Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008

joshtothemaxx posted:

If I remember correctly, every time you make an offer that gets rejected you piss the player off more. So after 10 he likely wouldn't accept anything because he thinks your an rear end in a top hat. I learned that the hard way.

Yeah usually it doesn't get to 10 attempts at negotiation before he's all "gently caress you i'll test free agency I can't feed my family on 120 million dollars you fuckhead".

This time it went on way too long.

Now I'm negotiating with the same loving guy IN free agency and his starting asking price was 3 mil/year less than when he was on my team. I've made at least 20 offers to this guy and we're still talking.

I have a feeling that a salary cap does funky things to the signing logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Even though some really weird things come out of it, I'm really liking OOTP's ever-adapting game world. In one game the Blue Jays relocated to Jacksonville, in another two expansion teams entered the league (Columbus in AL Central and Austin in AL West), and in my most recent game this happened:

Crazy stuff.

DJJustice
Sep 7, 2006

UNTOPPSABLE

MagicCube posted:

Even though some really weird things come out of it, I'm really liking OOTP's ever-adapting game world. In one game the Blue Jays relocated to Jacksonville, in another two expansion teams entered the league (Columbus in AL Central and Austin in AL West), and in my most recent game this happened:

Crazy stuff.

I had that in year 2, and in year 5 the NL has instituted the DH. Hooray! This game is loving fantastic, despite the fact that the playoffs seem to be completely random.

DJJustice fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 28, 2010

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
In OOTP I have a scrub backup catcher serving as my DH, he just won the "Rookie of the Month" award with a .287/.289/.598 line with 21 K, 0 BB, 9 HR.

I also have a 1B with 33 H, 33 BB, and 63 K.

This team is going places.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

MagicCube posted:

Crazy stuff.

does this stuff happen by default or is there a setting you have to enable when you start up a game?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Tiny Torso posted:

does this stuff happen by default or is there a setting you have to enable when you start up a game?

Options you can set:

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
my salary cap game where I was in the year 2029 and had radically realigned and expanded and was starting to enjoy an NBA-style playoff system with a poo poo ton of teams...

won't play nice anymore. I get to the all star game and it crashes the program every single time. I'm not even sure I have the heart to start over.

Does it happen for everyone else in a non-capped league that the typical star player ends up with a contract well over the suggested prices in the league setup? Mine has superstar player around 16m/year and I swear that anyone even mostly decent ends up with 20m+. Also, %80 of the league is considered fragile. I don't know when that particular anomaly started but I got tired of having my star pitchers break down so often... and then I started sorting FA pitchers by injury history. Thought it was funny that the top 20 pitchers were all fragile, expanded it to the whole ML and drat near every player is fragile. Good times.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

AlleyViper posted:

Options you can set:

Ohh they let you ghost your minors...that's an improvement over last year.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
That stuff is awesome. Makes me want to go out and get the game.

Then set the foreigner percentage to zero. Keep baseball pure :colbert:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Someone talk me into getting the new OOTP or Mogul, I can't deal with 4 hour bar lectures without something going in the background and all I have is a Mogul release from a couple years ago.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

jeffersonlives posted:

Someone talk me into getting the new OOTP or Mogul, I can't deal with 4 hour bar lectures without something going in the background and all I have is a Mogul release from a couple years ago.

You can download OOTP 8 for free. That will always kill some time. I have yet to buy any OOTP but I might get the new one soon.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I mentioned this before but get OOTP, my first historical sim featured Rookie of the Year and one and done Bob Hamelin hitting 800-odd home runs, along with Juan Guzman fanning 5000!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I have OOTP 11, but I'm not really happy with it. The screens are non-intuitive to the point where I'm convinced I'm missing something. Setting rosters is drag-n-drop, but somehow I managed to release my first free agent signing with no warning or notice whatsoever. Coaching seems to be weird in that I can hire a LEGENDARY coach (yes, it's in all caps in the game) to coach my rookie league team as long as I meet his relatively low demands. I played three complete seasons and I still don't know how the amateur draft players get ranked. I was down to 1 1/2 star hitters long before the 4 star potential pitchers were gone - not sure if that was bad scouting or some error on my part. No real way for me to tell either that I could see.

