Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Got mine in today, and it's... well, a first-day release product. Overall, I think it has a lot of promise, but that's not without issues.

So far:
  • The internet content is all launched in the browser and you have to manually move the cursor to hit the full screen buttons.
  • local content is hidden under the "files" area of shows or movies.
  • Subtitles were annoying to figure out how to get disabled when I ran into an mkv with them embedded.
  • Some movies are getting grey screens instead of art.
On the bright side, I toyed with my router a bit and it's streaming 720p content over wireless pretty decently. It also tagged a huge chunk of my library within 30 minutes without mistagging a single one. Fancast even makes a great replacement for hulu in the meantime, with all of the shows we watch still showing up and being viewable in some form. Searching even worked fairly well to grab across multiple areas, albeit a bit slowly. It even instantly recognized my SMB shares and had my NAS linked up within a minute or so.

I can certainly see there's some rough edges left in the software since it was never openly tested, but they seem to be pretty responsive about fixing them. At this point it seems totally worth the cost to me.

Next-Gen fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
I definitely feel a lot better about the box today now that the Boxee team has started to respond to the issues and seems to be actively bug hunting. Releasing on a national holiday might have been a slight error from a PR perspective.

masada00
Mar 21, 2009
Mine came in yesterday and I must say that after playing around with it for about 24 hours that it's a decent product especially with it being so new. My biggest gripe is that it seems like the Boxee team has been pretty sneaky about content they removed from BB that was previously available in the Mac/Windows software. I can understand Netflix not working out of the box because this was addressed a few times on the blog but I'm sorely disappointed about the removal of the Hulu and JustinTV apps. In regards to JustinTV, I had never even heard of the site until I saw it referenced on the Boxee blog and I was pretty surprised to see it missing from the BB apps. I understand that the Boxee team had to make certain concessions to be able to access such things as Hulu Plus, I just wish they would have been more transparent about what they were doing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Delivery status not updated as of November 12, 2010, 10:58 pm
Out for Delivery, November 12, 2010, 8:58 am, XXXX, CA 95677
Sorting Complete, November 12, 2010, 8:48 am, XXXX, CA 95677
Arrival at Post Office, November 12, 2010, 6:57 am, XXXX, CA 95677
Electronic Shipping Info Received, November 11, 2010

WTF. I want my boxee. :( I got mail yesterday, but not the boxee.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 13, 2010

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Drevoak posted:

You also have to remember that this is the initial release of a brand new item. It won't work for everyone right away. This kind of situation has happened for every single new electronics release. There are people that praise it and enjoy it while there are groups that call it an abomination that should have never existed. People should know by now that to not expect a first generation device to work at 100% compatibility at release.

This is absolute bullshit. It's called QA, and it seems clear to me that this release was lacking it.

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA

Solkanar512 posted:

This is absolute bullshit. It's called QA, and it seems clear to me that this release was lacking it.
This has been boxee from the beginning. Every year they promise to fix bugs, address user complaints, add features; they'll accomplish some of that, albeit in a half-assed way, but really they just redesign the interface and promise to get things smoothed out "in the next release." This is annoying, yet understandable for a beta version on Windows/Linux/Mac. But when you're releasing a product to store shelves, for $200, you'd expect the device to be reasonably stable and deliver on promised features. That's why a lot of people, like myself, want(ed) a boxee box--similar library and playback support to that of XBMC, full browser with flash, support from major streamers like netflix and hulu, app market, and a professional, streamlined interface. I've run an XBMC box for years but I'm tired of the hassle, it's a loving pain in the rear end and no HTPC enthusiast that comes to these threads can honestly admit they wouldn't prefer something like this, if it was stable. XBMC is a great project but gently caress Home Theater PCs.

LittleCat posted:

I definitely feel a lot better about the box today now that the Boxee team has started to respond to the issues and seems to be actively bug hunting. Releasing on a national holiday might have been a slight error from a PR perspective.
More than likely they were partying all week and finally sobered up enough to check their forums. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, mainly because the boxee box and software, in design, are exactly what I want. I glanced at their forums two days ago and it was nothing but people complaining about problems with no response from staff. You just released a product simultaneously in 30 countries and you didn't think it necessary to monitor your support forums? This is one thing linux nerds that commercialize a product should be good at. :wotwot:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

I've run an XBMC box for years but I'm tired of the hassle, it's a loving pain in the rear end and no HTPC enthusiast that comes to these threads can honestly admit they wouldn't prefer something like this, if it was stable. XBMC is a great project but gently caress Home Theater PCs.

