Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Would the top clubs really revolt if the FA cup winner was given an automatic champions league berth? All that effort for £2 million is ridiculous frankly.

Pompy wouldnt have imploded at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

If anyone thinks some oil baron is going to take over utd you are having a laugh. The price the glazers will want, coupled with the debt means its a far far cheaper prospect to take over a club that's potentially going to challenge for the top four, buy a new squad and a stadium if they need it. Realisticly the prime target in the premiership is spurs due to the plans for a stadium, uefa football and relatively high profile of the club.

Not an oil baron perhaps but certainly a Southeast Asian billionaire (of which there will soon be many) would take a punt on owning United to improve their standing and prestige in their part of the world particularly.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Gr31lly posted:

The company looking to buy holdings in west ham had their chief exec die at the weekend, putting the bid under question: jesus christ, the club is cursed

They really could write a west-end play about our fortunes since returning to the premier league in 2005. 'From Cup Final to Court Battles, from Tevez-gate to Ashton-ate etc.'

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Adnar posted:

Orlando Bloom should buy them

idgi do you mean Elijah Wood? pass

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Papers have yet another consortium coming in for us. This time its an Italian-American venture. Arent we popular? :v:

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

MrBling posted:

Spurs are probably the club that is run best in terms of finance, yet it always seems to be Arsenal that is brought up as a shining example.

Because winning is still everything. The article is bogus on that count. I know they dont want to say it but Arsenal was certainly helped by the millions of foreign plastics who started supporting the club in the early oughts.

It pains me to say it as a Hammer but local academies won't save you at this point either. The pure physical demands of the english game mean there is simply diminishing odds someone will grow up to meet the increasing height and weight requirements for certain vital positions on the park.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

TyChan posted:

How depressing, but true.

Whats depressing? Today I find my club in safer hands than at least 2 of the big 4.

If Sullivan's consortium plan for the remaining shares goes through and the likes of Fernandes buy significant shares we could well on our way to financial sanity and progress on the pitch very quickly. Im much less keen on leaving Upton Park however.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Maybe the solution isnt a cap but infact a revenue sharing enterprise so when a sugar daddy comes in and boosts kit sales/tour revenue etc. like Abramovich has at Chelsea, the whole league benefits nominally. Id argue the best thing going for the premier league right now is its egalitarian TV deal, so just extend that into more areas off the pitch.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

The whole 100k RVN fiasco was just one of those 'statement of intent' things some new owners seem obliged to use. Maybe they thought we could then move the 25,000 replica kits we have sitting in a warehouse with his name on the back. Either way we didnt get him so :nyd:

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Having a truckload of English internationals really does nothing for the club's finances if anything its a negative influence when contract negotiations come around.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Rawz posted:

He doesn't get squat for doing this, he loses his shares for nothing.

So he broke even then?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Harry is not at fault per se but he is a pretty awful manager if you want to keep your squad size under 40.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Bovine Delight posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/02/freddy-ljungberg-kieron-dyer-west-ham

Kieron Dyer is apparently on 60k/week. Unbelievable.

No surprises there. Unlike Chelsea, whose petrodollars have yet to dry up, we could not afford to make these kind of mistakes.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

Bellamy was pretty much perma-crocked too while he was there wasn't he? At least they were able to sell him on for decent money, but buying him, Dyer and Ljungberg, all made of paper by that stage, so closely together was crazy.

You were rightfully slagging off Harry earlier, compared to Curbishley though hes a prudent saint.

If the financial crisis hadnt have happened our Icelandic owners wouldve eaten these sunken costs, probably even bought more turnips, and noone would care if we even became 500m in the red.

Anyone trying to slag West Ham off as anything other than unlucky is a oval office.

MoPZiG fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 2, 2010

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Financial-Fairplay rules have been delayed.

quelle surprise

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

The only way I see Man United or Liverpool digging out from under all this debt is to pen lucrative exclusive foreign TV deals to the detriment of the rest of the league.

