Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Have many of you guys into Flames of war played Axis and Allies miniatures? I picked up the starter and a couple of the booster packs (random contents) on a whim and its great. Can get a game set up and done in an hour since most armies are 2-4 tanks and a handful of infantry.

The problem is the booster packs are random and I don't know what is in them. So I have a set of units that heavily favors the Allies. Rather than buying 1000 booster packs and hoping I get lucky I understand that Flames of war Tank minis are the same scale as the AAM tanks, but I haven't found a clear answer on whether Infantry and things like Anti-tank guns are the same scale?

It would bother me a lot if it looked like half of my units appeared to be hobbits or 20ft tall giants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

How about those Point of Contact 15mm minis? They seem to be what I wanted but they looked a little small, but I have no way of making sure short of buying a few and doing a side by side comparison.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I think I'm going to start using FOW models instead of buying more AAM models as they look better and the more I read about FOW the more I like it. Seems simple enough to buy single FOW models and use them for AAM games.

space pope posted:

I tried sending a PM but I guess you don't have any. email me at pmglasser at gmail dot com if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer but my nemesis picked up a few more boosters earlier this week and it roughly restored the balance of forces. Got a king tiger and a grab-bag of tank destroyers. I doubt we will be picking up more since the only thing I want that I don't have is a Panther of some sort, and I can just buy a FOW model.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

After playing a few games of AAM my friend and I are already talking about rules changes and scenario making. Seems the Flames of war campaign books would be a good guide as nether of us are huge WWII nerds so we need a starting point.

So If I was interested in Flames of War and wanted to play various American and German forces in Northern France I would pick up the Turning Tide and Earth and Steel books?

"Why not just play FOW?"

My friend and I are interested in keeping things small as we have limited space in which to play and both of us are wary of dropping a huge amount of money in the game. We already have a lot more AAM units than I ever intended to buy (made the mistake of giving my friend a blank check with "Sure just pick up some stuff and I'll re-inverse you 50%... OH GOD YOU BOUGHT HOW MUCH???)

We also like AAM rule set (and hexes). Also both of us played WH40k years ago and that kind of burned us out on huge battles were we have to argue about whether some guy has LOS on some tank through some tiny crack in some bit of terrain we can't agree should have been there or 1 inch to the left because somebody is a hamfisted moron who....

In any case I'm planning on picking up Open Fire as our interests are American and German tanks.

Battle Arts and crafts

150 points of Germans trying to hold a defensive line vs every goddamn Russian (~300 points) we could muster. Did not end well for the Huns.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I visited a couple of local FOW clubs and so my brother and I are converting our AAM minis into a FOW army. I ended up going with British because we had a pile of Cromwell's and Sherman VC's, which along with a company box of British infantry I found in a 50% off bargain bin gives me a 1000 point army from the 11th Armored Division list.

Googling for AAR's of people using the list I can't find anything but a few random forum posts complaining about it being somewhat cheesy.

Any of you guys have any impressions of it to share?

Official Briefing and PDF army list:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=2596

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Speaking of Flames of war, why isn't there a mega-thread for it? Seems popular enough.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

You are like some sort of cat lady but instead of hording cats in your house you horde posts about historical war games in this thread. :colbert:

Also where the hell do I get 1:144 Hawker Typhoons aside from battlefront or some random eBay auction (gently caress paypal).

Numlock fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 10, 2011

Numlock
May 19, 2007

From what I understand, Red Bear and Grey Wolf are already V3 so if you are interested at all in Eastern Front stuff its safe to buy them. Both books are awesome.

Flames of war is a solid war game that happens to be WWII themed. It is set up so that you can play any army against any other (as long as they are from the same period, though even this is flexible) so me and some random other guy I've never meet can sit down and play without a lot of prep work.

This seems to irk more traditional war gamers (especially WWII ones) because historically, battles between evenly matched (at least in theory) forces never happen and you can get very un-historical match ups like the game I played last night. A doubles game where my Hungarian Armor and an allied army of Finnish Infantry crushed two American Armor players in (judging from the terrain we were playing on) Italy.

Then as far as the rules go I personally would like it better if you alternated phases in a turn like how Axis and Allies miniatures is set up. Its a small thing though.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Those bases look really nice, what did you put on them? I originality wanted something similar to that but so far all I've gotten is crumbly and soft results. Going with Spackle now (British Paratroopers so they are going to based as "muddy field").

Numlock
May 19, 2007

moths posted:

e: vvv thanks! Further confusing the issue for me were stats for MG Teams, Rifle Teams, and then for Rifle/MG Teams. I'll go with what we're talking here.