I don't get this at all. It took me about 5 hours to get XBMC setup the way I want it and I doubt I will have to touch it for months or years to come. It is admittedly a giant pain in the rear end to setup but once you have it done, you can just leave it alone.

All I want from a BB is that same "play anything" experience + Netflix and etc. So far its quite a bit more problematic than XBMC as far as I can tell from playing around with it at a friends place. I'd love one of these for my bedroom but it looks like it still needs quite a bit work.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

By the way, music and photos definitely aren't missing; they just moved them to the "Files" tab on the home screen.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Next-Gen posted:

By the way, music and photos definitely aren't missing; they just moved them to the "Files" tab on the home screen.

Oh, good, they didn't get rid of them, they just filed them away somewhere retarded. Another winning design decision from Team Boxee.

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't get this at all. It took me about 5 hours to get XBMC setup the way I want it and I doubt I will have to touch it for months or years to come. It is admittedly a giant pain in the rear end to setup but once you have it done, you can just leave it alone.
Yeah, just leave it alone, until you want to change anything or upgrade or something just stops working for no reason. Or the bugs you just learn to live with because who wants to spend 12 hours searching forums to get suspend working without crashes. All this work so I can use "Transparency Aeon Mod 2.4" and organize my anime collection, ranked from never going to watch to might watch one episode sometime in the next ten years.

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005
I got it to see my shares. It is still garbage at recognizing movies though. I am about 1/4 of the way through checking them, and it has gotten about 25% wrong. How does it think "The Hangover" is "Slaughter"? I am seriously thinking about returning it. Hopefully XBMC gets hacked onto it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Weird, I'm sorry to hear that folks are having lots of issues. I am really happy with it and it's performed great for me.

I just have a couple minor squibbles, mostly relating to the naming convention stuff. It does find 95% of my stuff properly although I would have thought having <series name>/<season>/ <ep num> - <ep name>.<extension> would be a sensible way to have tv series archived.

I've ran my scripts to rename the files to <series name> SXXEYY - <ep name>.<extension> though so it's no big deal.

Going to mess around with the justin.tv app and see about getting atdhe working so it might be a nice way for watching sports broadcasts, even.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Greenfield posted:

I got it to see my shares. It is still garbage at recognizing movies though. I am about 1/4 of the way through checking them, and it has gotten about 25% wrong. How does it think "The Hangover" is "Slaughter"? I am seriously thinking about returning it. Hopefully XBMC gets hacked onto it.

I've found that the misidentification is almost always a problem with the filename OR a .nfo file in the directory. I have a lot of media (>4TB) that was renamed for my HTPC with XBMC. The boxee only had problems identifying a handful of items. Granted, I haven't combed through the pages to look for inaccuracies. I don't believe I will find too many though as casually browsing I didn't see any movies/tv shows I don't have.

tl,dr: I recommend renaming everything to a common convention that XBMC/Boxee recognizes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

USPS showed up. Still no boxee. :( First time I've had a package be screwy in any way ("out for delivery" for 2 days and not here? WTF?) and it's frustrating.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Don Lapre posted:

Dont know if anyone else has tried it, but hulu works through the browser.

I'm honestly surprised that Hulu worked when I tried it. Youtube also went full screen when selecting a video through the website which is what the Youtube channel should have been instead of just playing videos at startup without the ability to pause them

For anyone that has it, PlayOn also works on it so when (not if) the browser is blocked, there is a alternative available. The Daily Show played better through it then through Boxee's option of pulling the browser up

My first impressions has the product seen some flaws that can be hopefully be ironed out with patches but it's obvious that this was a day 1 release. The remote is good but it needed a power button on it

masada00
Mar 21, 2009

Island Nation posted:

The remote is good but it needed a power button on it

The menu button on the remote will turn the box on but you still need to navigate the menu to turn it off.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

masada00 posted:

The menu button on the remote will turn the box on but you still need to navigate the menu to turn it off.

