Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lord Commissar posted:

Added this to the FAQ:

What's all this millimeter talk? I build 1/48 models, how big is that in millimeters?
Wikiepedia actually has a chart on this (I know we're all shocked). Keep in mind the part that lists "mm" is for one foot, and miniatures are measured as being about 6 feet (since that's an average human height). The common wargame scales are:

code:
2mm:  ~1:1000
6mm:  1:285 or 1:300 (typically interchangable)
10mm: ~1:183
15mm: 1:100 or ~1:122
25mm: 1:87
28mm: ~1:72 (or ~1:60 if it's 28mm Heroic)
54mm: 1:9

This Wikipedia article also happens to be very misinformative. If you think "oh, I play 28mm miniatures, I should pick up some sweet 1/72 kits", be prepared to be dissapointed. 1/72 is actually closer to 20mm than even 25mm, and old scool 25mm are tiny dwarves compared to what we commonly call 28mm. I have no idea why that article isnt' changed.

Photo example:

From left to right: 15mm, 1/72, GW style 28mm, 1/35. As you can see, 1/72 is not that much bigger than 15mm, to the point where 1/72 kits of houses etc. can be used for 15mm. But a 1/72 kit will look miniscule even next to non-heroic old style 25mm. The only entry in that list that is worth a drat is that 1/100 and 15mm is close since you can get 1:100 aircrafts for FoW and such games for a cheap alternative for Battlefront kits.

EDIT:
Traditional Games > TG Discussion > Historicals: Sperging about scales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That's not so much Wikipedia's fault as it is the fault of manufacturers not sticking to standards. The article on wikipedia mentions the disparity, in fact, and references 28mm in several different scales.

True 28mm would be 1:65

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

That's not so much Wikipedia's fault as it is the fault of manufacturers not sticking to standards. The article on wikipedia mentions the disparity, in fact, and references 28mm in several different scales.

True 28mm would be 1:65

It is Wikipedia's fault for saing "1/72 = 28mm", which is just objectively wrong. I took a "proper" 1/72 model I had lying around, and from foot to top of head it was about 21, 22mm. There's no way you can stretch that to 25mm, even less non-heroic 28mm. Add to that the fact that mm scales are measured from foot to eye level, and you land pretty square on 1/72 = 20mm "proper, non-heroic" scale. It's not a matter of manufacturers not sticking to standards or calling their scales something they arent, it's jus that a human in 1/72 is 20-22 mm tall.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

It is Wikipedia's fault for saing "1/72 = 28mm", which is just objectively wrong. I took a "proper" 1/72 model I had lying around, and from foot to top of head it was about 21, 22mm. There's no way you can stretch that to 25mm, even less non-heroic 28mm. Add to that the fact that mm scales are measured from foot to eye level, and you land pretty square on 1/72 = 20mm "proper, non-heroic" scale. It's not a matter of manufacturers not sticking to standards or calling their scales something they arent, it's jus that a human in 1/72 is 20-22 mm tall.

Well, it -is- wikipedia and you -are- spergin' about it, so you could always edit that in yourself.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

Well, it -is- wikipedia and you -are- spergin' about it, so you could always edit that in yourself.

Just 'cause ahm spergin' don't no mean ah care nuff to go to edit no wikipedia. :colbert:

On a less polemic note, are there anyone doing 6mm out there? I've thought of the idea of making two opposite 6mm DBA armies for a one-off project one day, since it wouldn't be that expensive to do such a small army in 6mm. It is cheap, but is it fun to paint 6mm?

EDIT: and after all this wikipedia page is correct, and points out that 20mm is a good fit for 1/72 kits. So it's wikipedia against wikipedia! But really much of the misunderstandings are because people think mm are counted from base to eyes, not top of head, combined with scale creep and variations between companies. Final verdict is always a comparison with miniatures side by side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_figure_%28gaming%29

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 7, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

BeigeJacket posted:

I am.

The Mongrel Miniatures site has been down for a few days now, so I can't get any pics. They are armed with small arms, can't remeber if there's any RPG-ers, I'll dig them out tonight and have a look.

I don't have plat so lemme know how to contact you and we can work out the details.

I know what they look like - I've bought stuff from Mongrel before. My email is dangerDOToctopus AT googlemail.com

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
With my 28mm ww2 stuff from Artizan I used Corgi 1/50 vehicles- perfect match and they are prepainted! Cheating I know but they look good.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Serotonin posted:

With my 28mm ww2 stuff from Artizan I used Corgi 1/50 vehicles- perfect match and they are prepainted! Cheating I know but they look good.

How do they compare to GW's heroic 28mm Elephantitis sufferers?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Cakefool posted:

How do they compare to GW's heroic 28mm Elephantitis sufferers?

The pic above says it all.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

children overboard posted:

Thank you for posting this. They're so cute :3:

The best painted 2mm I've seen can be found here:

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/bobsgames/tiny_warriors.htm

And some really tempting 6mm

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ok, so now I have my 10mm AWI armies. I'm going to be basing them shortly, and I know I'll be doing 2x2.