Obviously YMMV.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008

saintonan posted:

I have OOTP 11, but I'm not really happy with it. The screens are non-intuitive to the point where I'm convinced I'm missing something. Setting rosters is drag-n-drop, but somehow I managed to release my first free agent signing with no warning or notice whatsoever. Coaching seems to be weird in that I can hire a LEGENDARY coach (yes, it's in all caps in the game) to coach my rookie league team as long as I meet his relatively low demands. I played three complete seasons and I still don't know how the amateur draft players get ranked. I was down to 1 1/2 star hitters long before the 4 star potential pitchers were gone - not sure if that was bad scouting or some error on my part. No real way for me to tell either that I could see.

Obviously YMMV.

One thing to note is that experience rather than quality is what matters for managers/coaches doing minor league jobs. That, and you'll quickly spend too much money hiring a 1.5million dollar staff for your short season A ball team if you can even get them to take the gig. A guy may be a LEGENDARY pitching coach, but if he has no major league experience... even the guys who are awesome will suck it up and make your kids better. I've personally found it useful to get a really good guy in AAA for hitting/pitching and if your team sucks mid-season in the majors, fire whichever is doing a poo poo job and promote the AAA guy and if he's legendary and handles players at excellent or above, you will usually see a performance boost.

As for the 4-star pitchers, those are all MR guys. For some reason the game drastically overvalues a MR and drat near all of them are 60+ (I use the 20-80 scale, it's a bit better I think at letting you evaluate things on your own even though it's still horribly inaccurate at best). Most of the time if you can't get 4-5 MR's that are 60+ on your team at all times, you're not trying. It really messes up the draft screen and free agency and trades in general but I don't know of any way to realistically smooth out the reliever ratings.

But on that note, it's way better to ignore star ratings and just go for the metrics that matter. Scouting is anywhere from misleading to loving retarded sometimes, but generally they get the main attribute right enough. If you want to draft a power hitter, go for someone with high power. If you want to draft a crazy good pitcher filter by command/movement/stuff and pick the best available guy regardless of his overall ranking. I've found a ton of great pickups that were 1-star that ended up as 4-5 star after a couple years in the minors.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is there a way to get warmed up to OOTP without being completely overwhelmed? Trying to manage 3 levels of minors plus the MLB team right off the bat was a little much for me. I dunno, maybe I was just micro-managing too much.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

tadashi posted:

Is there a way to get warmed up to OOTP without being completely overwhelmed? Trying to manage 3 levels of minors plus the MLB team right off the bat was a little much for me. I dunno, maybe I was just micro-managing too much.

The way I did it was having my first league just have 40-man rosters. Then I added AAA when I felt comfortable, and kept doing that until I had all the leagues

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

OOTP owns. Oh hey, someone broke Babe Ruth's 60 home runs. I wonder who...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I have to admit, I'm really impressed with OOTP's in-game management. Shawon Dunston went down with an injury, so it substituted an outfielder as pinch runner and then made a defensive substitution in the next inning. I'm used to console games which I'm guessing would have substituted a position-appropriate player right away.

Also: no-hittter in the first game I managed since re-installing OOTP. :cool:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I started a historical game in 1988. Modern players really are pussies. I forgot how teams had to win almost 100 games to make the post-season in the late 80's/early 90's.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
I think I'm done with OOTP until they patch this crap. Something is horribly wrong.

I have a guy who I signed in the offseason I really liked, has a 70 rating overall, plays every single position except catcher and has good stats at all of them. He's primarily playing 2B and SS and only 5m/year. He was hitting .285, +ZR in all defensive spots, etc etc. This is a guy I'd pay 10m/year if I had to.

Roster Expansion times comes up, I hit the AI promote guys button AND THE AI loving WAIVES HIM. THERE WAS NO loving NEED TO WAIVE A GODDAMN PLAYER LEAVE THE 23 YEAR OLD KID IN AAA.

The AI loving waived a guy with a 36.6 VORP. Why would it EVER EVER EVER EVER do this? In September. With a first place loving team.

I don't want to have to over-micro this game but I just lost a 25-year old super versatile guy who doesn't suck, and I got absolutely nothing for him. gently caress.

I put in a ticket to get the bug fixed that allows this to happen, but who loving knows. :qq:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Expiration Date posted:

I think I'm done with OOTP until they patch this crap. Something is horribly wrong.

I have a guy who I signed in the offseason I really liked, has a 70 rating overall, plays every single position except catcher and has good stats at all of them. He's primarily playing 2B and SS and only 5m/year. He was hitting .285, +ZR in all defensive spots, etc etc. This is a guy I'd pay 10m/year if I had to.