I mean the Glazers turned a loss on the year Man United won drat near everything with a Tevez-Ronaldo-Rooney lineup which probably put them at the peak of their marketability.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Why dont Pompy fans latch onto Havant & Waterlooville rather than a 'phoenix' club? Id like to think one more team other than Tottenham could benefit from this whole fiasco.

Its not as if Pompy fans would be betraying their heritage or whatever...its H&W!?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I didnt say Southampton surely there is a difference?

Anyway if West Ham got liquidated Id throw my lot in with Grays I suppose seeing as they are owned and run by ex-Hammers.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I think most of us were naive that successful businessmen could be decent human beings. I sympathize with the FA in some regards because I dont think they thought and prepared for owners who would use football clubs in this way.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Incitatus posted:

Can we agree that the Glazer's have pulled off one of the most expensive, albeit greatest trolls in history?

Move the team to Tampa, re-brand them Diet Liverpool. They could do more.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

People cant get enough football right now. I dont understand why the Championship couldnt have a more robust international TV deal of its own.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

euroboy posted:

I pretty sure the international market would prefer the Italian, Spanish, German, Dutch leagues and their own domestic league in stead of the championship.

Thats probably true but I know the championship playoff final gets a decent TV audience on ESPN/Star Sports here in SouthEast Asia. They could try and package the whole thing together bla bla.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

brapbrapbrap posted:

Yeah, I think Clough's Derby team in the 70's won the 2nd division and then won the 1st division the next season. Those days are long gone though.

Reading and Ipswich were both very impressive in their debut seasons.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Byolante posted:

Posting my advance support for Stoke's EUFA Champions League bid in 2011/12 thanks to sound rules put in place by Mr Platini.

Won't the new spending rules just entrench the superclubs further? Unless Stoke have an untapped gold mine of overseas fans and sponsoships how can they be expected to grow and maintain success without a significant bit of financial investment and/or risk.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

JingleBells posted:

Well they are owned by the chap that owns Bet365, I'm sure they've got plenty of cash to spend based on how well goons bets go

But he cant spend it unless Stoke's revenue improves. Guess Coates could just charge himself a million quid each time he uses his own directors box.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

willkill4food posted:

Aren't clubs just going to jack up ticket prices instead of cutting costs?

Only if they can all move their stadiums to China.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Im sure the FA and Premier League are just embarrassed by their naivete in allowing 2 of their prize assets to be run in such a fashion.

Remember prior to October 2008 many of us thought American businessmen were a force for good in this world and actually generated 'wealth'.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Blackburn on verge of tycoon takeover

Little uneasy on a club who get a small gate becoming potentially superrich but if this guy can bring in the cricket-loving South Asians as advertised itll be good for the whole league.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Stim posted:

Actually Eto'o was demanding a massive wage from Barcelona if I remember corectly. Extending his contract would have been worse for the club.

Zlatan was one of the highest payed players in Europe before the move and I doubt thats changed.

Glad to see them suffer frankly.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Camp_Nou@sportsdirect.com

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

So are England and France the only significant leagues that actually punish clubs for going into administration? Seems like you can get away with murder in Spain and Italy.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

mes que une toxic asset

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

That Tom Cook income should be dispersed through the whole league :commissar:

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Bill Kenwright will force a merger and create the mighty Liverton Purples

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Swiss Ramble, a decent footy blog pours over Barce's financial problems

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/08/whats-happening-with-barcelonas.html

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

If he waits a year he could buy us outright. Hova's Hammers as it were

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Ive come around on Chelsea and dont particularly care how much money they spend.

I mean have you seen Abramovich's yacht? Id rather he waste money on some thick spendthrift teenagers.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

profit after tax £61m :smug:

stack all that dosh and stick it in goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Id wager Arsenal's support on average was the least hit group by the recession.

• Locked thread