I wouldn't worry about it as it would take a sharp eye to tell a stand of SMG troops from a Pioneer stand when you are standing above a table and looking down at them. S

Because of this you might consider leaving the edges of the bases un-flocked/puttied/etc so that you can color them. Makes it easy when you and your opponent know that the stands with a red border are SMG teams while the ones with Blue and Green borders are standard Rifle/MG teams.

Also consider basing your infantry as 4 to a medium stand and 2 to a small stand, makes them easier to paint and you might be able to squeeze out a pioneer squad or two with the left overs.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

Candians... midwar

There is one official (meaning its just as valid and legal as any list from a printed book) Midwar briefing for the Canadian forces that took part in the disastrous raid on Dieppe here.

Lucky the Canadian forces in that raid used Churchill tanks, the most British of tanks. Sadly that seems to be your only tank option.

Now one thing you should probably do, if you haven't done so already, is check around your area for Flames of war groups and see what periods they typically play in. It may be a bad idea to start off in Mid War if everybody in your area plays Late War only.

Edit: I'll add that even if it is the case that everybody plays late-war, with the British its not hard to make an army that can be fielded in ether late or mid war. Generally the only things that change are points costs and organization of the units. For example the Churchill III is also available in Late War, the main difference being that its much cheaper partly because there were more of them but mostly because its not as good compared to newer tanks of the period.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 7, 2012

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Since your friends are doing Infantry companies you guys might consider doing Infantry aces. It might keep your Russian playing friend from going nuts (or giving up) when he realizes just how much painting hes going to have to do.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Lightweights- Ive just painted 3 platoons of Russians in 2 evenings.

So you are like 10% done... :)

I'm going to have to attempt the same, as I want to take my British Airborne to a tournament in a few weeks and I don't have much time I can set aside for painting 1500 points of infantry. As I type this about half are sitting in slowly drying spackle putty.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I can't wait to get air support models for every army in FOW for little to nothing as every body who ever bought any will have two extra models they will never use.

I'll also report that I now have one of three platoons painted and based. They also don't look that dreadful for a first attempt. YEA!!!

Photos maybe later as I don't have a light box and its dark out.

Sero isn't a fun haver.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

They are changing how Airsupport works in V3 so hopefully they have made it more useful. But yeah as it is I'm not planning on using it in any sort of competitive list.

BeigeJacket posted:

Does anyone know what changes they have made to 3rd edition? (I've only heard about the new Hens and Chicks)

Take anything you hear about V3 with a grain of salt as all the play testers for V3 are under an NDA and so anybody saying such and such about various rules is probably dealing in wild speculation based on the few tidbits that have come out.

Not that it's stopping people in the official forums from declaring that: Infantry is useless and tanks will rule everything, Infantry is overpowered and Tanks are useless, air support is going to be overpowered, soviets have been nerfed, soviets are going to be overpowered, battlefront is going to go anime...

So with that in mind:

Assault rules have been changed quite a bit, supposedly to simplify them and get rid of dumb exploits involving independent teams and interlaced platoons.

Gone to Ground gun teams will get a 3+ save.

Gun teams in assault (with conditions) can op to shoot at the tanks side armor rather than make a normal assault "swing" against top armor.

Air support rules have changed, hopefully to make it better.

More missions and deployment rules that hopefully will mean the end of "Infantry in name only" lists.

Transports apparently get some rule that supposedly doesn't make them as much of a death trap as they are now.

Wheeled vehicles will move faster than they do now.

Turreted Tanks will get a rule that hits against their side armor MAY become hits against their front armor IF their turret is facing the teams that shot at it.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 10, 2012

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I believe the general consensus is that the Nebelwerfer/Panzerwerfer is your best bang for the points in terms of German artillery. Don't think I've seen anybody ever take anything else in my local group, which is fairly large and active in tournaments.

My advice: Every time I've fired a bombardment I've subsequently wished I smoked the unit instead. 420 smoke every turn.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Don't forget they have an extra point of front armor, which in flames of war makes a ton of difference in how hard they are to kill.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I believe they do, if they are assaulted from behind the 180 degree front arc (where their hull mounted machine gun can shoot) they don't get defense fire. Not that this ever happens.

Also v3 will give turreted tanks a small bonus (this was from a battlefront employee), see my previous posts.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

KSAF Staff Report posted:

Finnish Stuff

The options are Fearless Vet and Confident Vet. As long as you don't plan on making a ton of morale checks then the downgrade can be worth it for the points break on stuff.

