Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Sigh. Again, I see what you're saying with them incurring a cost broadcasting those channels that are free if you grab them OTA, I'm just mad that I'm in a place where I don't really have the ability to have those basically three or four channels available OTA. thus my question about BoxeeTV. I'll look into other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Better yet, I got one of those combo deals from Comcast with some TV included and they give me a lovely little box that plays the local channels in lovely blurry SD quality. You gotta pay an extra charge or two to get ANYTHING in HD, even if it comes over the air that way. I actually ended up running an amplified antenna just so I could get those channels in HD on the rare occasion I actually want to watch something live nearby.

The Boxee TV thing I got is just a tuner so it won't help you if you can't get the TV in your room in the first place. An amplified antenna somewhere near the wall closest to the exterior of the building is probably the best you're gonna manage unless you pony up to Comcast or a competitor.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah just buy an amplified antenna. Amazon makes one for like $62. I just bought one and it works fine.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah just buy an amplified antenna. Amazon makes one for like $62. I just bought one and it works fine.
On the plus side, if you can get that working in one room and you've got a LAN set up you can throw an HDHomeRun of some variety on there and bam, access on all the computers (and even some TVs if you get a version that does DLNA). So right now I have this hosed up setup where I can't watch the HD broadcast TV in the room that has the antenna but I have it everywhere else.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Woah, that's actually kinda cool. I definitely need to check to see if my TVs have DNLA then because right now I only have the antenna hooked up to one TV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Woah, that's actually kinda cool. I definitely need to check to see if my TVs have DNLA then because right now I only have the antenna hooked up to one TV.

I use an hdhomerun and its great. I use WMC though with an HTPC. They have new ones now that do h264 transcoding internally so you can use ios or android devices to watch tv.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, and you have to make sure you get the type of HDHomeRun that does the DLNA if that's what you plan to use. I have an old one that only supports computers connecting but for how little I use it I don't really give a poo poo, and it was a nice bargain bin find.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
A friend of mine has a https://simple.tv. Its basically a self owned aereo system.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

deong posted:

A friend of mine has a https://simple.tv. Its basically a self owned aereo system.
Heh, and of course that's from the same hardware maker as the HDHomeRun. So I guess they have even more advanced stuff out there now, neat.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Inside? How far are you away from the closest broadcasting station? Have a model? Sorry for so many questions, but I'm quite interested. :cheers:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

eightysixed posted:

Inside? How far are you away from the closest broadcasting station? Have a model? Sorry for so many questions, but I'm quite interested. :cheers:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DIFIP06/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On average I'm 30-35 miles away from my local stations, which is right about the range you want to get an amplified antenna. I mounted it as high up on my wall next to a window.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

deong posted:

Had one (the original, not the v2), didn't like the interface and the speed, and went with the Roamio. Much better for OTA.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I've been running XBMC 13.1 final on the Boxee. It works great. I tried it on internal memory first and that is not so good, addons and fanart quickly use up all internal memory. Instead use a quality thumbdrive for the xbmc install. Especially useful is the ability to turn all my 3d SBS content into 2D for the living room tv upstairs.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is it still relatively straight forward to get it on there, and is it mostly complete now?

I am about ready to do away with the original OS as what made it great (suggested videos, facebook feed) is now pretty much all broken and dead anyway.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

jonathan posted:

So I've been running XBMC 13.1 final on the Boxee. It works great. I tried it on internal memory first and that is not so good, addons and fanart quickly use up all internal memory. Instead use a quality thumbdrive for the xbmc install. Especially useful is the ability to turn all my 3d SBS content into 2D for the living room tv upstairs.

how? with this? http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=116

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
Can the Boxee access 2 usb hard drives at the same time?

If not, would installing xbmc on it allow 2 drives to be used?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I had 5 drives connected my Boxee Box. no issues with the regular boxee software.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

Cornjob posted:

I had 5 drives connected my Boxee Box. no issues with the regular boxee software.

