Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
So tell me more about 15mm historical manufacturers!

I see that Corvus Belli makes a bunch of DBA boxed armies, but they're all early era stuff. Who makes your crusaders?

Edit: lol black powder

Black Powder is a game for the militarily inclined gentlemen with straight backs, bristling beards and rheumy eyes that have seen a thing or two. If tales of battle and glory in days-gone-by stir nothing in your breast, if the roar of cannon does not quicken the pulse and set fire in the belly, then this is not the rule set for you.

Set during the horse & musket period of 1700-1900, Black Powder is very much a game for gentlemen gamers. Gamers who cherish the finer things in life such as wonderfully painted armies, fighting over luxurious terrain, and doing so in the company of friends. No need for the use of protractors to wheel a unit and arguments over whether a charge is 2mm out of range or not are things you’ll no longer have to worry about. In essence it’s a very relaxing game that can produce stunning conflicts – conflicts that can see one side appear doomed only for them to pull victory from the icy grasp of Mistress Defeat!

FirstCongoWar fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

S.J. posted:

I'm really interested in FoW. And I like to dive in head-first with an army that's gonna kick my rear end and force me to learn the game, so I'm thinking Rangers or something like that.

Paratroopers!

They're elite infantry and relatively cheap (in a $$$ sense). Plus you can support them with all sorts of tanks, plans, and artillery once you decide to branch out.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

There are several. I like the Perry Bros, though. I got a few boxes of their ACW plastics to make a gift for my dad and they're all very nice.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I'm totally going to end up buying Wargames Factory stuff, probably some Vikings when those hit and Saxons when they come out later in the year.

I'm pissed I didn't have enough money in september to get in on the 10 dollar boxes of romans, though.

FirstCongoWar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 2, 2010

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I've been reading through the Field of Glory rules, and it seems... complex. It's all fairly intuitive but the movement system is even more ticky-tacky than the WFB rules as far as stuff like ranking up and wheeling goes.

All of the unit stats make sense but it's all just a little overwhelming on a first, casual read. The troops are done in a similar way to Flames of War, where instead of numbers each unit is defined by adjectives depicting their quality. Roman legionnaires are, for example: Heavy Foot, Armored, Protected, Average, Drilled, Impact Foot, Swordsmen. This is just a ton of stuff to remember at first, but I guess it becomes intuitive at some point. Roman legionnaires have armor and shields, they're good at following orders, and they are good at both charging and fighting.

Still, it's weird and very... granular.

Edit: and despite the fact that it's compatible with 28mm models I would never play it at that scale. Their "starter army lists" want you to have literally hundreds of guys. The Gallic starter army has 5 "battlegroups" of warriors. Each battlegroup has 8 bases of warriors, each base is supposed to have 3 models on it. 120 warriors! That's the bulk of the army, to be fair, but painting ~160 28mm models is not my idea of a good time.

Edit edit: So this isn't completely negative, the books themselves are very interesting and well-put together, available on amazon, and cheap. If you're looking to play wargames on the cheap (you know, relatively), historicals are really the way to go.

FirstCongoWar fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 2, 2010

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

In case you are like me and want to play some pike and shot style games without, you know, buying anything, I found a pretty decent DBA variant that covers the Renaissance era.

http://www.scribd.com/group/82216-dba-rrr-renaissance-reformation-and-restoration

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

uniplay

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Historicals: Where cosplay is only slightly looked down on

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Early War is supposed to be out this year, they've been hyping it for a while.

I want to play the French. :(

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I couldn't even stand working on my paratrooper army for more than like 20 minutes at a time, I can't imagine what it's going to be like basing/painting that many guys

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I got Black Powder today. It lives up to the hype, go buy it if you have any interest at all in the time period it covers.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Lord Commissar posted:

Amazon has it for $38 (if you're in the US).

Amazon has it for 32 if you're in the US :) (which totally sucks because they charged me 35 for it 3 days ago)

http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-POWDER-Battles-Soldiers-Musket/dp/0956358101/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272544735&sr=8-7

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

The reason to go with Wargames Factory over Gripping Beast is that their models are far easier and cheaper to get in the US. Gripping Beast charges 13 dollars for 8 dudes on foot, whereas Wargames Factory charges 20 dollars for 32.

I don't think the quality is so vastly different that I'd want to pay over twice as much for the same amount of models, AND wait for them to be shipped from overseas.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

lilljonas posted:

I see this a lot among US and UK gamers, people on TMP always asking about regional suppliers and even refusing to buy stuff if they can't order it from somewhere in their own country. Is it really that much of a bother? Maybe I'm biased since there's practically no stores for historicals in my country, but me and my clubmates have always ordered directly from the manufacturer no matter if it is is the US, UK, Spain or Italy. I've never had any problems with that. And the pound has been so cheap lately that we get a huge discount on orders from the UK by default.

Additionally I don't see the point of buying cheaper models if they look bad. I'd be ready to use a low price as an excuse to buy more good looking models than I need, but I'd rather pay twice to get nice hoplites from xyston than cheaping out with Minifigs. In this case I guess it's quite a big difference, but still... the only reason I'm considering buying Mongols and Chinese from Irregular is that they are the only company that makes them, and the same thing would be necessary for me to buy those WF vikings.

edit: I can sort of see the point if you are the kind of gamer don't really like the hobby part and just want to quickly dip your troops to play. In that case I can understand going for the cheaper option. But really, what stops me from getting more poo poo is the time it takes to paint, not high prices.

I guess I just don't think that the difference in quality between the two manufacturers is quite as large as you're making it out to be, and especially nowhere near large enough to justify spending twice the amount before you even factor in things like shipping/customs/whatever.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Lord Commissar posted:

Here's some more info:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=104&esem=1

It does seem somewhat Risk-like, but more advanced. If I had to guess, I'd say the figures are 25/28mm.

They're 1/72.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

So I ended up with 60 Wargames Factory Celt Warriors.

What should I do with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Rifle companies are very competitive. You'll basically never be attacking objectives, and you'll be incredibly hard to shift.

If you're worried about tanks just bring a bunch more bazookas.