. Would you sit on savings of 5,000 earning 6% APR, or use it to cut a big loving chunk out of the interest the credit card is making off you?

Yes the Glazers are cunts and yes they've saddled the club with debt up to the eyeballs but when reports for reporting's sake say dumb poo poo like United ditched £61.2m of debt but OMG cash is down it's annoying and is written to make dumb fans angry.

e: the fact you fell for it proves my point. Money owed dropped from £484.5m to £423.3m, yet because obviously significant amounts of cash went into doing that, as well as a sizable transfer budget last summer, you're saying total debt increased. What? Interest on 60+ million is not an insignificant amount of money.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 17, 2012

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The Glazers are cunts. However they're obviously cunts that are here to make money on their purchase. They're going to make less money if United is less successful. Getting the debt down/reducing interest/increasing revenue channels is and has been the order of business for some time.

It's bad, it could be worse, they could be H+G.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I think it's as simple as that tbh.

Yeah. Complete and utter incompetence.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

GutBomb posted:

don't have capacity for adding more HD (pretty much all of the terrestrial cable providers like Comcast or Verizon)

They would if they stopped broadcasting in MPEG2 the fuckin Luddites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheGoatFeeder posted:

So, United have listed themselves on the New York stock exchange, I have no idea what that REALLY means for the club. I'm assuming it is a way for them to raise funds to service their debts, which seems perfectly reasonable.

However, the United fans I know are freaking out massively and talking like its the end of the world, what am I missing? I get that there is something in there about them acknowledging that they could find it difficult to compete for top players, and top managers, am I right in assuming that is the more worrying part as opposed to the actual stock market listing?

Those same fans would be the ones that got mad that we were no longer publicly traded when the Glazers took over.

If the IPO is successful it'll raise ~60m quid which will reportedly go straight into paying down debt.

It's a better idea than yet another refinance.

• Locked thread