Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I just picked up Pike and Shotte and ended up with a rules question that I hope someone in the thread can answer. What do carbines and flintlock muskets do, rules-wise? Are they just the same as firelocks but named differently since they pertain to different eras? I looked all through the book and I couldn't find an actual entry for either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JcDent posted:

6mm best mm

Hell yeah. My current painting project is Western theater ACW:

Sooooo close to having enough rebs for Sherman to properly terrorize! Painting the little fuckers is definitely a great way to find out just how many guys you're willing to paint in a single batch.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

muggins posted:

Edit: any particular unit or battle you painted those ACW southerners for?

No, I want to keep them generic but plausible participants for any battle in the Western theater- they're maybe a little too ragged and mismatched to be at Shiloh but the long term dream is to have a table that can do Grant's amphibious operations against the Mississippi river forts (perhaps against an AS Johnston that didn't take one in the artery for his first big battle) as well as Sherman and Bragg's maneuvers in Alabama and Georgia.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I made a battlefield!

6mm Baccus, me and some buddies played this afternoon with the Black Powder rules scaled down from inches to centimeters on about a 4x3 battlefield and it worked out just fine. None of us had played with the rule set before, and decided on a basic scenario where the Union army under Sherman was marching into northern Georgia and advancing into a Confederate ambush commanded by Bragg. Each side had about a division's worth of strength- 2 large or 3 small regiments of line infantry, some skirmishers, an artillery battery and two regiments of cavalry. The federals had a gatling gun and the cavalry had breech-loading carbines, while the rebel units had some veteran bonuses but they had less artillery and two of the pieces were smoothbore:

My friend took command of the Confederate forces and decided his best course of action was to charge blindly forward and hope his artillery could follow along, casualties be damned. It uh, didn't work so well- his cavalry attacked my flank piecemeal and ate a whole bunch of artillery and repeater carbine fire from my dismounted cavalry while my central infantry blob managed to ignore its direct commander's orders and a brigade order from Sherman and stall in the middle doing nothing for a while. A gatling gun and another unit of dismounted cavalry on my right flank traded fire with a veteran unit of rebs while two more small line regiments and a unit of skirmishers rammed up the middle towards my (larger) units, who eventually figured out they were in a battle and opened up on the charging central thrust. Here's the beginning of the headlong Confederate assault:

The rebels called off the attack after one unit of cavalry and a unit of infantry were broken and the rest were shaken after they assaulted the position. A good time was had by all and both of my friends who came over are really excited about the rules and battlefield- next up is to finish all the basing, make some earthworks and fortifications and to paint up the commanders and some casualty markers for shaken units. All in all a pretty nice Sunday of gaming!

Bonus category 6 Catju that attacked the battlefield prior to the engagement:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

At that scale that amount and detail of terrain is all you need to have a great looking game.

I think terrain making might be my favorite part of this venture. :wink:

After I make some fortifications for the rebs to die behind I want to hit up Irregular for some of their buildings, forts and train track-- they have by far the best selection of stuff I found and I want something more solid than printing out paper houses or whatever. I really love the way a 6mm battlefield looks- you definitely get the effect of really detailed 3D map instead of little mans lined up on some scenery and the whole easily outweighs the individual parts.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Got over the Seahawks losing by playing a little 6mm Black Powder this afternoon. The scenario involved an entrenched Union brigade with a line of infantry, a unit of skirmishers and a Gatling gun caught exposed by the Confederates- the bulk of the Union force would be entering as reserves coming to their aid. Here's the initial field of battle:

The Confederates plan on keeping the stranded Union brigade pinned with two lines of infantry, two artillery pieces on a hill and a unit of cavalry. A third cannon is positioned on the road to await the expected Union reinforcements while another unit of cavalry, another line of infantry and a unity of skirmishers prepare to set an ambush. The Union trenches:

Union wins the first turn, but the cavalry doesn't arrive. The entrenched position exchanges fire with the Confederate lines and both the rebel and Union lines suffer some light damage. The Confederates wheel their cavalry, move their skirmishers into the woods, and bring their third artillery piece to bear on the besieged Federal position:

At the beginning of the second turn, the cavalry arrives! They storm down the road- one regiment dismounting to provide additional weight of fire while the second advances as far as possible. Union shooting bloodies the Confederate cannon that's occupying the road.

