Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
I wonder if we'll hear news from Boxee tomorrow now that the Google TV news has hit.

Google TV seems like the same functionality of Boxee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Wait, what does Google TV do? Why would I want it over this?

This is getting confusing, all I want is something to play MKVs natively with proper subtitle support :(

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

We are a month away from the end of Q2, when the Boxee Box was supposed to be released and we still haven't heard anything new. So I'm going to go ahead and say it: the Boxee Box is vaporware.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

At least we know they're working on an Android app that'll work with the newly announced Google TV:

http://www.candlerblog.com/2010/05/24/boxee-and-googletv-will-bring-content-to-your-tv/

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

bilperkins2 posted:

At least we know they're working on an Android app that'll work with the newly announced Google TV:

No, they're looking at working on an Android app.

I think I'm just gonna build myself a new XBMC box.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Twiin posted:

That's what i did and i couldn't be happier :smug:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BiohazrD posted:

We are a month away from the end of Q2, when the Boxee Box was supposed to be released and we still haven't heard anything new. So I'm going to go ahead and say it: the Boxee Box is vaporware.

If I didn't see the video of it at CES I would agree. I guess I will build a XBMC box oh well.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

It's going to be outdated before it is even released. I can understand wanting to make sure the product is ready, but this market is starting to move really fast. So far we have:

Popbox (behind schedule) - uses crappy, locked-down, outdated Sigma chip and closed OS (though it allows plugins).

Boxee Box (behind schedule/vaporware) - sounds good, but the Tegra2 is going to get its lunch eaten by the better Intel CE4100 in GTv. Also, h/w by D-Link is not exactly know for quality.

Google TV - Intel CE4100 chipset, Logitech hardware, Android, big-company. Clearly the winner from a s/w and h/w perspective.

The whole thing reminds me of the Pandora (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)) debacle. Ships 2 years after it was promised with specs that looked good at the time but are now beat by many cell phones. I think the best bet at this point is to use an Aspire Revo w/XBMC. At least with that, if the GTV is super awesome, it can be reused as a general computer.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How portable are things like the revo? I was really hoping to get a boxee and pair it with a 1tb usb hdd and be able to take downloaded content/netflix anywhere I wanted (couldnt care less about hulu). Even the googletv doesn't seem like a good option for that.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

mastershakeman posted:

How portable are things like the revo? I was really hoping to get a boxee and pair it with a 1tb usb hdd and be able to take downloaded content/netflix anywhere I wanted (couldnt care less about hulu). Even the googletv doesn't seem like a good option for that.

The revo is slightly smaller than your average netbook and the power is the size of a large laptop brick. If you have a 1tb USB drive it's probably bigger then the Revo.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Which one's the Revo everyone uses? Newegg lists two that seem similar, but I don't know if the extra cache, RAM, and "LE" video card make a difference in playback.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103235&cm_re=revo-_-83-103-235-_-Product
$329

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228&cm_re=revo-_-83-103-228-_-Product
$200

MOST of my content is not HD, but I'd like it to be capable of streaming my HD stuff over my network, for future-proofing sake. This will be wired connected so having integrated Wifi is not important to me.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

If you don't need windows, there's a taiwanese shop on ebay selling them for like $280... shipped in 4 days for me which was incredible (especially since i'm on the east coast).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

How about something like the WDTV w/ an external drive? Smaller and cheaper.

bilperkins2 posted:

Which one's the Revo everyone uses? Newegg lists two that seem similar, but I don't know if the extra cache, RAM, and "LE" video card make a difference in playback.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103235&cm_re=revo-_-83-103-235-_-Product
$329

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228&cm_re=revo-_-83-103-228-_-Product
$200

MOST of my content is not HD, but I'd like it to be capable of streaming my HD stuff over my network, for future-proofing sake. This will be wired connected so having integrated Wifi is not important to me.

I use the single-core Revo w/ XBMC on Linux to get hardware acceleration through the ION, which can handle 1080p content with no problem. If you need to run flash content or Netflix streaming, the dual-core would be best because most of the decoding will be done on Windows via the CPU.

This discussion may be better off in the general HTPC thread as well.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Twiin posted:

No, they're looking at working on an Android app.

Sorely tempted to do this as well, but I bet it'll cost more than $200 :(

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

The main problem with building a media center for me is that I want the following features:

1) RAID
2) Remote control.
3) HDMI audio with Dolby pass through.

