Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Willatron posted:

It's only -5 C in Winnipeg right now. If you know anything about Winnipeg, -5 C in January is loving balmy. We're usually hitting lows of around -30C on Average at this time of year, with highs hovering around no more than -15 or -10C.

Hell, at this time last year, I was wearing arctic trekking gear just so I could still feel my face after my ten minute walks to work on the especially cold nights. Now I'm walking to work in an open jacket and a sweater and little else in the way of protection.

So, yeah, I tend to let out a depressed sigh every time I see a "Cold=No Global Warming" cartoon. Especially when the cartoonist happens to be from someplace typically warm or mild during the winter, and the colder temperatures they may be experiencing is evidence itself of the effects of climate change.

"la nina? what's that? sounds a little like something an illegal immigrant would say."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Actually yes, yes it is you stupid fuckwit.

i have to admit ignorance here: how does global warming make it colder in miami

i'm not doubting you or anything but i have to admit the mechanism is a little non-obvious

i'm guessing it has to do with loving up ocean currents?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Hyosho posted:

Did Rush really say "drug addicts have no willpower" cos I'd like to hear that

well, poo poo, he'd know

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

how would right-wingers react if it were to be discovered that the mother of barack obama/nancy pelosi/osama bin laden/al gore/ted kennedy/saddam hussein/malik hasan/henry waxman/harry reid had been suggested to have an abortion but didn't

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

foobardog posted:

they already did, and had an ad that was denied last superbowl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CaBR3z85c&feature=player_embedded

that's just "would you abort this baby from a nine child family who'd be sick his whole life WAY TO ABORT BEETHOVEN" made topical

i mean, if the news came out that the mother of some right-wing boogeyman had actually literally been advised to have or was thinking about having an abortion

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

tacodaemon posted:

he won't be rotting in hell

those who were treasonous to their country are frozen in the ice of cocytus and are therefore preserved against rotting :smug:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Not So Fast posted:

New Latuff

wait where are the pink pal-- ohhh nevermind

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Starshark posted:

*glaciers actually melting

this is from a recent Thing where a mention of himalayan glacier melts in the IPCC 4AR turned out not to have been from a peer-reviewed paper, instead from so-called "gray literature" which is Sciencey but not peer-reviewed, and it turned out it was incorrect, and there's a big concern now that such gray literature needs to not be in the IPCC

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Sub-Actuality posted:

Science is imperfect? Then everything Science has taught us must be a hoax!

yes, this, when will scientists learn the only way to wisdom is through the lord

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Sneaking Mission posted:

How can Global Warming be real if it is cold outside? :smug:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html

:smugicide:

that's actually pretty good to know, thanks

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

raruler posted:

Wouldn't the Earth being warmer lead to more evaporation in the places that aren't currently below freezing? Wouldn't that then mean there is more moisture in the atmosphere available to be turned into snow?

Ergo Global Warming = More Snow?

this is exactly the gist of the article sneaking mission just posted, and it mentions that one of the results of global warming is worse winter storms

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Zombiejack posted:

So what is it with conservative comics and Al gore anyway? it's not like he's the king of global warming becouse he made a quite good film.

it's a common thing of pseudoscience to come up with a figurehead on which to pin the criticisms of the establishment, Gore for global warming, Darwin for evolution, Pasteur for vaccinations, etc

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Igiari posted:

someone less lazy than me tell the originals about this plagiarism. i think they're reprehensible too but at least they came up with thier bullshit opninions themselves

well, they came up with their bullshit cartoon ideas themselves, at least

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

the hilarious thing is that she probably did it because the discourse from her own side has made it completely improper among her base to be seen with a teleprompter

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Lamestream Media posted:

CARLSON: I think she did it on purpose.

DOOCY: You do?

CARLSON: I think she did it on purpose. Yeah, because I think it's an exact opposite of reading off the teleprompter. Reading off complete script written for you with every word in a sentence, and here she's just taking crib notes on her hand. It makes it look as if she can just talk off the cuff and that she just jotted down a few couple notes before she went off to give a big, long speech.

DOOCY: I think she did -- I think she did it because she probably does it a lot. I do that all the time.