The BT42 gets breakthrough gun now so if your local opponents use tons of infantry its an obvious choice. Just keep it 16.5 inches away from any infantry and it should be safe, especially if the opponents anti-armor stuff has more important targets to deal with.

They do have the option to take field fortifications, something to look into if you play against the smarmier Allied lists a lot.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Ataxerxes posted:

LW Grenadierkompanie (as per Gray Wolf)

You might get more use out of another anti-tank gun or two instead of the Machine Guns. That is unless you commonly face Strelkovy hordes.

If you are planning on doing a lot of assaulting with the StuGs, I strongly suggest getting 5 of them. Three tanks is too weak IMHO to do anything other than hide behind infantry or maybe be used in Ambush.

Don't worry about leaving a point or 10 behind when designing a list, its not going to decide the game if you take a 1475 point army against a guy that used 1500.

That looted tank platoon is probably there more for fun than any actual use. Not much a single tank can do (unless its a King Tiger) and in competitive play people are going to pick on it to get a easy victory point on you.

So I would drop the machine guns and add another StuG or two if you can. If you can't or don't want to take an odd number of platoons I would go with a unit of mortars. Can't go wrong with another smoke template.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

I am concerned, because I can see some weakness in the ability to take objectives, and the two battles I won were not really due to the overall composition of the army. (First battle was against MW American Armored Rifle Company, my opponent just sat and hid half his army behind a ridge line so I couldn't shoot at it (scared of my 8.8s), and the PIII/IV squad snuck it's way to an objective completely unopposed.

Anyways, 1750 (1730) Points of Battaglione Bersaglieri

I guess he didn't take any thing that could do smoke bombardments? Because that's going to be your problem I think.

If somebody smokes your 8.8's or smokes something in front of them then they have effectively taken them out of the game. If I was playing against your list I would do so and consider it points well spent even if my artillery (I always take something that can do a smoke bombardment) did nothing else the entire game.

I'm assuming that in Mid-War there are just as many smoke bombardment capable guns as there is in Late-War as I'm not very familiar with Mid-War.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

PSC Panthers are out!!! LINK

Hopefully by the time I get around to starting my soviets (probably next year as it seems the local club wants to do a Early war League and or escalation campaign) I'll be able to go 100% PSC.

YF19pilot posted:

He literally put nothing on the half of the board that wasn't blocked by that ridge.

That's really pathetic.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I know at some point I said I would post some photos. Unfortunately today is a overcast day so meh.

The :pwn:

It is the second tank I painted and my first attempt to do German camo. Simple greened it a while ago and gave up on Germans.

Something i "finished" last night.

Need to work on not being so messy when trying to pick out the tiny rear end ropes and such.

A Cromwell

Group shot:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm still reading through it, but it looks good.

I'm annoyed because I only had the mini-rule book. gently caress YOU BATTLEFRONT I'M GOING BACK TO 40K.

Realy though, could you give a summery of the assault rules?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

^^^
Seriously never go back to that store. Even if its the only one in 100 miles.

I bet I end up with one anyway. My local store is supposedly getting like 17 and there are bound to be people who have multiple rule books (for whatever reason) or maybe bought the book there but have moved away, will get it at some other store, or don't play flames of war because they are Serotonin.

Just in the last hour I've read a rumor that v3 will change how smoke works again, chiefly in that it won't block LOS anymore.

In other news I am now done with my 7th armored list (in that I have all the models and most of them painted).

HQ:

2x Cromwell
1x Cromwell ARV

Combat Platoons:

3x Cromwell Platoons (3 Cromwells and 1 Firefly)

Recce stuff:

3x Stuart IV

Support stuff:

4x M10C

4x 25pdr (corps)

Next up, Hungarians. The amount of options axis lists can take is making me dizzy.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Stop tempting me into starting WW2, no-one plays it around here anyway. :(

Really? Generally in gaming stores I've been to its obvious that the two most popular games are War machine/Hordes and Flames of War.

Those plastics would be a good way of getting two small armies together and infecting your local players...

Edit:

There are like 40 tanks in this photo 40!!!! and this was only a 1575 point game. We got there an hour and half late so we had slim pickings on the terrain though. :(

Incidentally we settled which was better, US Shermans vs British Cromwells. CROMWELLS WON DAWG AAHHHH YEAAH.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 28, 2012

Numlock
May 19, 2007

lilljonas posted:

At our club it is pretty much only 40K and Warmachine. There was a short flash of FoW about a year ago, but it died out quite quickly and only 2 or 3 people had any armies for it. But yes, with cheap plastics it's not such a big feat to put two opposing armies together.