Thanks,

I'll have to do some troubleshooting. Mine keeps coming up with errors that it can't access the drives when I try and play a video file from the library.

Edit:
Upon some research, the Boxee can only power 1 drive so I need to get a powered usb hub to plug them into.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
2 ways to do it,

1 Install the boxee+hacks

Run the windows executable from a PC on the same network

This installs it to the internal memory.

2 Install boxee+hacks

Load xbmc onto a USB thumb drive
It will automatically boot from the thumb drive.

I ran into space issues running boxee from internal memory due to my library fanart size.

I'd recommend a quick USB 3 thumb drive, even though its going into a USB 2 port, the usb3 stick will be delivering max bandwidth to boxee.

Or if you can force xbmc to load the fanart via the fanart folders within the movie directories on your NAS or USB drive then running xbmc off internal memory might be quicker.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 18, 2014

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Ugh. Mine is now doing this thing where when I turn it on, as soon as I start playing a video file it dies and won't turn back on for about 20 minutes. After that, it usually dies again trying to play a file, but after that it's fine. I guess it's had a good nearly 4 year run.

Is there anything as good at local media playback yet that isn't an HTPC?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

VERTiG0 posted:

Ugh. Mine is now doing this thing where when I turn it on, as soon as I start playing a video file it dies and won't turn back on for about 20 minutes. After that, it usually dies again trying to play a file, but after that it's fine. I guess it's had a good nearly 4 year run.

Firetv with xbmc

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

WDTV lives arent bad.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Don Lapre posted:

Firetv with xbmc

Didn't realize this was a thing. So just need to side load the xbmc apk? Looked quickly at the wiki, looks like root isn't needed but some add-ons can use root...

I was thinking an Intel nuk but the firetv if much cheaper.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
looking to offload a boxee box soon, if anyone is looking for one shoot me a PM and we can work it out in SA-Mart or something.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Oh poo poo, is there much of any issues with this xbmc on fire? That looks like an awesome solution.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

It's awesome on the Fire TV. If you want to use an external USB drive you have to root it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644021

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Elston Gunn posted:

It's awesome on the Fire TV. If you want to use an external USB drive you have to root it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644021

I'm more worried about just using a NFS share off my NAS than I am any sort of local content. But I imagine that's built into XBMC (I have 0 experience with it)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ILikeVoltron posted:

I'm more worried about just using a NFS share off my NAS than I am any sort of local content. But I imagine that's built into XBMC (I have 0 experience with it)

XBMC supports like every possible file sharing protocol. It even supports ftp and poo poo

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=File_sharing

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You guys are starting to convince me to dump my 2 Boxees for fire tvs. Dammit.

Granted I haven't read the wiki yet, but does it take a lot of loving around to get XBMC working on it? I basically only stream local content from my NAS via SMB shares.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I would honestly wait for the android TV coming this fall.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its easy but as of right now, starting XBMC on it is kinda weird, you can't create alaunch button for it, instead you must go into settings and choose to launch it. This could possibly be improved by new with the root stuff figured out a couple weeks back.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Don Lapre posted:

I would honestly wait for the android TV coming this fall.

So this is the new Andriod version that's coming out from google I/O right? This one keeps poping up : http://www.androidtv.com/android-tv-community.html and is $200, running on jelly bean, anyway - what hardware are we looking at for andriod tv? Is there a new device or are you just thinking you'll run android tv on the fire? That would make sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ILikeVoltron posted:

So this is the new Andriod version that's coming out from google I/O right? This one keeps poping up : http://www.androidtv.com/android-tv-community.html and is $200, running on jelly bean, anyway - what hardware are we looking at for andriod tv? Is there a new device or are you just thinking you'll run android tv on the fire? That would make sense to me.

There are new devices coming out in fall that run "android tv"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaDVXhqwHcc

• Locked thread