Roster Expansion times comes up, I hit the AI promote guys button AND THE AI loving WAIVES HIM. THERE WAS NO loving NEED TO WAIVE A GODDAMN PLAYER LEAVE THE 23 YEAR OLD KID IN AAA.

The AI loving waived a guy with a 36.6 VORP. Why would it EVER EVER EVER EVER do this? In September. With a first place loving team.

I don't want to have to over-micro this game but I just lost a 25-year old super versatile guy who doesn't suck, and I got absolutely nothing for him. gently caress.

I put in a ticket to get the bug fixed that allows this to happen, but who loving knows. :qq:

the problem is that it's not really a bug, it's bad AI. A lot of the AI moves in ootp don't make sense and I feel like there is more micro-management than I'd like. There seem to be certain combinations of skills that gently caress up the algorithms in in ootp. Right now, the ai in my historical league is in love with Dave Martinez. I mean he's above average in several categories, but why would I start him ahead of Griffey who has the potential to hit 40 HR so long as the ai stops benching him?

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

tadashi posted:

the problem is that it's not really a bug, it's bad AI. A lot of the AI moves in ootp don't make sense and I feel like there is more micro-management than I'd like. There seem to be certain combinations of skills that gently caress up the algorithms in in ootp. Right now, the ai in my historical league is in love with Dave Martinez. I mean he's above average in several categories, but why would I start him ahead of Griffey who has the potential to hit 40 HR so long as the ai stops benching him?

You can actually force the CPU to start players at certain positions in the Game Strategy menu on a player's profile. I always had my infielders starting in the wrong positions until I figured that one out.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inside Outside posted:

You can actually force the CPU to start players at certain positions in the Game Strategy menu on a player's profile. I always had my infielders starting in the wrong positions until I figured that one out.

I'm definitely doing this. Is there anyway to tell it to rest a player if they incur day-to-day injuries? Some of my players are hurt all the time and it sucks to try to win with terrible players.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008

Inside Outside posted:

Really?

I've never dived too deeply into those pages, I figured the game was just bugged for putting my 2B at SS and my SS in the OF and waiving my actual 2B in favor of his girlfriend's brother at catcher. Or however it goes. OOTP politics are at a higher level than I care to understand sometimes. I kept getting a lot of MR's in starting roles despite having no stamina and 5 actual starters on the team. One 24 year old who wasn't doing bad the year before got replaced by a journeyman reliever who never lasted 4 innings. The guy got depressed, then angry, then retired after he got sent to AAA.

I thought the game was really just trying to tell me some sort of greater message at the time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I swear they put some sort of code into OOTP 8 (the free version) that makes your star players likely to get hurt. I've been starting players I've never heard of for a month but it's still the best players on the team who tear tendons.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008

tadashi posted:

I swear they put some sort of code into OOTP 8 (the free version) that makes your star players likely to get hurt. I've been starting players I've never heard of for a month but it's still the best players on the team who tear tendons.

That happens to me way too often in the real thing too so it's just some wacky pseudo-random code.

Here's a fun bug that I'm not reporting (because I like this one). I had a guy who was 24 and starting his arbitration years. He wins arbitration for 9.5m/season. He promptly gets hurt in a "motorcycle accident" and is out for 14 months.

The game for whatever reason while he was on the 60-day DL, voided his contract. He started the next season on a minor league deal and played for a full season at league minimum. He then only managed a 2.5m arbitration deal and 5 the year after that. Good times. Saved me a lot of money.

Of course then there's the time I signed Albert Pujols at 22 mil/season and he promptly broke his shin in spring training and was out for the year. Then he couldn't come back from the injury and retired at the end of the season. THANKS.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Expiration Date posted:

That happens to me way too often in the real thing too so it's just some wacky pseudo-random code.

Here's a fun bug that I'm not reporting (because I like this one). I had a guy who was 24 and starting his arbitration years. He wins arbitration for 9.5m/season. He promptly gets hurt in a "motorcycle accident" and is out for 14 months.

The game for whatever reason while he was on the 60-day DL, voided his contract. He started the next season on a minor league deal and played for a full season at league minimum. He then only managed a 2.5m arbitration deal and 5 the year after that. Good times. Saved me a lot of money.