KILMEADE: But to sit there and look at -- do the interview and then look down at her hand, I think that is -- it's, like you said, Gretchen, before, folksy, absolutely. Down to earth. I can identify. But if you're going to write it on your hand, why not just say, staffer, can you hand me a card?

CARLSON: Like I say, I think it was on purpose. But anyway, we may never know.

ngghhh is it too much to hope that sarah palin goes snowmobiling and does a sonny bono into a tree

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

CrumFUNist! posted:

there's no way this comic isn't supposed to evoke images of those red-state email forwards about how muslims use their bare hands for rear end wiping

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Gaspar Lewis posted:

drat girl, them eyes about to leave the sockets and grow stalks like some nightmarish snail/woman horror
drat girl, dat frozen grin and sprayed-pink cheeks make me think dat jaw can unhinge and devour my head & neck

girl you make me wanna get kurt russell to use a flamethrower on you

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Axe Master posted:

what do conservatives do in science class when answers aren't intuitive?

check the only science book you'll ever need. it comes in two big volumes, with sixty-six books...

seriously, how dumb to you have to be to not be able to understand the following:
"blizzards don't get worse from low temperatures, they get worse from more humidity, which is caused by evaporation, which is caused by warmer temperatures"

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

haha what "cover-ups" is he even talking about

unless he's just planning to make another dumb comic of record snowfalls COVERING UP stupid al gore and global warming

turns out michael mann's university cleared him of wrongdoing in the leaked emails thing soooo they're covering it all up

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Quadratica! posted:

i've asked a few times but i've never had a conservative actually tell me what, exactly, the climate change 'agenda' is except to make al gore money or something

i read an article in a student newspaper recently that argued it's part of an ongoing effort to erase worship of God and replace it with environmentalist Gaia/Earth worship

i wish i was kidding

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

foobardog posted:

this is a true argument (in that it exists), but it's more the way they ensnare social conservatives. the real reason is always that poor ol' businesses might have to implement environmental regulations set by bad ol' government.

yeah that's pretty much it but let's face it "they want to kill god!" is funnier

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Karl Rove posted:

The script in .pdf form, because it's like 22 goddamn pages: http://www.sendspace.com/file/4cn5we

oh god i had forgotten all the injokes

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Deep Hurting posted:

Y'know, we have Kelly as a parody of right-wing cartoonists. Are there any good parodies of Ted Rall's kind out there (aside from one-offs like the OBAMA = NEW HITLER comic)?

Would a person have to be a right-winger to regularly parody left-wing "alt" cartoonists

:stat: - why don't you give it a shot? you might be good at it

quote:

(and thus, largely incapable of humor or cleverness)?

:wal: - it definitely sounds like he'd be good at it
:stat::wal: - ho ho ho ho

i kid

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

dongle posted:

I actually kinda forgot why the "correct" conservative opinion to have about global warming is that it isn't real, someone remind me because it seems to me that it's just puerile "the liberals believe it so it can't be true" bitching
lmao

it goes in stages
1) global warming isn't real
2) global warming is real but isn't manmade
3) global warming is manmade but isn't a problem
4) global warming is a problem but we can't do anything about it
5) global warming is solvable but the costs would outweigh the benefits
6) global warming is something worth solving but then i don't get a private jet anymore
7) no seriously i want my loving jet you liberals

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

tacodaemon posted:

don't you liberals remember that section in the IPCC report where it says that global warming will cause the earth to lose its axial tilt

edit: the worst thing is when some pseudoscientist is presented with the rational explanation for things and understands it and then still denies it because it doesn't fit into their ultra-simplistic understanding of things argh argh argh why does it bother me so much

Nicolae Carpathia fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 18, 2010

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Starshark posted:

I'm starting to think that some of them, especially the ones who just happen to be in the employ of oil lobbies, know drat well that it's a lie they just think that it'll be manageable - at least for them - and the easiest way to go is to pretend the problem doesn't exist.

but what about the rank-and-file, as it were

like is answer rat so really dumb that he forgot it's winter. did he think global warming would just make winter go away so the average temperature wouldn't go down 20 or 30 degrees or more relative to summer around this time of year.

do you think he even really realizes that it's not winter everywhere on earth right now

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

shadysight posted:

Predictions given the news of the day:

- Day-by-day characters being outraged that liberals would try to connect the plane attack to conservatives, when clearly only liberals can hate America.