First 2nd impression: I was dumb enough to not find a power button on a remote control. The remote should indicate if I had caps on or was in alt. mode (which should be on/off like caps instead of the hold it down for it to work mode).

Since I don't have 400TB of meticulously labeled fansubbed OAV's in 1080p MKV DTS-MA (I have no gripes with anime , it just annoys me how anal people can be with any form of entertainment), I've mostly been playing with a few local files off a flash drive and it plays them well. I haven't tried that much with computer to Boxee streaming but I will test that at some point. Gamecenter (NHL) seems to play sporadically with freezing occurring every few seconds so it's not perfect but it can improve.

It's very likely my feelings for the device will ebb and flow as updates progress but I think people just don't want to feel that they wasted $200 or what currency people have on what was a half-baked product. I believe right now that while the box probably won't be back on it's way to Amazon, Boxee does have some work cut out for them now to fix what should have been resolved in QA.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Oh, good, they didn't get rid of them, they just filed them away somewhere retarded. Another winning design decision from Team Boxee.

It wasn't actually really a design decision - they've said that they wanted to use their time to focus on getting the best possible video playing box out the door, and music and photo integration suffered as a result. The move into the file browser is temporary, until they can get the integration up to par.

Also, Island Nation: They don't really want you turning the box on and off, set it to go into low power mode after being idle for X minutes and it is basically off, but doesn't need to recache everything when you turn it back on. Turning it off is equivalent to hitting the hard power switch on a PC or PS3 or something.

tragick
Apr 2, 2003

I have to use a lot of descriptive insults to give voice to my inner pain.

I got mine and having had quite a bit of experience with Boxee and XBMC, it is operating just about how I expected it to. Which is to say that I hope someone gets XBMC running on it ASAP. Doesn't really bother me though, I knew going in that the library database/scraping would be poo poo compared to XBMC and I'd pretty much have to use the Files view.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ilkhan posted:

Delivery status not updated as of November 12, 2010, 10:58 pm
Out for Delivery, November 12, 2010, 8:58 am, XXXX, CA 95677
Sorting Complete, November 12, 2010, 8:48 am, XXXX, CA 95677
Arrival at Post Office, November 12, 2010, 6:57 am, XXXX, CA 95677
Electronic Shipping Info Received, November 11, 2010

WTF. I want my boxee. :( I got mail yesterday, but not the boxee.

I got email today from amazon uk saying they've yet to receive stock, and mine is delayed to 17th December. Was originally meant to be here last Monday. I've now cancelled cos I can't be bothered to wait that long. For 200 pounds (uk cost) they could at least get the product here on time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I love my boxee. Even though there are lots of bugs, we watched flash content all night, MST3k, mr rogers neighborhood, bunch of adult swim shows. This thing owns.

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005
Has anyone got the nba league pass broadband to work? I can get to the nba site through the browser, but I cannot click on the login link.

z0rge Costanza
Jul 30, 2006

My posting...it's shit Jerry! Shit!
I wish milkdrop wasn't removed in 1.0 :saddowns:

Oh well... this thing is much nicer than the WDTV box it's replacing. Hopefully boxee or a third party make a grate firmware for this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Am I missing how to set up multiple users? On my HTPC, I like to have a separate user in XBMC for my Kids movies and shows. There is an option to switch users in the power-off menu but it either locks up the box or just reboots the machine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

z0ratio sexhaver posted:

I wish milkdrop wasn't removed in 1.0 :saddowns:

Oh well... this thing is much nicer than the WDTV box it's replacing. Hopefully boxee or a third party make a grate firmware for this.

I replaced a wdtv also, love that i dont have to create loving cover art.

People already have telnet root access. Hacks should happen quick i think.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Don Lapre posted:

I replaced a wdtv also, love that i dont have to create loving cover art.

People already have telnet root access. Hacks should happen quick i think.
Anybody interested in following the progress of boxee box tinkering should check out this link. I'm really hoping that people get xbmc on this thing quickly. Mine arrives in the mail on Tuesday, and after reading the gripes in here, I'm none too thrilled.

