Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
More Manufacturers/suppliers:

Gripping Beast
Artizan Design
Victrix
Wargames Factory
Warlord games
WarModelling

Wargames Illustrated is a monthly magazine dedicated to all things historical. Worth a look if you are interested in starting some form of historical wargame.

Wargame Vault Has a whole slew of different PDF rule books for purchase and download. Not all on offer there are for historical wargaming, but there are some available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

Barry the Sprout posted:

I'm hoping to have some skirmish games using the Sharp Practice rules (http://toofatlardies.co.uk/), which look quite fun.

I forgot I had a copy of Sharp Practice flitting around. Do tell us how it plays as it looks interesting.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Osprey produce military reference books that pretty much cover every subject imaginable, from tactics to uniforms, equipment and vehicles.

Worth a look if you really want to get the amount of buttons on a coat or what shade of green that tank really should be right. Or if you are interested in reading up on the particular force you have chosen I guess.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Lord Commissar posted:

Yeah, get D Minus 1.

Do this.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

PaintVagrant posted:

What is the company that makes all the plastic multipart historicals? Ive wondered about them, they look like nice quality, sort of GW-ized plastics.

Also Victrix and Wargames Factory.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

lilljonas posted:

Flames of War help please.

So I'll be getting a ton of German infantry that I'll try to shape into something fieldable. I'm about to order some bases from Litko Systems anyway, so I thought I would pick up some FoW bases in advance.

Now, I don't know much about the basing system. Litko have Small, Medium and Large bases available. Am I right that the medium base is the usual one for infantry? I've seen snipers on very small bases, but I have no idea of what the large bases are for. Will I have any use of these, or should I just pick up a huge bunch of medium bases?

Yes the medium base is the standard for infantry (4 per base), small bases hold snipers, command teams, Bazookas/Panzerfausts.

I haven't come across large bases but I guess they are for the really big artillery pieces.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

muggins posted:

I don't think they're out yet. Totally cool models though. I don't see many people wanting to play the Viets; there is literally no draw when you look at the awesome choppers the Americans get. I understand it is historical etc. and I'm up for playing any side but most people (including me) will buy a few choppers

The rules were in Wargames Illustrated 266 (Dec '09)

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Lord Commissar posted:

I'm excited about some of the Victrix 54mm plastics. I'd never play a 54mm wargame (Jesus Christ, how big would THAT table have to be!?), but it could be interesting to paint up.

So am I, I was going to split the box with a friend as I don't really need 16 just for painting.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Today I played 2 games of flames of war vs fellow poster Trouble man. My 101st Airborne with armour support (D -1) vs his Panzer Company (Fortress Europe)

The first game was a free for all where I got tabled by his StuGs while most of my armour dicked around with the Tigers. My 75mm Howitzers were moderately successful and my air support was worse than late war Luftwaffe with some lovely Stukas (to my eternal shame).

Although in that game I had some atrocious dice as my opponent will attest, I did learn a few things.

1) M10s are paper tigers and really need to use their disengagement rules to be effective.

2) As Scary as Tigers look; they aren't game winning death machines and can be ignored

3) I hate StuGs

The second game was using the Hold the Line scenario with the same forces. My Airborne holed up in a village as the German armour rumbled down the hill. Starting with only a rifle platoon, company command and the artillery squad on the board. Nothing much happened in the first few turns as he rumbled forward. His artillery was soon suppressed by my air support and the tank shots whizzed harmlessly past my dug in infantry.

As the Germans neared my position my armour showed up but only provided a minor speed bump to his StuGs (see note 1 above).

It all culminated in the last turns as all the armour rumbled over my infantry in a final bloody assault. But luckily my infantry are adept and killing tanks and this left the 2 Tigers and the majority of the StuGs flaming wrecks.

This left me in control of the objectives and the victor in this battle.

I still hate StuGs.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 5, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ElBrak posted:

Man, mine came the same way but i just pain painstakingly glued the skirts back together. :mad:

I Just noticed that one of my open fire Shermans has a busted track, it has been so long since I got it, It probably was just out of general usage. Although I must say I have seen some fairly shoddy quailty from Battlefront.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

lilljonas posted:

The only entry in that list that is worth a drat is that 1/100 and 15mm is close since you can get 1:100 aircrafts for FoW and such games for a cheap alternative for Battlefront kits.