However, they may have been too late to save their comrades- focused Confederate shooting (and an unlucky roll by the Union commander) causes the entrenched line infantry to break:

Although arriving too late to come to the relief of the besieged position, the bulk of the Union army arrives on turn 3. The cavalry attempts to cause some havoc in the middle of the Confederate position while the infantry and artillery...mostly ignore their orders. One infantry brigade reforms into a line while the other remains in a vulnerable column. One unit of artillery unlimbers while the rest remain limbered up to hopefully support the infantry, once it actually decides to get moving.

The Union cavalry charges and breaks the Confederate cannon in the road, clearing the path for the bulk of the army but exposing themselves to fire from both cannon on the hill and lines in the trenches, as their sweeping advance fails to get them into combat. The Confederates launch a cavalry charge of their own and clear out the Union fortifications that were originally supposed to be relieved- this is starting to look bad for Federal forces:

The Union commander, no longer needing to come to aid, attempts to form a defensible position on the road they entered the battlefield from. The Confederate skirmishers ambush a limbered artillery piece and destroy it while the smaller Confederate line miraculously holds out against the weight of fire of Union cannon, sharpshooters and line infantry. Two cavalry regiments clash and the Confederates drive the Union forces back down the road, where they are met by their commander and rallied, but subsequently torn apart by cannon fire.

The Union position for its last stand:

The Confederate general rallies their shaken cavalry and infantry, then trains their artillery on the line infantry in the road-- to great effect:

When the first of the infantry units brought as relief breaks, the Union general issues the order to retreat. A well executed rebel ambush, capitalizing on the disorderly nature of the Union relief effort.

Southern Heel posted:

Anyone interested in a DBA battle report?

Battle reports are awesome!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Every page of this thread should have multiple 6mm battle reports. God's own scale.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

I always thought people were exaggerating when they said how quick/easy 6mm was to paint. Until I painted 135 romans in two days, including tea breaks.

Wow, that's impressive. It takes me like a week to paint and base a regiment of my guys, but I don't do it all in one go like that. I wish I could maintain that degree of focus to just power through and finish them off at once.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

muggins posted:

I am a 28mm poo poo bird myself but that batrep is cool. I can't help but think in the back of my head tho "man that'd be cool in 28mm Perrygod figures"

I was really proud of myself for painting a unit of 16 pikes and 12 musketeers in 28mm in like 4 months. My 6mm armies and table took me almost exactly a year. Painting multiple 28 mm armies and making a battlefield :gonk:

Also Grey Hunter, new page! New page! Post your nap battle :)

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
:eyepop: goddamn I love the mass rank and file effect of a ton of 6mm models. 28mm is cool for detail but when you're pushing around a division of 6mm infantry it feels like a division.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
How's Field of Glory? I know it's pretty big some places and at this point it seems to cover nearly the range that Hail Caesar/Pike and Shotte/Black Powder/Bolt Action does. Is it better at doing some things? I went with the Warlord games rules when I started because I'm an ex ham and they were familiar enough I figured I could sell my friends on it easily, but I'd be curious to hear what the other "big" system is like.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

For ACW games, do I want to use Black Powder?

That's what I use for my 6mm and it's very solid. I'm a tinkerer though and have enjoyed using the chapter in the back of the book for statting out units to make the baseline troops a little less Napoleonic- I decreased the melee ability of both infantry and cavalry and made it so infantry can't Form Square but instead get a shooting value of 2 in mixed formation.

The rules themselves work well with how the arc of ACW battles seemed to go historically- there's a lot of command friction and the winners of the battles I've had tend to stick to a simple plan with a lot of contingencies rather than trying to do too much all at once. I've heard good things about Longstreet and might try it at some point, I'm a little less sure about Field of Glory.