Of course then there's the time I signed Albert Pujols at 22 mil/season and he promptly broke his shin in spring training and was out for the year. Then he couldn't come back from the injury and retired at the end of the season. THANKS.

I'm up to five starters out. I think I'm ditching this entire historical game for another one.

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."
So guess who just traded Joe Blanton for Jesus Montero and a few other prospects?

Anyway, I somehow managed to get a bug where I traded Brad Lidge for David Wright, Jose Reyes, and Johan Santana. I still have no clue how that happened.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
I've been a pretty loyal Baseball Mogul customer for most of the past decade, even going back to the very first version. After last year's edition I finally got frustrated over the piss poor trade and free agent AI and overall lack of depth and realism. With each recent edition I found myself getting bored earlier (woo hoo, I have a roster full of young all stars within 3 seasons). So I decided to give OOTP 11 a try this year.

Thus far I'm fairly impressed -- the depth of options is considerable and the game feels more realistic in a variety of ways, from statistical accuracy/player evaluation/player development, to trade and free agent systems and AI, to the random league progression option. At times it does feel a little too deep, or maybe more to the point the UI is pretty cluttered and unintuitive.

The only niggling problem I've had is one that a couple of posters alluded to above, in that when I allow the AI to take any control over roster moves I come back to find a number of ridiculous moves, reassignments and even releases/signings/waivers that take longer to clean up than than it would have to just comb the drat roster myself. Is there any way to tweak the AI in this area? It's the one frustration that is limiting me from giving this game a fully positive recommendation as I tend to have a simulate/play for a little/simulate playstyle and I also like to sometimes let the AI "refresh" my roster in case I've overlooked anything.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paramour posted:

So guess who just traded Joe Blanton for Jesus Montero and a few other prospects?

Anyway, I somehow managed to get a bug where I traded Brad Lidge for David Wright, Jose Reyes, and Johan Santana. I still have no clue how that happened.

The game thinks that Lidge is a God, that Wright can't hit left handed pitching, that Reyes isn't that great of a contact hitter, and that Santana is past his prime.

I'm just stabbing in the dark here.

Sometimes it's really hard in OOTP to remember to actually look at a player's ratings and not just base your lineup or trades on what you expect a player will do.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I'm in the middle of an OOTP11 game starting from 1891 and basically any injury is brutal. I did a fantasy draft because what the heck why not, so my team's in first place in late July. But my starting shortstop (Germany Long) just got injured and is out for 4 weeks, and there are no free agents. Literally none. There are no minor leaguers either.

1. is this my fault for not clicking some "generate fictional players" button at game creation
2. if yes, can I press that button now and sign a shortstop

If nothing else I have like 6 catchers and one of them can play shortstop passably even if I can't trade for one

bonus pic of staff ace Jouett Meekin who leads the league in wins, games started, innings pitched, complete games, shutouts, VORP, hits/9, strikeouts, K/9, K/BB, OAV, and FIP. third in ERA though, slacker

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008

Dr. VonHugenstein posted:

The only niggling problem I've had is one that a couple of posters alluded to above, in that when I allow the AI to take any control over roster moves I come back to find a number of ridiculous moves, reassignments and even releases/signings/waivers that take longer to clean up than than it would have to just comb the drat roster myself. Is there any way to tweak the AI in this area? It's the one frustration that is limiting me from giving this game a fully positive recommendation as I tend to have a simulate/play for a little/simulate playstyle and I also like to sometimes let the AI "refresh" my roster in case I've overlooked anything.

The roster moves as in up/down/released/etc I don't think you can do anything about those. Sorta sucks, sometimes your AI manager has poor evaluation skills. (or, scouts do and a highly rated guy sucks and a low rated guy wins 20 games).

As far as the manager sticking your 2B in the outfield and having your LF play SS, you can force positions in the player settings tab apparently and that works really well. The problem of course is that if you happen to have a utility type guy, sometimes the AI will be a loving oval office and have that guy be the regular starter at 2B or 3B or whatever, rather than your established veteran. There doesn't seem to be a setting for "suck it up and be the super sub/roleplayer" unless I'm just not seeing it. I personally find a lot of value in having a potentially terrible hitter with great defensive skills being able to be my injury replacement... and it sucks when the AI puts him in a starting role and he hits .217. Part of that is whether your manager favors offense or defense and I personally go for the Offense oriented managers to try and lessen those instances.

game still ain't perfect with the AI though. Oh well.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
OOTP's fictional player generation is really strange.