- Same for Asay.

- Cartoon with Airplane with stuck accelerator made by Toyota.

- Cartoon depicting Airplane crashing into Building as analogy for Obama being weak on terror.

- Cartoon depicting Obama flying an airplane into a building labeled "America" or some such.

"thus ever to people who criticize the rich"

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Fluoride Jones posted:

I'm cynical enough to believe that DBD or Asay will portray the pilot as the first heroic casualty in the war on taxes.

Could go either way. He got pissed because he got caught cheating on his taxes trying to use the same loopholes the rich do. Who will DBD and Asay side with more, the working class or the rich?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Santiago3.1 posted:

Does he regularly eat something that makes him stupid? Maybe do a whole shitload of meth or something?

well he did voluntarily join the military :smug:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Deep Hurting posted:

Summary: Ramirez does not understand how religion or government work.

neither do liberals :pwn:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

liberals just don't like it when snack companies make profits

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Hyosho posted:

"I can't find any evidence of mass killings in this gas chamber!"

uhhhh those were delousing chambers you zionist way to buy into the holohoax

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Starshark posted:

There's also the question of 'who gives a poo poo what the 'original' intent was if the founding fathers wanted us to have slaves would you be for bringing back slavery?

pretty sure the founding fathers were okay with slavery so that's not much of an "if" (edit: i missed the joke didn't i)

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Starshark posted:

I didn't do in-depth research on the founding fathers and slavery but my understanding was they thought it was a lesser-of-two-evils necessity that would die the death eventually. I seem to remember someone saying something like, "the negroes are destined to be free." Jefferson used to go on like that depending on who was listening (eg the enlightenment philosophers in France he was trying to impress).

So it's possible that their original intent, if we want to go there, was 'slaves for now but not forever.' But like I said, I haven't read up on that area.

quoting wikipedia: "The eminent American historian Richard B. Morris, in his 1973 book Seven Who Shaped Our Destiny: The Founding Fathers as Revolutionaries, identified the following seven figures as the key founding fathers: Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Jay, James Madison, and Alexander Hamilton."

what does google say about those seven guys re: slaves

ben franklin let his slaves go, big abolitionist. good for him!
george washington was reluctant to speak out against it and owned over 300 slaves when he died.
john adams never owned slaves apparently. good for him!
thomas jefferson owned slaves (even had kids with some) but was anti-slavery, wiki suggests that he kept slaves because he was in debt up to his eyeballs. not good enough tom.
john jay was an abolitionist. good for him!
james madison was against slavery but never let his slaves go.
alex hamilton may or may not have owned slaves but his views on slavery are hard to pin down.

so that's three good guys, two guys who kept them even while against it, one guy who was probably ambivalent, and one hard core slave owner. a sample size of more founding fathers (and a google search more in-depth than two minutes per person) may shed more light on this topic.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

More Brains posted:

Hey Deep Hurting ever considered selling out and just getting published?

er, pretty much all the time, his problem isn't that he doesn't want to be published it's that (for whatever reasons) he doesn't get published that often. maybe he is bad at self promotion maybe newspaper editors don't like him much

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

axleblaze posted:

In general I love the Christian idea that God is an all powerful being that has a very specific plan for us all that can be hosed up by people having abortions, which he has no power what so ever to stop.

"would you have advised mary to get an abortion?!"

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

SteadfastMeat posted:

Wait how the hell can BIG PHARMA be trying to cover up vitamin D

Doesn't it come from the sun's rays or something

the secret cures BIG PHARMA doesn't want you to know about because apparently big pharma has no way to profit off vitamins

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Hyosho posted:

the food supplement industry is worth $50bn a year, folks, as compared to $600bn for "Big Pharma"
i wonder how many supplement companies are owned by pharmaceutical companies

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

dumb brunette posted:

success in helping outpopulate illegal immigrants, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

axleblaze posted:

I bet we could get a weeks or two worth of Mallard Fillmores ranting against the internet from Tinsley if we ever sent him Mallard Swillmore.

a whole week of mallard saying "what? i didn't say those things" because he assumes his readers are too dumb to understand parody