Edit: my group also toned down the Disordered effect because it is pretty swingy as written-- we play with it still giving a -1 to hit modifier for the next turn, but instead of making units completely unable to receive orders we have the Disorder just eat the first move of the unit, so you need to succeed by 2 to get 1 move and 3 to get 2. It's felt way better, we previously had games that were totally lopsided due to a couple turns of lucky rolling.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 29, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

spectralent posted:

Nobody would play in 6mm. :(

What rulesets do you use for 6mm anyway?

Most 28mm games scale down quite nicely if you just measure in cm instead of inches. Gods. Own. Scale.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

Just cut distances/range in half

This, if you're specifically looking to make things fit in a smaller area. Alternatively, you could use regular 15mm basing and measurement with 6mm mans and get extra guys on your stands to give more "realistic" volume of troops and ranges. A lot of games don't really give historical weapons the ranges they actually were employed at, particularly 19th century forward.

lilljonas posted:

Obligatory 6mm pics:

:swoon:

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 30, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
A weekend with a tiny ACW is a good weekend indeed:

For this battle I made a small farm to fight over:

I managed to convince a couple friends who hadn't ever played this sort of thing to take up arms against one another and it ended up being a pretty lopsided affair (that being said, I'm starting to realize I've never really seen a super close game of Black Powder yet so who knows really) that involved a Union attack upon a Confederate defensive position- two regiments of infantry would advance across a field in the upper third of the battlefield, while two regiments each of skirmishers and cavalry would attempt to wind through the woods on the bottom of the map order to hopefully flank the rebels. Union position is on the right:

Game turned after a pretty spectacular third turn by the federal troops- just a boatload of accurate, unsaved shooting and bad luck on 3 break tests to really cripple the Confederate army. From there the rebs basically played on to do as much damage as possible before they collapsed, but at least died entertainingly- the remaining two units of troops and a unit of skirmishers ended up lingering way longer than they had any right to and managed to do a lot of bloody work with the artillery. It was a fun battle despite the massacre turn and my friends definitely had a good time with it. A few more shots:

The next project is painting some buildings to make a town to defend, and I think the one after that is a nice wide stream with a bridge to cross.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Played a nice little skirmish with the forum's own BULBASAUR this afternoon.

I took command of the Union and attempted to break out of a city that was previously occupied but now low on supplies:

The critical move of the game ended up being a Hail Mary cavalry charge from BULBASAUR:

It led to two broken units after a devastating sweeping advance. My right flank retreated back to the trenches I advanced out of:

The rest of the game was me trying to rebuild my position. I was ultimately able to consolidate and keep any of my infantry from breaking but I couldn't escape my position. The confederacy wins the day!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
6mm forever! Baccus ACW:

I bought a pair of (large) armies a year ago and am now at the point where I have a full painted division for each side and a table with good scenery, all for about the price of buying a single army of one of the big 28mm systems (or a small fraction of a GW system). The scale has a phenomenal "living map" effect when you put a battlefield together and it's surprisingly easy to paint.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Just sieged a Confederate town:

Union army:

Confederate positions:

Battlefield:

Ended up being a really close one- we played Black Powder and decided the Union would win if they could end a turn with a unit in the town while the Rebs tried to keep them out for 6 turns plus a 7th turn on a 4+, rolled at the beginning of turn 6. I played the Union and dawdled too much, the extra turn wasn't rolled and everything came down to a suicide charge from some of my infantry to try and grab the town...they got blown to pieces from the cannon. The Confederate forward trench, manned by horse artillery and dismounted cavalry, lasted way longer than it had any right to and I sort of got sucked in trying to kill the artillery instead of just massing my infantry in the field and pressing his defenses. All in all a fun battle though.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

muggins posted:

Man I just got my black powder ace book in and it's beautiful. It's definitely still a gentleman game, not crunchy rules, but really cool. Gotta motivate myself to paint dudes