I have a 21-year-old middle reliever with 99 stamina, throws 99MPH, with a 60 GB%. There's no excuse for this guy not to be a starter. On top of that, the AI passed on him for 15 rounds of the draft. I drafted him, but can't sign him because I don't have the money.

There's a bunch of other guys with strange balances of skills that just don't make sense, like a SS with otherworldly pitching stats, Jack Wilson defense, and horrific batting. His batting would be barely passable if he ever developed fully to his potential.

I almost want to convert him to a pitcher and see what amazing pitcher fielding would look like.

Also if you want to game the system, turning your pitchers into position players allows them to become fully rested at the beginning of every day. One of my relievers has thrown 150 innings halfway through July.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Expiration Date posted:

The roster moves as in up/down/released/etc I don't think you can do anything about those. Sorta sucks, sometimes your AI manager has poor evaluation skills. (or, scouts do and a highly rated guy sucks and a low rated guy wins 20 games).

I've been trying to play the game from Rookie league up. OOTP's AI clearly hasn't studied Beane ball much. What I'm finding in A ball is that the AI GMs will often send one of my best hitters down simply because his attributes aren't registering high enough. There's no reason to send down a guy hitting .320, I don't care if his scouting report sucks.

They also love to leave me with 1 middle reliever, 2 setup men, and a closer to cover all of my relief needs.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 17, 2010

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008

tadashi posted:

I've been trying to play the game from Rookie league up. OOTP's AI clearly hasn't studied Beane ball much. What I'm finding in A ball is that the AI GMs will often send one of my best hitters down simply because his attributes aren't registering high enough. There's no reason to send down a guy hitting .320, I don't care if his scouting report sucks.

They also love to leave me with 1 middle reliever, 2 setup men, and a closer to cover all of my relief needs.

The AI I've decided is run by a Magic 8 Ball. Totally random, nonsensical decisions. There's no prevention logic at all.

In my latest game, a guy made the allstar team, won player of the month 2 months in a row and got waived while he was hitting .322. He won the loving Rookie of the Year. After getting waived. For absolutely no reason I can tell.

There's clearly some failure in the game that looks at one particular thing and then says NOPE EVERYTHING ELSE IS IRRELEVANT and makes a decision. There's no reality that exists where a guy hitting .322 and leading the ROY gets waived in September. The game should check for this stuff. I tried to file a bug report but the guy denied it existed and said "this would be disturbing if it happened with any regularity because it would make the game unplayable for many".

So I give up. It's just one of those things you have to avoid doing. Or capitalize when some highly ranked kid gets waived on someone else's team.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that
My position draft picks in OOTP always go from being potential 4's to a 1 and their potential stats implode in the rookie league. wtf

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mr.Showtime posted:

My position draft picks in OOTP always go from being potential 4's to a 1 and their potential stats implode in the rookie league. wtf

The potential stars are given by your scouts so they are biased according to your scouts strengths and weaknesses. You want to look at the guy's actual attributes and not just the stars, too. Gap Power or Baserunning Instincts on their own are useless but high contact with gap power might get you somewhere. Be sure to scout the entire draft with all of your scouts. You can see how long it's going to take your scouts to complete their next task and you can see when the amateur draft is, so plan accordingly.

Also, sometimes it's better to take a guy who is currently 2 stars but will only achieve 3 1/2 over a guy who has 1 star but should grow into 4.

It looks like the AI of OOTP was actually written by every Cubs GM. Who cares if you have an awesome pitcher in the minors? Just make sure you play the guys with major league contracts a lot so you look like you're not wasting money.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Picked up OOTP 11 today.

Now to go to the library tomorrow and check out Moneyball so I know what the hell I'm doing.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Okay, what the dick?

Created a fictional league, added AA and AAA. No salary cap, MLB-style revenue sharing. Simmed the first year as commish, then took over the last place team. Got them playing .500 ball in 2011, and swept in the semis in 2012.

Now I can't sign or resign anyone, because my owner is a penny-pinching oval office who won't give me more than $10m combined for extensions and free agents. My ace wants $12m a year, half of my everyday starters need new contracts, and the game thinks Chicago is a 12/20 market size. I'm selling 30k seats a game at $21 average, with a $5m/yr media contract, and there's still no money to be had.

Cheezymadman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent
Sep 28, 2004

sounds like you took over the marlins to me. super realistic.

• Locked thread