But even when me and the only other person at the club who is serious about historicals put together enough DBA armies for a 6 player tournament, it wasn't enough to get interest started. Historicals are so dead in this area. :(

I would just start playing with that guy (unless you hate him or something) once or twice a month if not more often. If people see you guys playing it regularly then people will become interested. Also I bet you that at least once a month somebody walks in and asks about Flames of war only to be told that "nobody plays it here" and then never shows up again. That would change if they were told instead, "Oh well there are those guys who play every 2nd Saturday of the month..."

First task would be to find those old Flames of War guys and get them playing again with you. Or at least scoop up their armies on the cheap.

Painted armies and non-lovely terrain also helps a lot. People walking in will see a table with some poorly glued together and unpainted models among bits of garbage randomly placed here and there, and then they will see your painted armies on a board that looks like a photograph of Northern France (or maybe Russia, or North Africa) and they will gravitate to your table.

I was talking to the guy who is basically the leader of our local group (he tends to be the guy organizing everything) about our terrain problem. It is because in the last two years his group has gone from him and another dude playing it in a corner to about 12. We apparently have even started annoying the warmachine/hordes guys because one certain days we will take up every table in the store.

Also to be frank, what i've heard on the internet (the source of all truth) but also confirmed by my own eyes, is that Historicals in general are a thing people don't get into until after ~25. Seems that the point were stuff like Elves and SpaceNinjas lose a lot of their appeal and recreating the battle of Manzikert becomes more appealing. So you might just be SOL if everybody in your group is 16-20.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I'm not familiar with US infantry or the books you are using them out of (I only have turning tide) but it seems like you have a lot of artillery and not much anti-tank.

How I run my British infantry (Ether 50th TT or Paratroopers) is that I max out on combat platoons (3 in both cases).

Then I take something to smoke, generally the cheapest artillery I can (4 guns). This is because artillery is useful for two things: Pinning bunched up infantry and smoke. Against tanks it's nearly useless.

Then I take two anti-tank focused units. Generaly tanks of one type or another but anti-tank guns are fine. Max out on the platoons.

If I have any points left over I go for more infantry or a second artillery unit (generally mortars) but once again only for smoke.

So based on what I can see in Turning Tide (I'll assume the list you are using is similar) I would:

Drop the HMGs as they are useless unless everybody you play is in love with Soviet infantry hordes.

Drop the 155's,

Take 4 M5 guns instead of 2, and add all bazooka teams.

Add another anti-tank unit, Probably Shermans.

Max out on bazookas, every a good US infantry list should have 4 bazookas per platoon. Only 4 in your entire company is shameful.

If you have any points left over, tank another infantry platoon or mortars.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Train vs Desert fort??? Sign me up! Love those pictures.

Serotonin posted:

This this a thousand times this.

Thats why points values sort of suck. Id much rather look at a real life TOE/Orbat and develop a list based on that than just trying to work out what gives the most cheese for the points cost. I should add I dont play FOW though.

Maybe I'm operating under a different impression of what "cheese" is but I haven't encountered anything that remotely resembles cheese in FoW.

Cheese is an army or unit that's ether inherently overpowered or makes use of rules exploits/loop holes to totally dominate the game? Right? If anything is overpowered it's smoke in 2nd edition (I've heard its going to change in 3rd).

I guess you mean that tailoring your force so that it can handle situations that the force you are based it on never encountered historically (like say a US armor Company against a Soviet Tank Company) is cheese? I don't get it.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Oh yeah I agree on the power gaming. But people like winning and hate losing.

I kind of regret building my 7th armored list because its the same as every other 7th armored list (seriously go check it out) and its one of the "best" lists. I didn't know when I started HONESTLY I DIDN'T KNOW. Now I feel like everybody thinks I only have the army because some guy won a tournament with it. I just like ugly tanks.

I'm going to make up for it by playing some of the wackier Axis lists. Luchs, Turans and Butepanzers oh my!!!

I wish tournaments were better about being themed (Eastern front only for example) and organized (being Axis vs Allied only) but its hard to do so.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

For example the Hungarians (depending on which source you use) got anywhere from 2-5 panthers and like 3-10 tigers sometime during the fighting prior to the siege of Budapest so that means you can field lots of Panthers or Tigers in your Hungarian forces. Probably like 2-3 at most would be a better representation of it.

But then you can only field Turan II's and Zrínyi II's (the only decent native Hungarian tanks) in penny packets of 3 which is too small to accomplish anything and is actually punished by how the morale rules work in FoW. If you aren't going to be terribly historical at least be unhistorical in good ways.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

How does the Toldi fare? I have a soft spot in my heart for it after getting to play on one as a kid.