However, for $200, I'm also not disappointed.

alecm
Aug 20, 2004

Lorraine, I'm your density. I mean . . . your destiny.
I think for most users, the flaws aren't enough to undo the good of the device. It works well enough for a 1.0 release that I'm very happy with the purchase. It's still for the savvy early adopter (I don't think my parents would enjoy it very much), but there's a lot of good stuff at a reasonable price. What's lacking can be touched up in software, and Boxee seem willing to do that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can look at bug status on this page, submit your own, and see what is fixed for the next build.

http://jira.boxee.tv/secure/Dashboard.jspa

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Anyone happen to mess around with getting http://www.atdhe.net/ to work on the box? I can pull up the site in the browser, but can't click any links. I didn't do much more than that though, so I may have missed something obvious.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Avner made a post on boxee forums about updates coming to boxee box

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=22313

Been reading many of the posts in the forum, tweets and emails. There are many issues surfaced by people who use Boxee primarily to access local videos rather than stream stuff from online sources.

This the key issues being reported and what we're going to do about them:

It is too cumbersome to get to local movies, tv shows
This issue is part of a broader feeling that Boxee has de-emphasized local files and is pushing online source instead. This is true and we made a mistake by not leaving it up to the user to decide.

Planned solution: We are going to let users tell Boxee whether they are going to use it mostly for local or Internet playback. In case you select "Local" clicking on Movies or Shows will take you to the movie or show files rather than to the most popular online titles.

We will expand on this notion and let users play with their settings as well.

Missing Filter and Sort options for local files
Many users are missing the ability to filter by Genre and have easier Sort controls (stuff that was in the left menubar in the Beta).

Planned solution: We are going to enable filtering by Genre for local Movies and Shows. Rather than bringing back the left menubar (that many users never discovered) we will introduce a new Sort button to the Browse Screens so you can easily choose to sort by Date (including reverse order) and A-Z.

We will also bring back the Mark as Watched and the ability to filter and see only the Unwatched Movies.

Improve navigation in long lists of files
When you have 600 videos in a folder navigating through the list is somewhat painful.

Planned solution: In addition to easier sorting options we will introduce new ways to navigate the list by A-Z. Hopefully it will make it much quicker.

Want Boxee to scan your folders more frequently
In the Beta we had "Monitored Folder", which made Boxee scan that folder for new files very frequently. Alas it created many issues especially as it relates to SMB sources.

Planned solution: Introduce a more granular scanning option. Maybe in an hourly resolution as well as make it easier to "force" Boxee to scan a source for new files.

There is also a bug related to manually identifying TV Shows, which we're fixing.

SMB sources disappear, prompting for u/p, SMB server showing wrong info re disk space
We heard multiple reports of issues related to SMB sources that "disappear" and only reboot brings em back. Mostly happening to users of Mac OS 10.6

Also some reports on prompts for u/p when they are not needed.
People who set up Boxee as an SMB server report that it shows wrong info re available space on the attached drive.

Planned solution: We are troubleshooting with several users who experienced this issue to find the bug and fix it. Hope to have news on that front soon.

Choppy playback of some file types
Some ISO and MKV files are not playing smoothly.

If you have a file that does not play well on Boxee we'd like to know about it. Please upload a sample and send us a link. We are looking at each one of these and trying to make it work.

Planned solution: We are working with multiple users on samples they sent us. We found some issues (either our issue or Intel issue) and working on fixes.

We are committed to make Boxee the best and most versatile player of video files. If it is feasible with our HW we will make it work.

Thumbnail loading, caching
For people with lots of videos the thumbnail loading and caching has been very problematic. It takes long to load and it needs to do it after every reboot.

Planned solution: We are looking into the way we load thumbs. There may be an issue right there. We are also looking for an alternative solution for caching the thumbs (maybe on an SD/USB stick or on the NAND).

We also want to support folder.jpg that users already have rather than going out to the Internets to fetch one.

Subtitle support
We are very proud to be supporting multiple subtitle formats including control of font, size, color and location. Alas some users have reported bugs related to SSA/rear end.

Plus a very annoying bug that make subtitles show by default..

Planned solution: We already fixed the default subtitle behavior and are looking into the issues related to SSA/rear end.

Weak WiFi signal
People reporting weak WiFi signals and in some cases buffering because of it.