There is a special rule called Uppity

Is this Glory Hallelujah? I've been using the main book and rewrote some stuff using the pointing system in the back for my ACW battles, do you think the new book offers enough new stuff to really be worth it?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
^^^^
Yet another reason 6mm is Gods Own Scale. I painted two regiments of dismounted cavalry and a 3 piece artillery battery in about 3 hours a week ago. You can easily paint a stand of guys in less time it takes to knock out a tabletop quality 28mm mans and the sheer effect of tons of ranked 6mm guys is really unique in tabletop gaming.

muggins posted:

I've actually never played a game of BP yet - I've kind of been waiting for the CW supplement plus I've never really had the motivation to paint 400 ACW dudes. I can't really offer a ton of opinion other than it's a really beautiful book

...that's probably enough to get me to buy it, I'm a degenerate that loves both the ACW and Black Powder so I really should just double down.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Anyone going to Enfilade! next month? I've never been but it looks like it could be fun, I'm trying to decide if I want to sign up for a table and bring my ACW stuff or just wander around as a tourist.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
"Red Army" by Ralph Peters came out about the same time as Team Yankee and Red Storm Rising and is a similar story told entirely from the Soviet POV and consciously tries to offer a counter narrative to the whole faceless numberless Russian bear trope.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

muggins posted:

This is really flippin' cool

http://1809in3mm.blogspot.com/

edit: I figured some of you might get hard from it having '3mm' in the blog title, lol

He's making a 20x6 table for 3mm :stare:.

Had my first black powder game with multiple commanders on one side yesterday. Essentially a re-fight of last weeks game, the Union were once again tasked with taking a defended Confederate village. The rebels split command between an infantry commander and a cavalry commander, with dismounted cavalry holding a forward defensive position and two mounted regiments coming in as reinforcements on turn 3. It was a real skin of the teeth affair for both sides-- there were maybe 3 really good opportunities for the Union to seize the town that got fought off, and my friends all had a good time. That part especially was nice because one of them had played previously and didn't really like the order system, but this time around, with more concrete objectives to fight over, it was a good time. Pics:

The aftermath:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Pike and Shotte and Black Powder just care about the frontages of units, not the specific model count, so you can go hog wild. The thirty guys or whatever you model in 28mm ostensibly represents a couple hundred guys, so you could go 1:1 with 6mm guys on the same frontage. They also have guidelines for changing the scale in the back of the book-- my 6mm black powder armies have about half size frontages and we measure everything in cm. It works out to about a 1:2 ratio of models to how many guys would have actually been on the field.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

YF19pilot posted:

Though all this talk of black powder era and fancy uniforms is making Sharp Practice tempting...

6mm 19th century armies are the siren song of the hobby. Its just so easy to knock out a couple of opposing divisions and convert your friends over.

That said, for maximum Fancy Uniforms, the 30 years war is ideal and was also one of the most tactically interesting eras of war in my opinion, since the rock paper scissors of pike/heavy cav/shot is a little trickier than line infantry/cav/artillery.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

YF19pilot posted:

If I go 17th century, I'll probably go Northern Wars and get By Fire and Sword to satisfy my ancestral Polish-Cossack blood. Though I'm sure Sharp Practice would be a good segue into that, too, so that's making it seem like a good deal.

If you're modeling for both Fire and Sword and Sharp Practice you should be set for just about any rules you care to pick up at that point, because ostensibly your mans would have a tray and also free bases.

Do it. Doooooo it. Commission up your mercenary captains and take to the field in the fanciest of leggings and feathered hats. Post your work.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

INinja132 posted:

I'm in the exact same boat! Currently trying to decide between the Franco-Prussian and Early First World War BEF/Germany starter packs from Baccus 6mm. If anyone's played either or has any opinions on the Baccus stuff I'm all ears.

Haven't handled/painted that Baccus stuff specifically but they're pretty consistently high quality (occasionally you'll find some smooshed faces or horses with very spindly legs or holes in the belly) and they do a good job maintaining scale across ranges, so if you're planning on 1870-1915 you can grab stuff from the ACW and colonial lines to supplement if need be.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
DBA for super super lightweight, Hail Caesar for moderately heavier but still fairly simple (and will be easy for ex-GW peeps to pick up).

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Giant Ethicist posted:

Had another nice big Black Powder game at 6mm, about a division each.