By Late War standards it's a medium tank that has slightly thicker armor than your typical armored car but (upgraded with a better gun) it can hurt most tanks (if you get them in the side). It's a Recce team and dirt cheap as far as tanks go, just make sure your opponent has more important targets to shoot!

Edit: Sero is this you???
Edit2: Sorry wrong post (they are all awful).

Some grog over at TMP posted:

Am I the only person to play FOW that doesn't like them. I feel they do not give a flavour of WW2 engagements, they are too like Warhammer. I throw a handful of dice to hit, you roll a handful of dice to save and then I roll more dice to kill; everyone is also trying to build killer armies; the figures are expensive like GW, thankfully other manufacturers are providing alternatives. Finally, they keep releasing new versions of their rulebook (again like GW).

I prefer historical scenarios. Don't know if FOW would allow one KV1 to hold off a numerically superior force. I don't want to see 9 Char B's on the table either that's not how the French used them.

I think if they were a sci-fi set I could relate to them. I know I will probably be called a heretic for this.

In their favour though they have brought back interest in WW2.

:v:

FoW is a bad game because you roll dice in it to see what happens when you do stuff. Just like Warhammer (a popular and successful game) so it must be bad. Also tweaking the rules every six years???? UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Numlock fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 30, 2012

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Serotonin posted:

What were we saying about FOW and powergaming again? :p

See here is where you show your ignorance of FoW. According to the super serious "every list must be competitive or else you are dumb" players, Tiger I's are worthless and in fact are the worst tank in the game because they only have front armor 9 and anti-tank 13. There is no situation ever that is even possible in FoW where their long range and superior side armor could possibly be useful.

We all know that 4-6 panthers hiding behind a hill never get smoked or flanked. That's also impossible.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

A LGS here in Houston is getting 85 of them according to a facebook update from them.

Edit: A madness has gripped me and my brother for we have started to build Terrain for Flames of War.

Basically its going to be a bunch of 1 foot long Hedge and Rock wall sections.

Progress shot of two sections along with more tanks:

I'm tempted to post it on TMP so that some aging grogs will pull a hissy fit over rocks but effort.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 5, 2012

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Is it just me or when you try to go to The Plastic Solider Company's website you get a login screen?

Edit: My brother just picked up the Blitzkreig Book because he wants to field a Armored Train so now I need like 10 Panzer 38's (because I can use them in mid war as Hungarians). Where the hell are you people buying them from? Zvezda Kits that is.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 7, 2012

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Test Bocage/hedge done. Already started on more as its turned out to be simple and easy to make. Grogs going to pop a blood vessel because we used 15mm ACW war sections to give them some variety (we couldn't find any other shade of green for foliage at the hobby store)

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Kick your friend in the nuts.

Based on his definition, you shouldn't play a game anyway, you should just meticulously reenact the exact battles to the minutest detail. Every soldier should be represented, painted exactly as he looked on that day, and he must follow the exact same path as the real soldier took.

See this is the real "problem" with FoW. There are too many players so it's impossible to get them all coordinated so that only historical battles between historical forces take place.

You need to whittle down the dozens or so FoW players to a more manageable 2-4 per 500 square miles through elitism, insistence on absolute historical correctness, poor hygiene and a hostility to new players who don't have PHD's in European History.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

You were the guy starting off with Mid-war right? If so then it looks good. Also start using (if not already) V3 rules as it gives your 6-pounders some bonuses compared to V2 (gone to ground save 3+).

When you guys do go up in points, go for some armor and recon units. You have plenty of infantry and artillery.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

For anyone in the know, how does Zvezda 1/100 vehicles compare to FoW? I'm thinking of picking up a few things to make a German or Spanish Blue Division on the cheap.

I have a few of their Russian Tanks (maybe the start of a early war soviet force once they get around to releasing lists for them).

A bit smaller than the battlefront models (but not so much that people will be calling bullshit on them), missing a lot of detail compared to battlefront as well.

Overall, its a good model for the money.

MohawkSatan posted:

Edit: Yep, third player is being the Russians. And he's doing the Human Wave. He's going to be mauling us with numbers.

Consider taking some Universal Carriers with the extra machine guns. Should tear soviet infantry hordes a new one while not being tied to one spot (like regular HMG's).

Numlock fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

While not "historical" you could do something along the lines of wargame out a fictional insurgency in a fictional country. Red Brigades vs The Gendarmeries sort of thing.

Not certain how well it would sit with players and onlookers if you decided that anything goes (like bombing coffee shops and schools). "What are you guys playing?" "well Bob over there is trying to gun down a bunch of school childern..."