Number 1 is somewhat easy but introduces all kinds of other problems. I use Ubuntu because software Raid 5 is too hard for Microsoft, this of course makes number 2 a bit harder and just completely fucks number 3. Also, you just straight up lose Netflix if you aren't using Windows/Mac client.

Number 2 is sort of a pain (if you've configured LIRC you'll know what I'm talking about). I dont understand why to this day there isn't a "Set up my remote" option in XBMC/Boxee with a simple interface. PRESS A BUTTON, WHAT DO YOU WANT IT TO DO? Instead there are like 4 XML files you have to manually edit and even then it only sort of works.

Number 3 is the deal breaker though. Linux and audio are basically mutually exclusive, I did get it working for a time but honestly it's still light years away from being easy and intuitive as far as Dolby pass through being handled automatically. Especially when you consider the configuration in XBMC/Boxee. You have to manually type the name of the output device. For example, mine is hw:0,2 and how do you find this out? Lot's of terminal command and trial and error. Again, the developers could make this significantly easier with a simple drop down menu and a "DOES THIS AUDIO DEVICE WORK Y/N?".

Boxee Box was going to solve this by me just plugging it in and it working properly with my receiver, with my home file server not having to worry about any of that poo poo.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 26, 2010

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Check this out: http://sourceforge.net/apps/wordpress/xci/

It installs XBMC (stable, svn ppa, or compiled from SVN) onto Ubuntu 9.04 (which addresses concern #1 and handles problems #2 and #3 for you

# Setup for AT3N7A-I Bluetooth Dongle (1.09 beta)
# Installs ASRock HT/BD Remote CIR Drivers (32Bit/64Bit auto detection & support)
# Installs/configures MCE Remote Controler & USB receiver
# Installs BT remote (PS3) V1.09beta

# Installs Alsa sound and configures sound levels

It even has a nice (text based) wizard which walks you through all this stuff.

Though I would argue that you don't want your XBMC machine to be the one that handles storage and processing - you're probably better off getting a cheap Revo or something of that ilk that just plays content.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

BiohazrD posted:

The main problem with building a media center for me is that I want the following features:

1) RAID

Number 1 is somewhat easy but introduces all kinds of other problems. I use Ubuntu because software Raid 5 is too hard for Microsoft, this of course makes number 2 a bit harder and just completely fucks number 3. Also, you just straight up lose Netflix if you aren't using Windows/Mac client.

Boxee Box was going to solve this by me just plugging it in and it working properly with my receiver, with my home file server not having to worry about any of that poo poo.

I'm not really sure why Raid5 is needed? You said all of your content is accessible on a network why do you need to complicate your media center PC with harware/software RAID? If a Boxee Box will solve everything for you then so would a Revo running XBMC or wait and see what Google TV brings to the plate.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

gariig posted:

I'm not really sure why Raid5 is needed? You said all of your content is accessible on a network why do you need to complicate your media center PC with harware/software RAID?

Yeah, I agree with this. If you desperately want RAID for some unknown reason just get a Drobo or a QNAS some other RAID enabled network attached storage box, but don't overdesign your HTPC with it.

Beloved Cunt
Jan 14, 2004

From the blog:

"Since the Beta launch back in January, we’ve been working feverishly on software for the Boxee Box (we promise an announcement is coming soon)"

Argh, hurry up!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Twiin posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. If you desperately want RAID for some unknown reason just get a Drobo or a QNAS some other RAID enabled network attached storage box, but don't overdesign your HTPC with it.

Those solutions cost money. RAID in Linux is seriously as easy as plugging the drives into your existing motherboard and configuring some software.

crm posted:

Check this out: http://sourceforge.net/apps/wordpress/xci/

It installs XBMC (stable, svn ppa, or compiled from SVN) onto Ubuntu 9.04 (which addresses concern #1 and handles problems #2 and #3 for you

# Setup for AT3N7A-I Bluetooth Dongle (1.09 beta)
# Installs ASRock HT/BD Remote CIR Drivers (32Bit/64Bit auto detection & support)
# Installs/configures MCE Remote Controler & USB receiver
# Installs BT remote (PS3) V1.09beta

# Installs Alsa sound and configures sound levels

It even has a nice (text based) wizard which walks you through all this stuff.

Though I would argue that you don't want your XBMC machine to be the one that handles storage and processing - you're probably better off getting a cheap Revo or something of that ilk that just plays content.