Very nice AAR. Was the map anywhere in particular or just some tactically interesting European countryside?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

muggins posted:

I played my first game of Black Powder today. Bits vs French in Spain. We had lots of fun. The most confusion came from failing orders - it seemed really punitive that whole brigades just did nothing because you rolled an 8.

I think it'd be really cool with alternating activations, seems like it could work fine. Looking forward to acw. Our gm halved all ranges for some reason, think I'll keep it at full.

We found that disorder is more of a random "you're hosed" than failing orders (and ended up houseruling it to just eat the first move of an order instead of totally losing the ability to receive orders)- the orders mechanic is interesting because it really makes you prioritize what you need to do each turn, and you should always save your army commander until all the brigades are done rolling so you get a second shot to make a critical activation. We also tend to give almost every commander on the battlefield a staff rating of 9 and only have 1 or 2 8's on each side to represent a lovely commander. There are enough times you're rolling with a negative modifier to your orders that having a lot of officers with a staff rating less than 9 sort of robs you of the opportunity to actually play a game.

Alternating activations might work but it seems like it would get complicated by how disproportionately powerful an army commander activation would be compared to a brigade commander. Try it and report back please!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I've also never had a BP game where a regiment was totally useless the whole time. There have certainly been turns where a wing of my army decided to just take a break and not do anything, but over the course of the game everything ends up stuck in or working towards an objective or something. Do people here play with a default staff rating of 8 or something?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

muggins posted:

We played with mostly 7s.

:gonk:

Found your problem right there. The sweet spot is really 9- high enough that your troops are very reliable if they're away from the enemy and the commander is near, but not a guarantee of success by any means. Basically "competent 19th century leader." Staff of 8 is "green or mediocre leader," 10 is "Napoleon, Grant, Sherman or Lee" and 7 is "probably drunk."

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

I'm putting together a Black Powder alt-history scenario fro the Trent Affair escalating to open war between Britain and the Union during the American Civil War, and would appreciate any feedback since I'm still new to Black Powder.

The British forces stationed in Nova Scotia are launching a sudden attack on Maine, particularly the harbor of Portland. While the attackers are too few to really hold the city for long, the hope is to establish a foothold for the British reinforcements which are en route to escalate the war. If the Union can drive them off, Britain may reconsider war. If not, they face a strong second front in the North, and a certain end to the blockade of the South. (This isn't really aiming for historical realism so much as a fun what if)

I have three objectives for the British to take: Portland, Fort Preble and Knightville Village just outside Portland. If Britain holds one of these, it is a draw. Two and it's a minor victory. Three and a major victory. At the end of turn 7, the game ends on a 4+, rolling each turn after. The scenario is loosely based on the Hangman's Creek scenario in the BP book. Union forces start spread out between Portland, Fort Preble and the road to the southwest, with a single unit of militia in Knightville. British forces approach from the south and east, up the roads towards Knightville and Fort Preble. Does this look reasonably balanced and fun? Any suggestions for historical British commanders?

Union Forces
CiC: Lt. Gen. Thomas Casey - Staff 9
1st Brigade: Major George Andrews - Staff 8 (Fort Preble)
17th Foot - 2 units of Rifled Muskets with First Fire and Crack
2 Smoothbore Cannons
Fort Preble Trainees - 1 unit of Rifled Muskets with First Fire

2nd Brigade: Captain Jacob McLellan - Staff 8 (Portland)
Marines - 3 units of Rifled Muskets with Tough Fighters, representing ship crews and marines disembarking to defend the town
2 Smoothbore Cannons
Knightville Militia- 1 unit of Rifled Muskets with Untested, Freshly Raised and Marauders representing armed citizenry of Knightville

3rd Brigade: Vice President Hannibal Hamlin - Staff 8 (Reinforcements from the southwest. Hamlin wasn't in charge of his unit, but he was stationed in a nearby fort as part of the militia, so I'm using him because it's cool)
Maine Militia - 2 units of Rifled Muskets with Skirmishers and Marauders
Maine Mounted Militia - 1 unit of light cavalry with Skirmishers and Marauders

