Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I keep looking at FoW, and the models and rules seem awesome, but I absolutely cannot get past the Nazi stuff. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Lord Commissar posted:

Well, it's a game. About WWII. Hard to have a game about WWII without the main antagonist.

Yeah, I understand that and it makes sense. It's just not the game for me.

I picked up a blister of 10mm Greeks from the same store, and I'm actually pumped about replacing their lead gummy-spears with cut paperclip ones.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Devlan Mud posted:

Do mid-war italians :unsmith:

Too late!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does anybody know anything about GW's The Great War? All I've read is that it's basically 40k (Including stuff like strength:toughness wound charts???) and each model counts as three guys. This seems nutty and needlessly cumbersome.

e: TTMaB looks like it might be worth checking out, thanks!

moths fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 17, 2010

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just got a deal on 1:72 cowboys at Ollie's. Also about 200 cows.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

lilljonas posted:

Additionally I don't see the point of buying cheaper models if they look bad.

The ugly ones stand at the back of the formation.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you're really into alternate dinosaur WWII, you should probably check this out.

I hadn't realize this was becoming an established genre.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Have the best Skavenslaves.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Can someone recommend me a good 15mm WWI game? I've heard about Through the Mud and Blood from Too Fat Lardies (Very possibly in an incarnation of this thread) but is there anything else exciting?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I found out that there's a fan WWI suppliment for FoW. And then there's people in my area involved, and I'm pretty excited about this because I dig FoW but eh, Nazis.

So here's a question for you FoW guys!

How does the basing scheme work? I can tell that command sections go on the small ones and squads go on the medium ones. But what are the huge bases for? And what size bases do weapons teams (ie: Lewis guns) go on?

This is probably all basic stuff covered in the FoW rules, but my models got here before the book. :ohdear:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So why are we sculpting 20mm tall "15mm" figures now? I'm looking at you Old Glory, even though I know this is likely Battlefront's fault.
:argh:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

KongGeorgeVII posted:

As in to build up the ground? What are other cheap alternatives?

Elmer's makes a product called Carpenter's Wood Filler. It's like a clay that thins with water but doesn't noticeably shrink or crack when drying. It also takes paint and glue extremely well when dried.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm still looking for a copy. The description I heard was essentially "Mordheim with cowboys" and gently caress that sounds awesome.

Bonus content: Here's some WIP Brits illustrating the 15mm v 20mm "15mm" issue I had earlier, on some bases done with the Elmer's wood filler

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Being British, I guess they could maybe count-as hobbit riflemen or something. Here's a better shot of the difference between Minifigs' and Blue Moon's 15mm:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does anybody know what's up with Minifigs / GFI? Apparently they're out of business now, but for some reason nerd-industry news exists only on forums.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Just tried - call was forwarded to GFI's voicemail, but the box was full (please hang up). There's some internet reports of drama, and apparently it's under new management and maybe one guy is trying to run the whole show.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What's the best way to get Irregular miniatures in the US?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

BeigeJacket posted:

http://warhammer-historical.com/acatalog/Kampfgruppe_Normandy.html

This is....unexpected?

There was a rumor going around (I heard it on the D6G podcast a few months ago, but it was showing up elsewhere) that GW would be producing a 15mm WWII game based on Mordheim.

1:72 came out of nowhere, though. You can get 'figures' in that scale for next to nothing, and it's not too far outside of warhammer's 28mm comfort zone.

$78 for a rulebook (plus shipping to the states) is makes it unlikely that I'll ever even see a copy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't really give much credibility to it being 15mm, but the idea of a Mordheim-based character-driven WWII game was way too appealing to dismiss. An 'army' consisting of one or two squads with named officers NCOs who advance ala Necromunda? gently caress yes. Unfortunately, it looks like they're putting out Warhammer 0.19k, which isn't really doing anything that isn't already on the market.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The plastic the AWI and ACW figures are giving me all sorts of good feelings about cheap Wild West conversions.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jinjin Bemar posted:

And I would argune no one does realistically proportioned miniatures in any scale.

The exception are some plastic model manufacturers, but their 'miniatures' are typically posed to fly or do maintenance upon your hyper-detailed 1/35 P-38 Lightning.

Can someone tell me how flexible Ambush Alley is? How much massaging would the system take to do Wild West or Roaring 20's mob wars? Or sci-fi stuff like dinosaurs vs SWAT teams?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you choose round, you can't go wrong with fender washers (fenders are the ones with the smallest hole in the middle). 1/8" by 1" looks nice with 28mm, and has nearly the exact footprint of a GW round base.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Chenghiz posted:

Man, that's a real :effort: job. It's like 12 pieces of plasticard, woooo

Not only that, it's in 6mm/micro-armor scale. Is there a less appropriate scale for small-force skirmishes?

e: Yes.

moths fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 10, 2011

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Minifigs GFI has been defunct for months now. There's some kind of serious drama going on behind the scenes.

e: oops, thanks JB

moths fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 25, 2011

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't play anything in 1/72, or know anybody who does, but this site is really making me want to play everything in 1/72.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oxford Comma posted:

I meant, a company that also makes WW2 15mm minis that can be used in FoW.