Except the aircraft Battlefront sell are 1:144.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Serotonin posted:

Are they? Thats 10/12mm scale. Thats good to know as I need some planes for BKC.

Yes they are.. It greatly confused me at first, I am not sure why it is that way either. You could always look at the Wings of War miniatures as they also are 1:144.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I was looking for some 1:100 Skytrains for myself. If it was to represent aircraft flying above the battlefield, shouldn't they be be bigger? Since we look down onto the battlefield they and therefore they are are closer to us.

(Haha you were right, sperging about scale right here.)

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

PM me about black powder (If you can).

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 8, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I still stand behind Open Fire! as a good place to start with FoW. But you are right the game does get far more interesting when you start throwing variety into the mix, there are so many different things you can do.

After the game against Trouble Man, I was browsing the rules and found out (as per usual) we were doing something wrong.

The way air support works in FoW, for those who aren't familiar, is that you buy a dice pool (7,5,3) that represents the access to ground attack aircraft during the battle. Every time you use the pool you reduce the number of dice by 1, now this is where we are going wrong; we just figured that you ran out of dice and that was it for having the fly-boys save your worthless rear end.

Apparently you will always have one dice at your disposal if you have payed for air support. I guess my point is since you only need one of the dice in your pool to come up with the correct number, why spend the points on more dice?

I think a better another option is to buy the one dice and have the different levels of air support fix the number of planes that turn up (3, 2, 1) instead of having it randomised.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 9, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Roma posted:

I read those rules in the rulebook too. I like the way it's set up. It seems to allow you to be able to request air support, but you have little control over when they show up and how many show up. Makes sense when you're controlling a small ground army.

I don't really object to how the rules function now. I am just not so keen on never running out of dice.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 9, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Arquinsiel posted:

You can run out of planes. Most air support choices I've seen have been three or less. You don't get to keep rolling if they've all been shot down.

Well not for that attack run, but next turn you can call them back for more.

FoW Rulebook posted:

The amount of air support available to you will always be the same. No matter how many aircraft you lose in a turn, the air force will always manage to scrape up more aircraft from somewhere for the next one.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

LintMan posted:

Here are some photos from the 09 New Zealand Late War GT for Flames of War.

Here are my only tanks in my British Para Army. Yes they fit those things in a glider and landed them in Normandy for the D-day landings. Not the best picture as its an in game shot.

I am pretty big into Flames of War and can answer most questions.

Sup Kiwi(?) buddy, I saw some of these in the latest WGI but it is nice to see more posted.

Nice Tetrachs too.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

How many of your own objectives did you have to model for the Tournament?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

If you look and my battle report a couple pages back, Trouble Man's force sounds like what you want to play.

That force is built from the Fortress Europe source book.

Other books you can look into are Hell's Highway and the soon to be released
A Bridge to Far, also Eastern Front.

It really depends on what battle you want to focus on for on what book you want to choose.

As for paints, I am not sure you could find matching GW Shades for what they had in WW II as GW paints are fairly heraldic. But Battlefront do produce paint sets for the various forces, containing the (Vallejo) paints you need.

I know someone has posted a comparison chart for the various paint brands, all you'd need to do is find what paints are in the appropriate paint sets and then compare.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Do you mean the Stuka zu Fuss? If you follow the link to the German special rules PDF that Lord Commissar posted you will find them there.

(That is rules for FoW)

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 11, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Lord Commissar posted:

EDIT: Does it matter if I throw in some of the SMG guys for my platoons, since the blisters come with them, even though I'm not using them? I'm not sure how WYSIWYG Flames of War is.

One or two guys here or there won't really matter. As long as you don't try and pass off some grunts for something that takes a different force org slot (ie these riflemen here are really an LMG).

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 14, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Roma posted:

I wonder if Battlefront will profit on the release of the Pacific mini series this year and expand FoW to the pacific theater of war?

The problem for me is my interest in the PT lies in the Air and Naval campaigns and not the Island hopping jungle bashing that FoW would cover.

