Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I don't think you understand the purpose of the fax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't think you understand the purpose of the fax.

Nobody born after 1990 does. Nor should they.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Nobody born after 1990 does. Nor should they.

Make that 1980. I have never sent or received a fax in my life.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Okay, you're heading down the right track. Just keep thinking about what function that property of fax machines could be used for.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Annoying tech support?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Paper airplanes?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Serotonin posted:

Paper airplanes?
Ah here... you of all people should understand that it's to stop people bothering them while they stockpile for the next show.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Tbf Navwar are the only company I can think of who operate by fax and thats run by one old bloke. He gets let off because despite that you will get your products faster than most companies with an online shop and not only does he use 1980s communication tech but he charges 1980s prices. Navwar rocks

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The real purpose of a fax machine is a litmus test to see if you should bother dealing with whomever you're corresponding.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 19, 2014

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

DJ Dizzy posted:

Seeing as americans now get Pershings, is american armor viable to play now? Or will it still get murdered to loving panthers.

American Armor has always been good and after BG&G became the best in the game. Pershings are nice but not required.

Stop listening to who ever told you American armor was bad, they clearly don't know what they gently caress they are doing.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Numlock posted:

American Armor has always been good and after BG&G became the best in the game. Pershings are nice but not required.

Stop listening to who ever told you American armor was bad, they clearly don't know what they gently caress they are doing.

Aight, thanks! (Also, BG&G?)

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

DJ Dizzy posted:

Blood Guts and Glory.

The reason why a lot of newer players fail with American armor is that they try to slug it out with German tanks at long range. Naturally the German player stomps them good and then they try to hide their armor when ever the big cats are about. Eventually they give up on it.

DF smoke and Stabilizers may not look that good to a newer player as well (Stabs gives you a penalty to hit for increased ROF, and Smoke does no damage), but these are the two things good players exploit the hell out of when running US armor to win.

Use DF Smoke to conceal yourself from enemy tanks and get in close, use Stabs to keep your ROF up and get side shots on anything you can't kill from the front. Always use stabs, it means its harder to hit but you get more chances, which means you can score more hits than you otherwise could of. Two dice needing 5's to hit has about the same odds of generating 1 hit as one die needing a 4. But the thing is if you roll two 5's then you now have two hits instead of 1!!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

DJ Dizzy posted:

Blood, Guts, and Glory! It was the primary book for US Armor before Bridge at Remagen was released, and to an extent it still is, because US Armor is great. Sure, you don't have access to heavily armed and armored monstrosities like Panthers, Tigers, and Jagdtigers, but the great thing about playing US Armor is that you don't need them, since you can upgrade your basic M4/M4A1 Shermans to do whatever you need. Want to clear out entrenched infantry? Basic Shermans come with 2 regular machine guns and a top-mounted .50 cal AAMG, which also serves as a deterrent to enemy aircraft. Machine guns don't suit you? Well, you can upgrade one tank in your company or simply take a platoon of 105mm howitzer tanks, which have both slightly better armor and a Breakthrough gun. Let's also not forget that all Shermans get a special rule enabling regular infantry to act as Recon teams if they're in base-to-base contact with your tank, removing those pesky Gone-to-Ground penalties from tageting specific enemy teams. Tanks got you down? 76mm guns en masse can take down anything short of a King Tiger, and later-model Shermans have the mobility needed for manuvering to get those side shots if necessary. M4A3E2 "Jumbo" tanks are also ridiculous, as they've got twice the armor as a standard Sherman and have a special rule which makes it so the enemy HAS to allocate their shots to it first, pretty much guaranteeing they'll need to hit with multiple shots to do any damage. US Armor also has access to fantastic support options, be it solid artillery, air support (For which you can buy an additional upgrade to ensure you almost always get 2 aircraft), mechanized infantry, paratroopers, and one of the most broken units in the game, Tank Destroyers, which get to pop up practically wherever they feel like and put up to 8 AT14 FP 3+ shots into whoever's side armor you don't like.

tl;dr Americans are great, would play again.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 20, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

M4A3E2 "Jumbo" tanks are also ridiculous, as they've got twice the armor as a standard Sherman and have a special rule which makes it so the enemy HAS to allocate their shots to it first, pretty much guaranteeing they'll need to hit with multiple shots to do any damage.

Everything said by the above two posters is correct. But just to clarify this bit, the player taking the hits allocates them, and can treat the Jumbo as having the lowest armor (lowest armor is allocated hits first). You don't have to, as a Jagdtiger will still eat your lunch, but you can opt to take the hit on a less useful vanilla 75mm than risk the death of a Jumbo.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Serotonin posted:

Tbf Navwar are the only company I can think of who operate by fax and thats run by one old bloke. He gets let off because despite that you will get your products faster than most companies with an online shop and not only does he use 1980s communication tech but he charges 1980s prices. Navwar rocks

Irregular website rules. It's so back to the 90s.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I want to download the Irregular Miniatures order list, fill it in by hand, send it by snail mail, and pay for it with a cheque. While wearing a monocle and tophat.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I've ordered from 'Warlord US' and it still comes from Britain unfortunately. They told me they'll have a warehouse here soon. Not a bad turnaround time even then. I've ordered some modeling stuff from Poland and it takes forever.