However, I have some models that are marching, some that are standing around, and some that are firing. The ones that are matching can all go together, but I'm thinking the ones shooting should be in the front of a formation, whereas the dudes standing around would be in the back, waiting to move forward.

But then I thought about how weird that will look while they're marching, since they'd likely march in a column.

I guess it doesn't really matter, but I hate things looking odd.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

lilljonas posted:

The only entry in that list that is worth a drat is that 1/100 and 15mm is close since you can get 1:100 aircrafts for FoW and such games for a cheap alternative for Battlefront kits.

Except the aircraft Battlefront sell are 1:144.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

No Pun Intended posted:

Are they? Thats 10/12mm scale. Thats good to know as I need some planes for BKC.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

Serotonin posted:

Are they? Thats 10/12mm scale. Thats good to know as I need some planes for BKC.

Yes they are.. It greatly confused me at first, I am not sure why it is that way either. You could always look at the Wings of War miniatures as they also are 1:144.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

No Pun Intended posted:

Yes they are.. It greatly confused me at first, I am not sure why it is that way either. You could always look at the Wings of War miniatures as they also are 1:144.

Thats a good point, I never thought of that one. Ive got loads of WW1 wings of war planes but never tried the WW2 one.

Mind you WoW planes are like £9 each, which is ridiculously expensive in comparison to the rest of my 10mm scale armies.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

No Pun Intended posted:

Yeah, but 1:100 is close enough for you to use instead of the "official" ones. I'm not completely sure but I'd guess their choice of 1:144 is because the planes will be zooming around above the battlefield anyway, so strict scale adherence isn't that important between air and land.

I've seen lots of people use 1:100 die cast metal airplane toys for FoW.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I was looking for some 1:100 Skytrains for myself. If it was to represent aircraft flying above the battlefield, shouldn't they be be bigger? Since we look down onto the battlefield they and therefore they are are closer to us.

(Haha you were right, sperging about scale right here.)

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I know what they look like - I've bought stuff from Mongrel before. My email is dangerDOToctopus AT googlemail.com

Email sent! If it's ok, I'll take this oppurtunity to list a few other bits and bobs:

There's two extra copies of the Black Powder rules (with the free promo mini)- looking for 50% of retail which would be £15 and a TON of British WW1 (from Great War Miniature, Aly Morrisons company).

If you're interested post here, etc.

EDIT: The Great War is a really interesting WW1 ruleset from Warhammer Historical that came out last year, shame no-one seems to be interested in WW1...

EDIT 2: woot just treated myself to platinum, can now take PMs

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 8, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

PM me about black powder (If you can).

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 8, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No Pun Intended posted:

I suppose if you figure the planes are "way up there", going with a smaller scale isn't too bad.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

I suppose if you figure the planes are "way up there", going with a smaller scale isn't too bad.

Makes for cheaper planes that are easier to pack away and bring along, too. It is a nifty thing when they won't be standing side by side to the land models anyway, so the model scale difference don't matter as much as if it was between infantry and tanks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Among some other news from Flames of War, you can now download PDFs of many armies' special rules to have handy: http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=278

They say it's to Know Your Enemy, but I think it'd also be useful to have at hand for your own army.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

lilljonas posted:

The best painted 2mm I've seen can be found here:

These look like the MSPaint spraybrush. Got any crazy-rear end closeups of 2mm stuff?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cakefool posted:

These look like the MSPaint spraybrush. Got any crazy-rear end closeups of 2mm stuff?

2mm is the perfect opportunity to let your freehand drawing truly enrich your banners (it's supposed to read "SPQR" if you can't see it)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trouble Man posted:

I love them too, but Flames of War doesn't really model the difference between turret and hull-mounted guns particularly well. So it just kind of feels like StuGs are sort of better than Panzer IVs most of the time.
It does and it doesn't. The Panzer IV has much better RoF with the Co-Ax and Hull-mounted MGs. It can also wave the turret around! But it can also wave the turret around and end up having no front arc for incoming fire....

StuG's are also just more fun TBH.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah, we played our first FoW game(s) last weekend with the Open Fire! box, and I didn't get why the did turrets/arcs like that. The front armor on a tank has nothing to do with where the turret is facing.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I got the 'Open Fire' starter set for FoW, but thought it wasn't a very good introduction to the game. It's good to have a small rulebook and a few tanks, but the introduction missions are so boring I struggled to get into them. I think they really need some infantry and maybe some artillery or something to make it a more fun introduction.

That said, I fully intend to get into this game. I just hope it's a lot more fun than the introduction missions were. I've read battle reports and it really seems to get great when you have a large variety of units.