There is a FoW Tournament at Easter here that I am thinking about taking my 101st to.

If anyone here is tournament experienced; are there any lists I should watch out for or anything that is a must to field?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I saw it but I never played it. There are some other naval systems you can check out:

Victory at Sea
Naval Thunder
Grand Fleets

I haven't had much experience with these games; but I can probably rig up a game of Victory at Sea if I wanted to (read: can be arsed).

Linky

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

As I posted before that there was an upcoming tournament at Easter. I finally looked up the points, and it is Late war 1750 pts.

code:
Company HQ  35 pts 

2x Parachute rifle platoons 730 pts   

A rifle platoon consists of
- 9 Rifle/MG teams 
- 60mm Mortar 
- Bazooka team 
- Command team 

1x Parachute field artillery battery 135 pts 

- HQ section with 2 artillery sections (4 guns total)

1x Tank platoon 265pts 

- 3x Shermans 

1x Tank destroyer platoon 435 pts 

- HQ Section (Command carbine team and a Jeep) 
- 2 Sections (a section being 2 M10s, 1 M20 and a carbine team)  

Limited air support (P38s) 150 pts 

Total: 1750 

Critique / comments would be appreciated. I have everything but the M10 sections so it would be nice to know if I need to buy anything else.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

free mummy posted:

what's the motivation and rating of your force, and what book did you point your army out of?

This is pointed from D -1. All paras are Fearless Veterans and the tanks are Confident Veterans

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

free mummy posted:

Your tank destroyers have the disengage rules, right? a friend of mine who tried them out had a problem with the M10's being forced to fall back once they were in combat due to those rules. If you have access to Shermans with the 76mm gun those might be a better choice if you run into problems with the M10's

Yes they use a variation of the disengage rules, I have used M10's before and it is wise to take advantage of the tank destroyer doctrine. They don't have the front armour (FA 4) to take other tanks head on.

No I can't get 76mm Shermans :smith:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Cakefool posted:

The only difference is the gun right? That sounds like a really easy conversion. Unless the rules say you can't take 76mm Shermans, in which case ignore me.

Yeah as the others have said, They are not available in my force org.

I got a M10 Section today, while I was in the store, lo and behold they had the FoW army painter sprays. I was originally going to base-coat my army in brown violet via airbrush so I picked up a can of M/L US Armor instead.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Anyone know some good painting tutorials for US Armour for FoW?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I now have a whole truck load green drab Airborne! I am starting by painting up my shermans; you can make them look pretty decent with minimal effort.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I picked up my last box of M10s today. I now have all the models (apart from planes) to field 1750 points of Airborne.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I know this isn't strictly historical, but since the core version is, I am asking here. Anyone have any experience with Ambush Z?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Indolent Bastard posted:

I know this is a minis thread but I can't find a SA scale model thread is so can anyone point me to a good place to get 1/35 scale armour. Specifically the Sturmtiger 38mm mortar tank. I don't care which company the kit comes from but I want it for cheap. Thanks.

I don't have your answer, but Here is the scale models thread

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

That is the most :black101: picture ever.

Edit - Totally reminds me of this shirt:

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 10, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Most people use magnets to swap arms/weapons easily to represent the different weapon options you have availiable per the rules.

Fridge magnet material can be affixed to movement trays/bases to hold your minis in place on the table or stop them falling about when you're transporting them.

On a side note, anyone played Ambush Z yet? I'd like to hear your opinions on it before I set some money down on a copy.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

lilljonas posted:

And finally it's just nice to annoy your SO by arranging Hannibal's march over the Alps on your fridge.

Did you do this? If so that is awesome.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Played some FoW against Trouble man last night; almost usual armies. My US paras vs a German armored list, victory for the US but it was a hard slog over the hill as my infantry kept getting pinned down by artillery fire; rockets :argh:.

Here are some lovely Iphone pics - notice the ghetto setup:

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Click here for the full 1189x1298 image.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Real wargamers use beer cans as tanks :colbert:.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Oh sweet, how was Natcon? I was going to go but other things got in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Oh haha, sorry I missed it then. Unless someone else was running it too, I know you and you know me (with out naming names)

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 5, 2010