British Forces (I couldn't find as much historical information on these, so it's basically just eyeballed for fun)
CiC: Lt. Gen. Fenwick Williams - Staff 9
1st Brigade: Staff 9 Cavalry Brigade
3 Cavalry Units - Heavy Cavalry with Ferocious Charge
2 Horse Artillery - Light Smoothbore Cannon with Marauders

2nd Brigade: Staff 9 British Regulars
2 Highlanders - Rifled Muskets with First Fire, Steady, Tough Fighters
2 Grenadiers - Rifled Muskets with First Fire, Steady
1 Foot Artillery - Smoothbore Cannon

3rd Brigade: Staff 9 Canadian Militia and Garrison Forces
4 Militia - Rifled Muskets with Skirmishers and Sharpshooters
1 Light Cavalry - Light Cavalry with no ranged weapons, but Skirmishers and Marauders

First fire wasn't really a thing by 1861 because rifles have a much longer range than muskets so the whole "hold fire til you see the whites of their eyes" philosophy wasn't as applicable. If you like the effect the rule has by all means go for it, but the behavior that it encourages isn't really found in the era.

Beyond that, the staff rating deficit on the American side will likely make anything more complex than just forming lines and holding position very difficult. Is there any reason the US would have much more mediocre mid-level leadership than the UK? I get that it's 1861 and the federal war machine hasn't really come fully online yet but I'd have to think American commanders in this engagement would be more likely to have meaningful battlefield experience than the Brits, who hadn't really fought anything since Crimea.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

I wanted it as a way to differentiate militia from regulars, as a small but nice bonus to the latter. Would you suggest some other way of doing it?
As for the staff ratings, I figured that the Americans stationed in Maine wouldn't be the most experienced units or commanders. Is Staff Rating 8 a huge drawback?

Staff rating 8 is rough. Your troops won't be doing anything about a third to half of the time. I would get rid of first fire on everything, then make your regular commanders staff 9 and your militia commander staff 8 (and the US army commander staff 9). That way your regulars on each side will generally do what they're supposed to when they're close to a commander and far from an enemy, but that will break down if they get separated or stuck in. Meanwhile the militia will gently caress around and do whatever they feel like and you'll yell at them.

You also have a couple of brigades with an awful lot of units- there's a US brigade with 6 and I think all the UK brigades have 5. That's not necessarily a bad thing but you'll certainly end up with some feel bads when the brigade commander fails his first order and a third of the British army is now entirely reliant on the army commander. Just something to be aware of.

e:

Ilor posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea for the lower Union command values is that all of the Union's commanders with any ability or talent are busy fighting the Confederacy rather than chilling out in Maine.

It depends how much of a threat the UK is perceived as but I'd imagine Army of the Potomac regulars and officers would take the train up to the border as soon as they had intelligence that the Brits were getting ready to cross. It's not much travel and considering armies were redeployed between the western and eastern theaters I don't think Lincoln would let his back get protected by the JV team.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 16, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Thanks, this helps a lot. I've played one demo game of Black Powder so far, so this is half an exercise to learn the rules and half scenario building. I'll bump the Marines and Regulars up to Staff 9 (keeping Hamlin at 8) and move the Knightville Militia from the Marines brigade into the Militia brigade. I'll drop First Fire from everything, as well. Would you suggest dropping a unit from each brigade to keep sizes down?

Maybe trim that brigade of 6, but 5 should be managable-- just be aware your British units are kind of high variance since an early failed order blocks all the regiments that haven't received an order yet. In Black Powder a commander can reasonably handle 3-5 regiments, so you're just on the upper bound, not really over it yet. I'd go ahead and fight your battle, see what you liked and didn't like, and make sure to post lots of pictures in this thread!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Overall, it was really fun. We kept forgetting rules, but that didn't seem to favor one side or the other that much. A lucky 3-move charge by the British wrecked almost an entire Union brigade, but the other two would pick up the slack and force a turn 7 draw.