I think my favorite site is Offensive Miniatures. Such amazing models and a great branding style. I've ordered a few times and they show up fast.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Crosspost from oath and miniatures thread, some more non-WW2 content for y'all. Decided to add some riflemen to my AWI Continental army from the new Perry boxed set.

nevermind the charleville musket on the right, there werent many hunter shirt arms

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Charlevilles were pretty common after Saratoga.

Looks great! None of those guys should have beards, though.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I'm just going for the backcountry "Haven't had a chance to shave in a few days" look, and the charleville is slightly problematic because those are riflemen :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I know, it's just a misconception I have to fight often in reenacting, so I'm sensitive to it even the least bit.

They really are nicely done, though.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Maybe I should start getting into AWI. Could be a fun thing, even just to paint. Also going to be moving at the end of September and I can't take my FoW stuff with me. At least not yet, anyways.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cross-posting oaths!

Man, I'm super-happy with how these guys turned out. This gives me a total of 17 Romanian stands ... which means I'm still nowhere near getting them on the table. But now at least I've got an HQ!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

moths posted:

Cross-posting oaths!

Man, I'm super-happy with how these guys turned out. This gives me a total of 17 Romanian stands ... which means I'm still nowhere near getting them on the table. But now at least I've got an HQ!

drat, those guys are beautiful. The drab greens give them an almost monochromatic look, which is awesome.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Thanks! I mean, yeah Romania gets credit for picking out the colors but I ran with it as best I could.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
OK, Saga Crescent and Cross chat.

I haven't got the book yet. I do have the Conquest Norman Knights and Norman Infantry sets and a blister of 12 Norman slingers from Dark Age.

Is the following a legal army in Crescent and Cross

4 Hearthguard Knights
4 Hearthguard Knights
8 Warriors w spear/shield
8 Warriors w spear/shield
12 Levy Slingers

I was thinking first crusade era, because that means using Norman gear is absolutely fine. Someone remind me if circle or kite shields are correct.

But this is a legal force and I just need to add a Warlord?

And is anywhere doing plastic mounted Saracens yet?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
The numbers/types units "legal" per the saga rules ; so it should be legal in C&C although equipment may differ. I only put legal in quotes because the build really depends on the points you are playing with; currently you've got 5, most games I've seen are usually 4 or 6 points.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I got Black Powder: Rebellion! today. I haven't really read it yet, so I can't start the :spergin:, but so far they've already started winning my heart by including Hubbardton.

E: I also got the September issue of Wargames Illustrated, and in it are some thoughts on gas attacks for WWI so hooray!

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 25, 2014

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
To my surprise, I also got my WGI, I wasn't expecting it till later in the week. Since I am away later in the week it means I'm not going miss it and have to wait till I get back. Plus I can read it on the plane :woop:

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I got Black Powder: Rebellion! today. I haven't really read it yet, so I can't start the :spergin:, but so far they've already started winning my heart by including Hubbardton.

E: I also got the September issue of Wargames Illustrated, and in it are some thoughts on gas attacks for WWI so hooray!

Speaking of which

http://christopher-bunkerhill.blogspot.com/2014/08/hubbardton-1777.html

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Going to be an expensive month what with Rebellion and Crescent and the Cross

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I see Warlord have rather cleverly released an article about Bolt Action aimed at 40k players emphasisng Rick Priestly's and Alessio Cavatore GW pedigree as well as how cheap and simple entry is to it as a system.

http://www.warlordgames.com/guide-t..._eid=d6d3b23617

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Colonial could you help me with something?

I'm painting up a group of American light infantry next, and I'm wondering how I should paint the peaked caps. Do you have any good source images?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This website is as old as poo poo but: http://www.midcoast.com/~martucci/2nh/

Some of it will also depend on the unit and the time/place.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

This website is as old as poo poo but: http://www.midcoast.com/~martucci/2nh/

Some of it will also depend on the unit and the time/place.

Oooh, even embedded music. This is peak Historicals right here, oh yeah.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I just picked up Pike and Shotte and ended up with a rules question that I hope someone in the thread can answer. What do carbines and flintlock muskets do, rules-wise? Are they just the same as firelocks but named differently since they pertain to different eras? I looked all through the book and I couldn't find an actual entry for either of them.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Found this little guy in my box from Foundry. So awesome :hellyeah:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Is that a model of Christopher Lee?

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 30, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

These Warlord WW2 plastics are pretty nice (my photo is not).

They actually have trigger fingers that fit inside trigger guards. Imagine that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yes, the early war Warlord Germans is a nice kit as well. Late war, slightly less so.