Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

How about you dispute the fact that there's clubs out there that couldn't finance themselves out of a wet paper bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

MJBuddy posted:

Owners hold on to property because it earns them more than the market value of the property.

News at 11?

You heard it here folks, ManU is worth £22.9m.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Stim posted:

Yes - that's why I said they don't utilise it like United. I think it costs just over £10 but when you consider that no club in the Bundesliga is really charging a huge amount and that you are filling the stadium with 80,000 fans it means they should have a significant advantage over the majority of the league in terms of matchday revenue. While we are talking about more modest revenue we are also talking about more modest debts compared to United. Im not looking to draw a direct comparison anyway I'm just pointing out that having a stadium which should give you a steady and good flow of cash isn't always going to save you. I'm pretty sure Dortmund ended up having to sell their stadium at one point or at least considered it so there are lots of things that need to be considered.

Dortmunds shittastic management at one point actually sold parts of the stadium to rake in a bit of short term cash, and then continued to pay horrendous sums per month to continue using those.

The manager in question doesn't work there anymore.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Stim posted:

Sound familiar?

Clubs do some really stupid things when they find themselves in trouble.

Yeah, luckily for Dortmund the current management has found ways to consolidate their debt and even buy back the stadium, though it means midtable obscurity for a couple of years to come with the occasional EL-spot.

Edit: What I'm saying is ManU is probably hosed, 300m for OT? Which dumbfuck would pay that much for a stadium?

Healbot fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 8, 2010

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Why don't you share a bigger, readable version?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Japan and Korea had to do a lot to accomodate the FIFA rules as host countries, so an increase in ticket prices was necessary (not to mention Japans cost of living).

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Well, that kinda happens when you get paid high sums of money playing in Italy and don't actually pay any taxes for 20 years.

Edit:

Played in Neapel from 1984-1991, accumulated tax sum 13.5m, paid 42.000€.
The rest is pretty much interest and the Italian IRS handing out reminders.

Healbot fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 6, 2010

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Couch posted:

German.

Yeah sorry, I kinda forgot to translate Napoli.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Bacon of the Sea posted:

It's so obvious they're going to back pedal on it. You can't imagine a champions league without any of the big Spanish, English or Italian sides.

I sure hope not, it's about time some financial sensibility took hold in the top flights of football. Spending moon money to 'preserve competitiveness' is all kinds of hosed up.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

MoPZiG posted:

So are England and France the only significant leagues that actually punish clubs for going into administration? Seems like you can get away with murder in Spain and Italy.

Clubs going into administration in Germany will probably get their license revoked and relegated, mostly due to missing liquidity.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Numbers like that happen when you add debts to club value.

Edit: Forbes.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

http://newsticker.sueddeutsche.de/list/id/1020405

(http://translate.google.de/translat...405&sl=de&tl=en)

So due to creative accounting Barca actually lost 77.1m € this season (reported a win of 11.1m).

Also club debts are higher than expected, a staggering 442m.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

s0meb0dy0 posted:

It's not much different to me. In the EPL this last season, you had 3 people fighting for 4th, but it didn't matter who got 1st/2nd/3rd (to me). With Real Madrid, and Barça, sure, they're going to come 1/2, but because you know that, losing a single game is a HORRIBLE result, because you absolutely have to come in 1st or you've failed. Then there's also the competition for the 3rd CL spot. So either league, you're focuse on who's first, and who's in the last CL spot.

Except the top two Spanish teams lead by more than 20 points which is usually a big hint that something's not right in La Liga.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Liverpool could end up as front for money laundering.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Ah yes, it's the perfect ploy. Don't pay your players, win the Champion's League and profit.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

There'll be no real bid at all, H&G will stay on top of their mountain of debts, abandon all hope ye fans of Liverpool.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

RCD Mallorca is now actually suing the UEFA for their lost spot in the Europa League.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I don't know, they might shoot themselves in the foot with it in the end.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It'll build up to a billion, after which the banks will greatly increase the pressure.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Because they might've just sufficiently weakened the opposition they'd be encountering in an important match one day after the transfer?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

That's not a lot of turnover.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Still doesn't have an impact in Football Manager, gently caress Bayern.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Once per matchday one game is free to watch on Spanish TV. The clubs want all of their games on PPV (and thereby demand more money from the TV stations; €800m instead of €620m) and threaten the government with strike (not strictly a strike as it's the clubs that want it, not the players or staff).

To show that they mean it, the upcoming matchday has been postponed by a week. Seven clubs of La Liga (Villarreal, Sevilla, Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad San Sebastián, Espanyol Barcelona, Real Saragossa and Málaga) were against it though.

It is expected that the government doesn't buckle under the 'pressure', losing the one free game a week might be a deciding factor in the next elections.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's usually the last game on Saturday at 10pm.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

hhhmmm posted:

Isn't it kinda of shortsighted to have all the games on pay-per-view? What about recruiting new fans etc

Who cares about fans when you only perceive moving money-pouches (it'd be a PR-disaster if it wasn't so pathetic)?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

That's what happens when your (old) management is not only criminally incompetent but also criminal.

Healbot fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 28, 2011

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Yeah, it's kinda expected that mostly oldtimers pay for tickets when they are so expensive, but 44 years average. :psyduck:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Half the teams in the Spanish first and second division filed for bankruptcy or are nearing that point (21 out of 42).

And the best thing is: once filed until the 30th of June the club cannot be forcefully relegated (which happens when you cannot pay your player wages) thanks to a loving stupid court ruling, meaning clubs that are financially sane get the shaft.

Go Spain!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

MattWPBS posted:

Little bit of paper saying "we tried to give you a scarf, but you were out".

I'ma just add that :golfclap: here.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Raightning posted:

they'll probably hire paolo di canio to enforce 'stability'

But will Di Canio have to auction off his fascist military regalia to pay for himself then?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Saurus posted:

Wait...So they're basically borrowing and then paying the loan back with the tv money they get next season? What happens next season when they have no money then? Will they just continue to borrow further and further into the future?

Yep.

It's the dumbest loving idea.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Mickolution posted:

Absolutely and as I said, my problem is with the perception that Rooney was somehow put in his place by the whole situation. If he felt the club lacked ambition, how was that changed by him getting a new contract?

I guess we always want to believe the most convenient thing about our own club. I know I do regarding the Gerrard/Chelsea stuff a few years back.

I think Rooney can gloss over the ambition part with a raise. And still make it to the finals.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

That's a whole lot of :qq: for a bunch of regulations that supposedly do nothing at all.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Me, I'd rather receive 800m than the pitiful sums Sky vomits into my books p.a.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Yeah that is going to be A Point Of Contention.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

But pngman, dude has something he cares even less about!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I don't think the Milan clubs are struggling that much with attendance.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Pretty sure Messi, despite all his earnings, still has not amassed a million billion trillion dollars.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Dudley posted:

Define debts I guess, technically Chelsea have 0 debt.

Chelsea are not a rich club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Dudley posted:

Richer than Man City according to that not remotely horribly flawed site.

That's worth and not money on the bank, both clubs have none.

• Locked thread