Old Glory makes a pretty nice line of WWII figures, and they generally run $15 for a bag of ~50. The site layout is terrible and has no photographs, so that's how you know it's a historical miniatures webstore.

e: The 15mm Blue Moon stuff is actually just over 20mm, but I don't think there's any BM WWII to worry about. And I can't speak for the vehicle scale either.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

big_g posted:

This is the first time I've ever loved that effect. (Maybe enough to steal it :ninja:)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So I did this thing, then took a cellphone photo of it.

The green looks much more muted in person, I textured the base before I glued down the truck, and chestnut ink should never be photographed - but am I doing anything historically terrible here? I've seen crew in softcaps, but my guy has a helmet. And I haven't got any unit markings at all. :ohdear:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks, I'd been looking at reference photos but it was very confusing: The WWII photos don't show markings, but every scale models and museum piece does.

I was suspicious that it was Stalin-era censorship of identifying marks in photos to conceal troop movements or something.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sup, new-at-Soviets buddy. :ussr::respek::commissar:

I think your tank would benefit a lot from inking. Don't be afraid to use black! I mix about 1/2 Future with 1/2 distilled water and many drops of black India ink. You'll have a glossy ink that will recess nicely into crevasses, but you can kill the gloss with a matte finish. This will look great on your metallic treads and wheels.

It looks like you may have missed a few details that you can easily pick out. There's some tread links on the front (under the machine gun), and a grille and exhausts on the back that you could easily hit with a gunmetal and then ink black.

Ideally you want to break up the single-color that's going on. There's a lot of subtle color variance in your tank commander (who looks great) but he's sitting in a near-solid green blob. Smash that up with lining and details! You don't need to go crazy with details, but there's room to make it more visually interesting before it becomes too busy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I find that it gives lining better definition than just watering down ink with water or alcohol. I need to mix up some more tonight, but I'll post photos later.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Tamir Lenk posted:

Future washes are awesome.

This. I took an 1oz dropper bottle, filled it halfway with future, another 1/4 with water, (leaving the bottle 1/4 empty) and then ten drops of black India ink.

(Huge original)

You can see which one I did. The guy all the way on the right shows approximately what it looked like before. But you can also see how drat shiny everything gets, and why you'll need to matte finish.

It'll pick out mold lines and sometimes pool in awkward areas, so you'll want to go over your base colors again and then do your highlights last. It'll also ruin skintones, so don't bother trying to get them right before you've inked.

moths fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 10, 2011

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Just got a handful of Soviets (mostly) done! They need to be matte sealed because they're still glossy shiny, but have a look:

Stand of infantry.

Above stand with Kommissar.

Random officer.

Pumpkin-headed Battlefront spotters.

They look kind of rear end blown up 300%, but I love my little red army men anyway. Those spotters were the first and probably last Battlefront figures I buy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks! I'm really happy with how that shot came out, too.

It's 15mm, so each standing figure is roughly 3/4" tall.

The observer team's proportions look off because Battlefront uses GW's "Heroic" scale, where the head is enlarged to show facial expressions. If you look closely, their heads are nearly as wide as their shoulders. It's as if WWII were fought by Charlie Browns and bobble-heads.

The other figures are a mix of Legions East and Peter Pig. I'm using them since they fit nicely with Old Glory's Command Decision, which are cheap as hell and look great (but haven't shown up in the mail yet).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think the proportions work better for fantasy or scifi where you are upscaling an ork or alien head to show detail. Mantic released a line of elves that had "realistically" proportioned heads, hands, and bodies. I understand that they flopped, with the general consensus that they look far too weedy and slender.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've picked up a few WGF kits that I keep meaning to use for conversions. (Eventually I'd love to make cheap plastic Necromunda gangs out of them.) Their problem is that WGF is married to the mid-90's GW scheme where the limbs, heads, and torsos all need to be attached at 90 degree angles like mannequins. In theory you have more options, but there's reality only two or three good ways to assemble them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yay Track & Confirm says 300 Russians finally arrived!

Except they aren't at my house. Fuuuuuuck

e: Maybe one of the neighbors has the box? Uugh.

e2: ...and a day later they're in my mailbox. USPS :argh:

moths fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 3, 2011

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Those crusaders look really good, and I absolutely love the bases. I'd guess that they're 12mm or 15mm (based on the comparison with the peg-hole in the blister pack).

Cross-posting a photo from the miniatures thread!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Honestly if anyone is going the GW route it's Privateer. :(

That said, could you be more specific about what you don't like in Flames? I'm just getting into it and full of new-game love, but I'd like to know what the criticisms are before I buy it a ring.

There's the points thing, and I've heard that it has some historical glitches. And it feels a bit distasteful at times, since people are still alive who fought this thing for real.

I'm looking at it as an attempt to recreate a rad war movie rather than specific actual battles. Filtered through that lens, most of my problems with it evaporated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Money was actually a factor in my going with Flames. Plastic Soldier Company makes most of the common vehicles in plastic, and recently started German and Russian infantry boxes of 100 men for around $30 USD.

Old Glory's 15mm Command Decision are an insane bargain. They charge $10-$15 for a mixed bag of ~50 well-sculpted infantry poses, which is about 1/4 what you'd pay for equivalent Battlefront ones.