This assumes a certain subset of hardware. Also none of that has anything to do with Dolby passthrough, which is my primary concern with sound since so much of my stuff has 5.1 audio.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Unless I'm horribly misunderstanding things, XBMC will do DTS/DD5.1 over HDMI...

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is this ever coming out?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

kri kri posted:

Is this ever coming out?

I got xbmc and a revo and never looked back :cool:

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Mister Fister posted:

I got xbmc and a revo and never looked back :cool:

Same here - the Revo is great and has made an outstanding solution for what I was looking for. Never have to touch the thing, either...

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Last week I got an Asus EB1012U (not the Revo because I needed 802.11n but it's basically identical).

Boxee is cool and I like it (I disabled all the social poo poo though, who really gives a gently caress what I am watching right now?) but the choppy flash video in the Apps (BBC iPlayer, HD youtube etc) is really annoying.

I'm already on Flash 10.1rc7 and the latest nvidia drivers and directx runtime but is there anything i've overlooked ?

Also i'm using a wiimote and it works just so drat well.

One Arm Manny
May 17, 2008

qutius posted:

Same here - the Revo is great and has made an outstanding solution for what I was looking for. Never have to touch the thing, either...

I got tired of waiting and did the same. XBMC has really improved since whatever version I had on my Xbox. I was looking for something more based on playing local files than internet streaming anyway.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

What is a Revo? A media player or a HTPC or what?

I just want a media player not a computer :(

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

This is the lower end one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228

I don't know how it does with 1080p, but I hear it's great. Of course, you gotta pick up a remote of sorts. I've had good luck with the WDTV Live for my purposes, but an open computer that works with XBMC will be much more customizable. There really isn't a h/w device that can compete with a gen-purpose computer running XBMC or MediaPortal right now. Hopefully, the GoogleTV will make it all work like it should.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/11/boxee-box-delayed-until-november/

Ouch, November seems like a ways off.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Tivac posted:

Yep, later Boxee, unless this poo poo comes out for $99 what the hell is the point? It's going to have such outdated hardware by the time it hits market that it wouldn't be worth anything more than that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Tivac posted:

I'm glad you can at least install the software on whatever hardware you want. Shame about the hardware, though. Someone will figure out how to put it on the new $99 AppleTV and it wont matter anymore.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Why won't they just release the new version that works with Flash 10.1 so us people with ion based machines can use the apps without terrible performance!

To me, that is hurting them more because anyone who installs it on an ion is going to get a bad experience.

It's even marked as fixed in their bug tracker!

But yeah Google TV is going to destroy it, at least for those who want to buy a box that just works and not run it on an actual pc.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Tivac posted:

Now I'm really glad I said gently caress boxee and got a revo on sale when I did.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I don't understand this, if it's got software issues that you're waiting til November for but the hardware is fine then release it and update the drat software.

It's not like Google TV is an alternative for me, apparently they're not doing anything with it here until like 2011 or something.

Okay are there any cheap basic media players that actually support subtitles properly that I can get in the meantime?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boxee relies heavily on Flash (it's what nearly all of their apps use) so they can't just release it with a major portion missing

WDTV supports subtitles. They also just released a new version this week that supports Netflix.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Tivac posted:

They just lost like all their drat customers releasing this late why would anyone buy this is beyond me.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It looks like Boxee has shot themselves in the proverbial foot and any support of the device coming out of CES will be ice cold in November. Add to that it's the Linux version (which I was not impressed with) of Boxee and this might be a fatal wound

It's a shame but technology improves rapidly and you can't fall behind.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
On top of that, nobody would buy it on looks either. Why the gently caress they chose a triangle is beyond me. Every company of worth knows to make their poo poo a rectangle because everyone else makes their poo poo rectangular. Customers just stack them on top of each other.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

WDTV supports subtitles. They also just released a new version this week that supports Netflix.

How well does it support subtitles? My current player technically "supports subtitles" but the actual support is unfortunately pretty loving appalling.

I guess I also wanted Boxee for their apps, does WDTV have anything similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Omegaslast posted:

They just lost like all their drat customers releasing this late why would anyone buy this is beyond me.

This is pretty much true. I'd be surprised if Boxee actually gets the Box out and not become vapor ware. GoogleTV is suppose to come out around that time as well, maybe even before... so in other words it's pretty much hosed. Shame, because if it came out a few months ago, I'd have replaced my WDTV live with one in a heartbeat.

• Locked thread