I've had a BP battle go nearly the same way, except in my case the lucky 3-move charge totally kept me from getting the bulk of my infantry where they needed to be. Did you feel like command and control worked out ok?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

An interesting thing about command though, is that we almost never had to use the CiC. The few times we failed an order, the CiC was too far away to make a reasonable difference to the rest of the brigade. I didn't issue a single CiC order the entire game, and the British player basically used his to manage a small artillery battery separated from the rest of the army (which never actually did anything, especially after a two-move retreat blunder pushed it to the very bottom of the map)

That is interesting, but it also sounds like you may have gotten a little lucky with issuing orders. I tend to see the CiC get used as a supplemental source of Rally orders to whichever brigade is drawing the most fire, which is a big deal when they're close to the enemy and/or disordered (with our house rules disordered units can still receive orders, the disorder effect just eats the first move on a success). Sounds like a good battle in general though!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Had a nice Black Powder battle last night against good human being and strong forums poster BULBASAUR. A division-level skirmish meant to be evocative of Bragg's attacks on Rosencrans' Army of the Cumberland in the fall of 1863. In our scenario, the drat dirty Rebs will be attacking a Union-held town in two waves:

Union Order of Battle
Army commander, staff rating 9

1st Brigade, staff rating 9
-2x units of line infantry
-1x unit of Sharpshooting skirmishers

2nd Brigade, staff rating 9
-1x units of line infantry

3rd Brigade, staff rating 9
-3x rifled cannon
-1x Gatling gun (ahistorical but fun and I only have three Union cannons painted up so brrrp brrp brrp it is)

The Union position:

Confederate Order of Battle
Army commander, staff rating 9

1st Brigade, staff rating 9
-4x units of cavalry
-1x unit of horse artillery

2nd Brigade, staff rating 9
-2x units of line infantry with Terrifying Charge (yee-haw, the rebel yell! These are depleted regiments and have 1 less shooting and stamina than the others, though)
-1x rifled cannon

3rd Brigade, staff rating 9
-1x unit of line infantry
-1x rifled cannon

The rebel cavalry takes the farm and awaits the reinforcements:

The battle started with noted rebel and secessionist BULBASAUR ordering his cavalry, the youthful flower of the gentry, headlong into my cannon in order to distract them while the rest of his army arrived and mustered down the road:

As his troops trickled in, I pushed out of my trenches and met them headlong:

The climax of the battle is a series of brutal melees fought over this hill. My skirmishers end up being the heroes of the day as they refuse to die quickly to the veteran rebel column, and extracting enough blood in return that I'm able to drive off the rebels from the hill with a charge of my own:

The battle ends with a brief glimmer of hope for the rebels as the middle of my line dissolves like cotton candy in water, but an army commander-led charge on my cannon and the collapse of the rebel wings means they don't have the strength to press their advantage and the union carries the day! All in all a very good battle-- it was back and forth enough that both of us were sure we were losing badly at various points and by the end it really came down to some narrow scrapes in close combat that happened to fall my way. Not a bad evening!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Overall, I'm glad I got it, and I'll definitely be using it to help design the next scenarios for the Trent Affair. Has anyone looked through any of the other supplement books for BP? Any favorites or ones to avoid?

Oooooh ships. I've cobbled together some house rules for ironclads to someday fight Fort Donelson and Henry, are the rules in the book just for blockade ships or can I have a tinclad escort my troop carriers down the Mississippi?

As for other books, I only have BP and Pike and Shotte, but they're actually pretty useful together, since the P&S pointing system and commanders are better developed and both books together form a nice base for creating your own rules. I'm totally gonna be picking up Glory Hallelujah though, it seems like there's a bunch of small useful tidbits for me in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

My next scenario is the British main force coming in time to meet the main Union army, so the British will have two ironclads to provide support to secure a landing zone.

I feel like an rear end in a top hat picking historical nits about your hypothetical ahistorical scenario, but if the invasion is happening early 1862 then ironclads wouldn't be capable of blue-water operations.

Edit: I guess there were rigged ships with steam support and armor at that point but the classic "ironclad" all steam floating tank thing we're just brown water and used by the French, Union and Confederacy.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 19, 2016