Planned solution: First I must admit we have a somewhat embarrassing bug that Boxee shows the strongest WiFi AP as the weakest... Yes, I Know.. as I said, embarrassing. We fixed it. Now we need to find out why some people are having real miserable experience over WiFi. We are looking into it and troubleshooting with multiple users.

So you are "working on it". great.. but when should we expect fixes?
We are going to have a first firmware fix out later this week. Fixing support for 1080i TVs (a nasty, nasty bug) and as many other bugs as possible.

The UI fixes are going to take us 2-4 weeks, but otherwise we plan to release updates probably once a week in the short term, and then move to a more sane update schedule.

We appreciate all your feedback (including the blunt stuff) and hope to demonstrate that not only we listen, but we also fix the stuff you care about the most.

Feel free to email me directly at avner [AT] boxee. I read all my emails and answer, too...

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

I'm really happy with this response. There are a few issues people are having that haven't been addressed (mostly the Windows 7 issues, which are almost definitely problems with Windows, not Boxee), but for the most part they've acknowledged everyone's problems, agreed with most of the issues, and laid out a plan for resolution. And all without giving into the crowd who was crying about how they should just roll everything back to the last beta version and move on from there.

Avener's also been super helpful with support via email and twitter. So good on them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mine came in.
Windows live was loving with shares on my server, got that sorted.
Long as they can put a decent local only type switch, I'll be super happy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LittleCat posted:

I'm really happy with this response. There are a few issues people are having that haven't been addressed (mostly the Windows 7 issues, which are almost definitely problems with Windows, not Boxee), but for the most part they've acknowledged everyone's problems, agreed with most of the issues, and laid out a plan for resolution. And all without giving into the crowd who was crying about how they should just roll everything back to the last beta version and move on from there.

Avener's also been super helpful with support via email and twitter. So good on them.

Wow, that is a great response. It's a shame they did not mention Netflix. Does anyone have any news on that? The performance of their first patch and the Netflix support are the only things that still have me on the fence. I would love to pick one of these up if anyone does an online Black Friday deal for them, or otherwise in the next 2-3 weeks. My current "solution" is starting to get on my nerves.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Overall the feeling I get playing with this thing is really close to how I felt with my old Xbox running XBMC back in the day. It tries to do a lot and some of it is really unpolished if not outright broken. The polished stuff feels limited though so it's kind of catch-22.

I fiddled around with some apps on the main page, some work great but others are randomly broken. I definitely had some where the video just refused to play but since they were in the app box I couldn't just pop over to the website and see if the videos listed were even working on the site. The Boxee software supports homebrew apps too, if you happen to figure out that "repository" thing and get the big one added (there is really only one worth adding, that person adds all the apps from the others listed). Even then there are only about as many homebrew apps as there are 'regular' apps, and the homemade ones are way more broken more often.

The browser is kinda poo poo. There is no option to zoom or favorite a page, both of which the Wii had for gently caress's sake. The little remote is nice but there's no lighting, it runs on a tiny battery (so I'm obviously not meant to be tapping on it constantly) and I should be able to just bookmark a goddamn thing. If you want to be able to read sites switch manually back to a lower resolution (720p looks ok for me) and then switch back when you go back to streaming HD poo poo locally. An ad-heavy page like Ustream is going to stutter like hell so you may as well not even bother. Even if you do the page will invariably lock up after a while and either stop showing video or stop playing audio.

That leads to the next issue, there's some sort of leaking going on. A crashed app or a hung page sometimes will make the whole box malfunction until you soft reset it. Sometimes a stuck web page will reload fine if you back out one page and go forward, other times you can get things so screwed up that you had better just reset.

I haven't figured out the whole Samba thing with Win 7 yet, it keeps asking me for passwords on poo poo. I'll try the suggestions in that thread later but it's not a really comprehensive instruction from what I can tell. I already have Tversity and Playon running anyway so I just tried it out with those. I haven't got anything worth indexing but the videos I was having audio issues with on my Xbox played fine on the BB. Is there some benefit to me getting the Samba shares set up? I am not sure if it is even worth dicking around with.