My only other experience with wargaming are Games Workshop games.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Commissar posted:

Yeah, we played our first FoW game(s) last weekend with the Open Fire! box, and I didn't get why the did turrets/arcs like that. The front armor on a tank has nothing to do with where the turret is facing.
The logic is that your troops are not retards and if they see the back of the turret they'll aim up a bit rather than at the thickest part of the armour.

Roma posted:

I got the 'Open Fire' starter set for FoW, but thought it wasn't a very good introduction to the game. It's good to have a small rulebook and a few tanks, but the introduction missions are so boring I struggled to get into them. I think they really need some infantry and maybe some artillery or something to make it a more fun introduction.

That said, I fully intend to get into this game. I just hope it's a lot more fun than the introduction missions were. I've read battle reports and it really seems to get great when you have a large variety of units.

My first ever game was a 700 point large skirmish with about three infantry platoons and one tank platoon a side. It was more fun that the entirety of my GW games career (barring stuff liek Necromunda and Blood Bowl) and we were playing on a step-through system of "I want to move now, what page is movement on?" the whole time.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I still stand behind Open Fire! as a good place to start with FoW. But you are right the game does get far more interesting when you start throwing variety into the mix, there are so many different things you can do.

After the game against Trouble Man, I was browsing the rules and found out (as per usual) we were doing something wrong.

The way air support works in FoW, for those who aren't familiar, is that you buy a dice pool (7,5,3) that represents the access to ground attack aircraft during the battle. Every time you use the pool you reduce the number of dice by 1, now this is where we are going wrong; we just figured that you ran out of dice and that was it for having the fly-boys save your worthless rear end.

Apparently you will always have one dice at your disposal if you have payed for air support. I guess my point is since you only need one of the dice in your pool to come up with the correct number, why spend the points on more dice?

I think a better another option is to buy the one dice and have the different levels of air support fix the number of planes that turn up (3, 2, 1) instead of having it randomised.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 9, 2010

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
Well having more dice to throw is handy - but it seems like buying 7 dice is mostly worth it if you are going to risk reducing your dice pool intercepting early on. Having more dice is a much bigger factor in trying to get the 6 you need, I guess?

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I read those rules in the rulebook too. I like the way it's set up. It seems to allow you to be able to request air support, but you have little control over when they show up and how many show up. Makes sense when you're controlling a small ground army.

Also, anyone had experience with the Firestorm campaign(s)? I heard you can play them as both a campaign system and as a separate board game (unless I misunderstood something?) Is this any good?

I've pretty much decided I'm going to concentrate on Late War eastern front armies for the first year or so while I'm getting into this game.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Roma posted:

I read those rules in the rulebook too. I like the way it's set up. It seems to allow you to be able to request air support, but you have little control over when they show up and how many show up. Makes sense when you're controlling a small ground army.

I don't really object to how the rules function now. I am just not so keen on never running out of dice.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 9, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

No Pun Intended posted:

After the game against Trouble Man, I was browsing the rules and found out (as per usual) we were doing something wrong.

Im glad our gaming group arent the only oens who do that!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

BeigeJacket posted:

There's two extra copies of the Black Powder rules (with the free promo mini)- looking for 50% of retail which would be £15 and a TON of British WW1 (from Great War Miniature, Aly Morrisons company).

If you're interested post here, etc.

I'll take a copy of Black Powder (our gaming group could do with an extra copy) if theres one left.

Mail me at amrypooins@gmail.com

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Roma posted:

Really? I had a lot of fun with the intro missions. They taught me quite a few things, at least about the armor rules. And I think tanks are less daunting for people to start with.

I mean, no, it's not Skull Pass or Macragge, but I thought it was a decent introduction (plus it's still cheaper than the main rulebook, and you get free armor).

Arquinsiel posted:

The logic is that your troops are not retards and if they see the back of the turret they'll aim up a bit rather than at the thickest part of the armour.

I'll admit I don't know if this is the case, but it would seem to me like a turret would be armored the same way all around.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

No Pun Intended posted:

I don't really object to how the rules function now. I am just not so keen on never running out of dice.
You can run out of planes. Most air support choices I've seen have been three or less. You don't get to keep rolling if they've all been shot down.

Lord Commissar posted:

I'll admit I don't know if this is the case, but it would seem to me like a turret would be armored the same way all around.
My research leads me to tentively state "they are not" but I'm not 100% on that. In any case, the magazine tends to be at the back of the turret anyway, so aim up and pray for a breach.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Lord Commissar posted:

Some tanks had equal thickness armor on all sides of their turrets, some did not. Don't really have any numbers on if the majority had same thickness or the minority. But i am assuming in a effort to speed up game play they just decided to treat anything but the front of the turret as side armor.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I just ordered 96 infantry dudes. :argh:

Ok so it's 6mm so that is one 5 quid blister and I'm just trying it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

I just ordered 96 infantry dudes. :argh:

Ok so it's 6mm so that is one 5 quid blister and I'm just trying it out

They'll be really lonely and sad without lots of tiny friends...