Also I know this isn't really their fault, but I hate the stupid Leanback they put as the Youtube app. The 'your feed' always posts a bunch of friend-of-friend type poo poo and there's no option to just go through my subscriptions. I will probably just stick with clicking subscriptions off the main page through the browser.

The 'main' interface (tv shows, movies) is probably where they put in the most effort, I guess. I am sort of spoiled by Netflix's rating/suggestion code so I'm not terribly enthusiastic about just browsing through the categories. From what I could tell though there's plenty to look through there even though Netflix, Vudu and Hulu are all missing for now. I got so distracted by the other crap I was exploring that I haven't really given this part of the package much attention though. I did notice it pulls Fancast (cable company) pages as options so I imagine it's going to look super redundant if they get Hulu in there too.

Also for some retarded reason the RSS feeds you plug in on the Boxee web site don't seem to actually propogate to the machine. I see some sort of option in the settings for web server access, I will have to try that tonight and see if I can paste poo poo in from my computer.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Wow, that is a great response. It's a shame they did not mention Netflix. Does anyone have any news on that? The performance of their first patch and the Netflix support are the only things that still have me on the fence. I would love to pick one of these up if anyone does an online Black Friday deal for them, or otherwise in the next 2-3 weeks. My current "solution" is starting to get on my nerves.

All we know is that Netflix has been promised before the end of the year. I doubt they'll update that info before it's ready to go (or gets delayed, I guess).

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Mine came in yesterday, not happy with the 1.0 software changes. What is the point of being in beta for years and then make such a drastic change from .99 to 1.0 with no end user testing.

The identification of issues and fixes sounds good at least.

Also having issues with samba. It doesn't discover my linux media server/nas by default. Found it when I manually pointed to it though. Only issue is it keeps saying disconnected so it never completes the media scan. Works fine in file browse mode though. Doesn't seem to support XBMC metadata/thumbnails though

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

osama bin diesel posted:

Also having issues with samba. It doesn't discover my linux media server/nas by default. Found it when I manually pointed to it though. Only issue is it keeps saying disconnected so it never completes the media scan. Works fine in file browse mode though. Doesn't seem to support XBMC metadata/thumbnails though

I had this issue too, your network needs to have a WINS server for scanning to work (for whatever reason it doesn't scan if you're connecting directly by IP). If you're running Samba you can make it a WINS server, just make sure your DHCP server knows that it is so when clients get leases they get told about the WINS server.

Essentially I had to do the following to get scanning working:
On my samba file server, enable WINS service
On my router DHCP config, set the IP of my file server as the WINS server
On all clients, refresh DHCP to get the new config that included the WINS server address

Craigisarobot
Jul 25, 2007
yea, a REAL LIFE ROBOT
Does Vimeo videos not work for anyone else? All I get is a black screen with no audio when I try to play Vimeo videos added from my queue. It also doesn't grab the thumbnails like it does everything else...

edit: Quick review: other than not playing Vimeo, the weird .wmv's I tried to play and the awkward online tv watching, I'd say this Boxee thing's pretty legit.

Craigisarobot fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 16, 2010

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Craigisarobot posted:

Does Vimeo videos not work for anyone else? All I get is a black screen with no audio when I try to play Vimeo videos added from my queue. It also doesn't grab the thumbnails like it does everything else...

edit: Quick review: other than not playing Vimeo, the weird .wmv's I tried to play and the awkward online tv watching, I'd say this Boxee thing's pretty legit.

The audio plays for me but the video doesn't

In related news, my box decided to not boot up again after I shut it down following a freezeup and it not taking either .9 or 1.0 releases so off to Amazon it goes until a replacement shows up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I ordered one and received today from amazon. I got it to play files off an external drive (mainly anime files.) So far it is pretty useless to me as the subs don't show up on any of the files I have tested. Also noticed that FLAC audio causes some cracks/pops when playing at times. The VEVO app is cool though watched a couple of videos. The remote also is pretty good, backlighting would be good but nothings perfect. I know they are working on SSA/rear end subs so I will wait and see what happens.

Well I checked their forums and rebooted the box and checked to make sure that overscan was set to 0. Now subs show up. I also didn't get the cracks/pops in audio after the reboot, weird but hey its doing what I wanted it to so yay.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 17, 2010

• Locked thread